So, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I have searched google for days...

So, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I have searched google for days, tried everything I could find but have come up empty as far as answers.

I got a Raspberry Pi 3 starter kit for my kid for christmas, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the sound work via the HDMI connection (also no sount from the headphone jack either really). I have tried several terminal commands, but not luck.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this thing up and running. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

are you installing osmc?

Should i be? I'm honestly a bit of a noob with linux

Just looked into it, it looks like that's a media player, I've been testing audio using youtube videos Sould I be installing that instead?

You haven't given any information at all.

You say there isn't any sound, but what are you trying to play? and what are you trying to play sound on?

What operating system and version?

go ta raspi-config and force sound with hdmi

Raspbian to OS that came with the board, I've been testing it with youtube videos and I've tried both the HDMI cord through my TV and headphones in the headphone jack and haven't gotten sound from either

I've tried that, it doesn't do anything

put

dtparam=audio=on

in config.txt which lives in boot

Ok, where is that (sorry, like I said, reletive noob)

i don't believe you can't read.

I could be wrong about this but I'm pretty sure that the pi sends both video/audio through EITHER the HDMI port or the headphone port (yes, video and audio both go out the headphone port) but not through both.

heh, found it, just missed that last bit of your message

In the config.txt file inside the boot folder.

also put

arm_freq=1100

in config.txt
this will make the pi go close to full speed. They put it at 700 for default. It's the CPU speed.

I can't seem to edit it, it says "can't open the file to write" tried to edit in a new text file said I didn't have permission. I don't remember settin up an admin or entering a password whem I set this thing up. Am I missing something?

It shouldn't be a problem if you take the sd card out while the machine is off, and put it in your PC.
However, if you want to do it while the machine is running, just put

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

into the terminal and it will come up.
When you are finished adding your lines, just press CTRL and X and then Y and then enter

Reboot to make the changes take.

So, just to ensure I don't permanently mess anything up, I add "#dtparam=audio=on" to the end of this block, right?

#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

And then I change: #uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

to

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=1100

Right?

Ok, I've followed what you said 5 ties now, and the changes don't seem to take

> I got a Raspberry Pi 3 starter kit for my kid for christmas
You're a good guy.

Not sure if thats sarcasm or not, but I had originally wanted to get it for her to play a certain game I was led to believe I could run on it if done right. That ended up not working, so I'm turning it into an old school SNES/NES console instead

A # at the beginning of a line means it's a comment. You need to un-comment some of those lines bruh

That '#' in front of a line comments the line out. You would do this:
arm_freq=1100
Make sure anything you want to have be active is uncommented, that is, no '#' in front of it.

>knows nothing about linux
>doesn't know comment characters
>implying he's gonna figure out the keyboard commands for nano

Good luck, OP. This was a poor purchase for you.

cause nobody should learn something new ever, huh

tried this, nothing changed after the reboot

What learning? OP's getting spoonfed exact keyboard instructions and can't even get it right. He's not even questioning why some user is telling him to overclock this box that he can't even operate. This guy is a mouthbreather.

Stop replying to tripshits, you retards.

Post config.txt somewhere and link it here.

Yes, I really mean getting your kid a RasPi is a cool idea.
However, as it seems, you're not familiar with it at all. Also
>her to play a certain game
Wtf. I hoped it was a boy and you're both going to tinker with it. Well, good luck, this thing is not suited for doing a "certain game", better gift would have been some smartphone.

Also. Just for me - is it made in China or in UK? They produce them in both countries, but obviously more coming from China, and the Chinese have poorer quality.

I got the headphone jack working, still no luck with the HDMI sound

i got one of these each for my nephews, not sure what to get them started doing with them yet. Hopefully they like them and can find a good use or have fun with them... both around 7-10 now.

