Microsoft Admits It “Went Too Far” with Aggressive Windows 10 Updates

news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-admits-it-went-too-far-with-aggressive-windows-10-updates-511245.shtml

>Microsoft has often been criticized for how aggressive it was with the free Windows 10 upgrade offer, with some users complaining that the new operating system was installed on their computers even though they refused the upgrade.

>One particular moment that fueled all this criticism was when Microsoft change the behavior of the X button in the Get Windows 10 app, as clicking this button no longer canceled the upgrade, but ignored the setting and prepared the install in the background.

>Chris Capossela, Chief Marketing Officer at Microsoft, said in the latest edition of the Windows Weekly that this was the moment when the company indeed went too far, pointing out that the two weeks between the moment when users started complaining about the unexpected behavior and the one when a patch was released were “very painful.”

>“We know we want people to be running Windows 10 from a security perspective, but finding the right balance where you’re not stepping over the line of being too aggressive is something we tried and for a lot of the year I think we got it right, but there was one particular moment in particular where, you know, the red X in the dialog box which typically means you cancel didn’t mean cancel,” he said.

>“And within a couple of hours of that hitting the world, with the listening systems we have we knew that we had gone too far and then, of course, it takes some time to roll out the update that changes that behavior. And those two weeks were pretty painful and clearly a lowlight for us. We learned a lot from it obviously.”

Other urls found in this thread:

news.microsoft.com/bythenumbers/windows-ten
youtube.com/watch?v=ZSM3w1v-A_Y
eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI&index=2&list=PLLiofSkGgUwcp2TQgSQRM-T8YV9jsPFK8
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
vfio.blogspot.com
redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/vfio-users
youtube.com/watch?v=X0IfxzkABrY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

As if they really give a shit

Thanks Trump

Well it worked, didn't it?

>More than 400 million devices are running Windows 10 in 192 countries around the world (That's nearly every country on the planet.)

news.microsoft.com/bythenumbers/windows-ten

too late poojeet

>As if they really give a shit
This basically, if they fucking cared they'd update Windows 10 and give users the ability to opt out of updates entirely.

Cuck OS so no cucks care.

fucking keck w10

thats what happens when you hand control of a multi-billion dollar corporation over to a bunch of third world pajeets and pakis,

dumb fucks

>making X install it instead of cancelling goes too far
do they need telemetry to tell them that? Either they're fucking retarded or they're doing damage control really pathetically.

I cannot begin to fathom how some of the shit that has happened with windows has been allowed to happen. The UI being a clusterfuck of a dozen different styles used completely randomly was the first thing I noticed. If I was running the place I'd tell those moron devs to start over and get it right instead of releasing such a piece of junk to the world. Do devs these days no shame or sense of quality?

I forgive Microsoft. Windows 10 is great!

It fucking sucks actually. But I would take every time over Linux.

I'll install it when it becomes paid. This will mean they respect their customers again and treat them like beta testers. As for now, 8.1 it is.

How long was that running? How many cores in your machine?

*and not treat

Again?

This is the standard methodology of just doing it then asking for forgiveness, rather than asking for permission and possibly being denied.

Uber's doing it right now, rolling out their driverless cars in California and going "Oops! We'll fill out the forms later!" rather than getting the proper papers to put driverless cars on the road like most companies have done.

Not him but Telemetry, Protection service and Defender are bloated as fuck.

Microsoft already knew they went to far. But in all fairness, if Apple did the same people would make some excuse like "unifying muh ecosystem"

>We learned a lot from it obviously.

They didn't learn shit from it.

That's just a meaningless thing they say to make it look like they give a fuck.

You can tell they didn't give a shit about it, because it didn't result in any high-profile firings. I'm sure the people who greenlighted the hyper-aggressive updates were secretly praised behind closed doors.

When money is flowing in the doors, corporations never give a shit about criticism. Every new W10 install means more spyware deployed, which means more personal data rolling in they can sell to the highest bidder, or more eyeballs on their storefront. Why would they give a fuck about anything else?

... It is paid

Bigger icons!!!

"We're sorry! (Not really)"

Too little too late. They already shit the street.

>what's high dpi

Sup Forums hates Reddit, but copy and pastes the content from there.

Could have at least linked directly to the video instead of that awful website.

Something that's broken

Sup Forums hates Reddit because Redditors keep coming here and pasting their crap

hello pajeet

>rapists admits he went too far with aggressive penetration
wow

yeah, they don't... He is just doing his job and pretending that they care because he thinks it will be good from a marketing perspective if he can trick people into believing that.

It was not painful to him, he paid people to deal with the complaints.

Probably a crash or something, maybe new application install, that triggered it to run and unsurprisingly it uses processing power for an amount of time.

I mean, that process isn't even running on my Windows 10 machine and I haven't gone out of my way to fully disable things.

>apple removes the battery remaining estimate from the systray
>"it was never accurate anyway so its good that they remove it!"

YOU'RE A GOD DAMN KEK IF YOU USE MICROSOFT PRODUCTS

Slowest adoption of any windows OS, took forever to overtake even fucking XP. 7 still has a significantly higher share. 8.1 still has a much higher share. It was a complete failure.

I'll officially be a microsoft employee within the next 4 months, what do?

Quit.

kys yourself

b-but muh money!

Then that means they didn't force Windows 10 on people like you mongoloids claim.

If they actually did, then Win10 would easily have something like a 90% marketshare.

eat shit poojeet

Hi pajeet.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

Hi

Have an upvote.

I even like 10 and I'm straight up not going to try and defend this. It's bullshit, and objectively makes the operating system worse by a wide margin.

sadly, everyone is a cuck in 2k+17, even sore eaters

The retail version is dramatically better than the upgraded version. I'm convinced most of the people having issues with W10 were upgrades, Microsoft should have offered a key instead of upgrading.

