Does Mhz affect anything when it comes to RAM if it's for a gaming PC? I want to get DDR4 but it's so fucking expensive

Does Mhz affect anything when it comes to RAM if it's for a gaming PC? I want to get DDR4 but it's so fucking expensive.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CML16GX3M2A1600C9-Vengeance-Profile-Performance/dp/B009YOJZ5E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sure go... guy

you don't want shit megahurtz memory, your games will run like crap

what I fear is spending 300€ on 2x16gb and 2years later when I want to go full 64gb I buy the same ram and it doesn't work because it's not the same batch

it just happened to me with my old ddr2 computer

Yes it does. Faster RAM is always better up until like 3GHz then it's largely irrelevant.

Buy 2x8gb and go fuck yourself

Even 4gb is still enough for a gaming desktop, 8gb is comfy

Yes, RAM speed matters because the latency has increased (you won't see anything below 11) and it makes a huge difference in moving, launching large files.

The higher the better. Implying you're running a Skylake chip, otherwise just build a 4690K and get some Kingston 2400mhz

frugal fag how's that rice and egg regimen treating you, cost cutting makes sense to an extent but RAM prices in general have decreased (DDR3), DDR4 is still high because of the novelty premium and gaymur market

You'll say that recent haswells are more fit for that specific cost-effective usage

>32GB RAM
maybe go read up somewhere and do some research on how much ram you actually need to play vidya, holy shit user

Is DDR4 likely to go down in price soon? I mean a hundred dollars for two sticks of 8gb is just...

It's not $67 which is what I paid for my 16Gb 3000mhz ddr4

W-where?

Newegg
>tfw the $6 sale I got apparently shook the entire ddr4 market

This isn't 2012

>tfw 64gb ecc
>tfw ramlets dont know this feel
>tfw 16 sticks of ram and dual 8 core xeons
>tfw quadro m4000 gpu and 2500 dollar soundcard

... Plebs

>implying unspecified "xeon" doesn't mean the most pathetically clocked 8 core IPC deficient cinebench processor
>implying ECC ram is useful to you
>implying an internal sound card of any kind is worth paying money for
>TWO THOUSAND AND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS for a fucking pcie soundcard

The Team Vulcan one? Is this RAM any good?

I got them g skillz

>that single threaded performance
>usage is for gaymen
>preening at gaymen with a server grade workhorse
>autocad gpu not suited for gaymen
>soundcard not suited for gaymen

stay in your cubicle crunching numbers

The cheapest g.skills are eighty five bucks, not sixty seven.

just buy the ddr4 at a hundred bucks ffs it's not our problem if you don't have the cash, these sticks of ram were nearly 50% higher a year and half when skylake came out and every one was bummed without a choice

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

3200mhz is already cutting edge, you can buy lower speeds just because some guy said it's not worth buying below 3GHZ puts you in a dilemma, just spend that hundred bucks or get 2666mhz besides, you won't be changing RAM often and you'll regret not getting 3200mhz so figure it out, you want us to chip in for you apparently

>tfw 800mhz dual channel
Is that even 1600 in actual performance?

I really did just want to know if it was likely to go down in price in the next couple of months.

bls resbond, I'm on an amazon prime trial that's nearly over so I can get them for fourteen dollars less right now, but I also don't need them for at least two months. Can I get them for cheaper just by waiting?

>tfw 8gb ddr4 rams
>tfw i5 kaby lake

who /comfy/ here lads??

Don't cheap out but most of the time there's very limited difference

Get generic 2133 CL16 sticks, overclock them to 2666. EZPZ.

Not my g skillz with a $6 sale

Despite being the standard of high-demand gaymen, I've actually never seen anybody play crysis in my whole life
Hell, I don't even know what quake is

>an overclocked Titan X can't maintain 55 fucking FPS on GTA5

You're asking me to predict whether sticks of DDR4 are going to go down in price? Do you want me to place a futures position on memory companies for you and anticipate their marginalized profit, in otherwords anticipate market and pricing changes?

That's tough and I'm not your employee man. For a 106 bucks, get the corsairs

Although I'd rather choose Crucial or Kingston for that matter (ballistix or predator, whatever), or even Mushkin Redline. They're better than corsair which is mainstream "good" standard.

Thanks user. I think I will hold off since this doesn't seem to be a particularly good deal anyway and check again in a couple of months.

>i3's are great for gaming!

of course it does, sauce pcper

as usual ppl talking based on benchmarks and not real experience, try owning a non meme 4k screen (capable of 120hz if possible) and run an OC'ed Titan X, you'd stop rationalizing about waitfagging and saying this is not what I expected because the flagships retain value but now that changed because Paxwell has missing cores and the full chip is only on quadro to avoid cannibalizing their pro sector (just like titan x was the same as the previous quadro) and also the reason why they disabled SLI to a certain level, only selling in house

titan x is worth every cent, every flagship but this generation is meant for AI and it's just a shrinked version of maxwell / so next architecture, then optimization its gonna take a while but by then its 8k 60hz if only more ppl start buying 4k screens instead of relying on devs to fill their unoptimized gaymen with usless stuff (implying games are still worth playin for million dollar esports prizes and the UNretarded lulz)

np, make the wise choice for the long run so aim always one step higher for proof. hf

What's wrong with corsair, by the way? I can't find Crucial Ballistix on the US version of amazon and Kingstons are more than half again the price.

Couldn't understand a word.

>everyone telling OP that faster is better
>won't explain why

I'm willing to bet none of you understand what RAMs clockspeed affects.

Millenial speak jargon, excuse me if I may have sounded vulgar.

I actually read French literature, not ironic.

When in Rome...

