Wincucks will defend this

>Get system update prompt in linux/macOS
>chose to update whenever you want, and after installing you can postpone the restart
>Get system update prompt in Windows 10
>SAVE YOUR DOCUMENTS HIDE YO KIDS HIDE YO WIFE GO TO THE FALLOUT SHELTER YOU CAN'T DO NOTHING TO POSTPONE THE INEVITABLE RESTART WHENEVER WE CHOOSE TO DO IT AND AS A PLUS WE WILL RESET ALL YOUR SETTINGS AFTER THE UPDATE

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/anjYNCj3
ktgee.net/tpg.
certification.ubuntu.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use a Win10 laptop for work, 2 months old, and a couple times a week I will open it up to see it configuring updates. So annoying when I have to sit at a customers house while this laptop does what ever it wants.

Yeah no I like me some windows but I'm not going to defend this. Going to switch to a linux box with vt-d as soon as I feel like buying a new CPU.

unfunny

Some poor schmuck was using the school computer to give a powerpoint presentation when this shit happened.

I use windows for almost all my computational needs but it's inexcusable and part of Microsoft's new trend of forcing their vision down our throats. Can't do much about it though, Windows is the de facto with mac as a somewhat near second, but I hate macs. Linux is fun for a secondary computer

>Get system update prompt in linux

Nigger you are doing it wrong.

>block svchost.exe in windows firewall
>windows update permanently disabled
Wew lad, that was really hard

>have to go through hurdles to use your OS
what happened to "The OS should serve the user"?

Probably died for windows because of the transition from xp to 6,7,8, and 10.

People got into the habit of not updating for years until their IT guy at work made them. That doesn't work so well now that Microsoft has a track record for breaking small things with small updates.

Who is THIS semen demon?

the same board that says Mint sucks because it doesn't force updates on users, ladies and gentlemen

Why the fuck don't you set it to only download and install updates when you tell it to?

>man, I don't like this default setting
>should I change it?
>
>
>nah, I'll post on Sup Forums instead

if your linux box gives you a system update prompt, you already fucked up and I can't save you.

> wrote his own master makefile

This is now a rato thread

>have to go through hurdles to use your OS
What OS are you using if you can't manage even that? Android?

>Dude use Windows, it just werks, lainecs a meme
>Windows did a thing you didn't want to? it's your fault for assuming that windows just works

Am Wincuck but not going to defend this. It's annoying af.

But whatyagonnado, it's that or use an ancient version, an expensive option (Mac) or the clunky pain in the arse that has about 10% of the Steam library (Linux)

Asuka Langley

I have never been forced into a reboot, and am usually notified like 5 hours in advance before the system plans to reboot.

If people seriously can't figure out something as straightforward as the update deferral procedure on Windows, what chance do they have with Linux?

also, what he said

You're using Linux but are too stupid to change a setting in a drop down menu in fucking Windows?

>t. Microsoft Pajeet

HelloRato

hard to select something that doesn't exist

gpe lol

hello Rato

Is she hot or not? Can't decide.

I don't know OP.

I have Windows 10 on my computer at work and I've literally had no issues with it.

Meanwhile I'm 3 days in to trying to get Kubuntu working on my new gaming desktop and it's barely functioning correctly.

How are you fucking up an Ubuntu based distro

Literally never had a windows PC restart for no reason. I think you're making things up, pajeet.

You got the meme wrong you Moron

Pajeets use Linux because they can't afford anything else in their shitty country

I'm not fucking anything up shit for brains.

Faggots like you make trying to make the switch to Linux insufferable.

I did a fresh install from the latest ISO release and followed all the documentation exactly.

My hardware is just too fucking new for the fat autists who work on Linux software to support properly apparently.

I was in the Kubuntu IRC support channel for 5 hours last night troubleshooting 2 issues with a bunch of self professed experts. I got one resolved and one KIND OF resolved.

There is still so much shit to tackle I doubt I'll be playing things like Star Citizen or Planetside 2 by the end of the week with 2-4 hours a day of time spent on trying to set things up.

This is basically inexcusable.

>update linux
>bootloader breaks
>update windows 10
>half of your drivers break, settings get defaulted and adware gets reinstalled
>os x? no one really cares about that

All of my hardware was released in the past 3 months. I have a Kubuntu install working perfectly fine.

This is 100% a *you* problem. Don't blame the distro for your own downfalls.

Well, i guess use W10. Nobody cares. Really.

I have to run sudo ethtool -s ethname speed 100 duplex full autoneg off to get proper internet speeds every time I boot.

I've tried turning off auto negotiation and setting speed to 100 in the GUI and it apparently doesn't work.

I've tried adding the command to the whateverthefuckitwas.rc file to get it to execute automatically and it doesn't work.

Now, if you can magically tell me how to get the Intel I219-V network interface working properly at gigabit speeds when nobody else has been able to yet I'll suck your dick.

