/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/t/858551/problem-fixed-gpu-squealing-solution-inside
cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Recommended_graphics_cards_for_AMD_dual-graphics.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/VLYjRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/KV7tLD
pcpartpicker.com/product/zFGj4D/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-0f23019
logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/product/xdmxFT/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xud3
youtube.com/watch?v=dYHVUrXOwbI
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#F=1
awd-it.co.uk/cit-phaser-black-midi-pc-computer-case-usb-3.0-500w-psu.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pls help

I have a new Msi 1070 and there is a squeeky noised from one of the fans what the fug is this

my fan will die???

No.

Go google it.

I did and everyone just discusses coil whine which it definitely is not

Zotac 1070 mini is decent or should I just go with FE?

In any search engine, you can remove words from results.
For example, I did this-
>"Squeaky noise MSI 1070 -"coil" "

And got this link
overclock.net/t/858551/problem-fixed-gpu-squealing-solution-inside

If you actually read the thread and yes I did see this result they go on to just talk about capacitors, nothing with the fans

What with Kaby Lake being the blunder of the century, would it be wiser to build my next PC with Skylake or is Ryzen showing some promise?

can you give me a sitrep on EVGA ram

Unless you need to upgrade right fucking now there is no harm in waiting to see if ryzen comes out good. Certainly what AMD have shown off looks promising.

Patented black heat spreader technology is fastest at running from cops. It is particularly suited for running TOR exit nodes. Green text adds an environmentally friendly edge that makes it the best RAM for bitcoin mining as well. Built in green texts will also make copy pasta more delicious and lies to strangers on Vietnamese finger painting boards believable.

There might be plastic strip in fan

Why do retards save and re-post stupid shit like this? Nothing in that image has been manufactured for years.

I need a mobo with shitloads of regular pci slots
I accidentally got shipped 10 pci sata cards and amazon said i could keep them
So im thinking massive fuckton of storage build, as each card has 4 sata connectors

Also need a psu with lots of sata power connectors

And a case with like 10-20 3.5" possible mounts/bays, or room to shove alot of modular racks inside it

Total build doesnt have to be fast, isnt gonna be more than just a nas, just want a ton of space possible

Is this really true? My friend always insists that SSDs are so much better, but I keep calling him a retard who wasted his money.

You know Windows 10 has no PCI drivers

Then ill use non-generic drivers
Or just not use windows 10

Yeah, next time use that picture to show him he's a retard

>also-re-exploding-gtx590s.htm

Im replacing my i5-2500 none K version 3.7 top speed

should I wait for these ZEN processors i just heard about
are they gonna have better gaming CPUs around 250$ than intel and when do they come out?

I just threw together a small build to hold off until Zen comes out. At some point I'll add a GPU in Crossfire with the APU. Spent $170, how'd I do? I've already got 4GB RAM for it. I know that's low, but I'll be getting 32GB DDR4 when Zen comes around.
>A8-6500
>ASRock A68M-ITX R2.0
>400W PSU

>crossfire with integrated GPU
Wat?

With APUs you can crossfire with a GPU. APU I selected works with Radeon HD 6570 and 6670 GPUs.
cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Recommended_graphics_cards_for_AMD_dual-graphics.html

>((((accidentally)))) send the goyim 10 pci sata cards worth $10
>let the goyim buy hard drives worth $500 afterwards

I'm still whittling away at this until I'm confident I haven't over or under built it, and I'm looking for any advice you guys have to offer.

pcpartpicker.com/list/VLYjRG

Building this thing for gaming. Assume an unlimited budget, but I am holding off in some areas purely because 4K doesn't seem worth it to me yet, and if I do make the jump, the 1080 can still do it. That's why there's only a 1080p monitor for now. I'll swap it out later when I'm more convinced by 4K.

What I really want to know is.
Does anyone have experience with the Phantom? The website claims that without a fan, it has more room for the CPU cooler, but I need to know if that fan is easily removable or if I'm somehow supposed to order it without it, because at present, my cooler is too large to fit while that fan is in place.

Is cooler and motherboard too much or too little? RAM and HDD's are easy for me to compare by the numbers, but I don't know much about CPU heat problems or mobos.

