The smart tv sticks

What is the point of these.The apple tv,android tv,amazon fire.They seem pointless because most new already come with smart tv build in.

most people don't buy a new tv for the lulz

All the experience I've had with smart TV's have left a bad taste in my mouth. My first gen chromecast is still fast and still works great and for $35 it's amazing

all i can speak on is chromecast, but even with a smart tv, it allows you to project your phone or computer to the tv which is as useful as you can find applications for

I'll give you several reasons:

1. Makes a regular TV smart
2. Is in most cases better than what smart TVs have to offer, is better interface, apps, and 4k apps (with the exception of TVs that have Roku or Android TV built in).
3. Offers exclusives apps that don't exist elsewhere (ex I use my fire stick exclusively for its sling player app).
4. Can be extremely customizable in case of the fire TVs and Android TV boxes.

I'll second this. SmartTVs are a meme. They rarely get updates for very long and they're always slower than external alternatives.

Built-in media players are the modern version of the built-in GPS units they used to put in cars.

>this
my sony tv is a smart tv but i dont even use the smart features on it, i use an xbox instead because its faster

i put a roku on a 10 year old POS tv thats in my garage.
works pretty well. i use it for plex/hulu

Smart TVs are fucking shit

It pisses me off that its so hard to find a "dumb" tv these days

They all come with 3D and dumb apps that get no updates

Older smart TV's are starting to feel very sluggish.

What a perfect time to (((upgrade))).

I know you can jailbreak the amazon fire and watch p2p pirate movies from China on it. If you're too stupid or poor to use a computer it's the next best thing.

all 4K TVs are smart TVs, and most 1080p ones are too. But as they age, you upgrade the streaming hardware with these. the first generation of Smart TVs are aging out their streaming hardware, so it's either this or a new TV.

I have a Panasonic plasma with limited built in apps (Amazon, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu). Once I got a Chromecast, I stopped using any of the apps.

I also got a Fire Stick for my TV. I also take the fire stick with me on the road and use it at hotels.

Kodi on Amazon FireStick is pretty legit.

Smart TVs are generally shit at the smart part is one reason. The other reason is that this cheap fucking device is a hell of a lot more reasonable of a purchase than a new TV.

They run Plex

They do it better than a smart TV

are there any $25 chromecasts left? Google's own prices are lying to me
Please is for my dying parents

what do these things do?

Turns your tv into a low power wifi connected netflix machine, among other apps and programs. Some have remotes or can be controlled with phone

If you can prove your parents are dying, I'll personally buy you one gift wrapped.

You can't though because it's a fucking lie.

BOTNET

Yeah sorry, it's only my mom and she actually already died of heart attack and came back
I would've bought a chromecast for Christmas earlier if I wasn't busy but you know, hospital

Tell her to stop eating donuts. I bet she's overweight.

If she's a smoker, that's cool though.

Results said that her decades of smoking and overweight is harmless from what can be seen

So I figure having her sit on her ass and watch Hulu is a good enough present

5. You can replace the "smart" part when it becomes obsolete/unsupported in a couple years without replacing the "TV" part

What's the best kodi box available in the UK for streaming 1080p? Under ~£100

The only "Smart TV" things my TV can do is watch youtube and a broken opera browser.

Fucking un-upgradable smart tvs, I prefer a box or a stick I can just throw out and get a better one a few years down the line.

Why don't you just change your TV for a better one?

smart tvs are shit

buy a fire stick/chromecast/chinese tv boxes

don't buy roku because you are limited to what they come with

I don't really feel the need to upgrade my TV at this point in time.

It's a 40" 1080P 10Bit Sharp G10 UV2A panel.
4K, HDR and OLEDs are not worth it until a couple more years at least.

SmartTVs are a huge meme.

Manufacturers build it in because it adds very little to the cost but it sells.

The built in GPS was semi useful. smart tv stuff built in is a fucking bad joke, that runs like shit, and spazzes out and doesnt stream anywhere as fast or well as a dedicated device like a stick or box. you arent going to install kodi on your built in smarttv.

I turned my fire stick into a kodi machine so they're useful for that at least

Smart TV is shit
>not maintained
>slow-ass hardware
>Proprietary software or nearly as much (Tizen, WebOS)
>no security updates
Planned obsolescence. In 3 none of the apps will work and enjoy your botnet node

Some of us are still stuck with our 10 year old Sony 1080p dumb TVs because 55" Sonys don't fail every 3 years.

I actually wish this thing would fail sometimes so I'd have an excuse to upgrayyd.

>Amazon Fire TV stick
>Sideload Kodi
>Working streamer right there
Dumb cunt

Considering its easy to get malware or spyware on smart tvs you would be wise to block all connections to the TV unless there is a firmware upgrade you need.

I have a Kodi box (MXIII I think) and it works great for what I use it for. Got it for like $80 and have it connected to my NAS. Lags a little bit from time to time but it's what you'd expect from an $80 Android box.

Because you won't be finding built in smart TV features in a classic Trinitron anytime soon.

>Considering its easy to get malware or spyware on smart tvs
how does this happen exactly? what would a person have done on their tv to get this?

if it is connected to the internet with trash security (i.e. every single IoT thing out there), it can get fucked over by malware.

Is this bait?...only reason anyone buys a firestick or equivalent is to put kodi on them,who watches them legit!! Kek

but wouldn't you need to go to a dodgy site using the browser? or could it still get you if you're just watching netflix etc?

He means that a smart TV can have shit like admin access from the outside with default password, because no one gives a shit about security.