So I want a laptop for college. Price range is 800-1400 dollars, what's the best option?

So I want a laptop for college. Price range is 800-1400 dollars, what's the best option?

XPS 13

Chromebook.

Macbook Retina 2015

Macbook

No apple products I'm not a child anymore

don't be ridiculous

Just buy HP or Dell or some other meme computer then.

Retina 2015 is the way to go

then buy two dells, so that you have a backup when the first breaks

>No Macs please I need my video games
>But I'm not a babby

you little shit, take a Surface Book then

The leaders of the free world use Apple products. Who the fuck are you again?

I don't like using Microsoft hardware or software.

Take a fucking macbook pro Retina 2015, case closed you little fuck

>$1400
>To run fucking Linux

Get a Dell Latitude E7470 then, and stick Linux on it.

XPS 13 or 15
Good luck op

Stop derailing my thread you fuck

Ye, I also love how Sup Forums argues over best cpus/gpus when they ruin those by running linux on them.

Not an argument.

Don't start a shitty thread, faget.

The OP did not write this.

Used MBP. Literally your best option.

>b-but muh gaymes
Build your own rig. Otherwise Bootcamp with Windows 10 if you're poor.

>implying Windows

At least you can utilize top-end hardware with windows

>2017

>t. mactoddler

that's retarded, buying an Apple PC for college is suicide unless you're majoring in something where all your work is done in a VM, but even then what's the point? Watching all these people in my major need to use bootcamp or another computer entirely makes me kek every time.

Get a good thinkpad, Dell XPS, or I hear HP's business class line is pretty good. You want something with good battery life, good power, and built tough and can handle what you throw at it. Aim for hardware compatibility unless you're a liberal fart major.

>I am not doing anything computationally intensive
T420 + SSD + Ram

>I would like to do MODERATELY computationally intensive work that aren't video games
W520 + SSD + Ram

>I want to play modern vidya
Build a desktop. You probably don't actually need a laptop for college unless you're commuting.

I just want to play csgo and skyrim on twitch to pay for college, but I need to be able to take it to class....... so yeah, shut the fuck up

Surface Book

Raspberry pi with a screen and keyboard mounted in a box.

Preferably a used pizza box.

le ebin maymay redditor XD

this desu senpai

A used thinkpad you dumb fuck. No need to spend a lot of money on a laptop. Whatever thinkpad you can get secondhand for $200 will be more than enough. Just get a i7 and add more RAM if you need to do heavy data science. It is not like you will be using it for gaming (if you consider doing that then just avoid college to save money until you grow up)

Are you kidding? Lots of calculations are better done on a GPU. You waste good hardware on toys for children

If you play computer games more than 20 hours a week, then I suggest you build a desktop.

macbook is great for STEM.

>t. mactoddler

>tfw I do all three with a t420
Docking station + upgraded QM processor + eGPU makes it great as an all-rounder device.

>but we do PRODUCTIVE work with our gamer shit
Please, tell us all about it, because I don't think I've ever seen more than a few people on Sup Forums doing any seriously practical GPGPU (or otherwise) work on their shit at home, let alone the majority of the faggots here who rarely post about doing anything other than playing games or consuming streaming media.

So what projects are you working on now?

OP here, don't mind these shits trying to derail the thread. I don't want the laptop to play games because I have a decent home rig already. I'll use it for my first IT job and will be mainly writing on it as well as light computation. Needs to be light because I'm traveling to costumers a lot.

VAIO Z.

XPS 13 or Macbook Pro 13" it is then.