/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

casio-europe.com/euro/products/watches/g-shock/dw-5600e-1ver/
watchunique.com/
page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f180613852
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Screw you, Chas

First for tasteful replicas.

ayyyyy

Which should I buy?

>tfw the case of your watch is bigger that your wrist
I hate it

What is "Tough Solar"? Does it mean the watch is powered by solar power?

yeah that's just what casio calls their g shocks when they're solar powered

g shock if you need the resistance, the other one if you don't

g-shock
>more rugged
>more water resistant
>the whole outer shell is easy to replace if it starts to break down on you
>battery might last a shorter time than that other one? I think G's never promise anything super long
>I think it looks better

the other one
>looks are kind of funny but in a good way
>battery probably lasts longer
>that timezone crap if you actually would use it

I don't know about their prices but both should be really cheap, shouldn't they

I'd buy the G

>I think G's never promise anything super long
10 years i'm pretty sure

>playing hitman
>exploring sapienza italy
>walk past an ad
>have to go back and do a double-take
>gorgeous, elegant watch

I wish this were an actual product that I could buy, preferably with a black leather strap.

that looks awful, and especially not elegant
check out tag heuer, sounds like they're right up your alley. the watch in the game even uses their shield logo.

Is the only difference the lack of applied indices?

no actually they don't, they rarely promise over 2 years I believe:
casio-europe.com/euro/products/watches/g-shock/dw-5600e-1ver/
>2 Years - 1 Battery
>The battery supplies the watch with sufficient energy for approx. two years.

its probably 'cause g-shocks offer a lot of functions + their illuminators are strong (those 10 year ones tend to just have a led or two on the side)
they probably assume that the user uses a lot of alarms and backlight
as I've never had a g-shock run out of batteries in two years, I'd expect double that at the very least

>tag heuer

That's how I know your opinion is garbage. Thanks, but I don't want some garbage $30 ETA marked up to $1,500 for uninformed consumers.

Found some more pictures of you, comrade.

oh ok, i just assumed since the original g shock had the requirements "10 year battery life - survive a 10m fall - 10 bar WR" that it would apply to all later models.
that being said i'd expect a battery to last more than 2 years for normal use in that watch.

you're retarded

G because the other one looks funny and shit.

Please shitpost in another board.

Thank you in advance.

If digital watches have accuracy problems overtime, how do you know when that happens?

same way as with any watch, being digital doesn't change anything

Someone on the previous thread said this

>watchunique.com/
>Is the only authorized dealer in the world except seagulls own site and they are located in Europe. All the other variants you see are fake and not made by seagull

Does that mean the one I got from Poljot is a fake??

Poljot is a respecter dealer, and they say they import them straight from the factory.

Are there real original ones? Made by Seagull and other made by other companies?

This is puzzling.

Anyway, my Poljot Seagull 1963 is fantastic and I love it to DEATH

I wish there were more nice watches for lefties. It sucks having to operate a crown on the wrong side, and even if you're not messing with it, it just doesn't looks aesthetically pleasing opposite of the hand.

nth for shitters

>that being said i'd expect a battery to last more than 2 years for normal use in that watch.
that would be reasonable, yes

maybe they want to state a very modest estimate so that the tough solar models will seem more desirable, heh

Casio edifice line is cool af

difference to what?

Just a reminder that it is now 4 months since buzz Aldrin talked about a Mars watch and the Omega dude helpfully obscured the sketch.

of what is this a replica?

How did you know I suck dick?

The regular Ocean 1.

first watch.
i wanted to buy a decent and not expensive watch, so i decided on an SKX007.
i like it and feel like it's a good first wath, but, two months later after browsing /wt/ i feel like i should have spent a few more shekels and got something nicer.
is it possible for chapter rings to shift? i feel like it was lined-up better when i first got it

Seagull 1963 mechanical chronograph.

it's copying the double red sea dweller

Quartz crystal creep is normally a slow and steady process. You can get a sudden changes if you expose the watch to a lot of hydrogen or helium gas.

huh kind of, lugs are the worst part. wouldn't look very good without those either though

gshock is less autistic

This just came in the mail. So comfy.

It's not a replica? Why would you say that?

Why are you using the crown while wearing the watch? Personally I don't understand how righties stand having the crown on the wrist side.

>and even if you're not messing with it, it just doesn't looks aesthetically pleasing opposite of the hand.

Actually a decent looking watch, I wouldn't wear a commie watch myself, though.

Nice

Would i be safe buying this off ebay? I live in sweden.

ebay.com/itm/N-O-S-Men-s-Vintage-Soviet-USSR-Russian-watch-RAKETA-2609-HA-ORIGINAL-Serviced-/122266930170?hash=item1c77ad4bfa:g:yjMAAOSw6DtYTqAD

ID?

Because it's a replica.

Glycine f104

g-shock + kindel

It's a replica because it's not made by seagull who is the original maker of the watch back in 1963

I think I'm getting trolled here.
Citizen makes Miyota movements. They wouldn't use anything from outside since they manufacture their own shit.

They do in some of their Bulova

Enjoying my blue heritage chrono

Nice homage.

it looks like an owl

n i c e
I really like that watch. It's pretty big though, probably too much for me.
The color scheme just works so well.

That cream perlon works well with it

It's more of a biege than a cream. Pretty close to the same colour as the dial.

hell no it looks like hot garbage with that watch

...and the dial is as creamy as it gets

Ur mum is a quartz

I'd say biege.

Tudor just launched a Pelagos left hand that, imho is absolutely a beauty.

