Raspberry Pi 3 B

What are the best uses you have found hands down?

Other urls found in this thread:

internetlivestats.com/internet-users/
spamhaus.org/lookup/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157594
ads-b.hayastan.tech:8080/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I bought this cause of hype and memes,now I will try squeeze some lemons out you guys cause i have no clue what to do with mine.

ubiquitu software for the AP, Zabbix and sabnzb. Although I don't recommend running sabnzb on it.

Control home surveillance and security cameras
Big advantage of SBCs: You can use cheap mass-produced USB battery packs as uninterruptible power supplies.
Even a 10000 mAh USB battery can power an RPi for many hours.

Home music server connected to all my speakers, also accessible on my phone on the go.

Also made a key fob reader for my front door i can open with my phone

I bought a bunch of these and some of those mini NES consoles. Tore out the guts of the consoles, set up retropi with a massive library and the ability to add more via an extra pair of USB ports I added onto the front. Sold the modified consoles for $1600-$1800 each.

Pi-hole

RetroPie and OSMC

This.
I also put Kodi on one and installed Exodus for free shit.

mine is in my pot plant with a temp/humidity sensor, and soil moisture sensor. probably should have got an arduino for this purpose but if you want network connectivity rpi seems cheaper

Retropie for sure. With a case, you have a home console that plays everything from Atari to PSX.

(troll-)bots, crawlers, onionscan and similar

Make intel Celeron J1900 motherboards look like a good deal.

server/desktop

Kodi. Fuck smart tvs with their shitty ui and fuck tv network with their ads.

Try ESP8266 my friend

I used to run a mumble server from it, now i run an OpenTTD server from it.

Mine waters my plants, monitors humidity/temp and turns the grow lights on and off.

Using an SJWpi....ever...there are better less shit alternatives.

with less community support

you can google "raspberry pi start program on boot" and get 200 newbie guides which is the actual appeal of a raspberry pi, newbie remote linux access

Yeah, with support dropped after a year and no community.

why the fuck would you butcher a NES for tha-
>1600 dollars
holy shit user

No god damn way you found someone stupid enough to pay that price. $500 would be extreme.

Normie Tier: Buy a I2S DAC for it, load up volumio onto it. Use it airport music player and playing placebo tier audio files and also spotify.

Home automation.

I have my pi zero set up as a homebridge server so i can turn off outlets via siri.

6 dollar sonoff relays are great if you can tinker a bit.

Make it a home backup server:
Step 1: allow ssh
2. put in usb drive or hard drive connected by usb
3. set up chron job to backup a folder from the sd card to the drive
4. use rsync to send files from your laptop

End result is three copies of your data, two of which are not on your laptop.

Hijacking this thread. I've got a beaglebone that I used for libreboot and wanted to use as a seedbox, but I don't torrent much anymore. Give me uses.
>host sites through le cloud provider
>barely torrent anymore and got sick of private trackers
>don't listen to enough music to keep an MPD server running
>i2p is lacking content (but this will probably be what I end up doing with it)
>don't use TV so no home server
I saw a cute home server UI that had nekopara characters on it, and that encourages me to set one up.

this

I actually recently thought about this

You know how with cars, there's two buttons, lock and unlock? Well why can't we have a similar system with house door locks?

You know, have a raspberry pi set up with a transceiver, have it lock the door when sent a signal, have it be unlocked when sent another signal.

I was just looking if anyone already did this or not.

I want to do that and host a perforce repository, is there a good cheaper alternative for this or RPI is the cheaper?

I was recommended Raspberry Pi by my professor at college to get further into coding. my family and i are very poor but the amount of money that a raspberry pi would cost me seems like a doable expense. Its the only thing i've asked for as a christmas gift and is making me question if i should have not asked for it and told my parents to save the money. is just being a grinch or did i ask for a paperweight.

If your budget for something that can do light programming is under 50 bucks, then a RaspberryPi can work for you. Most of us have multiple PCs and just meme the Pi for small projects that most of us never actually do or have a real use for.

You'd still need peripherals like a keyboard and monitor of course.

RetroPie and Kodi

Alternatively, hold out for a cheap chromebook or thinkpad from craigslist. You can also use online IDEs like Cloud9 for free from a school computer.

Thank you, that's very reassuring.
Ill look more into this 'cloud9' thing as you mention

git repositroy, vpn

Gogs server.

This. I have a pi I never use because I have a desktop, two laptops, a nas server, and a box full of parts with which I could probably build another computer or two. If you don't have this kind of surplus the pi would be okay for writing basic server apps and the like.

it could be somewhat slow for that and I would not recommend nobody to write that much dat on the sdcard, they are prone to failure, specially if they are cheap sd cards.