If not fuck off.

just tested - running commands from /etc/rc.local works fine.

`sudo nano /etc/rc.local`

add your shit in there. Save. Reboot.

I've already done that.

If I add the line in rc.local, save it, and reboot network speed defaults to 1000mbps which isn't playing nice with the kernal or something.

I can confirm it's in rc.local by opening the file up and verifying the edit.

It's just running before network is up or something and doesn't actually apply the change, I have to do it manually. The fact that the GUI option for these settings isn't working either is inexcusable on its own.

this meme has gone too far

hi there u cheeky bastard

Toss a command in the file that you'll be able to check if it executes. Something like

echo "I ran nigga" >> ~/fuck.txt

I'll try it when I'm at home in front of the desktop again.

I want to get all this stupid fiddly shit working so that when I start trying to install Steam, a VM, WINE etc so I can actually play games I'm not getting cucked by stupid bullshit every step of the way.

So far that seems to be a linux way.

I don't care
I need more of this bitch

asuka best girl

Hello Rat o

my gf

>that belly button
fucking dropped

I mean, I usually dont take seriously anyone who uses word cuck, but now seriously, did to anyone happen that windows decided to just close all your shit and reboot ?

Because for me (win10) it stayed the same as in 7, it tells me there are updates and install s them and when I decide to shutdown, it goes to classical screen of installing updates 1/9999 please dont turn down your computer.

Sometimes it is a bit annoying because I have notebook and need to carry it around, but I have never experienced something as drastic as internet memes.

source?

couldn't find the sauce

how can autists go through intricate steps to set up their shitty linux OS but can't seem to manage to use windows at all? It auto updates because old people and retards don't ever update their shit and wonder what happened when they get fucked, you can stop auto updates it's not even hard. Crazy how a "tech" board can't even use one of the easiest operating systems to use: Windows.

If I have to jump through hoops to use my os, why shouldn't I use linux where jumping through hoops is easy?

I'm sorry, but your Linux distro is not responsible for proprietary drivers support. That's not that they don't care: they simply can't develop native drivers, so they would need to develop free drivers through reverse-engineering, for the purpose of which they maybe don't have the financial and human resources.

A lot of computers (as my almost-defunct HP) have poor proprietary drivers support (for me it was principally visual glitches), that's why you should document yourself before buying a computer you consider installing Linux on it or basically any 500$+ computer; so instead of complaining why wouldn't you give them 10 bucks so they would solve your problem for everyone.

My computer hasn't updated itself while I'm using it in a year.

Who do I need to give $10 to to fix my problem? The Ubuntu people? Kubuntu people? Linux kernal people? Intel driver people? Who?

I'm dead fucking serious. I'll paypal $10 to any nigger that can guaranteed get my onboard LAN working properly at 1000mbps speeds.

I'm trying to move to Linux because I'm not a fan of some of the decisions Microsoft has made with Windows 10, not because I'm a cheap shit.

If there was a commercial version of Linux that cost $100 but worked as well with my hardware as Windows and didn't require multiple hours of troubleshooting for basic functionality I would gladly pay it.

HelloRato

>SAVE YOUR DOCUMENTS HIDE YO KIDS HIDE YO WIFE GO TO THE FALLOUT SHELTER YOU CAN'T DO NOTHING TO POSTPONE THE INEVITABLE RESTART WHENEVER WE CHOOSE TO DO IT
Literally haven't had this happen to me on Windows 10. Y'all are fucking up.

>AND AS A PLUS WE WILL RESET ALL YOUR SETTINGS AFTER THE UPDATE
This, on the other hand. This pisses me right the fuck off. This is the real issue.

This is bait but here comes the answer.

Pic related. On 17th I disabled all updates, blocked MS IPs and since then Windows couldn't even check for updates, let alone update anything.

What did you use to block the MS IPs? Just the built in firewall?

If so, mind sharing the rule?

I opened the hosts file with admin priviledges and added these lines from the paste and saved:

pastebin.com/anjYNCj3

Hosts file should be on the boot drive at \Windows\System32\drivers\etc

I also used the Local Group policy editor to edit all update policies in such a way that they are basically disabled or delayed for months. Disabled telemetry too.

I'm using the Enterprise version, tho.

Ah yeah, am very familiar with hosts editing, and I made all the group policy changes as soon as I made a fresh install. I prefer to make higher level changes when possible. I wonder if the firewall rules would even be respected.

Thanks for the IPs and domains, user.

Reminder that Asuka was a brunette.

Same but even longer.

>>Windows 6

I think it's a real issue when you have to gimp your system to actually use it properly

Think he was avoiding saying Vista since it sucked too much

Retard, it's not that it's hard to do it, it's that you have to do that in the first place

>g

Where'd this setting?

Group Policy editor > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates

Easiest way to open group policy is to hit the windows key and type gpedit.msc.

