I recently migrated from Win 7 to Linux Mint (Cinnamon)

I recently migrated from Win 7 to Linux Mint (Cinnamon)

At first I really liked it, but then I noticed there's a tearing while watching videos which wasn't at all present in Windows

How do I fix this?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=161403
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Same problem here

Install Solus.

Doesn't have any screen tearing, test it with a love USB if you don't believe me

Are you using Chromium?

If yes use an addon called H64ify. Google fags push VP9 if they can detect chrome. VP9 is yet to have true hardware assisted accelration.

I also suggest that you switch to GNOME 3.22 (ubuntu GNOME 16.10) for flickering free wayland experience

Fuck off

Fuck Solus

Install a compositor or figure out what's not working with the one you allready have. Not too familiar with cinnamon.

Linux uses xorg/X11, a display server that basically communicates between applications and windows.

It's vintage to say the least and is modular so that different desktop environments can use their own compositors for vsync and desktop effects.

Wayland is X11's replacement and literally just works, but not all go drivers support it.

Check Arch Linux's wiki for cinnamon and look for what compositor is used
Under cinnamon. Also see what GPU driver you are using as that can drastically affect things.

For example the proprietary Nvidia driver has some really whacky ways to get vsync going, but open source nouveau is a bit easier to work with.AMDGPU just works.

A distro with Wayland is basically the only thing that's going to be as smooth as modern osx and windows.

Fuck on

Fuck me instead bb

>A distro with Wayland
So... Fedora 25? Excluding DIY-ish distributions, I think that's the only one that comes with it.

manjaro

>distro with wayland
So, Solus then?

Solus has no wayland, also it has malware exploits. Into the trash

Solus is a botnet

Proof?

meant for

Can you prove these points or will you just continue shitposting?

Yes Solus is an NSA botnet. You can try in an USB if you dont believe me

if you're using firefox make sure in about:config
gfx.xrender.enabled set to "true"

Solus has no wayland

OP here

Ergh, I installed Mint, because I read it's supposed to be the easiest distro, precisely for beginners. I don't mean to sound ungrateful - but what you wrote is kinda the opposite of that. I guess I can try, but when is this Wayland thing coming out?

>gaymen distro with NSA backdoors
How about no

It's already out. Arch and Fedora 25 based distros already ship Wayland by default

You're not proving anything.

That's the point of distro hopping.
Give solus a try, I use it and it's super easy. Ignore the idiots itt, they hate it when something new comes along that's actually good.

If you try it on a live usb you can try out abt distros you want without installation

>The solution to a problem in the OS is to download another completelly diferent OS
Nice! Linux has a bright future!

You haven't proved that it has wayland support.

Also solus is actually an intel botnet

You don't have to, he's been shilling the intel botnet for the last couple of months

you prove it's a botnet.
You made your claim, now back it with some factual evidence.

Solus does not have wayland

You made a claim first here Prove it first

This

Remember Intel has CPU botnet that has been defeated. Now they are pushing their distro botnet

what graphics card do you have op? what driver? if you tell me i might be able to help

Test the proprietary drivers, update your system, check the cables and the resolution.

What kind of video card do you have

See and

Can someone explain the tearing? I don't get it.... In what scenario would it show?

Stream Full HD HTML5 video from youtube.

Did you install drivers?

>How do I fix this?
You don't, it's one of the many compromises you make for freedom.

How?

Why didn't you install ZorinOS instead? I'm not bashing on mint, but ZorinOS seems like a more winfag friendly distro and from my experience it has no screen tearing. Also comes with PlayOnLinux installed so you can use some Windows software.
Although, it might have something to do with Nvidia drivers if you use their GPU. From what I've seen posted here only they are affected by those, try updating them or switching to proprietary ones. You can also use MPV instead, seems to remove all video problems VLC has.

Trading working software for inferior broken open source "free as in freedumb" alternatives.

Funny how "working software" that you are referring to works fine here if you troubleshoot the current chromium bug while dumb Sup Forums toddlers such as yourself tends to think otherwise.

The video plays normally, what is "tearing" you're all memeing about?
>inferior
Most open source software dominates it's closed source counterparts. Look at browsers, game engines, server software, media players, operating systems, etc.

A geforce 9800GT one. It's ancient.

I did all of that

Probably you are using firefox

Are you running the nvidia proprietary drivers?

Chromium is open source, but Firefox is still more powerful. There are 0 relevant closed source browsers.

Check out this thread:
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=161403

Do I have to turn on wayland on ubuntu GNOME 16.10? How?

There's a tweak tool. MateTweak or something like that. Choose the bottom page or tab or whatever you call them and set Composition to something other than default. Compiz recommended.

You don't even have to, it's on by default

True

The experimental wayland session is included. If your computer supports open source graphics drivers and you would like to try Wayland, log out, choose GNOME on Wayland from the gear menu below the password entry, and log back in

Isn't it on GNOME 3.22 yet?

Linux Mint is just Ubuntu but differentâ„¢

I remember thinking the same thing. Really, all of Linux is the same across distros, some distros just tweak a few things.

Real differences come about when the entire community moves over to a new standard like Wayland.

If you want stupid easy, I'd use ormal Ubuntu or Xubuntu(Ubuntu with the xfce desktop environment, though the you need to set up a compositor all the same it was the first semi complex thing I learned to do when getting into Linux)

Linux is rewarding to learn in its entirety

It's not on by default from what it says.

It seems Ubuntufags decided to keep the shell to 3.20 while upgrading bits and pieces to 3.22. Idk why.

However I am 100% sure korora (non freetard batteries included Fedora) or Manjaro is on stable upstream wayland

Yeah. Im going to try Fedora 25 then.

I'd go with Korora but it's your PC - your choice

What's so great about Korora over Fedora?

Fedora doesn't have non free drivers and codec packages you gotta install them yourself. Korora is like ubuntu of debian, but it's a bit bloated

i had this same problem. I tried everything to fix it, but it never went away.

This is Sup Forums dude... evidence is frowned upon here.

Well I did prove that wayland doesn't exist in Solus here (notjice how kevin doesn't reply from then on and quickly fucks off of the tread)

Do you know of any distro that does this? Increases the size of everything?

We're going to have to find a name for these Solus shill fags

Aren't you going to try GNOME?

You will hear a lot of bullshit suggestions and complication xorg/composite config ideas.

Simple solution, install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with Unity/Compiz. It takes care of everything. Just install mpv media player and you can watch videos without any issues. Same goes for Youtube videos in Firefox/Chrome.

No screen tearing guaranteed.

To be honest Unity has screen flickering, Ubuntu GNOME's wayland session fixes this

Nice try Kevin!

Yes gnome fedora. I'll try out the live CD and find that setting.

It's under the GNOME tweak tool

Must be a GPU problem. I have Intel iGPU and never had any issues with Unity.

Are you sure that you are using video drivers?

If you really think that anything has problems in general just because you had problems with it, you should think about suicide.

Windows increases the scaling everywhere including browser.

This is starting to sound like a sad example of why Linux is less popular.

Does the video playing application matter? Is this in a web browser? Does OP need to abandon mint entirely? Does hardware matter? Can it be solved with a single command line?