Is it possible for individuals to technically contribute to human life extension?

for example by writing code toward some goal?

or are we all fucked unless calico/google make a breakthrough?

Other urls found in this thread:

genomics.senescence.info/genes/search.php?organism=Mus musculus&show=4
google.com/search?q=github bioinformatics
google.ru/search?q=github biology
biostars.org/p/130126/
google.com/search?q=how to contribute to bioinformatics
google.com/search?q=how to contribute to life extension
quora.com/As-a-computer-scientist-how-can-I-contribute-to-life-extension-research
gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=essential cell biology&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, entirely possible. There are several ways:

1) Become a molecular biologist/system biologist/geneticist
2) Become a bioinformatics researcher
3) Become a machine learning researcher (ML is widely used in biology and life extension
4) Get a job in bioinformatics (they need programmers) or in biotech company as a programmer
5) Contribute to one of very many biology, bioinformatics or data analysis projects on github (this also has benefits for your resume, open-source contributions count)
6) Become rich doing some internet business, then invest in biology/life ext./

A pleasure to see such thread on Sup Forums, seeing someone practically interested in life extension is a rare occurrence. Write me a email to [email protected] so we don't lose contact.

You're going to die.

fuck off we don't need that shit.

See how some of the 80 years old look? That shit is not natural. a lot of them have miserable lifes too

It is very much possible that we will die, but at least we can try to do something about it while we are alive. There is a paper describing 500% life extension in worms via genetic engineering. There are similar papers (with lower %) for mouse.

Life extension is clearly possible in large mammals and humans, but it is a very hard hard goal.

Don't be a stupid layman, user. Life extension is about extension of healthspan, not just lifespan. In your 80s you could be like in your 60s, and in your 100s like in your 80s.

maybe you should learn about the ongoing research instead of spouting memes like calico

>Get a job in bioinformatics (they need programmers) or in biotech company as a programmer

This part is only true for a person with a Phd.

>Contribute to one of very many biology, bioinformatics or data analysis projects on github (this also has benefits for your resume, open-source contributions count)

This part might just be phishing.

Calico is a serious organization that hired many PhDs that produced state-of-art research. They hire top scientists.

That being said, of course one needs to know current research. This database can be helpful, it has links to papers genomics.senescence.info/genes/search.php?organism=Mus musculus&show=4 papers can be downloaded via sci-hub.cc , books are available at gen.lib.rus.ec

>This part is only true for a person with a Phd.

No it isn't, these jobs are in high demand and they don't pay as well as silicon valley jobs. I think they can hire you with any B.S. and even without B.S. if you prove yourself.

>This part might just be phishing.

Explain yourself.

I'm a qa automation engineer, I like this career.

yes I could become a gerontologist and I might one day, but that's not my question. can I come back home after work and code something useful to the whole end?

what are some heuristics to get there?

5) Contribute to one of very many biology, bioinformatics or data analysis projects on github (this also has benefits for your resume, open-source contributions count)

this is legitimate too, what are some projects of interest?

yeah the whole point is to prevent that
I want to be 80 and OK if not better and 'classic'

dying while repressing a pro-agist rebelion? ok for me.

I'm legitimately worried about what will happen once something like this is found. I bet it will be either secret, highly expensive, or both and people will unreasonably fight to obtain it.

I'm a professional programmer and I know quite a bit about QA.

>can I come back home after work and code something useful to the whole end?
I think you can, if you find a right project.

>what are some heuristics to get there?
I can name a few tools, but I think we should look at major papers and see which tools did they use, then find these tools in open-source repos and see issues.
Also we could pledge to help these institutions to fix/enhance their websites and/or databases

Also I think we could make cool websites to engage people in life extension.

guess who's arguments would governments push to legitimize the blocking of rejuvination?

yours, so you get to be old while some christian politician who blocks rejuvenation "for the children" goes to the clinic to look 40 forever.

google.com/search?q=github bioinformatics
google.ru/search?q=github biology

Let's try to find appropriate projects here?

too much stuff that isn't relevant to my concerns atm.
I know the gist of it and I'm looking for something meaningful to do. now going to github as this guy recommended.

also I used calico as a well known example, not as a hard fact.

