Dhcpcd segfaults every time i connect to my router

>dhcpcd segfaults every time i connect to my router.

what do?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration#WPA2_Enterprise
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Donald going in deep as fuck. Why u do dis?

ill tell you if you fix my wifi connection

connect Ethernet, # pacman -Syyu

use networkmanager?

that's what i was using originally and it still wouldn't connect/ping anything. i only dmesg'd it when i enabled netctl instead but i think it's the same issue.

os? wifi or ethernet?

arch. ethernet is fine but wifi is just not working. this is what i get.

did you have netctl and networkmanager both enabled?

also is wifi security WPA2 personal?

no i disabled networkmanager using a systemctl command before enabling netctl.

im not sure.

try connecting using a command called nmtui

do you have to input just a password? or do you have to input username/password?

using wifi-menu i had to put in username and password.

ooh WPA2 Enterprise, wifi security that requires a username and password

I've never gotten wpa2 enterprise to work on arch; had to use Ubuntu/similar instead.

Contact your university/work to see if anyone can help set up. Probably everyone will say use Windows

if you want to read up, here's the relevant wiki page: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration#WPA2_Enterprise

that's odd, this is my personal wifi network. it does remember it when i put it in once sorry for not clarifying. same with networkmanager. thing is, with netctl i don't get an indication in i3status that i actually connected, but with networkmanager i do. both still can't connect to the internet though; whether i ping google or even the router/desktop i get nothing.

Standard troubleshooting: have you tried restarting computer? Wifi works on other devices?

Could you take a picture of you in wifi-menu where you input username and password?

yeah i've rebooted it multiple times, reinstalled it using netctl and networkmanager respectively.

huh, i can't seem to even select my wifi now. it just gave me this message.

post result of those commands

and journal

Run ip link set wlo1 down

Then try again

Also I'm going to sleep. Post again in twelve hours if you still need help

hol up i got another error message after trying to reconnect.

here. i think dhcpcd is the real culprit.

Try `busybox udhcpc`, I use it and it always works for me (unlike dhcpcd).

>setting up Arch is easy!
>doesn't even have a working dhcp client in the official repos

what did you expect from a distro that no-one anywhere uses in a professional or enterprise environment? it's an even worse hipster distro than gentoo.

An alternative is that you could just assign a static ip (ie like 192.168.0.2) to the system, and bypass dhcpcd altogether.

Dont use dhcpcd and netctl at the same time.
Disable dhcpcd.service and [email protected].

Use wifi-menu -o to set up your wifi.

Screenshotting this thread for my Arch masterrace folder

but why is dhcpcd not working?

>OP is an idiot
>attempts to use netctl and dhcpcd at the same time
>somehow it's the distro's fault

what, do you just use dhcpcd without netctl or vice versa? how is that less stupid?

I use netctl on my laptop and dhcpcd on my desktop, just don't try to use both at the same time because they will obviously conflict.

You use EITHER, but not BOTH. You all are some goddamn retards

why does arch-anywhere allow you to install both then? in fact it reccomends it.

i thought it adheres to the KISS philosophy; keep it software, sexy.

Because dhcpcd is a requirement of netctl? Is there a single person on this board that has a single fuck what they're doing?

>it's a requirement
>you can't run both

w-what

To clarify (again) if you want to USE netctl, you ONLY use netctl, and let it manage dhcpcd.

what do you mean let it manage dhcpcd? is that not what i have going on here? all i did was netctl up.

As in netctl uses dhcpcd. So if you want netctl to work, YOU need to leave dhcpcd alone, and let netctl use dhcpcd on its own.

ok let me explain to you what i did here.

all i did was disable nm which i had, and enabled/started netctl and signed into wifi-menu. how did i interfere with dhcpcd??????????

Uninstall NM, and reboot. After that, run wifi-menu

uninstalled NM, rebooted, ran wifi-menu and got this. still can't ping google or anything.

Reboot your router, your internet is down

Also, Opie, I reccomend connman instead of netctl

reboot my router? why? im using the same router right now to connect my nets to my phone.

also what's conman like?

What settings do you have in wifi-menu

other than w/e it comes with by default i just selected my ssid and entered my password. it's wpa.

I've got it working perfectly with Networkmanager on Arch. You could be doing something wrong or maybe you're missing optional dependancy's (don't know if there even are any). You could try again.

Just install Antergos, it sets up all that low level shit for you.

can i install i3 with it

Why not?

i mean can i do it without uninstalling XFCEDEPELELE first.

You can install i3 on fucking anything

it's not even low level shit. i just ran wifi-menu. how can this OS be so JUST?

I've never used the "Base Install" option which is what you want but I imagine it configures your network as well.

It designed to have almost nothing preconfigured for you, it's for people who have too much time on their hands to feel like they're doing something productive.

It's designed to be as low maintenance as possible for the distro maintainers. That means users have to know what they're doing, because maintainers aren't going to do shit for them.

The end result is still the same, only people who have too much time on their hands bother with it.

netctl us utter garbage