Internet of Things

I'm pretty convinced that the internet of things is a meme. I really can't imagine it actually be useful to have this much dumb shit all linked together especially in a household setting. What think, Sup Forums?

>at work
>want to make chicken tendies when i get home
>get on my samsung phone
>get on my samsung heater app
>crank the temperature to a comfy 80 degrees
>get on my samsung oven app
>pre-heat at 350 so it'll be perfect when i get home
>get on my samsung refrigerator app
>tell it to start dethawing my tendies
>get on my samsung tv app
>tell it to have my anime lined up to start right when i walk in the door

the future

>x might have some positive uses
>x also might have some stupid uses

"THIS IS A MEME LOL"

Innovation in electronics is stagnating, they're desperately trying to find a way out but nothing's working. This won't sell just like smartwatches and VR.

Well we could do a step better. Most phones offer routes home if you approach your car at the typical time you leave work. As soon as you approach your car, it should send an execute signal for all of the actions you just said. You wouldn't have to tell it more than once.

But I have a strange apathy toward any programs in a fridge or an oven or so on. Its just not convenient enough to pay the extra for.

The Internet of Things is more than controlling your home from your phone. A better example is that I can check if the bus is early or late, so I know when I should head to the bus stop.

A whole program to save you (maybe) fifteen minutes? That's cutting it close on the cost/benefit ratio.

I have my printer connected to internet.
IOT IS THE FUTURE

Why wouldn't a WAN suffice?

It's an app the bus company here made. Shows you all the time tables and if a bus is early/late and by how much. You need a separate app to buy the ticket, which I think is stupid.

or just run your prepared ./tendies.sh

>useful

its not even secure let alone useful

>80 degrees

are you trying to boil yourself user? you should never ever sweat in the winter

What's a WAN? is it like the internet?

>nonfree crapware that is no longer supported when meme startup collapses or device is 2 years old.
>send voice and other sensor collected data to some "cloud" and is always on.

no thanks.

Alright, here's another example. A Norwegian weather company also has software where it combines data about the weather and ocean to provide boats with the most efficient route from one port to another. The boats, usually transporting cargo across the Atlantic, saves 5% fuel which turns into millions of dollars.

How is a WAN not secure?
How is a toaster's firmware with a direct connection to the internet more secure?

That's more legacy computing of various weather sensor inputs than an internet of things.

toaster firmware that was contracted out to some third party who uses foreign nationals who suck complete shit.

Pretty sure cargo boats already have connection to weather data, it sounds like a common use of the internet.
I thought the whole point of IOT was for things to communicate automatically.

My bad. I meant WLAN.

The sensors are things connected through the Internet.

The CEO of this company had a lecture at my university, and apparently it's not that common. And the way I understood it, it is automated. The optimal route is sent to the ship and it's up to the captain to use it.

Fuck buses. Minutes off your journey every time someone else wants on or off. Limited destinations. Limited arrival and departure times. Mass transit is dated garbage for chinks and poorfags.

A better example is an internet-connected fleet of self driving taxis you can hail from your phone - to the point of choosing your individual taxi instead of just the closest one, because Transco #46-A "2005 AUDI A4" is a little comfier than the camrys they normally deploy and if it's available you're going to hail it ahead of time before someone else gets it.

Or real-time traffic info so you can take your compact car or motorcycle out and hit every green light along the fastest route.

Google has traffic info, but it doesn't tell you about lights. A lot of lights, at least here, only activate when a person wants to get across anyway, so it's random when it'll be green or red.

Oceanographic sensors are usually accessed through a central location that does all of the compiling and transliating. A ship would just access the product made by the central location.

The ship not communicating with every weather buoy and satellite directly makes it NOT an internet of things.

Real time traffic data could locate routes where more people are going one way than the other, resulting in demand-based lights being green more often than not along that route.

Google's traffic info is not as good as it could be if IoT were applied to signals and the vehicles themselves

Top kek is this a meme?
Top kek

Is this a meme?

B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T

Controlling your whole life from your smartphone sounds great to normies until you realise battery life is utter garbage because muh slim form.

Battery tech needs to seriously step up before this becomes a reality, I'm already charging twice a day.

What the fuck do people do on their phones all day that requires two charges. I still have a 5s ffs and I have like 55% at the end of the day.

>The optimal route is sent to the ship and it's up to the captain to use it.
That's what I don't understand, it is just a server and a client nothing new, just like the bus example you need an human to interact with the things.
I though the whole IOT meme was about machine to machine communication, if you are doing communication between an human and a machine the it is just a glorified computer.
Controlling your house with a smarthphone is just domotics.

battery tech is at its peak there is no place to go from here

>an human and a machine

i will cut your balls off and feed them to a hungry pit bull then lock you in its cage faggot

the usefulness to you will be minimal, but it'sn ot for you.

It's for advertisers and other entities to be able to gather an ever-increasing amount of data on you to try to manipulate you with.

#
...Anonymous
12/24/16(Sat)18:29:28 No.58147379
#
Real time traffic data could locate routes where more people are going one way than the other, resulting in demand-based lights being green more often than not along that route.

Google's traffic info is not as good as it could be if IoT were applied to signals and the vehicles themselves
...Anonymous
12/24/16(Sat)18:30:07 No.58147384
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
Top kek is this a meme?
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
(OP) #
#
#
#
#
#
#
Top kek

Is this a meme?
...Anonymous
12/24/16(Sat)18:30:55 No.58147389
B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T
...Anonymous
12/24/16(Sat)18:32:12 No.58147393
Controlling your whole life from your smartphone sounds great to normies until you realise battery life is utter garbage because muh slim form.

Battery tech needs to seriously step up before this becomes a reality, I'm already charging twice a day.
# #
...Anonymous
12/24/16(Sat)18:34:32 No.58147410
#
What the fuck do people do on their phones all day that requires two charges. I still have a 5s ffs and I have like 55% at the end of the day.
...Anonymous
12/24/16(Sat)18:34:38 No.58147412
#
>The optimal route is sent to the ship and it's up to the captain to use it.
That's what I don't understand, it is just a server and a client nothing new, just like the bus example you need an human to interact with the things.
I though the whole IOT meme was about machine to machine communication, if you are doing communication between an human and a machine the it is just a glorified computer.

Topkek is this meme?

fuck
Using your phone as your only mobile interface makes you pretty dependant on it. Then again I have a galaxy 4 so maybe its little 2600mah battery has given up the ghost.

>at work
>want to make koldskål when i get home
>get on my windows phone
>get on my windows phone application
>put kammerjunkere
>get on my windows phone koldskål application
>pour koldskål when i get home
>get on my windows phone refrigerator application
>tell it to start dethawing my pizza
>get on my windows phone application
>tell it to have my school days episodes lined up to start right when i walk in the door
there you go

Why would you thaw (not rethaw) a frozen pizza? It says right on the box to keep frozen until you put it in the oven. Which IoT can't do.