Sup Forums Why do you hate Ubuntu so much? As of now, i am using Ubuntu with i3wm and really i am rather happy with it...

Sup Forums Why do you hate Ubuntu so much? As of now, i am using Ubuntu with i3wm and really i am rather happy with it. I can do everything i need, i hate Unity, so i can see you there.

Other than the Unity thing, what is wrong with it? I really enjoy it, and think that it's one of my favorite distros (I have tried at least 6 others)

The only one that comes close imo is Arch.

So, why the hate for Ubuntu?

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/760934/graphics-issues-after-while-installing-ubuntu-16-04-16-10-with-nvidia-graphics
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because this board is autistic as shit and everyone wants to look like some elite haxxor faggot. Usually it's:
>muh bloat
>muh elite CLI bullshit
>muh babbytier distro
>muh amazon shit

which are all stupid arguments because they either make no sense or can be easily fixed.

I just stick to openSUSE though. I like their KDE setup where everything comes together.

i don't think most people hate ubuntu, it's just vocal minority who are like scene kids who use their OS to express themselves

my opinion is that ubuntu is the obvious choice for smartest distro to run because over half the people using linux use ubuntu. if you're like me you don't wanna be left high and dry if you encounter some weird problem, won't happen if you use ubuntu bc the community is so large shit gets fixed

Ubuntu is the simplest, and one of the more stable Linux distros. Unity is a bit of a resource hog, but that's the only criticism I can really throw at it. I generally recommend it for anyone starting out on Linux who has a reasonable computer spec.

Unity was my first DE, and coming from OSX it was pretty comfy.
But I felt that it was heavy on resources with the device that I had at the time(Macbook 2009).
So I switched to Xubuntu, but had to struggle with tearing. I also tried Mate, which also had tearing issues. I tried KDE, and this was the most unstable POS I had ever used.
In the end I've learnt that Unity was the thing that just works like Windows or OSX.
I solved the performance issue on Unity simply by getting a new laptop.

obango is laf, obango is life.

PS: is this a desktop thread?

because it's for plebs

You mean for people who like to get work done?

just use debian you nigger newbie

So you think Google engineers are plebs?
You know that Google uses a slightly modified version of Ubuntu right?

is it possible to install ubuntu straight with i3wm? and no DE?

I hate it because it's African.

>Expecting a Nigger to work.... lol

>i3wm? and no DE
You can install Ubuntu Server and start from there.

>Google sucks
>Google employee's suck
Fuck Google

I don't hate it, but I've had problems with it that other distros I've tried didn't have whatsoever.

>Love KDE
>KDE Neon is mostly alright but DE breaks even after taking every measure I can to stop it
>Kubuntu is a pile of garbage
>Every *buntu I've tried has issues with wi-fi dropping for no reason

>try openSUSE
>wi-fi never drops
>KDE is perfectly stable
>logo is cooler

Xubuntu on the workstation for, you know... work.

Arch / xmonad on the memebook for rice & epeen.

It >just werks for me like this and its not about to change on account of tweens calling me a pleb online.

>muh amazon shit

Doesn't this apply exclusively to jewnity and not ubuntu as a whole, or am I missing something?

I like kde as well, everything just fits together very nicely.

/thread

It's British.

>So, why the hate for Ubuntu?
bc it's botnet stupid faggot

Ubuntu is fine, all Linux is great. Run whatever distro you want and contribute to Open Source.

Sup Forums hates it because it actually works without adjustment, and because the less savvy users can use it without issue

they hate that

the only real issues ubuntu has is unity's bloat in comparison to other DEs, and canonical's amazon bullshit

>contribute to Open Source.
>top kek most ppl using Linux dun know jack shit about coding how can they contribute that way?

Because Sup Forums wants to say they use Linux but they don't want to use babby's first Linux distro.

If you aren't using Ubuntu and its regularly updated derivatives, Fedora or Debian then you're just a tryhard 1337 that doesn't do anything but play around with their PC all day ricing shit. Prove me wrong. Protip: you can't.

>wincuck asking how to get into linux
>5 retards reply to him and end up fighting each other over wich distro is best

>elite CLI bullshit
But anyone who's used Linux for any period of time knows terminal programs are superior and easier. You begin to adopt them day by day, replacing cumbersome, bloated, and unproductive GUI. Even frontends to CLI are less productive and generally lack the robust options a terminal can give you.
I use Ubuntu, fyi

>Sup Forums Why do you hate Ubuntu so much?
I don't take debian and debian-based distros seriously in general

>apt is an absolutely fucking joke of a package manager
>debian packaging is insane (they can't into version numbers, ABI stability etc.)
>their init system is highly schizophrenic and as a result often fails (it's not uncommmon for packages to ship systemd unit files, sysvinit RC scripts *and* upstart init files, and then they use hacky runtime bridges to integrate the three together)
>many packages missing or horrifically out of date, you're basically lucky if there's a PPA most of the time
>used as a testing ground for canonical's wacky and universally shitty inventions (unity, mir, upstart, lxd, snapd)
>amazon search integration :^^^^^^)

It's seriously one of the most difficult, limited and unstable distros to use. I'd literally rather run archlinux with daily auto-update and unaudited AUR PKGBUILDs than that piece of garbage.

Simple answer, learn. If you don't want to you don't have to. By using Linux over any other operating system you are contributing and helping. It may be small but another person not running windows or macos is a step in the right direction.