And yes I'll look into an SSD later. Maybe. But I want this thing functioning first.

Also related as I haven't dipped into researching them yet but wouldn't mind having a place to start. What would you say is the best M&K?

First time building one of these. I'm sure there are mistakes.

Lol didn't knew. My last AMD was a Phenom II i believe, since Q6600 i'm with Intel.

Whats the build order again? Using a stock cooler.

Is it cpu fan case then whatever?

>want to buy a rig for the first time
>looking at parts online
>cases are all XXX RATED COD:BLACK OPS RICE XD tier shit
>choice of graphics cards are either piss poor 710 for 50 bucks or top tier gtx 1080 for 300
>same deal with processors
whats my best plan in this situation? all i do is play dota and jack off all day

Decent start but still has a lot room for improvement.
You could swap the UD5 for a UD3 if you don't need all it's features. Your HDD is overpriced for a Seagate. Either drop down to a Toshiba P300 or WD Black or get a HGST for the price.
MSI Armor is generally worse than other cards, get a PNY as budget option or if it doesn't mattr get a Asus Strix.
No experience with the Phantom, but you know the are cheaper and better cases?
Also, buy a used monitor if it's just temporary.

With a case that has a psu mount above not below do i put the psu fan facing up or down

dissapointed

wen zen ?

So with the mobo plate, mine has these sort of bent things, it seems kinda bs just how bent they are

What's wrong with the Seagate? I don't know much about brands and what not. But it seems like this Black will only save me $10ish dollars, and has a few noise complaints. Granted, the Seagate has few reviews so I can't judge noise on it.

Seems like the only thing the UD3 drops is the two SATA 6's. Express is faster, right? Are express ports and 6 ports compatible? Assuming you don't talk me out of it, my current HDD has a 6 port.

Went ahead and threw the STRIX on. Those are some goddamned glowing review.

The biggest thing I'm worried about with the case is know all this shit will fit in it. (No really. I'm new as shit at this. If there's an easy way to know, please tell my ignorant ass.)

You're looking in the wrong places of you can only find min/max shit.

Budget? Here's a cheapo $550 to support your dota and a little more as an example.

pcpartpicker.com/list/KV7tLD

That's on pretty much every I/O shield. They can make installation annoying if your case standoff doesn't have a mounting post. Just bend them back, it'll give no issue.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/KV7tLD
i should mention i'm in australia and half of those places dont ship to me

I have an old computer I'm looking to upgrade.

I play shitty blizzard games, and RTS with millions of little things running around doing shit.

I also have my TV hooked up as a second monitor just because.

My current computer is probably 10 years old. I want to play on max graphics without lag and have 1000's of tabs opened up in firefox while I do it.

My budget isn't limited but I don't want to spend too awfuly much if I don't need to.

yes or no fags yes or no

>what's wrong with Seagate
See Blackblaze. Anyways, you HDD is not bad, but either you get a good standard HDD like a Toshiba P300 or a high-end one like the HGST 7K6000.

>noise compliants
If noise is an issue then get a silent case and probably a mounting kit for the HDD, too.

>SATA
SATA 6G and M.2 is all you need. Your SATA 6G HDD won't be faster if plugged in into a different interface.

>STRIX / ASUS
Very high quality parts. They currently have a cash back special, so mobo + GPU should be Asus right now.

>i don't know if my shit will fit into the case
Easy. Check the manufactuers websites and compare HSF RAM clearance, height of your RAM and max supported HSF heigth of your case.

Again, money doesn't matter at all or do you want to save or good value parts?

My video card is too big and is blocking my other pci express slot so I can't use this thing
are there other ways to get usb 3.0 ports on my old computer than this card? Even just one port would be good enough.

Assuming I get the UD3, it only has Express. Is 6 compatible with Express is all I really need to know. Also how about this?
pcpartpicker.com/product/zFGj4D/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-0f23019

I want the best parts I can find if they aren't ridiculously priced by hundreds of dollars above perfectly acceptable parts. I can afford to put pretty much anything in this rig. I'm just trying to balance my desire for the best thing I can build with my conservative spending habits.

