What caveman is using this shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>you don't have permission to access this file
>you don't have permission to access this folder
>you lack the permissions to change this file/folder
all while on the admin account.

Whats the point of moving files while they are open? It bound to fuck something up somwhere. Sonds pretty logical to me to lock those files.

>try Linux
>can rename file while it is open
>everything breaks down because of it

>try linux
>have to use command line for everything because everything with a gui crashes every 5 minutes

The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

>It bound to fuck something up somwhere
um no?
I do it daily on macOS and never have an issue. The only time I've ever had issues with moving files was with Windows when I would spend hours trying to find out how to delete an undeletable file or some other stupid bullshit.

Oh boy I love Trusted Installer. It really gives me that satisfyingly feeling of not owning my computer.

such fucking aids.
windows 10 is so much worse. can't even make backups of purchased content because the folders are locked out for the actual owner.
take the drive out and connect it with another pc? no problemo when trying to backup the files..
such a fucking joke. fuck microshit.

>try Windows
>can't have a file whose path is over 255 characters
>can't even rename or delete such a file if by some fucking esoteric way you manage to get one
>terminal is ass-backwards as fuck, doesn't even support UTF-8 lmao
>gray screen bug not fixed since 2011
>code base is known to be such a clusterfuck that it might never be fixed without rewriting the whole turd
>doesn't even come with an SSH client LMFAO YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

What the fuck

>doesn't even support UTF-8 lmao
No wonder I could never get my ñ's to work under CMD. I thought I was being a shitty programmer.

It does support accents (é, à, ç etc) but instead of ANSI it's encoded in OEM (an obscure encoding only M$ has been retarded enough to use over the last 20 years). Try programming from the terminal (with a sequence of echo line >>file) and you will get functional accents.

By the way, they want to stick with their bullshit so much that the .NET framework actually translates ANSI to OEM when you use it to write in the console. They prefer to make a bloated API than to fix their terminal. Absolutely insane.

A file system is basically just a tree of pointers to data blocks on the hard disk, there's no reason why modifying the file system should conflict with files being open (because there's no need to actually move the data blocks, you just move the pointer).

try accessing any files you downloaded off the windows store in win10
worthless piece of shit wont even let you view them.
>need to download all of these 60gb per game folders all over again if something fucks up
>can't just quickly copy it over via external storage/seperate drive if the first one kicks the bucket

>>can't have a file whose path is over 255 characters
its an 8 bit integer value what titles are you even giving your files to exceed 255 characters?

>>can't even rename or delete such a file if by some fucking esoteric way you manage to get one
what?

>terminal is ass backwards
its not terminal?

>gray screen bug
what
>doesn't come with an SSD client
but you can just get one, its like bitching that your OS doesn't come with some compiler or some shit just go download your favorite one

>I never used Linux

>its an 8 bit integer value what titles are you even giving your files to exceed 255 characters?
It says path not filename. If your file is too deep in folder structure you're fucked, not if you're calling your file "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I LIKE COCK IN MY MOUTH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 250234923049203492049302"

>It says path not filename. If your file is too deep in folder structure you're fucked, not if you're calling your file "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I LIKE COCK IN MY MOUTH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 250234923049203492049302"
I have tons of file paths with mods in so many of my games where it should easily exceed that

And what if file is deleted while open and block that were used for that file are assigned to another one and the application that had the old file open tries to write into old file?

I doubt it. It's really hard for a normal user to reach 255 characters in a path but the ones that do, are fucked. Also that quote wasn't 255 characters by a long shot, 255 would be something like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Programs don't write directly to storage.

>>can't rename file while it is open
You usually can.
If you cant its only due to the shortcommings of the editor.
In the api, when opening a file, there is a flag for exclusive read/write access white the file is open.

>its an 8 bit integer value what titles are you even giving your files to exceed 255 characters?
It's the total path, genius. And considering that Windows programmers these days think it's acceptable for a plain-text editor to use 5 MB of RAM, you'd think using a a 16-bit variable for string indexing would be an option.