Don't have the original box, but if I remember right it was China. The plan it to eventually move it from the clear case that came with it to an actual SNES cartridge

Did you work through the documentation at
raspberrypi.org/ ? The help / configuration / audio document has things to try from the command line to exercise HDMI sound.

they sell old school controllers at wal mart with usb ends. So you put some emulators on it, slightly modify some old SNES cartridge , and you have a portable system you can carry in your pocket

run pavucontrol if you have it

otherwise alsamixer

My results from typing amixer cset numid=3 2 (as suggested from the pi website)

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ amixer cset numid=3 2
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Route'
; type=INTEGER,access=rw------,values=1,min=0,max=2,step=0
: values=2

Still no sound through HDMI though

Also, just saw a request for my config.txt, so I will add it here

#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

# NOOBS Auto-generated Settings:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
dtparam=spi=on
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d

do you have pulseaudio / pavucontrol

Does the monitor have speakers?
Does the monitor have it's own volume controls?

Not as far as I kknow

try typing in "pavucon" and pressing tab once or thrice. what happens?

Yep, I've got it hooked up to the tv I use every day, just tok the HDMI cord out of my PS4 and plugged it into my Pi

Feel free to post screen shots along with your comments OP. Click the Browse button when submitting a post.

So try the next thing on the page.

DAE install gentoo?>

This would appear to be a Raspberry Pi thread, so I guess I'll ask here.

So on a RasPi Zero can I install Debian ARM? So do I use armhf or armel? Will it be powerful enough for web browsing with Firefox (assuming I use ad and script blockers)? Other than the obvious stuff like a lack of ports, what are some big disadvantages over a full sized RasPi 3?

Try a different hdmi cable if you have one

Thanks for all your help everyone, I've got to go do some things and will be back in a couple of hours, if this is still up, I will try and post results of what shows up

you need to erase the hash marks. They are comment marks, they tell the computer it's just a comment.
Only erase the hashmarks off the ones you want to actually change.

you need retropie, but you'll need to get very comfortable with changing things for it to work.
For one thing, you'll have to put the romsets into the folders on the system itself for it to read them.
It's more of a pain in the ass than just uncommenting and modifying some config.txt settings.
I believe in you though.

oh word, guess I should have finished thread before commenting again

good luck op

Tell your wife's son to go into ALSAmixer and turn the volume up

A girl couldn't tinker with it?

>So on a RasPi Zero can I install Debian ARM?
Yes
>So do I use armhf or armel?
armhf will not work. armel will work, but will only use ARMv4 instructions and soft floating point. You should use raspbian, which is compiled specifically for the ARM6 SOCs with hard FP on RasPis.
>Will it be powerful enough for web browsing with Firefox
Fuck off

They can, but the tend to not want to.

The Pi Zero is shit. Other than as a USB gadget it's barely worth it since you need to get a USB hub, OTG adapter, HDMI adapter, and a network adapter to really do anything worthwhile with it. It then ends up becoming the most expensive Raspi model of the lot.

This tbqh
I tried to make a small project (just a sort of emulator for when I hang out with my friends) with a RPi0 and I ended up having to buy a bunch of adapters just to get it to work. A MacBook Pro 2016 uses less dongles than an RPi0. Ended up using an RPi3 for my next project, didn't regret a thing.

Op, op, op. Let me fix this whole thing for you. I want to point out that its a LOT easier to edit config files on a PC running Linux. Lets say the computer
is running Ubuntu, you just plug in your SD card via USB, and Linux will recognize it instantly, both partitions. If you have a spare thumb drive, put Ubuntu
on it just for Live purposes and boot it up. Its entirely optional but it might make it easier for you in the long run. Now on to the sound issue.

This happens a lot with people using Retropie, which I assume you're probably trying to do. Its a common problem with some HD TVs. This is from the Retropie Web page.

"First and foremost try forcing hdmi by adding the following to /boot/config.txt then restarting the Raspberry Pi: hdmi_drive=2 "

99% of the time that will fix the issue. Its the first thing to try and the easiest. It MAY already have the line in the config.txt already. You might just have to unmark it. Otherwise
just add it to the bottom. I hope this helps.

I got sound working via headphone jack with mine using the libasound2, libasound2-dev python libraries. OS was raspbian lite

lol wtf is this shit

When I installed FreeBSD on by raspi the sound just werked

it's even more hassle setting up Arch.

How's freebsd working? Do you use a gui at all?