Obsolete tech

Obsolete tech.

I wonder if a USB 3.0 PCI card exist. You would be limited to the PCI bus though, which is about 100 MB/s or so. Still better than USB 2.0 which is about 50-60 MB/s.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Media_Bus
amazon.co.jp/玄人志向-インターフェース-MiniPCI-Express-USB3-0-MPCIE/dp/B009KKLRM6/
hwtools.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

that's actually pretty funny desu
PCI BTFO

PCI can go up to just over 500MB/s, only a bit less than the 625MB/s of 3.0.

your down syndrome is showing

I'm pretty sure the 133 MB/s one is the one you will find on most motherboards.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

whichever one it is, it will always be bottlenecked; especially when using multiple devices

PCI has already been replaced by PCI Express though. A latest version PCIe x16 bus can reach throughputs of like 14GB/s.

Lets see if you can name what this obsolete slot is Sup Forums
Yes, that one half is PCI but it is not PCI-X.

isa?

>tfw reverse image search exists and it is too easy

VLB?

The command set is very much alive.

Some kind of PCI variant slot, I forget what its called exactly.

PCI can do 500MB/s, and usb 2.0 tends to peak around 30MB/s in real life usage. 35MB/s if you're lucky.

Command set is alive yeah, but it's evolved very far from what it used to be in the 80's and 90's on many other levels.

Looks like PCI X to me.

asus media bus

They do exist, and they have a purpose.

You can get greater than USB2.0 speeds over the PCI bus to a single device.

I have a mini PCI-e 1.0 card in my server that gives me two USB3.0 ports I use for backups. Better than using the USB2 ports. Same speed bus as PCI too.

PCI-X has the key on the rear like pcie does. This is some nonstandard manufacturer specific crap.

i dont remember how many years ago...
but i remember when my mother had to buy a usb card for her windows 95 computer.

I know USB 3.0 PCI-X cards exist, and they're backwards compatible with PCI.

Mpcie gives you pcie 1x, doesn't it?

Yes, so around 150MB/s.

Once user said asus media bus, I looked it up and saw the same picture as OPs, but you have admit that it looks a lot like a PCI X slot, the 64-bit version.

Oh. Right.
I had no idea 1x was that slow.

Why did we get rid of pci again?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Media_Bus

It was a short lived interface designed for media systems in the 1990's, essentially it allowed for manufactures to produce expansion cards with more than one function like video cards with audio capability. The supposed logic behind this was it reduced the amount of slots you'd have to use for various expansion cards and possibly reduce inter compatibility problems between them.

smaller physical interface connector.

Oh right, forgot the 5v version exists. Still, if it was a normal pci-x slot it would hopefully be all in one piece.

Because it's smaller and the cards will work in whatever slot they will fit in, so you could stick a 1x card in any slot and a 4x card in a 4x, 8x, or 16x slot. Of course nobody ever uses this part of the design.

Besides RAID controllers, are there any 4x or 8x cards?

>mini PCI-e 1.0 card in my server that gives me two USB3.0 ports
Pics?

Sorry, I remembered wrongly.
1.0 1x was 250MB/s.
3.0 1x is just under 1GB/s.

Basically we got rid of PCI because it was big and couldn't scale up like PCI-e does.

amazon.co.jp/玄人志向-インターフェース-MiniPCI-Express-USB3-0-MPCIE/dp/B009KKLRM6/

All objectively superior to USB. Except the VGA of course

I wouldn't really say they're superior to it. More that USB should be used in tandem with them instead of in place of them.

Parallel printers just worked. Serial mice just worked. How I long for those days.

>objectively

hwtools.net/ has some oddball adapters too.

>used in tandem with them
i agree. the same ports were not meant for all physical connections. id say more but i'm drunk and am too stupid.

Exactly, peripherals could keep using the old ports while new shit like flash drives and HDDs would be better with USB

>4x
4-port 1Gbe ethernet cards
PCI-E SSDs
Thunderbolt expansion cards.
USB-C cards
Very few graphics cards.

>8x
10Gbe SFP+ network cards
40Gbe QSFP+/Infiniband network cards
RAID/JBOD cards
FC HBA cards
Enterprise PCI-E SSD's
PCI-E over external cable
Some workstation graphics cards.

They do.

expansion slot general when?

uhhhh why though when the bus can't even keep up with the speed

probably never, because if you go on any desktop guts thread you'll notice that no one ever installs anything other than a graphics card.

Because PCI is at max ~9x faster than USB 2.0, so even though it's not fast enough to achieve full USB 3 speeds it's still a hell of a lot faster than USB 2.

I need this.
Where to buy?

It's a startech card that's available on amazon or newegg.

Probably has shitty drivers to go along with it too, but who knows.

Yeah I'm not paying the price of a modern pc just for that

Looks like the bastard child of agp and pci

>Probably has shitty drivers to go along with it too, but who knows.

chances that a generic usb 3.0 driver shipped with any modern OS will work with it.

They make adapters to go from PCI-E 1x to PCI which are cheap. Combine that with a half-height PCI-E 1x USB 3.0 card and you're set.

>modern
>unix-anything OS
are you sure about that?

>58147482

gotta work harder for that (you) pajeet.

I wish I had a serial port :c Now I have to use USB -> serial, or my old thinkpad.

Isn't USB simply a successful attempt at standardizing serial ports? Is there actually something wrong with USB or is it just Sup Forums being tech hipsters as usual?

>Isn't USB simply a successful attempt at standardizing serial ports?
Yes. USB also made plug and play widespread.

>tfw old enough to remember having to reboot Windows 95 for every new piece of hardware it detected
>tfw full plug and play (generic drivers) did not happen until Windows 2000
Anyone who hasn't gone through the pains of 3+ reboots for a printer/scanner combo in Windows is underage.

>Anyone who hasn't gone through the pains of 3+ reboots for a printer/scanner combo in Windows is underage.
Not really no