Is the Surface Pro 3 any good?

Is the Surface Pro 3 any good?

What should I go ahead and buy if I wanna use it for school and some programming or web design if I get bored?

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-surface-pro-4-12-3-128gb-intel-core-i5-silver/4523600.p?skuId=4523600
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's a good laptop, if not a little fragile. I've been waiting for the 5 to come out before I buy another one, though

New ones are over a grand, especially if the 5 comes out.

However the 3 is available for around ~$600 on some sides so that's why I was asking.

Doesn't the Surface Pro 3 have issues with heat and CPU throttling?

No, I own it. Don't buy it. Get a laptop with a bigger screen and a better keyboard.

First of all I had to turn off the search function that searches for pdf files specifically because it was causing the cpu to be at 100% all the time.

and i don't care to go into more details just don't buy it.

Can you go into some more details?

12-13" is perfect for me, so the screen isn't an issue, especially with its resolution.

What else is there?

Sorry to say it, but the Surface 3 has some pretty harsh usage issues.
The Surface 4 is much better in terms of performance. Enough that you will notice it.

Get the 4 or dont get one at all.

Does the 4's performance validate its price though?

I don't know. I'll actually sell you my used one (which i'm using now) for 350$ with the first type cover if you want to try it out without going into it for a bunch of money.

imagine actually buying one of these things lmao

What's wrong with that?

lmao

XD lmao u got me

Surface pro 3 has issue would only recommend pro 4. SOme really greta ultra books out there too.

I have the original Surface Pro and it is fantastic. My only complaint would be the short battery life, which isn't an issue on the newer devices.

I'd say go for it.

Or wait for SP5, so you can catch the 4 for cheap.

When's the 5 coming out?

Truly awful device, I have one as well. Shitty keyboard, shitty trackpad, shitty display scaling on windows and unusable without scaling, bad gnu/linux support, fan whirrs like crazy under the most pedestrian loads like watching 1080p video, thermal throttles under intense load.

And I forgot to mention, the hinge is really uncomfortable for laptop use. The only saving grace is that it is useful as a drawing tablet with the included pen.

There's more to this story if the fan is noticeable just when watching video. I have the SP2 so not even as powerful as the SP3 and it doesn't do that unless I game.

Also, the keyboard and trackpad seem like something you would research going in. I'm fine with it because I only actually need to use that keyboard and trackpad while traveling or occasionally working from a coffee shop. Even then most of the time I still at least have a bluetooth mouse. Why did you purchase it?

Are you sure you're talking about the SP3 here? The hinge has improved with each model. I'm fine with it on my SP2 but I definitely see how it could be improved further which is what they did.

The touch keyboard sucks dick.

The type one is actually pretty damn good. Same with the power.

Not one of them has a good touchpad, but that doesnt matter too much since it is a touchscreen. I just use that surface mouse the folds flat with mine.

I really don't know why anyone would get the touch keyboard and I don't know of anyone who has.

When it launched, wasnt that all that was available?

Are you referring to the SP1? Who cares? That was years ago and the line changed a lot from 1-3.

I got a SP4.

The SP4 typecover is very nice to type on, to be honest better than the majority of consumer laptops out there and I'm surprised at how well I can use it on my lap, in the bed, etc.

That being said unless you really need portability, tablet more than a laptop, or you're an artist with the pen then it's not really worth it

How would you compare it to, say, a 2015 rMBP?

I have a Mid 2014 15" rMBP at work but they're really completely different products, even the 13 inch. Unless you think you really need the pen, portability, screen (which is great), or tablet capabilities then you're probably better off with a traditional laptop or 2 in 1 yoga style convertible because you're likely sacrificing power and battery life to go SP4.

That being said, build quality is really nice, I'd rather type on the SP4 keyboard than my MBP keyboard (which is garbage pretty much), and the screen is nicer on the SP4 (3:2 aspect ratio is great for photos)

What are the biggest reasons to get the Surface Pro or Surface Book over the other?
Right now it seems mostly the ability to get a dedicated GPU.

