/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/nKaXywW8
github.com/awesomeWM/awesome
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/extra_keyboard_keys#Identifying_key_codes
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce#Startup_applications
extensions.gnome.org/extension/15/alternatetab/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>mfw freetards in this very thread are posting using google botnet captcha on a closed source proprietary imageboard

that picture makes me want to be there with him, can't see the real depth that exists

Woah, thats so deep I bet you're really smart
do you use Arch linux?

Just finished burning the Gentoo ISO (livedvd-amd64-multilib-20160704) onto a USB. Debating on whether or not I should go ahead and install it tonight on my desktop or my newer laptop from last year.

my desktop specs are :
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
Memory: 8.0 GiB Total
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

I don't know what is wrong with it but sometimes it'll turn on but no power goes to the USB ports and there will be no video output or power to my mouse/keyboard unless I turn it off and bang on it a couple times, then turn it back on in which case I'll hear these two clicks after a few seconds of powering it on, which is directly related because without the two clicks (about a second apart from each other) it just turns on but nothing else happens, no video output or power to usb.

Does installing Gentoo require a lot of reboots? If so I'll just wait until I get my ac adapter for my laptop (pet rats chewed through the chord a while ago and I'm ordering a new one on payday).

Please don't feed him

>and bang on it a couple times
You are retarded.

> case I'll hear these two clicks after a few seconds of powering it on
Clicks or beeps? That's strange. If clicks backup all your data ASAP, your HDD might be dying(aren't we all?).

>Does installing Gentoo require a lot of reboots?
Only if you fuckup the kernel compilation.

Kill yourself, retard.

Is it actually posible to dual boot with NixOS?

clicks, but only twice before giving power to anything or actually booting after that it's smooth sailing

Yeah, that is how it usually is. Ir only clicks on when starting. The weird part is that it seems too homogeneous.

Also there are not many things on a computer that can click.

aye, but if it's just the hard drive then why is it turning on but not getting any power to any of the USB ports or sending any sort of video signal?

Yes

Do you achieve it through the configuration.nix file or do you have to go deep into the grub.cfg or use another program like arch's os-prober?

That's indeed strange. The HDD might be making the POST software crash or something.

Try unplugging the hdd and test the problem persists.

install linux
install windows
boot linux
use grub to autogen

Can someone explain the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager? Is a DE just a window manager + special apps and stuff? Is there any reason to choose JUST a WM

>Is a DE just a window manager + special apps and stuff?
Basically yes.

>Is there any reason to choose JUST a WM
If you don't need the extra stuff or the WM of your preference is not packaged with any DE.

In practice you will end up installing most software that comes with a DE and will build a DE of your own.

You can even create a package for it. Just create a empty package, with configuration scripts, and add all the software you used as dependencies.

What WM would be a good choice if i went the solo wm route? I know there's stacking and tiling, but are they all pretty similar?

Probably OpenBox or i3. I don't use any of them thou.

A full DE may have some 'integration' features by which the programs it ships work closely with each other
additionally, programs developed as part of or for a particular DE, in the case of gnome and KDE, will often all depend on a bunch of libraries.
But in terms of actual use thats entirely right, they're just a bunch of software bundled together
Maybe dont choose just a WM if you want things preconfigured and comfy out of the box.
I'd say most of them are pretty much as good as each other.
Openbox is pretty good, like user said.
I can attest to CWM being pretty nice too. Uses window groups instead of workspaces and comes with command runner
dunno anything about tiling WMs.

>A full DE may have some 'integration'
I can't think, normal case, where this integration is DE specific. They usually adhere to open protocols, like libnotify and dbus.

Just submitted my first app for the App Store review!!!
Wish me luck guys.

(It's actually a well developed app and I'm kinda ashamed of doing mobile but the money is good)

I suppose its just an extension of 'preconfigured', demonstrating that it can be more extensive than just the default rice.

