Sup Forums says you don't need math for computer science

>Sup Forums says you don't need math for computer science
>take introduction to AI
>mfw

>it's an OP starts off a greentext with a false statement episode

(you)(you)(you)(you)(you)

In Glorious USA CS involves learning how to use Visual Studio and HTML, so you don't need any math

>mfw was in 8th grade a long time ago in a private school
>learning to make a simple webpage with
>print it out
>Congratulationsyouhaveautism.tar.xz
>whenever i visit my brother's high school all the actual autistic kids are in the web dev class
>this scared me so much to the point that i major in CS and do heavy duty math daily
>Only program in C and ASM

import committeemachine

Done.

That picture makes me weep for humanity.

People who say 'I'm not good at math' and wear it like a badge of honor should be culled.

thats just basic bayesian statistics faggot

Sup Forums is mainly composed of Sup Forums kiddies and weeb posers. Only /sci/ knows shit about that kind of stuff, but they despise computer science because of retards like you who just want to be code monkeys.

in other words, college level math

Anyone who says this is retarded. You don't need math for PROGRAMMING (other than for specific fields). But any proper CS degree will have at the very least a discrete mathematics class.

This is literally high school level statistics you idiot.

Wait, what does being good at html mean you have autism?

> discreet Math

What is this, kindergarten?

How the fuck can one not be good at html lmao it's just fucking tagging shit

Devils in the deets user, even I know this

What the fuck is that shit even.

Speaking of a thread about math/CS degrees, what do you guys thinks makes someone more in demand.

>Comp Sci Major with a Minor in Applied Math
>Comp Sci Major with a Minor in Stats
>Comp Sci Major with a second Major in Math

I'm leaning towards double majoring, and avoiding the 'applied' classes, since I typically find the applied shit a little more boring. But I still love math, and would probably find a way to enjoy it either way. Alternatively, the option of getting a minor in statistics is always open.

Guess I know who isn't a threat to my job security

>effect me daily
>effect me
>effect

Double major is more valuable but way more work
CS Major with a PURE MATH minor is what you want. The diference between that and applied math shouldnt be much.

Honestly, if the double major really looks better then I think I'll just keep going down this path. I basically have zero interest in courses outside of math/comp sci, so it's really not a lot of extra work, since most people's idea of an 'ice cream class' is shit like history or psych, which is honestly way more boring to me.

What the fuck? I am 3 and a half months into my first CE year and so far we had pretty rigorous probability theory courses and algorithm proving lessons. Oh and they teach us real languages (Bash, C, LaTeX, Lisp and x86 assembly are all taugh first year and we're only allowed to use CLI text editors and GNU Make).

>3 and a half months in
>rigorous
>prove algorithms

You don't know shit. Your courses aren't hard. You won't know shot when you graduate either. Just try to pick a thing or two up on the way, and lose your ego.

What's with Sup Forums and these pissing contests of who has the most difficult math courses?

Where is your github with your work?
Have you contributed anything of value yet?
No?
Then why brag over pointless shit

>Your courses aren't hard.
Didn't say they were, but they're not HTML codemonkeying either.

This kid's story is nothing
Back in highschool geometry I solved a problem by using a simple proof. Turns out it was wrong because we hadn't yet "proven" that a triangle has 3 sides.

There's no dick measuring contest here, saying you took a "rigorous probability course" in your first sem is pretty ridiculous. I was simply saying be more humble, and have don't have an inflated concept of self-worth.

Computer Science is essentially applied math, and programming/software is a tool derived from foundations of computer science.

Think of it like this, you don't need to be an aerospace engineer to fly a plane, but you should damn well know how a plane flies.

That's just a mathematical representation of code. You don't need to know the math to code it, only to reprrsent it like that and read that.

If they're teaching you c, lisp, x86 all in one year it might be.

Who the fuck doesn't have to study this? I study biology and had to know this shit.
It's easy, faggot.

>You don't need to know the math to code it
how do you interpret and code it if you dont know the math behind it?

what does that Q symbol mean?
what does taht B symbol mean?
whats the Sjt?
what's i'?

>intro to AI
that's machine learning

Psssh who the fuck can't do basic math like this.
Hell we were doing this shit on the side, and that's considering I major in women studies.

/thread
CS != Programming

CS could very well be renamed to Mathematics of Computation.

>will have at the very least a discrete mathematics class

Which is a fucking joke.

if you're doing basic business backend database shit, you don't need much math.

but if you want to do anything even remotely interesting, you need TONS of math. You need calc 1, 2, 3 + linear algebra + abstract algerba + discrete math/number theory + differential equations + ODE.

that above is a minimum if you plan on programming anything even remotely cool or interesting. stuff like deep learning, computer graphics, robotics etc.

>no math
>computer science

WEW

>real languages
>GayTeX

nigger what?

I wear the fact that I don't enjoy reading books like that. I simply believe most people don't and it takes a truly honest person to admit this. Other examples are beer tastes like shit, classical music sounds bad, and Sup Forums is simply a subreddit.

It takes balls to be wrong about so many different things user, thanks for showing us why the life expectancy in America is on the decline.