>Simple answer, learn.
Plz tell the best way - efficient, easy and fast way to learn how to code and with which language

Easiest, go to school and have someone else teach you. Otherwise teach yourself. An Open Source Program can be in any language you want really. Python, Java, C, any of them can be useful in some way. Google is your friend. Look into what open source is and how to contribute, chances are the distro you are running has a contribute section or something like it on their forum.

Sup Forums hates anything which casualizes computing.

update your memes

Sup Forums doesn't hate ubuntu. It is widely held as both babby's first distro, and the one you finally come back to once you get distro hopping out of your system.

I don't agree with canonical's business practices of supporting non free software

you know someone's a hipster when they bring up unity or amazon as the excuse and are just looking for any psuedo-reason instead of having to just say "it's too mainstream"

you'll see this type of person spend hours trying to "convert" windows users but then as soon as ubuntu comes up, "unity ruins the whole thing" and when you mention sub versions like lubuntu or xubuntu you just get silence. the EXACT same advice they'd tell windows people, "oh you can install any DE you want!" all of a sudden doesn't work on ubuntu now

Even just one person using ubuntu is more than any hipster has ever done when they try to "teach" people the "right" way by installing some obscure piece of shit, failling, and then they rage and think every distro is like this. linux hipsters don't really give a shit about linux or software they are just here because they think it makes them different and special. ubuntu has done more for linux adoption than the mountain of anti-work by hipsters jacking off online

Many folks at Amazon also use Ubuntu desktops.

they did the gay "force mobile paradigms on desktop environments that don't even have touch" shit before microsoft even thought of it, and they have yet to fix it despite the fact EVEN MICROSOFT realized it had gone too far and rolled it back

this guy doesn't even know what he is talking about.

Wrong

because i get horrible screen tearing with a high end nvidia card. linux is shit.

>inb4 you didnt configure it right
I've spent a long time trying to fix it and tried a lot of different settings. It all boils down to linux being a shit.

I think some gui applications are better options than using cli and more efficient. For example red hats virt-manager and system-config-firewall.

shit meme

using the lts on my thinkpad.

think it's bretty good.

Partitioning in cli is a pain

this guy doesn't even know what he is talking about.

that guy doesn't even know what he is talking about.

These guys don't even know what they're talking about.

It really isn't at all, but maybe that is just because I've done it so many times at work.

Opensuse just kind of ACTUALLY works and I think that annoys a lot of Linux users. They want some shit they need to rice or something they can shit on.

>fdisk /dev/sdX
>n
>enter
>enter
>enter
>+50G
>enter
>repeat
>w
etc.

is it really that hard to remember ā€˜nā€™ for new partition and follow the on-screen prompts?

kde a shit

>So you think Google engineers are plebs?
They use python too, so yes,

Nothing is wrong with Ubuntu. I just hate Unity. Ubuntu MATE 4 lif. I'm ok with
people using Ubuntu as their first step into using Linux as their main desktop
OS. All the shills can bitch about Buntu as much as they like, but its important
to keep it simple so that more people aren't scared to try it. In time, more companies
will offer Linux versions. Adobe, more steam games. Let them use the simple
distro and as they learn, they'll expand to more advanced ones.

>using the smiley with a carat nose

I like Unity a lot, it just happens to be a buggy piece of shit.

Yes. The whole amazon botnet meme is about a small function on the unity menu that lets you search amazon, which can be easily turned off.
I don't like unity because of how the panel buttons stacking works and the lack of customization options. Apart from that, its fine.

>these things can be manually fixed after installing the distro, instead of just installing a better distro to begin with.

Opensuse is really boring. I have been using it for like 2 years and it never broke, now I am using Debian sid it doesn't break often either.

You don't even have to turn off that amazon thing starting from 16.04.

I love Ubuntu for the same reason Sup Forums hates it: it just werks.

>contributing by using a broken OS
>force people to contribute to OpSource
Literal botnet

openSUSE is actually quite fantastic, all of our servers and work machines were based on Gentoo for 4 years at work but we switched to openSUSE 2 years ago and it's been nothing but a pleasant experience, and it has a solid, mature community.

Because Ubuntu does its own shit and doesn't do anything for upstream.

This. Ubuntu is for people who want to get something done without being forced to fiddle with their OS constantly.

Because package management is a fucking joke

Because most people don't need it.

The vast majority of even people on Sup Forums don't need it. So many more people would happier over the long span just keeping up with an upgradeable windows key and spending ten minutes disabling bullshit. Ubuntu is great but it only has micro advantages for the average user, energy spent on it is better spent just... gaming and programming their own shit. Privacy doesn't even really matter for most people in the long run, you have to pirate a fuck ton of stuff to really worry about being singled out and tracked.

Linux Mint (based on ubuntu, which is based on debian). lol

Most people here neither have the money to afford a built that supports unity nor the knowledge to customize Ubuntu. This is why they hate it.

Xfce or just a window manager by itself if you would like to make use of your old hardware.

I just upgraded my ubuntu desktop 16.04 and I cant log in. it's in loop : (

login with terminal and purge proprietary graphic card drivers

askubuntu.com/questions/760934/graphics-issues-after-while-installing-ubuntu-16-04-16-10-with-nvidia-graphics

I tried an hour ago with no success but I'll try again now. will say if success/no success

Subhumans who use niggerbuntu aren't known for their intelligence.

I followed the solution from that link and it worked like a charm : ) tyvm. I love ubuntu again.

cfdisk is even easier. its almost like a gui