Is there any benefit to installing Ubuntu Gnome over installing Ubuntu and then Gnome?

you don't have to install ubuntu then gnome.
better configs too

Well, I'm posting from Linux right now and so far my experience has been pretty shit.

It's starting to feel like it's almost working correctly at least. On the other hand, I'm having to use a shitty manual override every time I boot to get functional internet speeds.

Anyone willing to help troubleshoot an Intel I219-V on board LAN that won't play well with Kubuntu under the latest kernel and updates? There is no real official driver support, and I'm at the limits of my understanding.

>manual override
make a script and have it run every time you boot

What's the best ad-blocking extension for firefox in KDE?

>im using KDE btw

I tried adding it to rc.local but it didn't work.

>KDE
That makes no difference whatsoever, the program isn't affected by stuff like that.
The best adblocker for firefox is ublock orgin, though.

I'm brand new to this, I don't know what's relevant and what isn't just yet.

I didn't realize I was in the sarcastic GNU/Linux thread.

Can anyone recommend a decent video-editing software for Gnu/Linux?

Haha.

Just use uBlock origin my man, turn on all ad-filers prettty much,.

Yeah? now make like a tree and split!

try KDE's autostart thing
>Settings>>Startup and shutdown>>autostart

ffmpeg

I want to edit and make a youtube video.

In the network manager gui I can set the settings I need, but they don't appear to work. Not sure why that it, but the gui software "store" doesn't seem to be working either.

My secondary HDD is recognized by the system and formatted, but isn't mounted.

How do I get it mounted, and so that it will be mounted at boot.

Muon a shit. Synaptic is better. Though if you'd rather have an 'app store' look I suppose ubuntu software center'd be the only option, I dunno if it'd pull a bunch of unity dependencies or not.
Ive heard kdenlive is good.

>KDE

ehhhh

>youtube
botnet

add to your fstab

I've been giving Void Linux a whirl on my Thinkpad T420
It appears to be a good quality distribution of the Linux Operating System
The separation of the package management system into several binaries is an interesting choice

Sorry, I'm running Arch

What desktop environment / window manager are you using currently?
I have been giving i3 a try, as it gets a lot of praise here

dank

In the progress of setting up Gentoo with XFCE on my Lenovo B575e laptop. I've used Gentoo once before as a server, but configuring a fully functional desktop has proven more difficult.
I'm at a point where i don't know what to do with ALSA. I can play videos with sound in MPV after creating a .asoundrc, but Firefox is lacking sound. I've read somewhere ALSA can only broadcast sound from 1 source at a time, unless you configure it right, and nothing seems to work for me.
Should i go install pulseaudio and see if that does the trick for me? Can someone explain the downside of pulseaudio to me?

if firefox trying to use pulseaudio flag?

>Can someone explain the downside of pulseaudio to me?
there was a problem with a pulseaudio ubuntu package 8 years ago and people haven't stopped talking about it

Ive been using I3 until my config got fucked and I wouldn't be bothered to fix it.
I3-wm, Openbox, and Awesome are top tier.

If you're going down the WM route be prepared to be spending a few hours more preparing, customizing and maintaining your system than if you just used a full fledged DE.

In the end don't fall for the memes. Use whatever makes you the most productive. I felt I was pretty productive running i3wm but spending a day going through old forum posts and documentation to see where you fucked up your rice is sometimes not worth it.

I need help with awesome. Ive followed all the instructions and install imagemagick but i still get an error when building with make.

