/nuclear/

Koreans have just started commercial operations with their new APR-1400, built inexpensively and quickly.

world-nuclear-news.org/NN-First-Korean-APR-1400-enters-commercial-operation-2012164.html

What is your country doing in the field of nuclear technology?

If it isn't doing anything, why?

Other urls found in this thread:

static.iter.org/com/360/2016-10/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>koreans
>cant even keep a ferry properly maintained
>now have their own reactor

Cherynobyl 2.0 incoming.

>hyundai
that shit gonna blow up with just one cruise missile from fatman

They've had research reactors since '62 and commercial reactors since '78.

Yes, but this one is built cheaply and quickly.

>this one is built cheaply and quickly
relative to other reactors, it still took 8 years.

Further, the designs have been worked on since the early 90's and have been in various stages of technical review since the early 2000's.

>If it isn't doing anything, why?

The UK gave up on interesting nuclear tech years ago after the AGRs turned out to be a dud.

Now we're building an extremely overpriced EPR that will probably take 20 years to build.

>Now we're building an extremely overpriced EPR that will probably take 20 years to build.
God damnit why is every step for nuclear a step backwards

Obama and the Democrats.

>shtting on hyundai
delet

>EDF has acknowledged severe difficulties in building the EPR design. In September 2015 EDF stated that the design of a "New Model" EPR was being worked on, which will be easier and cheaper to build.

JUST

It would be quicker and cheaper to bolt together the submarine reactors that the Navy uses.

Or just use the Korean or Russian stuff.

>Korean

>Cherynobyl 2.0

Wasn't that Fukushima, a General Electric (american) BWR MK1 which they said "yeah its fine, just keep using it"

Where's muh LFTR? No seriously, we have much safer and more efficient designs on the table that are either ready to go now or just need a bit more r&d. Where the fuck are the reactors that are actually worth a damn?

>Where the fuck are the reactors that are actually worth a damn?
Not in the US thats for sure. New reactors were approved in North Carolina but they are only Gen III+ design.

People are still afraid of muh Chernobyl and muh Three Mile Island, and that you'll get cancer and die if a power plant is built anywhere remotely near civilization. We could have energy costs cut by a third but people would rather pay out the ass on their electric bill because of retards that only want solar and wind.

We had a pretty decent nuclear weapons program going on during the military dictatorship, but that obviously ended when democracy came back. We've got 3 current reactors, one 100% nationally designed and constructed one set to begin operations in 2019, and we're set to cooperate with China so we can get one of their shiny new reactors. There's a bunch of really liberal provinces that made a bunch of stupid laws saying it's illegal to produce nuclear energy in them, but like a third of the population lives in the capital city or surroundings, so it's not like they were ever going to plan any of them elsewhere.

Apparently we had the world's first ever Slightly Enriched Uranium reactor, and also we supposedly export a shitload of cobalt for radiation therapy or something like that.

All in all, not bad at all for a South American 3rd world country.

We could go Chinese, if you'd rather :^)

It it fucked by both an earthquake and a tsunami.

Plus it had less effect that Cherynobyl.

You think that's bad?
>Australia
>33% of worlds uranium
>Abundance of thorium
>Mining rich economy
>Huge areas of uninhabited land (population density of 2.8/km^2)
>Competitively expensive electricity

>Nuclear power plants: 0

Trump is going to get rid of clean energy, but on the campaign trail he said a lot less about nuclear than he did promising to gut clean energy, and promote fossil fuels.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up of this changing anytime soon.

We could go Chinese, if you please :^)

FTFY

They are both rated INES 7.
Pretty sure its been shown that improved backup and emergency procedures would have prevented the Fukushima incident too.
At least BWRs aren't a giant pot with a lid i guess.

comfy reactor cutaways

Fukushima was overblown desu

www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/science/when-radiation-isnt-the-real-risk.html

We were SUPPOSED to both refurbish our very old reactors and build new ones, but first the provincial liberals made a fuss over "muh evil nukes" and now the federal libs are saying the same.

Look like Canada will remain firmly behind everyone in every field.

with ~5 reactors due to be shut down within the next 3 years.

To be fair those reactors are decrepit, but Origionally there were plans to repair those that could be repaired, and replace the ones that could not be.

