*** DON'T BE CIVIL, NOTE THE 'HOSTILE' IN EVERY HOSTILE GNU/LINUX THREAD ***

YOUR HOSTILE NEIGHBOURHOOD SEARCH ENGINES ARE STARTPAGE & DUCKDUCKGO
USE THEM

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/ljcige.webm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Gentoo is for actual fucking autists

this should be a thing

GNU/Linux will never be as famous as Windows.

GNU will never be as famous as Linux.

Linux has lost it. SystemD proved it. Time to move to BSD.

not OP but I thought the point of the thread was to reply frankly to dumb questions and be elitist about everyone's way to use Linux.

Not just outright shit on it.
You fucking cunts.

Nice to see you set a good example

There isn't literally any reason to use Arch, only masochists and fags who likes mr robot uses a system that could easily fuck everything up with a update.

Install Windows

user we have the /fglt/ for that

Fuck windows gaymer babies
>can't use a fucking keyboard to navigate os
>can't write she'll scripts
>can't use terminal emulator
>can't use package manager

Then they cry and say Linux doesn't work?? YOU DONT WORK BITCH. YOUR THE PROBLEM NOT THE OS. FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUE GAYMES, IM GONNA SHOW YOU WHAT FREEDOM LOOKS LIKE.
BITCH

>she'll scripts
I'm on a GODDAMN PHONE RUNNING A BUTCHERED VERSION OF THE GODDAMN LINUX KERNAL YOU FUCKING GODDAMN BITCHES.

>2017
>still having autocorrection enabled

>2017
THIS DUDE IS A GODDAMN TINE TRAVELER.
Hey is gentoo still a thing in the future?

>a phoneposter complains about windows users

Every Windows user should kill themselves.

Every, single, one.

Why nobody is trying to hack Microsoft thou? You can bet they have all the keys to the backdoors in every Windows.

NO ONE HAS INSULTED GNU/LINUX IN FRONT OF ME AND LIVED.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I tried gentoo today.

I liked:
that emerge would install the application

I disliked:
that I couldn't install anything besides nethogs because emerge couldn't choose the right file and I didn't know how to do it either.
oh and took 30 minutes to install 5/7 packages I attempted to install.

first time I didn't hate using plasma though.

I'M UBUNTU USER
SON OF A BITCH ARCH USERS
ARCHFAGS IS PIG
DO YOU WANT AN UPDATE?
DO YOU WANT TO FEEL LIKE HACKER?
ARCH IS PIG DISGUSTING
AARON GRIFFIN IS A MURDERER
FUCKING ARCH

dem quints

ALL FUCKING LINUX AUTISTS! WHAT IS THE ULTIMATE AUTISTIC LINUX!

I liek this thread :3
it's so honest

>DUCKDUCKGO
botnet

checked

How can something that you don't download be botnet?

Fuck you you stupid fucking memer.

> :3
kys

:3

>how can a webpage you don't download be a botnet?
but you do.
>how can a website whose you don't execute code but only automatically share your queries server-side be a botnet?

back in the day Sup Forums used to post "install gentoo" ironically, because it was a heaving pile of shit

neo-Sup Forums took the meme seriously and now this board is filled with stupid fucking cunts wasting their time using it unironically

>"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company."
- René Descartes

You are a fucking canonical slave, I'm sure you dual boot with fedora.
Debian is the true OS, all heretics distros (includin faggentoo) must be eradicated.

Fugging jeanoo plus linecks

Linux is shit as a daily driver if you have cutting edge hardware or do any gaming.

WINE and PCIe passthrough are both memes and don't work well enough yet to be useful for games.

Richard Stallman has made stalled meme bittorrent.

Windows is what actual people use and GNU/Linux is only used by complete autists.

I'm prejudice against muslims

>can't write she'll scripts
>YOUR THE PROMBLEM...FUCK YOUE GAYMES

YOU GOTTDAMN MORON YOU'RE MAKING THINGS WORSE FOR THE REST OF US

I've literally never had a problem with arch. ever. have you ever tried it you mongoloid retard?

Fuck you

This shit pisses me off, and I'm tired of pretending it doesn't just so I don't feed the fucking trolls. fuck.

Micro$haft Windows really grinds my gears, every waking moment my gears are grinding from it and I don't even use it.