This is the CmakeOutput.log
>pastebin.com/nKaXywW8

This is the error when running make
eyburv@acr14 ~/Downloads/awesome-3.5.9 $ sudo make
Password:
Running cmake…
-- cat -> /bin/cat
-- ln -> /bin/ln
-- grep -> /usr/bin/grep
-- git not found.
-- hostname -> /usr/bin/hostname
-- asciidoc not found.
-- xmlto not found.
-- gzip -> /usr/bin/gzip
-- lua -> /usr/bin/lua
-- ldoc not found.
-- ldoc.lua not found.
-- convert -> /usr/bin/convert
-- Could NOT find Doxygen (missing: DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE)
-- Not generating manpages. Missing: asciidoc xmlto
-- Not generating API documentation. Missing: ldoc
-- Checking for modules 'glib-2.0;gdk-pixbuf-2.0;cairo;x11;xcb-cursor;xcb-randr;xcb-xtest;xcb-xinerama;xcb-shape;xcb-util>=0.3.8;xcb-keysyms>=0.3.4;xcb-icccm>=0.3.8;cairo-xcb;libstartup-notification-1.0>=0.10;xproto>=7.0.15;libxdg-basedir>=1.0.0'
--
--
--
--
--
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:424 (message):
A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:597 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
awesomeConfig.cmake:134 (pkg_check_modules)
CMakeLists.txt:15 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/eyburv/Downloads/awesome-3.5.9/.build-acr14-x86_64-solus-linux-6.2.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
make: *** [Makefile:24: cmake] Error 1

Or maybe im just too stupid to read error stuff properly...

Could NOT find Doxygen (missing: DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE)

do you have doxygen and xmlto installed?

>A required package was not found
Dependencies are always a bitch.

How's KDE Connect as opposed to a general file-transfer app like Portal?

I've always used the latter but, ever since I installed openSUSE, I've been feeling inclined to explore more about what KDE has to offer.

I was certain that wasnt required because all it does it build documentation

if you don't think its the cause then verify other dependencies; they're listed on their github
>github.com/awesomeWM/awesome

I have a lot of appreciation for GNOME, I just wish my computer wasn't so shit that is runs slowly

lmao

eyburv@acr14 ~/Downloads/awesome-3.5.9 $ sudo make
Password:
Running cmake…
-- cat -> /bin/cat
-- ln -> /bin/ln
-- grep -> /usr/bin/grep
-- git not found.
-- hostname -> /usr/bin/hostname
-- asciidoc not found.
-- xmlto -> /usr/bin/xmlto
-- gzip -> /usr/bin/gzip
-- lua -> /usr/bin/lua
-- ldoc not found.
-- ldoc.lua not found.
-- convert -> /usr/bin/convert
-- Found Doxygen: /usr/sbin/doxygen (found version "1.8.12")
-- Not generating manpages. Missing: asciidoc
-- Not generating API documentation. Missing: ldoc
-- Checking for modules 'glib-2.0;gdk-pixbuf-2.0;cairo;x11;xcb-cursor;xcb-randr;xcb-xtest;xcb-xinerama;xcb-shape;xcb-util>=0.3.8;xcb-keysyms>=0.3.4;xcb-icccm>=0.3.8;cairo-xcb;libstartup-notification-1.0>=0.10;xproto>=7.0.15;libxdg-basedir>=1.0.0'
--
--
--
--
--
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:597 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
awesomeConfig.cmake:134 (pkg_check_modules)
CMakeLists.txt:15 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/eyburv/Downloads/awesome-3.5.9/.build-acr14-x86_64-solus-linux-6.2.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
make: *** [Makefile:24: cmake] Error 1

dwm is best

I've heard he smells bad

->

pls, if you really appreciated Gnome you would ignore its short comings and shittalk other DEs for the same failures.

does anybody unironically use slackware?

please
removepkg yourself.tar.xz

Probably not worse than you

What countries stallman was?

>unironically
as opposed to fucking what?

Khazaria

Which manualy override?

What app?

grinder for Sup Forums and Sup Forums

>have to use grep
>can never remember if the pattern comes first or the filename
>have to just run "grep" to figure it out
>waste precious CPU cycles and my NEET time

I know its been said before, but how can a guy be so autistic that he can't put his laptop down as he travels the entire world

seeing marvels of mankind, and the beauty of nature, but this african fellow is just looking down at a screen the whole time

Sorry, but you must be really retarded. Do you think he works on his laptop all the time? How can you be so stupid not to realize that all of those perfectly focused pictures are posed?
Here, for your brain.