You realise the UD3 has 6x SATA 6?
The HDD is fine.
Take this advice: you can get either a very good build with good parts and still save, or go full good goy mode and get top parts only.
Personally i'd get good value higher quality parts. 99% of the users won't need the super high-end parts anyways.
How long do you plan on keeping the build? If it's for like 3 years only, don'r overspend.

Do i connect the hd audio or audio 97 cable? Whats the difference

Is there any case similar to NZXT S340 but with 5.25 bay?

So I'm looking at this website

logicalincrements.com/

and as of now I'm thinking of exceptional. My max res right now is 1920 x 1200 and I probably won't get a new one.

The exceptional column seems the best for me because I don't want to upgrade this shit again for another 10 years but paying double for the Titan X seems like overkill.

Or would I already be overkilling with my needs? How long could I expect my computer to be good for if I build from that section?

Wonder if I'm looking at the wrong UD3.
pcpartpicker.com/product/xdmxFT/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xud3

What I'm really hoping is that I might be able to upgrade it later on. SLI maybe. Do you think the current CPU would bottleneck two 1080's?

Starting GTX 1080 and going right basically.

Read the fucking manual.

What's a good motherboard with similar specs to pic related but can survive for longer than one night without suddenly dying? Need a motherboard that can produce 125W to the processor and can last maybe like 3 years but I don't know if humanity has successfully achieved this.

Sup Forumsents, I have a problem and need to decide what to do NOW

tl;dr: Keep GTX 1060 or upgrade to 1070, 1440p occasional gaming, mostly just video editing, want to avoid upgrades for next 4 years.

In 3 hours the mailman will be here, until then I need to decide if I keep the GTX 1060 or send it back, no other chance before I go on vacation, then it's too late.

I paid roughly $260 for the ASUS STRIX OC, so pretty good deal.
For $150 I could upgrade to GTX 1070.

Everywhere I look people say "bro just get the 1070 or you'll have to upgrade in 2 years, pay it now or later".

I barely play new AAA titles, if anything GTA 5 on 1440p.

I just want a GPU that will hold up for the next 4-5 years. I do a lot of 1080p video editing and wouldn't mind if I can't play triple-A games on max settings.

I need a heatsink like the STRIX with fan turnoff function. So upgrading would probably be straight to a non-OC version of the 1070.

Look at the manufacturers website, never rely on PCP only.
What the fuck do you need SLI for? SLI is a HUGE meme. Selling your old GPU for a new iteration is better. I'd understand if you do CAD or something similar, but definitely not for games.
Idk about bottlenecking in thag range, but i doubt it.

Ok with the 12vatx 4 pin thing on my mobo, my psu (non modular) has 2 of them, but i think theyre gpu pins or something? Im not installing a gpu though, so what do i need to do with the 12v pin?

Mobo and psu for reference

Asus h110i-plus
Seasonic ssp-350gt

>i want to avoid upgrades for the next 4years
1070 it is. Price/performance cards are PNY XLR and Palit Jetstream, or get a Asus STRIX with cash back.

>Can't rely on PCP
Well this shit just got a little more complicated.

So let me ask this.
As far as my mobo goes, Z170 is the best chipset I can get for my CPU, I assume.

After that, I need to ensure that it has at least 2 DDR4 slots, although most are going to come with 4. I need to ensure the thing is LGA1151. I need to ensure its ATX. I need to ensure that is has at least 1 SATA 6gbps, though its looking pretty clear they pretty much all come with more. What else do I need to make sure this thing includes. Presumably a PSU connection?

I'm sorry if this is getting a little too aggravating. Learning as fast as I can but its always helpful to have another human confirm what I'm doing.

send it back and get an 1070.

Correction, Z170 is the only chipset that makes sense for a 6700K.
>PSU connection
You just went full retard, m8.
Have you ever touched any computer parts before? If not, start watching guides right now. Because your questions tell me you're going to fuck up your parts if you don't learn the how-to's.

PCPs compatibility check is fine, few details may be off, though. So don't worry, just double check it.

Ok so i tried to boot without the atx12v plugged in and it worked. Can someone explain this to me please? I really dont get what its for.

Just ordered this, guys.
Decent for iRacing on 1 screen? (possibly in VR at some point|)?

