/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Functional Programming Thread:
Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

dtrace.org/blogs/wesolows/2014/12/29/golang-is-trash/
stackoverflow.com/questions/20162368/500-internal-server-error-images-not-loading
doc.rust-lang.org/std/sync/struct.Barrier.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_(object-oriented_design))
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This thread is pathetic. It is not about programming. It's just a bunch of computers illiterates and first semesters memeing about whatever they just learned.

A quick search shows that most arguments used here are not original and have been copied from some trendy tech blog or other shit site.

The only real programming questions I have seen so far are from beginners(it's fine to be a beginner btw).

This entire site is shit and I don't know why anyone would regularly come here.

Second for golang
dtrace.org/blogs/wesolows/2014/12/29/golang-is-trash/

Okay

>This entire site is shit and I don't know why anyone would regularly come here.
It's a hobby site for weeaboos to appreciate anime

>A quick search shows that most arguments used here are not original and have been copied from some trendy tech blog or other shit site.

>dtrace.org/blogs/wesolows/2014/12/29/golang-is-trash/

Case in point. See above.

Haskell fucking sucks.

which functional language should i learn lads?

Most arguments aren't original user. That's simply fact.
I ran into that article when dealing with how weird golang ASM is.
Makes me consider once again if it's worth sticking to it.

>This entire site is shit and I don't know why anyone would regularly come here.

Mostly to talk about the status of personal projects and get ideas.

It's also fun to shitpost.

>Most arguments aren't original user. That's simply fact.
It is not. Is really easy to come up with original arguments if you know something about the subject. In this case, programming languages and their applications.

The link you posted is the fist google result for "golang trash". Is a short article with poor argumentation(I had already seen it and I'm a golang programmer). One might think you just searched for "golang trash" and posted the first link for the solely for the purpose of trolling.

What is golang?

>This entire site is shit and I don't know why anyone would regularly come here
That's nice, feel free to leave whenever then

A shit language that manages to be good at nothing and bad at everything

I feel like I've been a beginner for the last 3 years

You're always a beginner at something.

>regularly
reading comprehension

I'm not a golang programmer*

Yeah I guess so, and with programming you genuinely never stop learning. But I still feel so out of my element

If you feel so out of your element maybe programming is not for you.

Oh boy, a technicality
You clearly don't like it in this thread, so kindly fuck off, you're only making it worse with your bitching

I'm too deep now, it's like the only marketable skill I have. When I have a well defined goal I'm pretty good at it, but my main problem is that this doesn't feel like a hobby for me.

Maybe you just lost some drive. Do you have some pet project on the side or anything that passion you?

I'm waiting a build finish and have nothing else to do. There are no new messages on my usual mailing lists and I already masturbated.

Masturbate again faggot.

It hurts.

do you feel your legs tired after fap?

Posting this question again from the last thread. Shitty IIS.

Yes. I also like to stretch them when I'm close to finishing.

Nothing specific, I was going to install the android sdk and try to get into some make some applets but I keep putting it off. Atm I don't have an isp so I'd have to go out and download it from like the library or some other wifi hotspot something.

It's stressful since I know that it's not hard to get a job as a dev and all I have to do is just cobble some portfolio together but at the same time I can't ever think of what to make and that all that's holding me back is me.

I dropped out due to bad grades (I'm not stupid, honestly I got an A on my programming final and did well in the CS classes) so I'm just in this awkward transitory period. And I'm just trying to sort my life out but there's a lot i need to get in order. Programming to me is just something I know I have to pursue since it pays fairly well (more than what I'm used to) and it's not that difficult. So I've completely removed myself from the hobby aspect of it.

Where can I unsubscribe from your blog?

you guys are cooler tho

>Yes
why do they?

is there a scientific explanation?

That's how cavemen nutted

Racket

stackoverflow.com/questions/20162368/500-internal-server-error-images-not-loading

You fucking suck (At Haskell).

>It's stressful since I know that it's not hard to get a job as a dev and all I have to do is just cobble some portfolio together but at the same time I can't ever think of what to make and that all that's holding me back is me.

What other subjects do find interesting? Try to port some other application to android.
I like among other things, network and security.
As a side project in racket I'm developing a malaware development language and framework.(with precautions to keep the script kidies out)

Netcat is not that complicated, if you like networking you can port it to android with a nice graphical interface. Most stupid managers would be impressed.

that's because we keep guys like you out

>λ=

Idk but most male animals get something like thiss after coitus.

