How big is the diference between an SSD and an HDD in speed?

How big is the diference between an SSD and an HDD in speed?

About as big as your mom

Your games will run faster and your computer will turn on fully in 10 seconds

Why are you here? Just go on YouTube for some benchmarks and see for yourself.

/thread

It varies. Everything, including background tasks will benefit from it. Depending on the age of you computer, the difference could be major.

how big is big?

as another poster pointed out, one unit of big is equivalent to OPs mother

I'm using one as just a boot drive, and it only takes about 5 seconds to reach the login screen, and another 5 to load the desktop on win8.1.

about 500%

0%

Takes almost 2 minutest to boot from my ssd. The same as when I only had hdd:s.

Bait

Substantially faster unless you get a cheap SSD.

What matters: IOPS
What doesn't matter: Sequential throughput

And no, boot time isn't the main reason. Those claiming that are mouth breathers incapable of doing more than using Fagbook.

>implying op is not a chatbot
>implying op have not being created in a laboratory

hkbchdc

Colossal

~100 MB/s vs 400-500 MB (SATA3) and 2000+ MBps over m.2

so anywhere from 4-5X faster to 20+x faster over extended file transfers

Thats not even mentioning the latency which I haven't factored in but will be very noticeably different. One relies upon spinning disk and moving parts, other is instant. Also fragmentation is an issue with moving parts, not with SSD.

ssds are a meme and slower than hard drives because of rotational velocidensity.

Big enough that you will not want to go back to HDD.

Hugely, having your OS and programs on an SSD makes a big difference.

But actually, putting games on an SSD doesn't have a big impact on loading times for games in 99% of games, so you're better off with a small SSD (120-250gb range) and a fat HDD for games and movies and other mass storage

Don't listen to these meme spouting faggots, OP. Real world speed differences are closer to 0.7 of your mom.

But the difference is still substantial. As is your mom.

amazingly

the 8 second OS boot time is one of life's greatest pleasures. programs like photoshop also see a big boost.

now, for gaming? depends on what you play. the one game that saw the biggest boost in my experience has been battlefield 4.

It's great for overwatch for whatever reason, important for locking Soldier before some shitter takes it.

you are better off with more ram than an ssd

Current year 7200RPM HDD do a decent job at loading gaymen etc. I've seen less than 20% improvement when it comes to SSD vs 7200RPM loading massive files such as textures etc. for games.

SSD's have their advantage when it comes to loading lots of little files very fast such as when you start your OS. Also they feel "instant".

One of the biggest advantages is that SSDs are silent, since they have no mechanical parts, no matter how great and high-quality your HDD might be, it still produces sounds of mechanical operations.

But the speed boost is really amazing, if you have a good SSD (Samsung whatever Pro or Intel - check benchmarks because only some intels are great). Programs execute almost instantly, booting takes under 20-30seconds depending on your setup, transfers are at least 4-5 times faster.

There's literally no observable downside to using an SSD as your boot-up disk, and an HDD as a document-storage disk.

/thread

>5 seconds to reach the login screen
That is with fast startup which is cheating and a dirty boot, because you restore a hibernated session instead of properly initializing the hardware as with any other proper OS. Check your uptime with the task manager, sometimes it can reach tons of hours.

With an SSD you can safely disable that feature because you can boot in less than 10 seconds.

Curiously enough I had this problem too. Turns out something I told to run at startup needed something off one of my HDDs. It threw a wrench into the boot and ruined startup times.
Basically if you install an SSD, then put your OS on it and don't see a night and day difference, the problem is you.

>booting takes under 20-30seconds
I'm using a mechanical drive that's eight years old and I can boot in that time (including the time it takes to input my password and load the desktop).

That wasn't the case for me when I was booting off an hdd, but I have a crappy 4yr old notebook cpu. So I wouldn't know if you can get an under 10sec boot up with a newer cpu, as some ppl here are saying.

If your computer handles like a mongolian clusterfuck in acid, then it does not matter so mutch which one you use.