How do I into linux?

How do I into linux?

>inb4 install gentoo

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=Beginners&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&status=Active
computerhope.com/issues/ch001121.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=R33sFFhgkWk
askubuntu.com/questions/7477/how-can-i-add-a-new-user-as-sudoer-using-the-command-line)
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/jessie/20150906/)
ubuntu.com/desktop/developers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

install gentoo

install solus

install manjaro

haha jokes on you, im already going bald!!!

Download linux.exe
Run it
???
Shitpost in /fglt/ - Faggy Gay Linux Thread

user, I don't recommend asking anything on Sup Forums, you only get meme answers. Watch some videos and find a distro you like.
Coming from someone who dual boots, Linux in general is a meme.

hello rato, your mom is going to die in her sleep tonight

HelloRato

Why do you want to into linux?

Do you need it for a job? Are you learning it so you'll be more employable? Are you a programmer looking to expand your horizons?

If you answered "Yes" to any of these questions, I would highly recommend downloading Fedora and giving it a spin in a virtual machine. Red Hat is everywhere in the enterprise world, and you want to start off on the right foot.

Ubuntu is another good choice, Ubuntu is mainly popular with people who roll their own servers without any paid support, and you can't really go wrong starting with either one.

Once you're more familiar with Linux and maybe want to experiment with VPS's and running websites, CentOS is the free stable server version of Fedora, and Ubuntu LTS and Debian are both free stable server versions of Ubuntu. Debian has MANY more packages supported, but worse support guarantees.

You can stop here. Below is a list of other distros and why they're probably not worth your time:

- Mint is basically just Ubuntu with a different interface.
- SuSE has some popularity in enterprise but in my nearly two decades of using Linux professionally and as a hobby I've never seen a machine in that uses it in the wild.
- Arch and Gentoo are basically for Linux hobbyists who want a lot more control over their systems, but they're also both pretty bleeding edge and unless you have the know-how to fix stuff you'll just be incredibly frustrated. Using them on servers is a 100% no-go unless you do not give a fuck about uptime of your services.
- Slackware is also pretty squarely for hobbyists. It's stable, but it doesn't quite work like anything else on the list, and trying to find support for it is much harder. At least Arch and Gentoo have decent amounts of documentation available.
- The meme distros are too numerous to list and it mainly consists of Sup Forums idiots trying to be different for the sake of being different.

I just want to make my desktop look something like this:

hi kevin

Hey guys, OP here. I'm about to install Linux Mint and I am very excited! Anything I should know before I do so?

Continued from - The BSD's are quite rare to see in the wild as well, and I would put them pretty squarely in the hobbyist category as well. Unlike Ubuntu/Debian or Fedora/CentOS, there's no big Cannonical or Red Hat company who is backing development of the ecosystem. Leaning a BSD will give you some general UNIX knowledge, but many of the specifics of configuration are different. It's just like an obscure Linux distro except ten times worse.

go to linux.com, download linux.exe and run it

Don't
Go with Ubuntu as your first distro, there's no reason to install Mint over Ubuntu

OK, I'm about to get it right now.

I do not recommend using Linux as a desktop operating system.

If we have Windows as a yardstick at 100%, you can have Linux 50% as functional easily. There will be an additional 25% that will be doable, but kind of a pain.

What will kill you is that remaining 25%. Stuff will either just not be available, not work, or be incredibly flaky and require constant attention via the command line. Eventually, you will dual boot back to Windows to get that remaining 25% back. And then, eventually, you just stop booting into Linux because why use a Desktop OS that you can't do 100% of what you want to do in.

I recommend getting a program like VMWare or Virtualbox and installing Linux into that. If you fuck up, you can easily flatten it and reinstall without losing your documents. And who knows, you might be that special snowflake where Linux actually manages to encompass 100% of what you want to do with a computer, and in that case, you'd install it on bare metal.

But not to start out. Use a virtual machine to satisfy your cravings for novelty or just to learn something.

Fuck yourself, kill yourself, then fuck yourself again

>tfw
I shouldn't have ignored the rato for so long.

For the use case you presume:
CentOS = yes
Fedora = no

I'd like to know this too.
I have two internal hard drives. Windows is on the main, my secondary is just storage for things like games. How much memory will it take? I'd like to install it on my games drive if it doesn't matter

Go here and pick a distro distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=Beginners&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&status=Active

Then determine if you have 64-bit vs. 32-bit CPU, or just got for the 32-bit
computerhope.com/issues/ch001121.htm

Then go to youtube and watch how to install it, is like 15 minutes youtube.com/watch?v=R33sFFhgkWk

That is absolutely all you need.

Depending on the distro you need around 20 gigs, just don't forget to NOT put the option of wiping the disk during the installation and probably resizing the partition. Distros like ubuntu do this automatically for you.

Install Ubuntu and learn to use the GUI first.
When you do that, at some point you'll have to start using the terminal for your needs, so you'll learn by using GNU/Linux. Search the web for how to do things in terminal. In terminal type man man, man bash. Good luck.

Just install Elementary OS. It's the nicest looking and most noob friendly Linux out there.