I realize it is an expensive watch, but if you lefties have enough disposable income, this is a great watch to have; and maybe the kind of watch to own for the rest of your lifes (specially, since there aren't that many options for you).

If I haven't just bought the BB Bronze I may have grabbed one myself.

Cheers.

>ur mum is an objectively superior timekeeping method

Who made it then?

Just chillin with my Seagull

Yea its p nice, lawyeranon

Islamists wear it on the right wrist toi.

Looking great, user. Congrats.

>first watch
Don't let yourself down user. The first watch you buy will never be as good as its followers for the simple reason that this hobbie demands a lot of learning and searching for what you like.

I say enjoy it greately and start saving for your second, more wisely chosen, second watch.

Congrats anyway.

>the lugs are the worst
That's true. Why did they decide to separate them from the case?
Big no no in my book for a diving watch.

Congrats user.

Nice.

Kek She might just be.

Yes, I have noticed that here and there.
But they wear a right handed watch on their right hand, while this is a real left handed watch.

It would be quite hard for me to adjust the exact time with my left hand, and I supose lefties encounter this problem as well with lots of watches.

>chinkshit rip-off of vintage chinkshit
>tasteful

>Don't let yourself down user
hey thanks for the reply
i like the watch!
i've owned a few different watches in the past without ever giving it much thought.
a big part of my investment in the Seiko was to see if i really wanted to be someone who wears a watch.
so far, i think i'm hooked

>so far, i think i'm hooked
Oh, man, you're in for a treat (and some self induced poverty, but anyway) enjoy your Seiko and please, whenever you acquire a second watch, share it in here too. What other watches do you like?

timezone and threads like this are a great source of information.

Cheers.

It's no Man on the FUCKING Moon, but it is a damn nice mechanical chronograph considering the price. I'd take it over the heritage any day just because of its profile from the side. Way more character than the 'alpha' chrono, which seems to be one of the only real alternatives unless you want to spend wayyyy more.

But man, it's not a replica. They re all made by Seagull and solde by different dealers, like Poljot24

Hey, if I send you the link to the Grand Seiko Astronomical Observatory, will you buy it for me? :')

I have been waiting for that link!!

If the conditions, seller and price are adequates, I might; and I normally don't buy watches through the net.

Please share it.

As a lefty I have never had a single problem with using right handed watches, aside from a slight contortion to us chrono pushers. Having a crown digging into my hand all the time on the other hand seems fucking awful, I don't know how you can deal with it.

>What other watches do you like?
haha.. well, a lot of them!
I feel most attracted to divers and I have to admit that I've always thought Rolex were cool and I've kinda always wanted one, even since I was a kid. currently i don't have the expendable income for one and i'm not sure that i could ever justify spending so much on a watch, but we'll see
My current interest began when I started browsing watch threads on some other forums and decided I like the looks of various watched by Resco and MKII.
I like mechanical watches and think my next one will probably be another Seiko
right now i'd like to find something like pic related

Seagull 1863: what else?

>conditions, seller and price are adequate
lol

page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f180613852

go crazy, slick. It's expensive as dicks and we'll probably not see another one for a very, very long time.

U buy them un shops? Full retail Price and everything ? Why?

>I don't know how you can deal with it.

Well, in my case, I wear my watches in the correct place, BEHIND the bone of my wrists, so they never reach the back of my hand.

The turtle reissue has that style case, and I recall one user has his on that type of band. That dial design though is really unique, and I'm kind of curious myself if anything currently made is like that.

>is it possible for chapter rings to shift?

In my experience that's a common issue with entry level Japanese diver watches.
Had a SKX007 and a Citizen NY0040 with misaligned chapter rings in the past and many people here and on WUS have reported the same issue.
>Japanese QC

If it really bothers you, take it to a watchmaker to align it but it will be overly expensive and as a beginner you won't have the skills to do it without fucking it up.
In your place I'd leave it like that, enjoy it and someday you'll buy a better watch.
If it really triggers your autism, take nice pics from good angles so the misaligned chapter ring is not noticeable and sell it on eBay like I did :^)

if you buy real high end shit, it makes sense and the price difference isn't even going to be that big (if you can even find any deals online)

its only stupid if you're buying cheap seikos and whatnot

Not seagull, the movement may be a seagull movement but the rest of the watch is not manufactured by them

Definitely the Casio Royale

I wear bracelets almost exclusively, unless I make them unbearably tight they never stay that far back on my arm.

>turtle reissue
SRP777? i like those

>If it really bothers you,
it doesn't really.
while i didn't/don't know much about other watches, i read a lot about the SKX007 and i did know what to expect when i bought this one.
i do like the watch and i'm not really the kind of person who sells stuff on ebay, so i'll probably just hang onto it for quite a while.

Neither.

Hello, fellows.

I've just purchased a classic Casio A164W. Is there any way I can turn the display into a negative display?

Thanks

kek

You don't pay full retail in shops, you haggle down the price. I went in to look at Rolexes and I asked if that was their bottom price and they said if I was actually interested in buying we could talk about the price.

Is that the 42mm?

What's your wrist size?

In the actual shop, user?

Ayyyy

Yes, the actual shop.

My 90s Tag Huehue arrived today. It has a couple of scratches on the crystal so I might get that replaced at some point.

I also need to either get an extra link from somewhere or have the diving extension always extended as lithe bracelet is slightly too small.

Replace the polarizing film, but negative displays fucking suck in terms of readability in most lighting situations outside direct sunlight so I don't recommend it.

Post lume shots /wt/