/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Fox_(computer_programmer)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if I've changed /bin/sh to dash, removing bash shouldnt cause any problems on debian, right?
Or will it, because important things start with #!/bin/bash?

Why is ubuntu cinnamon not a thing?
Where can I find the official repos for Cinnamon? I find tons of unofficial ones, but no official ones.

Is it true that bash was developed by someone black?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Fox_(computer_programmer)
yeah

Does anyone know if you can replace bash?

You can install zsh and rename your /usr/bin/zsh to /bin/bash

yes. all you have to do is delete your /bin directory. It contains bash. When your system reboota it will automatically regenerate the required items in /bin

Cinnamon is in the Ubuntu repositories.

Thanks.
Won't that fuck up my system? I just want to get rid of bash, not any other programs.

>Mr. Fox also built the first interactive
>Mr. Fox

Why is this so funny?

Im using fish as my interactive shell, and havnt managed to make zsh as comfy when I've tried it, so I guess I'll just leave it installed.
I mean, maybe I could make /bin/bash point to dash too, since its bash but gimped, but I dont know if thatd break any of the scripts that grepping everything in /etc tells me use bash. Itd probably break something.

here we go again, why is Sup Forums full of cancerous meme kids? ;_;

temporarily, but reboot asap

I just don't want to use any software made by someone like him. Why is that so hard to understand?

Its ok user. See

You can trick the scripts by renaming bash to zsh as well. zsh is compatible to bash

Thank the KDE Shill later

That's supposed to break my system though. I still want to have a working system.

it will. permanently. /bin contains a bit more that just bash you see, and those things cant be rebuilt via reboot. Just delete the content of your bash folder and paste the content of your zsh folder where bash stuff used to be

See

>zsh is compatible to bash
It isn't, it is compatible to ksh, which is simliar to bash but not the same thing.

yup, that's a good idea as well

Oh, will it work in a VM? I'm gonna test it out first so I don't break anything

good idea, post results
It should work in vm, I don't see why not

post results of what? Are you implying something might break?

It depends on your ports
Can you show whats in there?
$cat /dev/port (you may need root passwd)

>zsh

/usr
/usr/ports
/bash

The version in the ubuntu repos is older than the one in the mint repos. 2.8.6 vs 3.2

results of my highly intelligent suggestion working as intended
I would like some praise to calm my vanity

>bash
>an image of a negro

I found out that some distros have bash in /dev/port

So I want to install debian, and keep windows 7 on my machine too. I have a 465 gb hdd, with a 100 mb boot partition and ~180 gb of data on my C: partition. I read somewhere that I need to put my boot partition for debian on the first 1024 cylinders of the hdd, so is there some way to move my C: parition up to make room for the debian boot partition?

Thoughts on Void Linux?

>nu-male.jpg

that looks like it might actually break something.
nah, you're just a trolling motherfucker.

cat file shows stuff, doesn't do anything newfag
$man cat

Here is why you're a retard:
a) someone interested in void will search for a pic of the logo and pick the first result
b) people told you already, but youre still posting your stupid image

why is the dollar there though?

Yeah, I saw that image. Is it a bad distribution?

Don't fuck with your C:\\

why do you think this is either an argument or an answer to his question?

It implies that you don't need root privilege for man command

>Is it a bad distribution?
yes

I was just being informative m8.
but again, I felt like maybe removing bash because im using fish for an interactive shell, and dash as login shell and /bin/sh, so Im not using it anywhere except these scripts. If I installed zsh, I wouldnt be using it anywhere either in the very same way. So theres no reason to bother changing it to zsh.

It is the same dumb shit as when someone has a "tumblr" image because they picked the first one from a google image search.

>WOW TUMBLR FAG LOL

Jesus, some of the people on this site are retarded.

Friendly reminder to share your GNU/Wallpepes:

So.. just rename your bash to fish. Simple :)

so i don't need to write it?

no.

I AM NOT TROLLING
I was merely pretending to be :^)
Seriously tho, does the simple switcharoo work?

>fish
That shit isn't even POSIX comptabile.

Fuck off with your commieshit.

Why is it bad? I'm legitimately curious.