>hey mr. stallman I like this location, please go and sit there with your laptop for this photograph
>"only if your camera uses free software, punk"

How to tag images in linux? Do i need and programs or just use this kde dolphin tagger?

You're an idiot, but I'll do you a favor:
Pretend grep is an abbreviation for Gnu REgex Parse. It isn't, but let's pretend.
You're parsing. Parsing for a pattern in a file.
grep(arse) pattern file

Or just remember that the word grep ends with p, and the thing that follows it has to start with p: The pattern.

>grep(arse) pattern file
>(arse)

Are you calling me an arse, mate?

global/regular expression/print
Why don't we have GNU gres?

Hey /fglt/, a linux rookie who quite recently switched from Xubuntu to Fedora XFCE on my T60.

Now, when I first booted the system, the sound and hardware volume keys didn't work at first, but after a couple of hours of googling and trial and error I managed to get sound back into the damn machine.

Now the command which is
echo 0xffffffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey is not permanent, so that means I have to type it out every time I want to enable sound in fedora.

Now how do I go about adding it so it boots with the system simultaneously?

Thanks in advance.

A hacky solution would be putting that in a script and running it via Xfce's autostart.
However, I recommend looking further into the problem. I don't understand why you have to do that and I doubt that's the optimal solution. Check out of your keys are recognized at the lowest level with this

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/extra_keyboard_keys#Identifying_key_codes

If they are, it probably means they're not being correctly assigned for volume changing. That's a problem you can solve at Xfce's level or whatever you're using to change volumes (I use volumeicon and it can handle that just fine).

Thanks for the reply.

How do I find the xfce start-up script/procedure? Because I will do that then.

I use pulseaudio to control and mix my audio, or that's atleast what came with the damn distro anyways.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce#Startup_applications

What's the difference between
xset s off
and
xset s noblank
?

man xset

off prevents a crt from powering down or sleeping
noblank prevents a crt from blanking ( cathode stops scanning)

How can you modify GNOME so it has stuff like a bottom taskbar and alt-tab for every window open, not just programs that you can expand with a mouse?
Currently using Debian, but I've used CentOS which has a taskbar and the alt-tab thing and it's too useful to not use.

I'm running Transmission on my home server.
I'd like to run the downloads through a VPN but keep the remote control (on port 9091) outside it.
Is it possible?

Shouldn't even be hard

noblank draws a pattern instead of making it blank
check the man page

Yet I can't figure it out.

My last resort is to use a virtual machine and put all the VPN'd services I need there.
But I'd rather avoid that...

How do you even torrent through VPN?

extensions.gnome.org/extension/15/alternatetab/

GNOME could me much more improved with a few extensions, take a look at the GNOME extensions page and test some of them.

Also, you can control the extensions directly on browser, i don't remember if it works on Chrome, so use Firefox to be sure that i'll work.

You start the VPN client and start downloading things.

Are you that guy from #/tech/ from last night?

The end-point of that VPN should do natting for you, doesn't it?

So, when you want to remote control your server, just use its real IP

Sup Forums I need some help

Today I was trying to install aircrack, reaver etc on my ubuntu 14.04 install that my laptop came with, everything was fine ,but after rebooting the enable wifi option was gryed out, looked around internet and rfkill unblock and editing a config file didn't help, it says hard blocked = yes in rfkill list, even after sudo unblock commands

So I went to bios to see if they were enabled and hit load defaults button, but now every time I restart I get only Dell Recovery and hitting that th ubuntu logo loads for long after I get ubuntu lsf shell or something,

I contacted Dell and they said to put HDD priority in first and select Legacy in Boot List option, after that rebooting says "no boot device found" so they said the ubuntu is corrupted, and I gotta reinstall

Is there anything I can do to fix this?