For starters you could get some basic understanding of biology/bioinformatics, this requires learning in your free time.

>I'm a qa automation engineer, I like this career.
You could do QA in bioinformatics company, they have complex web frontends. Though it's your choice, of course.

honestly I just want to look sexy and not be slowed down/ have risk of degenerate disease on my ass, its a simple goal.

but all my ideas are not feasible for me , this is irritating.
for example I was thinking about making a standard model for the human body that is extensible and comprehensive
so you could save example human profiles as files and compare them, etc

but this isn't a project for 1 layman guy whos knowledge of biology extends to QS and bodybuilding, and not much more.
this is a project for a huge company and 400m$ budget.

I want to check it out, but I'm afraid if I get poisoned again, I might turn back into a glass of orange juice and someone will spill me.

looking for this stuff on the side...
medical QA is my end goal for a realistic career

Almost all people would opt for being young longer. I certainly would (^:

>but all my ideas are not feasible for me , this is irritating.
Start with something small! Systematically review other people's projects, even open source fitness apps count.

>for example I was thinking about making a standard model for the human body that is extensible and comprehensive
>so you could save example human profiles as files and compare them, etc
That's systems biology. I think in simplified form it could be done by one developer, but one needs to define clear goals for project and variables for the model. What you are going and not going to model.
Again, we could discuss it in more detail later if you email me at

there is indirect contribution which is nice:
donating money, making blogs, teaching, advertising etc

and direct contribution which is nicer:
-actually making viable business
-making frameworks that enable faster research
-doing actual research
-managing papers/search engines
-creating utilities
-making love to female life extension scientists to motivate them.

You are one good user, please don't ditch this goal, pin it to the wall in your room or something, so you don't forget about it !

I think we could make medium posts about these issues "I want to contribute code to biology research, how do I do it" or "What I learned trying to contribute to bioinformatics projects" and PR them on hackernews.

biostars.org/p/130126/

google.com/search?q=how to contribute to bioinformatics
google.com/search?q=how to contribute to life extension
quora.com/As-a-computer-scientist-how-can-I-contribute-to-life-extension-research

>google.com/search?q=how to contribute to life extension

op here, already doing my research.

I have decided on this strategy :
- focus on medical QA aspects, since this is basically what I ended up doing for most of the time
-focus on learning more stats for data sceince , since I think this is important
-see if there are local projects in my area where I can volunteer
-try to see if there is a reasonable set of biology knowledge I can acquire that will be useful for doing or processing or commenting on work
-set up a local blog in my language
-get back in contact with facebook groups that deal with this and go to their meetups

keep evangelizing to normies in my own way that they can understand when they complain about aging issues.
(basically it consists of lying about how celebrities get new experimental treatments to look young, but it works)

>keep evangelizing to normies in my own way that they can understand when they complain about aging issues.
>(basically it consists of lying about how celebrities get new experimental treatments to look young, but it works)

That's very smart. I too came to this conclusion. Being a zealot of radical life-extension only makes people aversive towards you, you are marginalizing yourself this way.

A smart way is to influence people indirectly, so they come to the right conclusions by themselves. Pointing to celebrities is very smart gesture as well, celebs are famous and people often copy their habits.

>-focus on learning more stats for data sceince , since I think this is important
Naive bayes and logistic regression go a long way.

>-try to see if there is a reasonable set of biology knowledge I can acquire that will be useful for doing or processing or commenting on work
There are popular books and comprehensive textbooks like gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=essential cell biology&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def
wikipedia is also good

bump

OP, how about writing an evidence-based nutrition adviser webapp, or a fitness adviser webapp.

>extension
I thought you said "extinction".

I'm not interested anymore.

When you become old you will hate your current young self for being a useless idiot.

Donate money to research.

Easiest path. Also things like fold at home and such allow you to donate your computer's abilities to research.

Little things help user

These are ineffective, it's better to campaign for more funding than donating, it's even better to contribute directly.