There wouldn't be any disk I/O until the file is saved. At that point, if the file was deleted, the program should prompt for a new filename, just as if you were saving a newly created file.

files are opened through a created file descriptor, which is linked to the actual file
if a file is deleted while it was being written to, the program continues to write to the file descriptor
if a file has any file descriptors pointing to it, it will remain on disk until that is no longer the case

try it, start writing a file, then delete the file. your free disk space will keep going down until the program writing the file closes the file, then the file is deleted for good and your disk space goes back to where you started

this way things won't just explode when you delete things out from under them

take the poo to the loonix

Brings back memories, one time I spent one day trying to figure out why my chat bot wouldn't properly encode its JSON messages and it turned out it was the retarded Windows terminal.

Do some research you fags. The MAX_PATH shit has actually been fixed.
> Starting in Windows 10, version 1607, MAX_PATH limitations have been removed from common Win32 file and directory functions. However, you must opt-in to the new behavior.
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx

Nothing breaks down because of it.

Don't install arch then you wont have that problem.

>>terminal is ass-backwards as fuck, doesn't even support UTF-8 lmao

I just met this problem yesterday at work. Why havent microsoft updated the terminal since 1979?

>"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I LIKE COCK IN MY MOUTH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 250234923049203492049302"

True

>can't have a file whose path is over 255 characters
When could this become a problem lmao.
>can't even rename or delete such a file if by some fucking esoteric way you manage to get one
Okay.
I don't know which "terminal" do you mean, but both CMD and PowerShell do support UTF-8.
>gray screen bug not fixed since 2011
Never experienced that, literally no idea what you mean by that.
>code base is known to be such a clusterfuck that it might never be fixed without rewriting the whole turd
Okay?
>doesn't even come with an SSH client LMFAO YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP
It does come with telnet, surely installing a 3rd party app can't be that hard for you if you're computer savvy enough to use SSH. Plus you can just use Bash on Ubuntu On Windows 10 that was added in Anniversary Update (if bash is capable of ssh).

>Doesn't see the problem with 255 path limit
>"if bash is capable of ssh"
What are you doing on this board? I'm not mad, I'm just amazed you're here and that you're sticking around somewhere you obviously have no place being.

>try linux
>no one is making niche software like on windows

>poo literally looks like curry

>linux is ALL there is to technology
You seem pretty dissatisfied with this board's contents, you understand that you can leave at any time, right?

No one at Microsoft actually knows how Windows works, it's all hacked together from copy pasted code

Administrator != LocalSystem

When will you fucking computer-illiterates learn?

Don't be an autist. if you can't see the problem with path limits and think that ssh is something that bash does then you know less than nothing about technology and just don't belong here. No loonix v wangblows fanboyism here, just autism on your part.

I always found it hilarious that *nix fags biggest complaints about Windows always end up being about how some "expected built-in feature" is missing.

Isn't one of Linux's strengths supposed to be how it is super modular? I thought being able to pick and choose which SSH client you wanted to use, among other things, was supposed to be a strong point.

What fucking problem? Name one (1) situation where 255 character path limit would severely limit you.

>If you don't know that bash can't ssh then you LITERALLY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TECHNOLOGY
And you're the one calling others autistic?
It's exactly the as if I said: "I you don't know what chroma subsampling VP9's profile 1 has then you know literally nothing about technology."

I've run into the 255 path limit myself. C:\Documents and Settings\David Goebel\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts\Old PC Backups\Old Old PC\Documents and Settings\David Goebel\Desktop\Backup\Old Documents\My Pictures\Summer 2002\Trip to grandparent's house\Kids playing with animals\DCIM\DCIM_00006.PNG

The fact that such a limit exists at all is retarded. Honestly easily avoidable if I'd stop nesting my backups on my desktop like this but still retarded.

Fair enough point about bash and ssh but ssh isn't something that bash does or doesn't, it's totally unrelated. It'd be like if I asked if ffmpeg can share my videos on Facebook.