ALL TAB USERS REPORT IN

ALL TAB USERS REPORT IN

Space user reporting in

Tabs here
Why would you needlessly press space multiple times when tab does the same thing with one press? I mean it's like typing two V's everywhere you want to stick a W

What if pressing tab inputs spaces?

Also isn't this pic misleading since some IDEs just type tabs as multiple spaces?

>Why would you needlessly press space multiple times when tab does the same thing with one press?
Are you retarded? If you use spaces, you have your editor insert multiple space characters when you press the tab key

literally this
never understood spaces for indentation

So you're saying everyone uses TABs?

Spacebar niggers BTFO

>people who don't actually program

Agent 0x09, reporting. One shot one kill.

>never understood spaces for indentation
Indeed

>but user I want to bash my space key 12x every line indented 3x

I code HTML :^^^^^)

>line 1
>press space 12 times
>line 2300
>"fuck how many times did I press space?"
>press 10 times
>"mmh no not quite right..."
>press 2 more times
>"mmmh almost there..."
>repeat until you pressed the correct amount
>"shit letter indenting is different because a w is wider than a i"
>have to manually fix it with spaces

WHY THE FUCK DO PEOPLE USE SPACE?

:set tabstop=2
:set noexpandtab
:%retab!

they don't, study is fallacy. repeat: study. is. fallacy.

correct answer is tabs for indentation, space for alignment.

>>"shit letter indenting is different because a w is wider than a i"
>using a non-monospace font for programming
deserved it 2bh

becauser space is a standard size but tab can vary across platforms?

ur mom can vary from day to day but i still use her.

how would you change your indent size with spaces? you can easily change the displayed width of tabs.

I thought it was a thread that everyone comes with funny names like
>tabasco reporting in

My indent blocks are 1 space apart, which I use tab to input.

You guys do realize most text editors make tabs into spaces, right?

I've always used spaces instead of tabs.

My rationale:
The number of readers of any document will normally be greater than the number of authors. We should give a slight preference for readability and ease of comprehension over writeability, and should certainly not require that our readers adjust their editor settings for each document that they peruse.

In addition, it is useful to use vertical alignment to group related content that spans multiple lines. Although this at least partly an aesthetic choice, and not without drawbacks, I believe that the benefits outweigh the costs.
I believe that it looks neater, improves readability and also makes some errors "pop" out in a way that they don't in unaligned content. I find the ability to visually group related terms and expressions particularly useful.

The downside is that you have to "tidy up" after using refactoring tools or after doing a search-and-replace operation.

However, I believe that this downside is mitigated due to the fact that the very tidying up that is required is a good way of eyeballing the changes and checking to make sure that they are OK.

This is exactly the reason I prefer tabs.

If I like using 4-space sized tabs, and some other guy likes using 8-space sized tabs, if we both use spaces, then one of us is going to be stuck without our preference, but if we both use tabs, I can keep using my 4-spaces and he can keep using 8-spaces and everybody is happy.

No they haven't figured that out yet.

I use tabs and whenever you used spaces, I can tell which lines you touched which shows me where the problem is every time. :^)

>he actually uses tabs

You can also do that with diffs.

I can also just revert all commits tags with your name.

Pretty much. Tabs are goat

*tagged

gawd typing is terribad today, fuckin up my jokes

I also use a proportional font for programming.

Are spaces unusable in Go? That sounds neat

if you don't rtl you're still goyim

this

random code with spaces vs same code with tabs

I'm not sure which side you're on

C tab masterfucking race

I use tabs, because we use it at work and I got used to it.

filthy peasant

Tabs reporting in. And none of that "tab key puts in spaces" garbage. Full tab characters.

Even in python

>tab can vary across platforms
how is that a problem? the purposes of tabs is just to show "this bloc is more on the right, so it is inside that bloc on the left". space width doesn't matter.

Tabs for everything except lisp

tabbing looks ugly in nano and vim like 8-10 spaces. too much imo. So I stick to 4 spaces.

I use 5 spaces in my code, even if someone else uses tabs or 4/8 spaces

This is stupid, who actually uses spaces? This statistic is skewed, because some editors convert tabs to spaces.

And those editors are shit

>at work
>building on top of a script somebody else wrote for one time use.
>quick and dirty replace all tabs with space
>this guy had used tab characters in a sed expression or something
>spend ages trying to find the bug

Lesson here is always use spaces. It especially annoys me when I see a two space tab in a file with four space tabs. How the hell do you do that?

>>this guy had used tab characters in a sed expression or something
>>spend ages trying to find the bug
Why not just ctrl+f tab?

Spaces ensure that ASCII art comments show correctly across indentation levels

there wasn't a tab, i replaced it with 4 spaces

had no idea what was wrong

Oh, lol.

You should have just fed it through a script which only removed tabs at the start of lines. This is your fault user, not his.

If you're using a non-shit editor, it should be able to change the width of indentation for spaces too. So basically, all you are saying is
>I'm using a shit text editor that lets me change the width of tab indentation but not space indentation

Then why not just use tabs in the first place?

What editor can set the width of spaces only when used for indentation?

So because you use shit tools you want everyone to do things your shitty way?

Why the hell would you want an editor to do that?

The tab character was a nice idea.
It was implemented horribly in most cases.

You know Tab is a bad character for programming when Microsoft Word has better tabbing management than every fucking IDE in existence.

This is why I replace tabs with spaces.
However, I don't know of IDEs that support changing the width of space-indentation.

So, in conclusion, use Microsoft Word. Best IDE.

set expandtab

Because different OSes render things differently.

The real question is 2 vs 4 spaces and the answer is 2.

I feel unclean

>not 3

The only argument "against" tabs is that it will look different when someone sets their editor to make it look different (presumably because he prefers some other tab size). Which is not an argument, because the other person did deliberately set tab size to something other than 4, because he liked it this way. If you use spaces, you're just an autist who doesn't want other people to be comfortable reading your code with their desired preferences.

Yeah user, go and learn some regex