But I'm right...

This is the hardest example you could find?
It's really straightforward, maybe you should start going to lectures and tutes

>life expectancy in America is on the decline
Good. I want off this world.

Arbitrary variable names

Just finally do brainlet thread general so I can autohide it by filtering "wow math is so hard lalala" or something, you idiots.

>classical music sounds bad now let me get back to my dubstep
>beer tastes like shit time to drink alcohol sugar solution with artificial fruit flavors
>I don't like reading books because my attention span was permanently damaged by television as a child

You are the cancer user. It's time to sack up and buy a firearm, remember to aim at your cerebellum so that you don't accidentally vegetable yourself.

AHAHAHHAHA
at least we know which side of the bell curve you're on
holy shit you're delusional

this is good bait, you already angered a bunch of nerds, but the Sup Forums/reddit line made it too obvious

7/10

Q, B, Sjt are all just representatives of concepts

Bt+1 = Bt + Sjt
is just saying that the next value in sequence B is the result of the preceeding value in sequence B added to the value of Sjt
t is just a sequence, so if they are arrays it is the keys in the array, etc

Nobody here have said that you don't need math for computer science. Computer science is a math degree with a couple of programming courses

>cs majors really believe this

I'm not sure where what your hung up on but that summation exponential stuff is just soft-maxing to get the answer between 0 and 1, read the wikipedia page or something it's not as bad as it looks.

wait until you learn angular + coffeescript

>Aw yeah riding a bike is fun
>Yeah but wait until you drive NASCAR

Salty ass nigga

LaTeX is Turing complete

CS majors learn enough math to dip their feet, but no they aren't pretty much math majors. It's like saying engineers are pretty much math majors. There is always a different focus, and CS learns what is relevant to their field.

> Algebra makes no sense at all

(you (you (you (you (you)))))
FTFY.

In good schools is true. The reason there are so many math+cs double majors out there, is because after the CS requirements, it already more than covers a minor, and is only a handful of courses away from a math major.

If a university's CS degree don't read an awful lot like their math degree, find a different school.

Why can't this be a thing?

i hate engineering students

thats what you get for falling Sup Forums's memes...

math is important you fucks. all the shit you do on computer is based on math literally.

Wow, I wish the textbooks we used in my math/physics classes explained things so well.

>pic related is how we'd have something like that explained

t. physics graduate

>we're only allowed to use CLI text editors
Do the professors break into your house and check that you weren't using an IDE?

CS is applied mathematics no doubt. If you don't like math don't do CS.

>wymyn stydiesy yy yyyy yyy y y yyyyy yyy y y y yy y y
shiggy-diggy

CS is the purest form of mathematics actually

That's all we have on the school's computers (and gEdit but they said it was for retards). That being said, they can break into my house, I use Vim and am very happy with it. :^)

Try russian textbooks, they would bring you even more of explanations.

that book is great

It helped me a lot

discrete mathematics is not mathematics

CS has huge overlaps, but mathmatics is incredibly broad, with lots of odd little corners that never see light beyond little yellow books of death.

Obligatory

I have finals in like 20 days and haven't touched discrete math
can I make it, Sup Forums?

Okay retard

20 days is a lot for discrete. Start to make trees now and you will got a high score

Don't forget you still have 4 other subjects to study for.

It closer to philosophy than math. Don't believe what you discrete math professor says, he just want to keep his job.

It takes work to get through this but it is hardly really difficult stuff. College level math should get you through this easily (even secondary school, if real statistics was on the curriculum). Just realise that you do not need to think up stuff like this (yet), you just need to understand and apply.

excuse me?

How is discreet maths any more philosophical than continuous? Do you have a single idea what you're talking about?

>That picture makes me weep for humanity.
Why would you give a fuck about someone other than yourself and your immediate relatives? Why give a shit about humanity? Stop being such a self-righteous cunt.

it's a reddit thing...

An equation is a function for numbers, just read up on operations in those functions.

If you cant study independently you need to pick a new career

>Why would you give a fuck about someone other than yourself and your immediate relatives

Literally nigger thought process

Except it isn't, caring about humanity as a whole is probably the stupidest thing in the world mainly because you being a self-righteous fuckface isn't going to change humanity.

Care to explain what I could do if I hate math?

If you can't understand intro course level math you might as well kill yourself desu.

i was thinking of doing this already

>Caring for others is self righteous
Are you genuinely autistic?

No, caring for others is just plain dumb, telling people on the Interbutts that you care about people is being a self-righteous cunt.

Have you read combinatorial enumeration or finite field theory?

>Caring for others is plain dumb
Caring for others puts you above nigger-tier and you act as a functional member of society.

>telling people on the Interbutts that you care about people is being a self-righteous cunt
Agreed.

I am glad there are people that understand what is going on in that fucking picture.

What the fuck universities are people going to where their CS program doesn't require copious amounts of math?

I'm at UCF and they require calcs I/II, dif EQ or calc III, and linear algebra alongside discrete I/II and whatever I'm probably forgetting.

I fucking hated this shit back on highschool, I never ever touched any of this since then, a literal waste of time.

>exponents are HARD, man