Now because liberals are stupid we have dozens of windmills that don't produce a surplus ever, huge cash dumps into solar meanwhile there has been zero development of home-grown industry to support a cheap solar program (instead we just import endlessly costing way more than will ever be produced)
And skyrocketing electricity prices.

There were plans to build our first nuclear plant but the locals have chernobyl PTSD and they didn't want it, I don't know if they're building it or not, probably not though

Trump or no Trump, the department of energy will be getting two new POWER9 / Volta super computers.

Literally all Wynne's fault.

Dunno, constructing some plants here and freezing some there, running BN-800, moving towards closed fuel cycle?

Just little things, you know.

JUST

The joke's on you, they're burning coal in the basement.

I'm surprised the SJWs haven't started complaining about the lack of diversity and females in that picture.

>yfw you get the NUCC

I hate that dumb cunt so much
Our debt has more than doubled with her and mcguinty
Not to mention even the planned "green industry" development/infastructure which would have at least brough jobs back and have Ontario something to sel to other countries cheap like China and Germany do, was completely scrapped so now we buy from those countries instead of building them cheap for ourselves

It WOULD be less if we had the industry local to build everything ourselves, but instead they're importing everything
And if we had that we could offset the costs by selling to other countries.

Just because we haven't built them doesn't mean that we've stopped working on new designs. We're currently selling new generation CANDU units to any third world shithole willing to give us money from the proceeds of criminal activity.

Pickering is an absolute mess and costs more money and staff to run than it's worth in generation capacity. Shutting it down will probably force the government to commission new reactors at darlington.

>they are both rated INES 7
Only because of the large xenon release which is nothing because it just floats up and away into the air and decays off within a day or two.

Just build some Solar Roadways, surely more solar will bring the price down!

here's some fusion

Also here's a 360 view of the whole reactor complex: static.iter.org/com/360/2016-10/

Fusion's fucking awesome

I worked in ICF for a few years. Cool research but wasn't as popular as MCF even though ICF is more promising. Now that NIF is built it really isn't that far off.

ICF is far less promising for practical purposes than MCF and I still think it's the wrong way to go about fusion. The Soviets had it figured out with Tokamaks, they just needed more reasearch and size. The LHC proved that megaprojects with research purposes give results. If I didn't already have a job doing research I'd put my physics degree to use working on ITER.

>improved backup and emergency procedures
well if you are suggesting not keeping diesel backup generators necessary to keep the reactor cool below sea level next to the ocean then yeah improved procedures would have helped.

a pretty good procedure for anything ever would be whenever you say "whay about this scenario" and someone says "thats impossible, it can never happen in a million years" the procedure should be to ignore them.

like if you say what happens if an earthquake and tsunami hit at the same time and someone says no way its impossible, don't respond with "ok lets build our nuclear power station next to the sea without any consideration for tsunami" instead respond with "maybe we should look into this a bit more"

same with chernoble, "pulling all of the rods out is kind of dangerous, plus we are running at low power, plus the steam separators are fucking up constantly plus this reactor design is kind of shitty", "it won't meltdown thats literally impossible do it anyway"
whoops.

fukushima was a fucking close call. if raiding car batteries in order to vent explosive radioactive gas is in the procedure manual i will be impressed.

nuclear is great when you don't let idiots run it. which is everyone.

Thanks for the link user!

Canada has infinite oil so who cares? It would make sense to build more refineries and use your oil domestically instead of exporting it through the US....

How long before the septic-tanks Stuxnet it?

This is the future of our species

Hope I can see an efficient and stable fusion reactor in my lifetime

Holy shit, that it one tan gook

Thanks, user. Love these old-school engineering drawings.

And unlike my country which is now devolving from solar to fucking COAL, at least the Koreans built a reactor to keep themselves proficient between now and the time when either solar becomes free, or fusion becomes scalable.

Fuck this country and fuck stupid people.

It was probably more of a money issue.

>Yea, we know putting our generators next yo he sea might not be a great idea, but we can't afford anything else. With our economy being in shambles since the eighties we had trouble enough getring the go ahead on this whole reactor complex period. It will probably never be an issue anyway...

It is amazing how much stupid shit people will do to cut costs.