>linux thread
>rick rubin loudness war image
kys yourself

Wyndows is what vidya game playing manchildren and IT majors who were barely able to pass their Intro to Computers course use. Whats it like being to stupid to make your own software choices? Is ignorance bliss as they say or is it painful?

LOOK AT MY UBUNTU! LOOKK AT IT!
IT IS BEST DISTRO KILL WINDOWS
cHOKE ON mY DICK gen2
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>grinds my gears
Doesn't include peter.

I wasn't even being ironic or trolling.

how do i install ubuntu?

hey whats up you fucking niggers, i hate all of you and this is why linux sucks:

autismo@chinkpad8=D~ $ sudo apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_xenial_universe_binary-amd64_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

ps pls help maybe, i don't understand what's wrong and I want to fix it :^(

also
>ubanto just werks i swear goy
>have you ordered your Amazon Alexa TM yet?

Then you're a confirmed moron, great job.

kill your self

I'm gonna assume you were this guy, since the other 3 posts are fuckshit-stupid.

>Linux is shit as a daily driver if you have cutting edge hardware or do any gaming.
>WINE and PCIe passthrough are both memes and don't work well enough yet to be useful for games.

I agree that the cutting edge hardware bit could be a problem, but WINE and playonlinux seem to work fine for 80% of the stuff i've needed

Try sudo rm -rf /*?

Just kidding try sudo apt-get update to get an up-to-date list of repositories first

You're right, that was me.

WINE and playonlinux might very well work just fine for 80% of games out there. Plenty of games even run ok natively on linux now.

Unfortunately, the shit I actually want to play like Star Citizen and Planetside isn't as Linux friendly.

anything can be fucked up by an update, and arch is easy to install.

You're the Star Citizen guy from the other thread (complaining about drivers support from Kubuntu)? Can you consider:
a) leave this board;
b) stop complaining about Linux drivers and buy Linux-certified hardware; and/or
c) consider Sup Forums for anything related to Star Citizen and videogames?

Linux is not a desktop operating system!
There are two desktop use cases: 1. Home use 2. Business enterprise use
In both these cases linux falls short. In home use, software simply isn't available for many home use cases. Performance is abysmal. Permissions are confusing for laypeople. Etc. All of the server parts of the OS ruin the home user experience. In business use the OS fails to be able to interact with standard business software and groupware.

Linux is only useful for serving up web pages on the cheap, or selling web hosting on the cheap. Another use case, although very narrow, is computation in the strictest sense--render farms and data processing--both of which are NOT desktop uses.

In the use case of server, linux also falls short.
Filesharing uses the gimped out SAMBA which is inferior to plain old windows server with active directory. If you don't know why SAMBA is garbage then you don't have enough experience in the enterprise world.

What would you expect from a 40 year old design where the only innovation is copying other systems. (cups+samba, samba, open directory, kerberos, etc).

Linux isn't even useful as a platform for business communications--there is nothing on it like outlook server--and this is a dead basic requirement for the enterprise. There is no groupware, other than Lotus which is complete shit.

There is no unified authentication for remote users either. You're stuck with a mishmash or kerberos, opendirectory, or maybe even radius thrown in the mix. Totally unacceptable.

Most UNIX innovation was done on Solaris, and their best tools aren't even available on Linux --(dtrace and zfs)--and now that Linux has eaten solaris' lunch, expect no future unix innovation.

Every other use case is better served by a desktop OS.

Linux users-the cucks of computing.

White knighting for linux.
Jumping thru 1000 hoops in hopes to get 'the prize' build up artificial knowledgebase on how to win. Consistently cucked by the industry.

tl;dr, I'm writing papers in Archlinux with GNOME and LaTeX.

Underrated post.

he actually only wrote 2%

>>linux thread
>clearly says GNU/Linux
found the analphabet

take it back right now motherfucker

i was a navy seal

This

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.

underated

I fucking hate macfags with a passion.

Hello, I recently got mbp and now I'm not sure which Linux to install on it and how.
Are ancient guides relevant? Do I need any special boot software? Can I just boot macos, windows and linux with grub? Will that touchscreen that I got instead of f row work in Linux? Should I bootcamp instead?