Since i have no replies ill add this image. Do i connect this to thw atx12v?

It seems wrong to me, especially since the wire says 300v and im pretty sure this the (single) cable used to power the gpu.

Absolutely disgusting.

Kek, why lmao

If you need to ask this question you should leave this board and enjoy your (((gaming rig))).

You chose the i5-6600 instead of the k variant.
You chose a B chipset motherboard.
If you aren't going for overclocking just grab a i5-6500 and an H170 chipset motherboard
If you do want to overclock eventually (might help give your system a little boost when it's getting old) grab the i5-6600k and a Z170 chipset motherboard.

Wait did you order that? What the fuck is wrong with you. Go build it yourself you fucking cuck, letting some random ass stranger handle your computer.

Ordered 6600k with z170 mini atx mobo by msi. Is it alright? My gpu will be 1050ti but im going to upgrade it somewhere mid summer when shit like 2060/1160 comes out. Was going to go 6700 + b150 but changed my mind

Thats fine, just make sure you grab good power supply.
It's worth spending 70$+ on a PSU if it ensures it won't fry your system.
Currently I'm using an EVGA GS 650, but never trust a brand (they make low quality shitty ones too).
Check the model and read some reviews (always check the 1 star reviews so you have every likely possibility covered).
youtube.com/watch?v=dYHVUrXOwbI

You can trust super flower

any fanless cards out there other than

>Palit Geforce GTX 750 Ti Kalmx Silent 2GB GDDR5 Card

?

Thanks.
Not sure if I can spend more than ~40 usd for PSU (thx 3rd world hole) but checking reviews is a must-do.
What can you suggest me regarding CPU coolers? I know I will buy super cheap one but I'm not sure what should I know about miniATX cases (Thermaltake Core V1 in my case).
Are Cooler Master Vortex Plus or Thermaltake SlimX3 good options?

mini ITX*

>any fanless cards out there other than
>i am too stupid to use a search tool

pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#F=1

google

fuck you cunt

thank you

so basically there's nothing
i just want a low wattage fanless build that won't cost an arm and leg

>t. Butthurt tech illiterate retard
Mouth-breaching autists like you should buy Apple products anyways.

Before I pull the trigger is there anything wrong with pic related?
They're all compatible?
Prices are in Austrlialand fun bux

Shit value build and meh PSU.

>1060
>400$

Bullshit...

Better PSU for the price? I'm sitting on a faulty Corsair RM750i right now. It stops working for days at a time at the drop of a hat (power outage, bad shutdown), I don't know if it's my current setup causing it and if new one will solve it or not.

>6GB
Know any better prices in Australia?

I'm not going for ultra cost efficiency, I just want a stable upgrade from my i5 750 / HIS 6770

Look at the other prices, its non-American currency.

EVGA 500B.

There's a 700B in stock, same deal?
Which brand is more reliable? EVGA or Coolermaster?

Is a raidz3 setup a good idea? I kind of don't like the idea of a software RAID and losing all my data if it fails. What are the advantages of building a RAIDZ3 array?

first time building my PC (moving from console, pls no bully), I bought this case
awd-it.co.uk/cit-phaser-black-midi-pc-computer-case-usb-3.0-500w-psu.html brand new from a friend, the psu is unbranded and has little details, should I change it? Is it really that bad to run a psu like that?

Never ever rely on brands. The EVGA 700B is fine, but overkill.

You just wasted 33 bucks, well done, user.

I bought the case off a friend for £10 because he didn't need it anymore (it was new), but will that psu be alright? I'm running on an i3 3240 and a gtx 650

>will the PSU be alright
Flip a coin. Either it will or we'll read from a kid who got killed by his exploding computer while jerking off to chinese cartoons.

Do 460 and 1050 need a power cable or can pcie power them?

>Just brought a gtx 1080
>dont get solid 60 fps on gta5
>amd cpu close to 5 years old
Should i get a new cpu? Is that my problem now?

Gee, i wonder if a 5 years old AMD CPU could possibly bottleneck a GTX 1080...

>i can't read the manual
Modern GPUs don't need electricity, they run on air.

upgrade GPU now or wait another generation?

I dont really game.

> ssdtroll
0/10 bait