Were you living under a rock for the last decade? There aren't any customers anymore, only the product.

There's no way that Windows 10 adoption was slower than Vista

Wow, BTFO, guys

*tips*

official thread theme song

youtube.com/watch?v=ZSM3w1v-A_Y

>We know we want people to be running Windows 10 from a security perspective
>from a security perspective

people were buying lots of computer when vista released. I can see it happening.

Or a CIA nigger

>We know we want people to be running Windows 10 from a security perspective
Even their apology is a marketing pitch. I like these guys

The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

>Wincuckolds will defend this

You can install this problem on a macbook.

What about your soul though?

Try working for an ISP tech department where a customer blamed our company for windows 10 being installed and wanted to sue us and not microsoft, gosh that was a fun chat, legit muted thism cunt several times and pmsl

If they were sorry they'd issue a patch rolling back updates on the machines that received this malicious functionality. Oh? What's that? They aren't rolling back the updates? Ya, that's because those machines are running Windows 10 just like they wanted.

Thanks w10 now I'm converted to Linux.

I tried to get w10 running under qemu with pci passthrough. but the nvidia drivers cockblock me via detecting that the driver runs under VM (I tried every know tweak from the vfio and qemu mailinglists) :( I guess Nvidia wants me to buy their expensive tesla cards .. if you want to have some hardware fun here change your titan to a tesla model with changing a couple resistors (yes the cards are identical but cost ten times more) eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/

here some examples of passtrough and caged w10 boxes as gaming VMs.
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI&index=2&list=PLLiofSkGgUwcp2TQgSQRM-T8YV9jsPFK8

general arch wiki on passtrough wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
VFIO blog vfio.blogspot.com
VFIO mailing list redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/vfio-users

You can cage windows and only miss a couple frames. So anyone wanting to test this feel free. I gave up thanks to Nvidia scum driver and my limited soldering fu

Now I bought some cheap secondhand hardware and run linux as desktop. after a couple months my transition is complete. I don't miss anything except games. Now I have a mid-range gaming rig that I only turn on for gaming once in a while.

>he shills for a shitty os
>he does it for free
at least pajeets get rupees.

Unless they get fined few billions, this is just PR talk. It's called forgiveness not permission method.
Large corporations will continue to abuse their power unless they're consistently held accountable for their abusive actions.

My god that font looks horrible

This isn't a support thread and this isn't a support board, but could you guys please tell me how the fuck to make windows 10 stop touching my disk so much?

I haven't used Windows in about ten years, when I boot my Arch install it just boots and my HDD basically rests until I ask it to do something. When I boot Windows this piece of shit won't let my HDD in peace the fucking led won't stop blinking and starting stuff takes longer.

Whenever I look at the task manager it's a different thing taking cpu time (update, compatibility something, search indexing).

Jesus Christ, I don't even change my system that much why the fuck does it have to scan the entire disk all the time?

>listening systems

So they heard through the built in laptop mics that people were cursing when the window appeared?

fpbp

What's the difference?

Use Windows more. No, really.
If you only boot into Windows 10 once a week, it will have to install and configure tons of updates every time. Best solution is to either kick it off your system or let it run over night at least once a week.

This. I unironically think it's the best Windows version ever made. Just works for me.

I'm perfectly happy selling my soul to the devil for a couple 0's more, user-kun.

you have to use no-kvm, but I think there's an extra failure point with 10, not sure. Anyway, 7 works great so long as you do NOT follow any of the guides (they contain critical flaws, saying some flags are necessary when in fact it's those flags that break pci passthrough).

I don't use windows 10 that often, I just turn off the automatic updates.

youtube.com/watch?v=X0IfxzkABrY

Too far? Jesus after all my family memeber got 10 the calls bothering me to fix viruses and repair their computers just stopped. People are idiots when they know just enough to think they arent idiots, the people who know nothing and the people who are very tech savy have no issues with win 10, its only the idiots who think they arent idiots who cant use 10 properly.

I say they did it just right, force all the tards who know nothing to update and stay protected and the intelligent people can bypass all that.

nice try poojeet
ms can reenable services remotely

It's classic Sup Forums...

Kek

I just got an idea. Windows 7 was the last good Windows and it will be supported till 2020. They should handover W7 to another company that could make the updates.

I have never updated windows 10 since I bought my laptop a few months ago. The updates have never been enabled remotely, and I'm not a poo, you faggot.

I refuse to believe they are sorry considering how much effort went into crafting the old W10 install screen to make sure that oblivious users would end up as deep into their botnet as possible.

Microsoft is desperate and needs to get people into their shop and mobile devices asap.

>We learned a lot from it obviously.
I guess they learned they should not give that much choice to the end user. Microsoft's slogan should be "It is important to rape the end user so often and so brutally that eventually the end user will no longer think there's anything wrong with being raped brutally and often".

POO
IN
LOO
PAJEET

never understood this shit, windows never updated anything on my PC

0.3 rupees were deposited in your account.

0.03 rupees were deposited in your account.

How about apologizing for trying to backport all that telemetry shit into windows 7 making me never trust patches for it ever again?

Yea sure, just keep name calling instead of educating yourself. No wonder sand and curry niggers replace you losers.

Kindly do the needful.

It's better to just do a fresh install instead of upgrade

I think 90% of all people think it's better.

Sup Forums is just a shithole filled with bitter neckbeards that hate anything mainstream. Hating on anything Microsoft is just a popular thing to do on Sup Forums so everyone on here just jumps the bandwagon.

>I got it
>lets remove cleartext and make everything blurry

You can choose not to.