Please don't hate me it was a free laptop and I'll need Mac OS to work with my hipster web dev team.

zsh is only for fags

>mfw freetards in this very thread are posting using google botnet captcha on a closed source proprietary imageboard

I updated my arch install for the first time in over a year recently. Nothing broke, at all. Not Nvidia, not X, not Apache, NOTHING in the 500+ things that were updated.

How about fish?

>Implying gentoo

Never use it.

I'm very angry with you user.

Hwy does everyone think that Linux comes bundles with samba? Does it come default in shitbuntu or something?

F U C K
U
C
K

I'D JUST LIKE TO INTERJECT FOR A MOMENT. WHAT YOU'RE REFERRING TO AS LINUX, IS IN FACT, GNU/LINUX, OR AS I'VE RECENTLY TAKEN TO CALLING IT, GNU PLUS LINUX. LINUX IS NOT AN OPERATING SYSTEM UNTO ITSELF, BUT RATHER ANOTHER FREE COMPONENT OF A FULLY FUNCTIONING GNU SYSTEM MADE USEFUL BY THE GNU CORELIBS, SHELL UTILITIES AND VITAL SYSTEM COMPONENTS COMPRISING A FULL OS AS DEFINED BY POSIX.

MANY COMPUTER USERS RUN A MODIFIED VERSION OF THE GNU SYSTEM EVERY DAY, WITHOUT REALIZING IT. THROUGH A PECULIAR TURN OF EVENTS, THE VERSION OF GNU WHICH IS WIDELY USED TODAY IS OFTEN CALLED "LINUX", AND MANY OF ITS USERS ARE NOT AWARE THAT IT IS BASICALLY THE GNU SYSTEM, DEVELOPED BY THE GNU PROJECT.

THERE REALLY IS A LINUX, AND THESE PEOPLE ARE USING IT, BUT IT IS JUST A PART OF THE SYSTEM THEY USE. LINUX IS THE KERNEL: THE PROGRAM IN THE SYSTEM THAT ALLOCATES THE MACHINE'S RESOURCES TO THE OTHER PROGRAMS THAT YOU RUN. THE KERNEL IS AN ESSENTIAL PART OF AN OPERATING SYSTEM, BUT USELESS BY ITSELF; IT CAN ONLY FUNCTION IN THE CONTEXT OF A COMPLETE OPERATING SYSTEM. LINUX IS NORMALLY USED IN COMBINATION WITH THE GNU OPERATING SYSTEM: THE WHOLE SYSTEM IS BASICALLY GNU WITH LINUX ADDED, OR GNU/LINUX. ALL THE SO-CALLED "LINUX" DISTRIBUTIONS ARE REALLY DISTRIBUTIONS OF GNU/LINUX.

>GNU/HURD NEVER EVER

they just released v0.9, let's just wait

UBUNTU IS AN AMAZON BOTNET

btw i use arch

I use Linux for embedded systems development.
It kicks the living shit out of any other OS.

Just read this one Stallman's site

>Uber requires passengers to identify themselves, both to order a ride and to pay.

This was on his "what's about X" series.

I mean, what fucking planet are you living on if you can't understand the simple fact that if you're running a service (hotels, cabs) you would like to know who your customers are in case anything happens?

Please somebody explain this shit to me my ears are open.

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT, I WANT A DISTRO THAT IS SOURCE BASED WITH THE MINIMAL AMOUNT OF TOOLS TO INSTALL THE HURD IN MY COMPUTER

YOU HEAR ME STALLMAN, HURRY THE FUCK UP

NOW
NOW

ALSO I WANT A SCRIPT BASED INIT SYSTEM LIKE SYSVINIT NOT THE RETARDATION OF SYSTEMD

I WANT A MINIMAL CODEBASE FOR THE KERNEL ITSELF NOT HAVING TO TRUST A MILLION LINES OF CODES THAT COULD GO WRONG

I WANT STANDALONE SECURITY MODULES NOT AN ALL IN ONE LIKE GRSECURITY

I WANT JUST THE LINES OF CODE I WANT, NOTHING ELSE

GIVE ME THAT
GIVE ME
GIVE ME

Have you looked into slitaz's init system? Pretty sure it's just one 200 line shell script. Also there's always Suckless's sinit

Arch is, actually.

Debian is the best. Fuck Arch.

you don't need the identity in case something happens

I'M USING ARCH LINUX, IF IT MATTERS

a.pomf.cat/ljcige.webm