Hello i need someone to replie to me what is this at my laptop ?

Hello i need someone to replie to me what is this at my laptop ?

That's a laptop

There are several notable parts visible in the photo. What are you referring to?

Hello i need someone to replie to me what is this at my car ?

Port for a docking station, it's a little pad-thing with a monitor and keyboard attached to it you can clip your laptop onto and use it as a desktop.

Also forgot to mention - some older thinkpad docking stations had a PCI-e port where you could put a regular desktop GPU. Why the fuck are they not making laptops with an option like that no more? WHY?!

But they are?

Actually eGPUs are getting more popular.

Yeah, but those aren't really docking stations, just a cumbersome thing you hack together that requires you to slip an expresscard with fat cables in and out every time.

By comparison, take a look at the Thinkpad advanced dock - it has a separate GPU compartment (albeit a small one by today's standards). You just clip the laptop on and it's good to go.

Because there is no big market for them. 90% of all laptop users are idiots and just use anything a salesman tells them to.

Because we don't need to. Any card that could fit in there could just as easily be made to be a mobile chip and inserted directly into the laptop itself.

while we're talking laptops, expresscard ssd or no? and can you boot from a setup like that or do you have to keep mbr/uefi on the hdd to point to the ssd?

It's an old concept really. Dell's C Dock II for their old Latitude CPi/CPx,C600/610 laptops had a pair of PCI slots in it. I had a CPx years ago and used it as a DAW like this with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card in one of the PCI slots and a Matrox dual-head G450 PCI card in the other slot for dual displays.

Wrong.

Couldnt it be possible now with usb 3.0 and 3.1 standard to connect an EGPU with 2 or 4 usb3 cables for higher speed? Or it would be slower than the expresscard slot?

using the usb 3.1 slots for powering the gpu too maybe

You need a PCI lane to add in an external GPU. Thunderbolt 3.0 has a PCI lane. A regular non-Thunderbolt USB-C port won't work.

I'm not sure how much power 3.1 pushes but any GPU that could be powered by it wouldn't be much more powerful than the iGPU the laptop already has.

I'd say it has more to do with the lack of standards when it comes to docking station ports. Which is a darn shame because an expresscard can't really match the performance of a real PCI-e x16 slot.

Kek

You mean the socket? It's for a dock.

>that setup