I write to the sd card because my files total in the megabyte range.

Backing up directly to a hard drive (or two) is also possible.

But you are right I should have mentioned that.

So much this. Kodi is the best thing to use with a rasp pi!

Plus slap in exodus and you can get the latest shit to watch

Sell it, buy an Odroid.

Don't buy Shitberry Pi.

yeah, I didn't meant to sound like an asshole but I got one myself and while digging around about what could you do, a lot of people were complaining about that.
I have one running pihole at the family business office and I plan to get one to do that at least too at home.

I use it as an IDS/IPS for my network. Block malware DNS servers, monitor any data leaks as well as any scanning done on me (especially I live in an urban environment)

Does the job perfect as an IDS/IPS/Firewall

Van you run the xu4 on batteries?

Can you use the same software you would use for the pi on the odroid? The XU4 looks like a beast.

Yes, but it uses a lot of power (compared ot a Pi) so it isn't very feasible.

Depends on the software in question. Most linux distributions with ARM architecture work with the XU4, but distros specifically designed for the Pi likely won't.

i've got mine running osmc with a load of addons, runs with no problems

I don't know why people struggle to find uses for this thing. Mine:

-hosts my mail server
-hosts my seedbox
-hosts my blog (LMAO)
-hosts my vpn server
-hosts my dns cache

And that's just some of the stuff you can do with only standard packages. It also does some stuff with some scripts I wrote myself.

I'm genuinely curious, what's the point of a Raspberry Pi?

I have an ancient Atom D525 motherboard and it works quite well for all the small tasks I have. Current embedded x86 motherboards shouldn't be too expensive either. Why not just use one of those?

>-hosts my mail server
How to make your shit not marked as spam? Also do you use a web frontend and if yes which one?
>-hosts my seedbox
I ran usenet on mine and it was a shit experience. Actually works decent with torrents?
>-hosts my vpn server
The throughput is just to shit. I rolled my own pfsense box with VPN. I reach 800MBps in throughput.

Cheap, low power, lots of support and prefabs and tutorials for people who don't know much about embedded systems.

>Does the job perfect as an IDS/IPS/Firewall
any setup guides to get that up and running?

It's lacking a lot of features, though. Like proper networking or SATA ports. that excludes many potential uses.

The way I see it, you might as well buy an Atom/Celeron Mini-ITX board for 10$ more and have a lot more options.

You have GPIO on the rpi. It's enough to fuck around with home automation and other fun shit like turning a led on and off.

>Around 40% of the world population has an internet connection today

internetlivestats.com/internet-users/

It's an entry level consumer product. It sacrifices features and markets itself on ease of use for beginners instead. No one said it's cutting edge or superior, it's just a cheap first car for new drivers.

>Why not just use one of those?
Because you already have spare shit to use you dope.

The PI was created as a cheap learning tool as an entry point to computing/electronics/programming. Not for faggots to buy a fistful and post on the internet about what to do with them.

>How to make your shit not marked as spam?

Set up your mail server properly so it can't get hijacked by spammers. Failing to do so will get your server put on blacklists, which take a while to expire. Make sure your DNS has SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records set up.

There are mail stacks that you can install like iRedMail and MailCow, that will handle all the setup for you, save for the DNS bits.

>I ran usenet on mine and it was a shit experience. Actually works decent with torrents?

Seems to run fine for me.

>The throughput is just to shit. I rolled my own pfsense box with VPN. I reach 800MBps in throughput.

The throughput probably is shit. I don't use it as a forwarding VPN, I use it as a "traditional" VPN, for the purposes of accessing my local network from a remote one.

>Set up your mail server properly so it can't get hijacked by spammers. Failing to do so will get your server put on blacklists, which take a while to expire. Make sure your DNS has SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records set up.
>There are mail stacks that you can install like iRedMail and MailCow, that will handle all the setup for you, save for the DNS bits
Thanks. Going to try it out.

>buy an Atom/Celeron Mini-ITX board for 10$ more and have a lot more options.
The fuck are you talking about? You'll also need a CPU, Memory, and a Hard drive, that's far beyond the cost of a little Pi.

Hey are you me?

>chron
end your life

If you're hosting this on a residential connection like me, you might want to check if your IP is listed here:

spamhaus.org/lookup/

It might already be listed under the PBL, which is a listing of consumer pool IP addresses. Most mail servers will block these addresses. If that's the case, you could use a "smarthost" that will forward your mail on your behalf. A service like MailJet will give you come bandwidth for free, usually more than enough for a personal server.

