Some faggots are telling me that a XFX 650W PSU is not enough for a Sapphire AMD R9 390x Tri-X. What's your opinion?

Some faggots are telling me that a XFX 650W PSU is not enough for a Sapphire AMD R9 390x Tri-X. What's your opinion?

Rest of the gear:
MSI Z170-A Pro
I5-6600k
8gb ddr4

It'll most likely be fine
I alsorun 6600k with 480X and there isn't a single issue on 620W PSU

Depends on how much amps the rails can provide. Check the PSU specs sheet. I'd say anything greater than 30 would be good, ideally I'd go for maybe 40+ amp, just to be safe. Those 390Xs are power hungry and even more so when OC'd

Bullshit. A good 500W PSU is enough for literally any single GPU card.

It's fine. I'm running essentially that setup now.

Not Oc. Gonna check the specs now

Well thats what I thought. But i was getting an "amd driver stopped responding and successfully recovered" error with screen shutdowns every now and then (doesn't happen often) and this faggot of a "" technician "" said that the psu is not enough and that's causing the error.

I mean, the PSU could be outright faulty. Random shutdowns are often a sign of that.

its a 375w card
with everything else in your system it should be close but it would be fine
youre almost never maxing out power draw to all components at once

though i'd still suggest a 750W psu

this card can take up 3/4 of that on its own

the sweetspot for efficiency of a PSU is when you're drawing only 50% of the advertised wattage. you will definitely go over that at 100% load with a 390x, but it will still work. undervolt it if you're worried about the lifespan of your PSU.

Any idea why the fuck Im getting that error? Could the psu be damaged?

So whats the amp on those rails?

>its a 375w card

No it isn't, you fucking retard. I literally posted a chart showing total system power consumption lower than that and here you are spouting your retarded fucking garbage anyway. Fuck off.

>muh efficiency

Who fucking cares? Wow, my PSU is running at 88% efficiency instead of 86%! I'll save a whole dollar on my bill over the course of five years!

You need to know how many watts your current PC setup is drawing, then add that to the card's power consumption. After that, add a 20% overhead to that figure (rule of thumb so that you're not maxing out your PSU and asking for a fire to happen). The result will give you the minimum PSU required for using that card.

Maybe they are just looking out for your safety. Why did you get a 390x when you could've gotten a 1060 or 1070? They run cooler, use less power, have better drivers, and won't burn your house down.

Sorry for my autism

Reinstall reformat system.

Btw, example - my current i7 4770 / 16GB DDR3 setup draws 80 watts at idle, and about 150 during gaming or rendering with the Intel graphics. so:

150+360 = 510
510*0.2 = 102
510+102 = 612W

Under those conditions a 650W PSU is excellent.

this

try raising power limit in afterburner, some AMD cards (especially the overclocked rebrand cards like the 390 and 390x) have problems with instability at the default voltage and power limits.

>muh efficiency
Not same guy but a higher efficiency psu is almost always more reliable because quality components and better design. I care about that part.

500W is kinda minimum, 2bh

650W is enough but it also depends on how the power is distributed across the PSU's rails. If it's modern it can probably supply most of its rated output on 12V alone, which is good. If it's also a design with a single 12V rail then it's pretty much guaranteed that it can deliver enough power for a 390X. If it's not you need to check what current the rail connected to your 390X can deliver to see if it's enough.

That's retarded advice even by Sup Forums standards. PSU efficiency peaks at about 50%, but it's almost flat from there to 100%.
If you buy a 800W PSU for a system that at peak load only uses 400W you barely ever get it to run efficiently and spend most of your time at below 80% efficiency

Shit ok I have to know how much power is munching

Yeah I was thinking in doing that.. Like a "maybe solution"

I don't know is one of those things that it probably has one of those retarded solutions.

The funny thing is.. That that error doesn't happen when I'm gaming (Witcher 3 for example) it happens when I'm just browsing Internet or some crap like that.

They're 2 scenarios :
1: The screen goes black for a couple seconds and then it recovers and i get that amd driver stopped blabla message.
2: The screen goes black and it doesn't recover and i have to unplug and plug again the hdmi cable. NORMALLY that does it and the screen recovers. Sometimes I have to shutdown the pc and turn it on again.

Ayymdiots rayydeon Poo 390ÂșC

>53A apparently single 12V rail
Yeah, PSU should be totally fine.

Well fuck me then. Maybe the gpu or the psu is damaged

Reformat/reinstall

Stop being retarded.

That the retarded solution to everything actually.

im running the non X which has the exact same chip on a tiny sfx 500W

>I'd rather spend $40-50 and waste my money
>I'd rather waste couple of hours looking for help

It's not a bad idea though. Make an image of your current install and try fresh Windows too. If it doesn't help just slap your old image back so you don't have to reinstall and reconfigure everything.

If you HONESTLY believe that a fresh install could be of any help in this situation, i will do it.

If you have better option for the next hour, go for it, otherwise, if you dont think you'll get any better, do fresh install.

Ok. Will do