Why are you replying to him?

>when you're tool cool for the default window controls so you abuse undocumented features and reflection to remove them so you can implement your own that break sometimes

To find something to make I recommend to make something that you personally or people close to you needs. Programming is indeed work, it's not hobby all the time. Some time you need to do boring ass shit. You also seem to have been through tough time so I wish you luck my friend, and try to find some fun in programming to cheer you up.

Just stop giving me (You)s.

Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.

i dont have an htaccess file though.

>most male animals
>thiss
we're onto you

Hey man thanks a lot I appreciate it.

I have a few project ideas for when I got everything in order but that's a while down the line, once I tinker around with the sdk and get a feel for it

They can't help it.

It's fun

>undocumented features
>reflection

Shouldn't you just use SetWindowLong(...) and EnableMenuItem(...)?

>I have a few project ideas for when I got everything in order but that's a while down the line, once I tinker around with the sdk and get a feel for it

In my experience:
It's best not to wait for the perfect conditions. Do it now. (pic)

The best way to get around with a new technology, sdk, language, framework, etc, is not with the tutorials. Is actually implementing something you are about. You learn what you need on the way.

^^^ This man speak the truth.
I also learned the best by just tinkering with a new technology and learning what I needed, to achieve my goals on my project.

>^^^ This man speak the truth.
Did you just assume my gender?

there are no girls on the internet.

Burger king, give me a SITREP on the King Nigger birth certificate.

This to be honest family.

The only reason I come here is to get the motivation I need to continue studying by seeing pictures of slutty anime lolis reading programming books.

Are you implying gender is binary?

>it's the first google result
So? Of course that's what I'l find when I'm facing concerns of that specific nature (golang's attempt at ASM).

My point was more that the arguments (as you would see if you've read it) are similar. The problems are the same. Practically nobody in programming phrase their problems in specific circumstance like you might with social issues or whatever. You have a issues in general.

That's why they bother you I think. They don't have drastically different steps in the inference because we're dealing with such solid subjects and we're on the whole not retarded.

It's not bad that peopel come with the same complaints. It's very good that when people complain about OOP they end up complaining about the same things largely. If we didn't have that we would either have far too many issues with OOP, so many that people have trouble categorizing their importance, or we would have problems that are of a subjective nature.

What we should ask ourselves is why people don't solve the issues more.
Why is the primary performance oriented language (C++) also object oriented and has a culture that promotes it? Why don't we have better abstractions for the space that C++ covers? (arguably C++14 and up is working on that but before then it was pretty barren)

Solving issues shouldn't be this hard.

>I'm waiting a build finish
How long does it take?
And why are you making it take that long? Do you prefer to masturbate?

there are no girls on the internet.

Am I the only one who hate IPFS?

I mean I would love to see distributed web getting more popular but this is just a hyped bittorrent ripoff written in Go.

Nothing Found

Real talk now, why does Sup Forums have such a hard-on for Haskell?

I get that the language is much more elegant than, say, Java, but what's the point in learning it if no one actually uses it to code anything (expect for meme projects like xmonad)? What's the point in investing your limited free time time to learn a new language when you can't do anything useful with it?

im on windows. Tried that too didnt work

A couple of autists shill it hard. I personally kinda hate it because the environment it runs on blows liquid ass through a straw. I'm much more interested in the push for functional concepts in lower level languages like C++.

>limited free time
Everyone here is a NEET or soon to be NEET.

Yup. Just going over the same arguments again and again.
The more serious projects don't even get replies or they're completely irrelevant.
Sounds like a good moment to leave completely.

>domain ending in .io
>written in Go
It's hipsterware.
I'd love to see distributed web become a reality just like you, but IPFS is not the solution in my opinion. It tries to be a better bittorrent, but fails in doing so. All the problems IPFS faces have already been solved in the bittorrent protocol. They were better off writing a convenience layer on top of bittorrent.

>soon to be NEET
I don't think I'm getting fired any time soon, and it would be pretty easy to get another job if that happened.

>why does Sup Forums have such a hard-on for Haskell?
It's a very vocal minority, and even some of those anons "love it", and yet they don't use it for a single non-trivial application.