If you do this, thought, you'll have to be very careful you don't wind up becoming a spam relay. These services track spam reports very closely.

Some email providers blacklist residential IPs, which means you need a proper static IP to reach them.

>CPU
Comes on the motherboard, whole package runs around 45$
>Memory
Shouldn't be very expensive, you won't need a lot of it
>Hard drive
You'll need an SD card for your Pi
You'll might need a mini HDMI adapter for your Pi
You'll probably need a dedicated USB charger for your Pi.

fugg both my VPS IP range and home connection is there. Going to have to reconsider rolling my own shit unless I go the relay route.

>still using cron instead of chron

Enjoy not using the most cutting edge software, gayboy. :^)

>Comes on the motherboard, whole package runs around 45$
Could you show me? I'm genuinely interested now.

i bought a touchscreen for my retropie but the output always goes to HDMI and when i switch to terrminal it uses de little screen, retropie trolling me hard :S

Does it play PS1 games well?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157594

There are more expensive ones with intel chips for 55$+, but this one is the same price as a RasPi

Getting one for Christmas. Getting openELEC and Conq. It's going to be ultimate comfy for watching films [spoiler]and anime{/spoiler]

You need one that allows for "transactional email", that's what's it's called when you send them individually and for a specific purpose.

You'll also need to configure your SMTP server to relay to that host, but most of smarthosts provide tutorials on how to configure their services with postfix.

Throwing them in the trash because they're fucking pieces of shit

>all distros are shit
>all hardware drivers are shit
>all software is shit
>too slow to run a web browser properly
>too slow to run anything else properly either
>proprietary garbage everywhere

Why don't you make better distros, drivers or software, then?

Buttplug.

3D printer controller

Want to make an infrared viewer next.

okay so i just undusted my pi 3 which i have barely ever used since i got it after hearing about kodi

now i want to know which "OS" is the best to use for kodi? currently on osmc but it feels kind of clunky. i was thinking maybe libreelec is faster and more snappy since it's just a barebones kodi "OS", is that so?

also, any other cool things you can configure to do in kodi other than playing your media and using media addons like exodus?

I have Retropi, OSMC, and Debian all on the same SD card and use it as a little media center. The Debian install is just so I can use Moonlight stream and play games on my PC from my living room. Picked up a USB ethernet adapter for this because it's a bit faster than the Rpi2 onboard one. I also have a USB coax plug and set up OSMC to use as a DVR, writing to a thumb drive.

That's the same reason i picked up openelec at first, but switched to OSMC because it let me use perl to automatically download the latest TV schedule without having to modify and compile it myself like i would have had to do with openelec. I guess it's just a question of hi what you want from it and how willing and competent you are at getting it to do it.

I've tested xbian, openelec and raspbmc on rpi 1 and only xbian ran satisfactory. Now I've moved to rpi 3 and xbian also works great. I haven't tested libreelec, so you may want to try that.

I'm using one with a hifiberry for Runeaudio. But it's sort of wasted on it, since the Pi2 does the same job Volumino (or the other way round, I can't even remember).

You get the most for your money probably with Kodi though.

I'm pretty sure this thing doesn't have enough processing power to form social or political opinions.

I use it as an ADS-B radar to feed FR24's system. I get a business account for free in return.

> Check it out

ads-b.hayastan.tech:8080/

Putting them in a drawer and pretending I'm gonna do something with them. When in reality in just going to impulse buy them one after the other

Also my dad works for Nintendo

>place under door
>door stays open

I use them to play videos in "Escape Rooms" that I build puzzles for. Python's "pexpect" library works great for controlling omxplayer based on GPIO inputs.

For seamless transition between videos, I open video 2 and pause it, then open video 1 and let it play. then when it is time to switch videos I just unpause video 2 and close video 1.

Every action you do in life is in some way because of "hype and memes". If you were trying to call someone a charlatan, you failed.

Use the motor controller to create USB dildo server.

that is one unflattering picture

Retropie

my b runs a minecraft server with 4-6 people just fine
>basically you're retarded

Install RISC OS and learn to program in BBC BASIC

>NES minis retail for $60
>People selling them on eBay for 3-6 times that or more

Yes. Entirely possible to find people stupid enough.

Media Server
OpenVPN tunnel endpoint
DNS server (network wide advertisement filtering, adblock on all devices)
Mini WiFi AP (hostapd)

I tried using it as a torrent machine but for unknown reasons the download throttles and dies.
I've done everything I found on Google and it seems I'm the 1% because it works for everyone except me.

Mine did the same. I ended up putting a fan on it because it was getting incredibly hot. Doing this fixed the issue.