I have seen good looking men with hair. I have seen good looking bald dudes.

I have never seen an attractive looking half-bald dude.

Just saying.

Install Debian. All of the guides and stuff that work with Ubuntu/Mint will also work with it, as will 99% of software. Debian is a very mature OS which is feature rich and stable (which is also why Ubuntu is based on it). The community is friendly and helpful. I recommend Debian over Ubuntu because Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) is the Microsoft of GNU/Linux. They're fucking evil and include spyware in their OS.

Small bumps you might hit while setting up Debian:

>need to add your user to sudoers group to avoid running everything as root
This guide (askubuntu.com/questions/7477/how-can-i-add-a-new-user-as-sudoer-using-the-command-line) will be helpful.

>need non-free firmware for wifi and stuff
You should add it during install. To do this create a new directory (aka folder) on your desktop called "firmware", then download the zip file from here (cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/jessie/20150906/) and extract it to "firmware" on the desktop. You can the copy that whole directory into a second flash drive or other storage device. When installing, boot from your bootable media, then plug in the second flash drive. The drivers will be automatically detected by the installer.

Any other problems can be solved easily with a Google search.

Protips: For most packages you install with the command line, you can just type "apt" instead of "apt-get" so that you don't need to type as much. Also sudo is used to give your user more power without the great responsibility that comes with root. Sudo is good for you, so don't use root unless you really need it.

>dirty feet
how in the FUCK do you do that to yourself? This isn't 1600s england

It's your bread. You're eating it.

Actually I recommend OP tries Wubi so they don't mess with partitions just yet.

hello rato
Original comment

Hello rato. I'm afraid it might already be too late.

sudo apt-get install gentoo
sudo gentoo --play-dialbo2.exe

Hello rato
Fug

Yeah and let windows be 100%
Every user of free software have to fight for more users
If we dont propiertary will be the only one
Also more users means more support and maybe porting stuff to linux

HelloRato

hello_rato.

I do not recommend using Windows as a desktop operating system.

If we have Linux as a yardstick at 100%, you can have Windows 50% as functional easily. There will be an additional 25% that will be doable, but kind of a pain.

What will kill you is that remaining 25%. Stuff will either just not be available, not work, or be incredibly flaky and require constant attention via shitty disorganized settings menus buried in metro settings apps or control panel or CMD with inconsistent UI. Eventually, you will dual boot back to Linux to get that remaining 25% back. And then, eventually, you just stop booting into Windows because why use a Desktop OS that you can't do 100% of what you want to do in.

I recommend getting a program like VMWare or Virtualbox and installing Windows into that. If you fuck up, you can easily flatten it and reinstall without losing your documents. And who knows, you might be that special snowflake where Windows actually manages to encompass 100% of what you want to do with a computer, and in that case, you'd install it on bare metal.

But not to start out. Use a virtual machine to satisfy your cravings for novelty or just to learn something.

See how I can make these posts with zero evidence too?

>centos on desktop
lel

Also is there a reason to even use CentOS at this point?

>Also is there a reason to even use CentOS at this point?
No. I mean the only reason people put up with Red Hat's garbage is because of their paid support. (Remember, Red Hat's business model is making their stuff buggy and difficult as fuck to use and then selling support for this garbage software)

CentOS is an absolute fucking joke and everybody who's used it for more than a year in a corporate setting would know this. (Although to be fair, everything else is a fucking joke as well, especially debian-based distros)

What do you use, chum?

Debian netinstall with graphical installer. Best one I have seen, even compared to Ubuntu. At the end pick the desktop environment you want, for starters try Xfce, it feels like Windows.

If you don't like screen tearing, go with KDE or Gnome.

heloRato

go fuck yourself
just install kubuntu or fedora with kde and shut the fuck up

hello rato__

Hello rato!

literally, Install Gentoo

you will learn a whole lot if you are willing

>the only reason people put up with Red Hat's garbage is because of their paid support. (Remember, Red Hat's business model is making their stuff buggy and difficult as fuck to use and then selling support for this garbage software)
tfw is all true

hello-rato

Hello Rato,

1. select disto
2. download said distro
3. put on usb/cd
4. boot to it
5. install it
6.???
7. profit

hello rato

;(

hello rato

:
:

The only thing this thread has taught me is that Sup Forums has got more trolls than Sup Forums....
I dun goofed:
>Started with fully functioning pre-built
>Upgrade
>Upgrade
>Upgrade
>Fried my 1TB HD running Win10
>Now stuck with monster machine that I can't get screen on
>No screen = no way to diagnose
>Scrap rig running ubuntu
I feel sick...

hello rato!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello rato ;)

hello rato ;_;

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

hello rato
>no spam

Hello rato, please dont get me bald

ubuntu.com/desktop/developers

I'm already balding prematurely, this won't help me.

kek

hello-rato

hello rato!

Enjoy being bald.

HelloRato

Helo rato

> They're fucking evil and include spyware

The Amazon spyware is hype, it's included only in the Unity desktop, it is disabled by default in the 16.04, and it's proven that disabling it closes all network connections to Amazon.

Also, recommend Debian Sid.

Oh Herro ratto-sama

Ey ratty