Haskell is a perfect programming language on paper. It's worthless for real problems.

Truly the communism of the programming language world.

>A *real* functional language hasn't been tried yet!

>have a functional programming thread
>still forcing Haskell in /dpt/ in OP
I mean, what the fuck?

>(golang's attempt at ASM
It is not

>Practically nobody in programming phrase their problems in specific circumstance like you might with social issues or whatever

Yeah, they are just shitting out of their mouths. Not phrasing well thought problems in relation to a well defined scenario.

>Practically nobody in programming phrase their problems in specific circumstance like you might with social issues or whatever
They have almost any steps in the inference. They just throw they biased opinion in a blog post.

>and we're on the whole not retarded.
Yes, "we" are.

>with such solid subjects and we're on the whole not retarded.
The problem is not agreeing with other person.
The problem is that the complains are usually not well pondered memes.

>What we should ask ourselves is why people don't solve the issues more.
They do btw. But people that solve issues are mostly in academia, trying to solve issues, not sell shit. And people that I complained about are complete imbeciles working in industry buying shit products("the next big thing") from some shit company that have more lawyers than engineers.

>How long does it take?
Idk. It's actually building and running tests. The testing part is the one that takes most of the time.

>And why are you making it take that long?
I'm not. I'm actually using pretty good hardware(companies cluster). It's just that there a lot of things to test.

>Do you prefer to masturbate?
Yes.

Is there any way to detect route changes with React Router?

Yes.

WS2812B room lighting synced to music using FFT
for audio

They're zealots. They can't help it.

for x in 1..args.len() {
let im = args[x].clone();
thread::spawn(move || {
let i = image::open(&Path::new(&im)).unwrap();
// HashTypes: Gradient, DCT, DoubleGradient, Mean
let h = ImageHash::hash(&i, 16, HashType::Gradient);
let b = h.bitv;
println!("Path: {}, Hash: {}", &im, to_hex_string(b.to_bytes()));
});

I have some rust that looks like this. Sometimes I think what happens is multiple threads try to write to stdout at the same time, and I get this:
thread '' panicked at 'cannot access stdout during shutdown', ../src/libcore/option.rs:705

What do I need to do to just gather up all the output then print it at once after the loop is over? In Go I would just use a channel but it doesn't seem as straightforward looking at some Rust docs.

Faked from Johanna Ah'Nee's birth certificate.

i am a newbie and Sup Forums helped me a lot, more than curryoverflow

Read the documentation and use the users mailing list of the 'thing' you are learning. Is much more productive.

A language good for writing servers, server-related tools and nothing else.

i arrived at the stage where i can do medium-size projects (1000 lines) and only look for information when i encounter a problem.

i also want to know software engineering design besides just learning the language. for that i will probably have to read books.

Maybe this'll help: doc.rust-lang.org/std/sync/struct.Barrier.html

I just learned the Single responsibility principle, but find it kinda retarded.

You can interpret it in the way that every class should only have one method.

> In Go I would just use a channel but it doesn't seem as straightforward looking at some Rust docs.

Rust has channels too. And they are not hard to use:

let (tx, rx) = std::sync::mpsc::channel();
// and then in each thread thread
let thread_local = tx.clone();
// do work
tx.send(value);

But your real problem is the main thread exits and it kills all the child threads before they are finished.

That works great, thanks.

errr, that should be thread_local.send(value). I'd personally just call it tx, too, though.

Rust is shit, Go is shit, Java & C# are shit. Is the only sane language for webdev really C++?

>You can interpret it in the way that every class should only have one method.
You don't understand nigga. You want to keep your code as modular as possible. The SOLID (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_(object-oriented_design)) helps you with that. This way you can easily modify the behavior of the code without refactoring the entire codebase.

>C++
>sane

All languages are shit. Find one you like and use it.

Just make sure to call it shit when anyone asks you about it so that way you're covering for any sort of potential intellectual weakness you'd otherwise show by actually liking a given technology.

behavior of the program*

Merry Christmas, /dpt/!

faggot

Question about Java
When I have some class Foo that extends Bar and I fill an ArrayList with Bar's and then from that ArrayList of Bar's I create another ArrayList with Foo's, how would I do that? just cast the Bar's to Foo's or is there a better way? It works for my purposes apparently but I don't like casts

What are programming languages written in

What's the answer to that question written in

BNF

English