Hourly reminder to rename your /bin/bash to /bin/fish if you don't want a negro shell in your system

>commie
found the politics illiterate

Less packages than BSD

>implying you know what that even means
>implying something can be posix "compatible"

Thanks user I really appreciate it. Just renamed bash to zsh

see

See

Why are you trying to bully me user?
I know fish isn't compatible with bash. $(stuff) doesnt even work, its (stuff) instead.
You're not just saying that because you've assumed im some newbie teenager, are you? I'm not, and If you are, thats a really nasty, hostile attitude to have towards new users, thats sure to drive them away. We dont want to do that, this is a friendly thread.

POSIX is a standard, the shell specific standards, a minimum which a shell should support, makes sure that portable scripts will work on your system

Neither is Linux minus GNU you fucking retard

Yes but no other shell will work with $(stuff).
You can always compile without bash if you are an expert hacker user

>last 3 threads were nice
>Sup Forums appears
>nigger shell!!!! commies!!!! reeeee!!!!
>already 65 shitposts

Nope, read up on the actual definition. And you have yet to explain how something can be POSIX "compatible"
also

>You're not just saying that because you've assumed im some newbie teenager, are you?
yes
>I'm not
No you are. If not you are a manchild (adult baby)

>using "reeeee" incorrectly as a simple expression of anger
>!!!!

i don't think i've been sleeping for 3 whole threads though so it's more like "commie redditor appears"

Not him but just don't write $(stuff) ?? So simple

Also only bash scripts will break. You don't want to use bash, do you.

What you're referring to as "Sup Forums" is in fact, "vanilla troll".

Its not. Hes saying "its shit" in the same way as people say
>ARCH *SHIT*NUX IS T3H WORST DISTRO EVAR!!!!!!!
Its a certain kind of distro he imagines Sup Forums would be likely to like, and so shits on it to demonstrate how far above all these loser autists he is.
Its not for me, personally, because too little software in the normal repos and I dont care to figure out xbps-src, but there are people who use it and seem to enjoy it, so its obviously good for them.

>muh correct usage of reee
that's where manchildren are contained

Thanks user

>muh
>not learning the local language before posting

Is it really lacking software so badly?

Never ask Sup Forums about distro opinions.

>,
Not needed here. Learn to speak English or fuck off.

>speak

>doesn't even know the definition of "speak"
As I said, learn to speak English or fuck off.

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

Gentoo

Why do you say that, user? Because I felt like removing something I'm not using?
Its not like im hellbent on getting it out to keep my system pure and aryan, I just felt like Im not making use of it, so may as well remove if it it wouldnt break other stuff. Though I see now that it probably would, and the only ways to prevent it either leave another shell Im not doing anything with around, or probably would break something anyways.
Its very confusing and strange why you'd think that just because I felt like removing something and asked my friends in /fglt/ if it'd be safe.
Looking down on others as 'skiddies' or 'retard noobs' because they wondered if they could do something you know probably wouldnt work is a very bitter, angry outlook to have.

find out for yourself
go to its website and search for the software you'd wanna install, see if theres stuff missing.

it's got a few quirks and differences from regular linux but, puppy is the lightest functional system their is. before anyone contradicts me, yes tinycore is lighter but it's not really functional as a daily driver

>not really functional as a daily driver
how can you say this?

Arch Linux

because it's a bitch to get up and running, the package manager is shite, and it's hugely lacking in software

>user friendly
>lightweight

so? how does what you've said mean it's not really "functional" as a "daily driver"

In what way is it not user friendly? It's pretty friendly to me.

so what are my options? how do people normally set up dual boot machines?

Ubuntu

antergos
wattOS (microwatt)

I dont understand how his race has anything to do with the software lel. go back to stormfront

if that's your ideal of a functional daily driver then you are part of the problem with linux

How does it not have anything to do with it? He directly made it, or are you saying he himself has nothing to do with something he made?

>you are part of the problem with linux
nice bunch of meaningless words there. i hope you realize that this "problem" is just something you thought up, nobody here can possibly agree with you unless you can specify what you mean by this. what you've just wrote is literally meaningless and retarded.