Surface Pro is a tablet with a keyboard case. Weighs less and more portable.

Surfacebook is a laptop that can be used a bit
as a tablet. Bigger screen and higher res.

anyone install loonix on one of these?

SP3 is too buggy to buy one now. It'll be great for a month, then you'll regret not getting a newer version or something else

See I'd go for a Pro 4, but lack of a Windows button kills it for me. I hope Pro 5 will have it.

>flagship device
>missing THE signature windows key
welp

I read that the SP4 has worse battery life than the SP3, can anybody confirm

If everyone hates the SP3 so much, what do people think of the SP2 with the type cover? Was the transition from 2-3 a decline or were prior models shit as well?

Make sure the firmware is updated. Otherwise they're fine.

Spotted the SP3 owners that never bothered updating...

Had it almost 2 years now. One of the best portable purchases I've made desu, even though I have the i3 version. If you can get it fairly cheap then I say go for it, but get a Pro 4 keyboard because it's substantially improved.

I've had mine for a year soon.

Overall I'm happy with it, but it does have its flaws. The fan can start just by browsing, it doesn't sleep right so you have to put it in hibernation every time you leave it, the surface pro 3 keyboard is absolute shit.
Windows also just isn't a good tablet OS. Don't expect to use it like an iPad.

I use it for studying, and most of my gripes with it are problems with OneNote.

Grab the surface pro 4 instead. The i5 version is 300 bucks off and if you lie and say you're a student to best buy you can get an additional 100 bucks off so 400 off total.

do they really get cheap in murica? Here even 3s are still expensive. And 2s are that rare that you hardly see one which makes them expensive. And 1s aren't that fleshed out IMO

You're actually retarded

What if I am a student?

march

What if I'm really impatient

I like the screen on the surface better

There's been like 3 people talking about the display scaling being shit, is the screen actually any decent?

i have both and i went back to using my 3 because the 4 gets very hot and they perform the same. the 4 runs the fan even when idling just running win10.

that said its a tablet not a gaymur rig so if you play games dont use tablets.

i prefer the keyboard and pen of the 3 as well.

t. i can afford anything and i have one of everything currently shitposting from my surface pro 3

>i prefer the keyboard and pen of the 3 as well.
Literally no one agrees with this

march

Well, user, that's why preferences are subjective.

best buy has the surface pro 4 for sale by the way.

bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-surface-pro-4-12-3-128gb-intel-core-i5-silver/4523600.p?skuId=4523600

That's so far away though.

>4gb RAM

that's all you need though

It's 2016. A single tab of a modern "web 2.0" shit website on Chrome can eat through 4gb.

The Surface Pro 3 is fine. Newegg is selling refurbished ones for $399, $379 with the mail-in-rebate.

Sup Forums has become flooded with Sup Forumsermin. 4 GBs of RAM is enough.

Anything less than 8gb is useless.

Then buy the 8 gb version retard.

[citation needed]

But it's so much more

>tfw no 32 GB Surface Pro 5

>education
So did you get it free or what

Free education edition from Dreamspark and free 3k USD laptop from work.

This and I've seen them as low as $350 for the i5 4GB version.

I've got the SP4 with an m3 processor and works for everything I've thrown at it, can even do Lightroom fairly snappy.

8GB is obviously better, but 4GB is manageable.

Modern programs and OSes are designed to grab as much ram as they want.

Like I just had 4 tabs open and Chrome grabbed like 2GB, it's still using just around 2GB when I opened 3 more heavy websites. (Verge, CNN, Facebook with autoplay videos, etc) there's is a split second delay switching back on tabs but that could be the m3 processor, not really noticeable unless I'm comparing to my gaming desktop side by side right now. I'm also downloading Civ VI on Steam so that could have an impact too.

But obviously it does mean if I was spending an hour editing photos in Lightroom I'd probably want to close out Chrome and not run these tabs in the background.

How does it compare to a Wacom as a drawing tablet?