Damn man, they really wanted to hide it didn't they

Eh, I wouldn't call that hiding it. More just the layout of a system administrator tool. There is no way in hell that the average user should ever touch Group Policy in general.

>system update prompt in Windows 10
>>SAVE YOUR DOCUMENTS HIDE YO KIDS HIDE YO WIFE GO TO THE FALLOUT SHELTER YOU CAN'T DO NOTHING TO POSTPONE THE INEVITABLE RESTART WHENEVER WE CHOOSE TO DO IT AND AS A PLUS WE WILL RESET ALL YOUR SETTINGS AFTER THE UPDATE
Why is this even an issue? Set the restart time for the middle of the night so when you shut down your computer and turn it back on the next day that was the restart.

>Open up group policy editor
>Select "Notify for download and notify for install" in Windows Update section

WOW THAT WAS SO HARD.

Also the "every update reset everything" meme.

I know that somebody desperately wants to fit in but seriously.

I wish I could help but my own hardware is pretty old and networking in GNU/Linux is Satan incarnate.

hahaha, no

>playing civ 5
>Has basically blocked win 10 auto update
>Win anniversary removed precautions i made
>Win 10 updates while playing game
>fml

I'm putting win 10 in a VM soon fuck this shit
- after I'm comfortable with Linux

her face is ugly

>get update prompt in Windows 7
>disabled forced restarts in group policy editor
>'pick a timer' window can stay open for a week or whenever I decide to reboot

you can block it with your firewall.
You can disable it by changing a policy object
You could write a powershell command to delete windows update

kek

It was in the idea that everyone with such problems would give 10$ to solve your LAN problem for everyone who experiences it.

Also the best thing would've been to buy another computer. That's too late now. I would honestly suggest you either to reinstall Windows 10 or to get a Thinkpad: ktgee.net/tpg.

You should have set that to Disabled.

>If the status for this policy is set to Disabled, any updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually. To do this, search for Windows Update using Start.

So basically, it won't even notify you, you'll choose when you want to check for updates and download them manually.

>learn the registry basics
>enjoy disabling the windows 10 updates

>she

hello,rato

Here you go user.

This is a brand new build, but the fact of the matter is there's not much of an excuse for brand new, non-obscure hardware to have these kind of issues. It's a desktop specifically for GPU heavy use, primarily games.

I already have a laptop running just fine for bullshit.

Sometimes I open up my windows 10 laptop and it did a surprise update without even notifying first. It will even wake itself up from sleep mode to do it.

I don't really mind, but I hate opening it back up and seeing a notification that Speecy was incompatible for some reason so M$ took the liberty of uninstalling it for me

>there is no excuse
Man you're running Kubuntu, no offense here but I know what I'm talking about.

You should check for Linux-certified hardware. Have a look at this: certification.ubuntu.com/

whoever makes these pictures fucking STOP now

Why is the Windows Update system so pants on head retarded?

>start an update on any Unix system
>package manager downloads every updated package and installs them
>restart may or may not be required if you've installed a new kernel version or generated a new initrd
>the end

>start an update on Windows
>found 80 important updates
>install 80 important updates
>mandatory restart
>thanks to the last update you now have access to 140 new import updates!
>install 140 importnat updates
>mandatory restart
>congratulations, you now have access to 30 new important updates!
>install 30 new important updates
>mandatory restart
>what's that? 15 new important updates!
>install 15 new important updates
>mandatory restart
>surprise, 450 recommended but not important updates are now available!

I'll switch distros if it will make a difference, but it has nothing to do with the distro. It's a problem with the linux kernal and drivers.

I'm brand new to linux, I'm trying to make an honest switch away from Windows as a primary OS. I'm encountering issues that I honestly shouldn't be, and trying to describe them to the linux community for perspective.

Unfortunately the linux community is filled with holier-than-thou "not a real distro" people like yourself who want to assign the blame for my issues to some shortcoming on my part. I shouldn't even have to consider compiling my own driver for my network adapter just to get it to work at the speeds it was designed for.

Linux certified hardware is a bullshit meme, too. That link you listed for certified hardware lists prebuilds only. I'm just not interested in another manufacturers idea of what hardware should be in my PC. I'm using late-model components from reputable vendors, and nothing really out there. All pretty standard shit.

That is isn't supported properly is a great example of the linux community being way too entrenched in 10 year old technology. No linux developers seem to have any incentive to make their shit work with modern hardware.

>I'll switch distros if it will make a difference, but it has nothing to do with the distro. It's a problem with the linux kernal and drivers.
Different distros use different versions of the kernel and have different versions of the drivers available.

haha, you have that tube too :P

>tube
I have no idea what you're talking about.

>:P
Remove yourself from Sup Forums.

If you have more than 1 or 2 updates for windows you arent able to use the OS properly. I mean arent you lunux tards bitching that windows forces you to restart? How can you have so many updates if it forces you to restart?