Mint

So I researched the big gad hack that was made on linux mint.

From all the fuss Sup Forums game me I was thinking it was something like shell shock.

Apparently someone longed into their servers and replaced the real ISO with a modified one.

Whats the big deal?
Its not a hack or venerability in the OS.

Everyone can do this and this is the reason I utterly hate package managers (stay alone installer 4 life!).
If you are not getting your ISOs from torrents you deserver everything single thing you get for your retardation.

90% of Sup Forums are windowsbabbies from Sup Forums who will find any excuse to shit on Linux because they are underage and still have a tribal mentality.

The other 10% are NEETs who waste all their time using Arch, not because it's a superior operating system but because they have accomplished nothing in life so they chose an operating system that will flex their epeen.

Arch and other maximal autism distros are for bragging rights.
Its like they want to feel like uber hackers to show of their haxxor skills like taking 3 hours to configure a OS to even start in a DE.

They like the mystic of a hacker.

This was brought up in a thread yesterday. The same thing could have happened to any major distro maker. Ubuntu, Manjaro, Fedora. People want to use that as an excuse to shit on a polished and popular distro like Mint. Sure, Mint isn't everyone's cup-o-tea, but to denounce it because some faggots hacked them is ridiculous.

The other argument is insecurity through delaying security updates and kernel version updates for the sake of "stability". But if you can't figure out how to change the update settings to allow all updates should you really be using linux?

Nice try.

The whole point is that they obviously had shitty security on the server end. Regardless of what OS was hosting the ISO they had a security vulnerability. People aren't upset about the OS themselves it's more the point that the devs behind the project were dumb enough to let this happen. Would you hire a security firm that brags they've got the highest qualified guards that go through the best training that didn't stop a heist just last week? It's a weak example but the point is that its the fault of the people in the organization and they're the ones contributing to the OS

>arch
>using a de
They'd be doing it wrong.

>>Everyone can do this and this is the reason I utterly hate package managers (stay alone installer 4 life!).

Noone messed with any package manager though, you start out telling a story that has nothing to do with package managers and then claim this is the reason why you hate package managers?

It's like saying "I saw someone crash a car, this is why I hate fish" there is no logical connection between your premises and your conclusion.

>Whats the big deal?

1. It's more confirmation of what we already knew: That the Mint team knows absolutely fuck-all about security and is a bunch of utterly incompetent morons at best. This message NEEDS to get out, to make people stop using this joke of a distro.

2. People who downloaded the ISO off the mint webpage in this time frame are definitely affected.

>The whole point is that they obviously had shitty security on the server end
True.
I bet some retard uses password 123456 or some shit.

>didn't stop a heist just last week?
I expected the max security be in the Os not the distribution method.

You get what you pay for so torrent or buy a physical CD/DVD from them if you want to have the real OS not some fake crap some Russian uploaded.

Buying CD/DVD made this (((security hack))) a non issue.

Its a separate topic.
Its connected by the fact that you are relaying on a server to deliver you programs.

If you have everything off line(installers and OS) and verified its not a problem if their website gets taken over by the Russian mob.

Fair point. It is the fault of the retards who got hacked to not check their downloads. Why didn't just torrent it baffles me.

>2. People who downloaded the ISO off the mint webpage in this time frame are definitely affected.

True however I have this inner schadenfreude about all the kooks who got what they deserved.

All of them where gullible idiots only a few steps away from
>Your PC is infected download this free anti virus to fix things.
Levels of easy to trick and having no security knowledge.

So they deserve everything they got.
Every single thing.

If you are serious to use a OS you think about the distribution method this means
1) Forking over $6 for a DVD
If you did not do this you are a greedy jew who got what he deserved.

2)Torrent the ISO
This is the option for people with technical knowledge and who don't want to give money.
Since its super hard to fuck with the trackers and you deserve everything you get if you use the mint website to get your torrent file.

So to avoid this you needed to
1) pay $6
or
2) Have technical knowledge

This only affected greedy idiots, nothing of value was lost.

>1. It's more confirmation of what we already knew: That

Personally I liked how they where honest about it and communicated with people to try to fix the problem.

>the Mint team knows absolutely fuck-all about security and is a bunch of utterly incompetent morons at best.
Even the best security is worth nothing if some smart ass called their hosting provider
>Hello this is Bill Gates CEO of Linux Mint; Mint-Soft my password was reset can you loge me in from this new e-mail?

Or some moron used a weak password, this tells nothing about them not having the ability to make the OS itself secure.

However this casts them in a bad light and I'm looking for a better distro.
Any recommendations for a multimedia live CD/DVD web OS who supports flash (don't give 2 shits that its outdated of or a security venerability in my security model its 100% safe) and has a good (cinnamon, XFCE) DE?

And I don't want Ubuntu.

Why is Ubuntu cinnamon not a thing? There would be no reason to have mint if it were

I agree with this post

They pushed their unity DE to get all the hot, sweet action form all the win 8.0 crowd who could not get enough of the sweet metro UI action.

Mint is best distro desu

So any really info on how this server problem was created?

Was is someone logging in or what?

Funny thing is that there are more people who complain about arch elitists than actual arch elitists nowadays on Sup Forums

Are you surprised?
We did get the
>Arch is best distro ever ZOMG !!111ONEONEONe
So we tried and it was absolute shit, since there are more people who go tricked by super autists/trolls there are more people warning others about arch.

Yet xubuntu, Lubuntu, kubuntu, and u Ubuntu gnome all exist

Ubuntu is a botnet senpai.
Sends everything you type to Amazon.
It literally has a keyloger.

>sudo apt-get install cinnamon
It works fantastically. Heck, better than GNOME, which is embarrassing, considering that it has an official flavor.

you can disable it from settings
and from 16.04, it's disabled by default

Had nothing to do with package managers.
0/10 made me reply.

>polished
>crudely hacked together pajeet shit like mint
Kek

And the point of the whole thing is that nobody should have been able to log into the servers. That shows incredible negligence. And why should we trust the visibly shitty distro to be secure when they can't even keep their website secure? (We already know they can't into security given that there is nothing whatsoever in the way of security advisories, security updates are optional, &c.)

Why not use both windows and Linux? I mean I'm 18, I own a computer company, I know 5 programming languages, and I use both windows and Linux (Linux on harddrive and windows in VMware)

/thread

>Why not use both windows and Linux?

You actually have work to do.

OS evangelists have only that to identify with. This is Sup Forums.
All Sup Forums is Sup Forums