It's a hell of a lot better than low latency for every measurable benchmark
Or are you one of those fags who believes that hardware being "technically" better in one aspect means that some decades-old tech is better than anything else?

Shut the fuck up kid.

I wasn't trying to be rude, I sense that there is important information in your post but you use so much inside-baseball jargon that it is impenetrable to someone uninitiated like me. But you seem knowledgeable: I was intending to get an 1080 ti, but I heard NVIDIA purposefully fucks over their old cards after a while. Is this something I need to be concerned about? This is for gaymen.

Corsair just source their memory but don't actually produce them and their cherry picked modules are usually upsold under their Dominator segment with flashy lights.

They have great reputation for being some type of gold standard, but the serious manufacturers are the lesser known ones, Kingston have always been reliable in fact, the only product they produce are memory modules and other variants (like SSDs or flash drives), Crucial have a higher end following in fact their ECC modules are one of the best, I'm not familiar with Mushkin but these are very niche manufactureres which rely on loyal customer bases that aren't sourced from marketing or tradition but in delivering consistent quality products at a fair price for the purpose of existing as a fair company in the spectrum. Many more examples exist across segments in parts (Seasonic, Noctua come to mind) and they aren't shilled because their reputation speaks for themselves and the oldfags on these forums don't like hearing them mentioned because it takes away their aura of exclusiveness in being so mainstream, pun.

I assure you he has literally no clue what the fuck he's talking about.

They don't gimp their cards, it's just an urban legend because game engines and systems obviously evolve. Nvidia is a walled garden which promote their own profit first and foremost. 1080 Ti is scheduled to be released Q1 2017, I'm not sure how soon the next generation will be released but I'm assuming the "1180" might outperform the 1080 Ti considering the history of nvidia and to maintain geneartional profit. I'd suggest just getting the 1080 Ti when it comes out and upgrading in cycles.

I didn't know we needed credentials to speak here but I don't to debate, I"m not treating my word as gospel, you're not obliged to listen or debunk. If its absolute nonsense, then there's a difference in not talking, what's your contribution

Thank you for the response, user. Still though, is the difference in performance/reliability really so great as to merit more than half again the cost of identitically specced corsairs?

The missing cores on Titan X Pascal

>They don't gimp their cards, it's just an urban legend because game engines and systems obviously evolve. Nvidia is a walled garden which promote their own profit first and foremost. 1080 Ti is scheduled to be released Q1 2017, I'm not sure how soon the next generation will be released but I'm assuming the "1180" might outperform the 1080 Ti considering the history of nvidia and to maintain geneartional profit. I'd suggest just getting the 1080 Ti when it comes out and upgrading in cycles.
The issue is I'd heard that the 1080/i7 6700 was the last combo guaranteed to work at full capacity in Windows 7. I do not intend to upgrade to Win 10, ever, and as such wanted to get the highest spec cards to last as long as possible with this OS while maintaining decent production for as long as possible.

Negative, since they have the same spec at C15 and 3200mhz, just go for the corsairs.

Make sure you download memtest86 and you run test 5 for a whole night, otherwise the hammertest is fine as well. Because the memory needs to be used to perform well, it's kind of like burn in for headphones, some say it's useless. And yeah try downloading RAMdisk, try launching a game or worthwhile program that fits, you'll see the difference. Or even just your browser, there are guides for that.

Thank you user, I will do that.

are you the guy with the ddr2 issues thread earlier?

6700k was never intended for w7 and only meant for w10 initially... full capacity will be retained its just depending on how DX12 / vulkan develops

Since AMD has an edge in that sector right now, nvidia is restraining their developmetn in DX12 to make sure AMD stays below.

Basically it all depends on your resolution, I would stick to an ips 1440p 144hz quality monitor like MG278Q or even better Dell S2417DG (higher price) because that's the most long term investment you'll get and it will last probably a decade.

Many ppl are in the same situation, I'm also still on Win7 64bit... I'm close to switching because of all the botnets that are propagating you know, it's disheartening. In between malware propagators and surveillance, what a world. Not autistic enough to create my own OS from scratch.

Still better than the top spec quadro in OpenGL, which I believe was his point on "nvidia gimping"
The 1080ti has even more cores lasered off, you can clock it higher with less processing units too
They're not gimping the GP104 or whatever the fuck the GPU is called, they're selling products that fit within a hierarchy of prices and performances
You don't get mad that Intel or AMD has seperate options for cpus are you? Because half of those are "gimped silicon" or have "removed features" in the exact same way

Sure but I'll say that owning a titan x is nice, but unfortunately nvidia is removing that real pro segment because the full cores go in quadro, but it seems they had yield issues from tsmc which is why they switched to samsung and hbm2 is at such a high price, current platforms can't capitalize on that bandwidth anyway, it's really dependent on these 4k screens that nobody wants to buy because they're 60hz but the fact is that, I'm on a 120hz panel, the market gap is there because of the size of the files and the bandwidth for the content, it's just so heavy so the bottleneck is on a structural level . 4k is nice but better but larger screens are needed. Some prefer 3440x1440... But yeah it's linked to your GPU try buying the flagship just once and it will last at least 3 years seriously (4k 60hz is actually capping me right now), I mean current cards cant go higher than the monitor spec anyway

>6700k was never intended for w7 and only meant for w10 initially... full capacity will be retained its just depending on how DX12 / vulkan develops
Dammit, so it could still be fucked down the line with drivers or support or something? I bought a Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Skylake, but I can still return it and get a 6600. I just want it to be solid for as long as possible.

As you can see I am an enormous novice and have only the most cursory understanding of most things.

nvidia is actually employing us and the whole gaming industry because their real income is from enterprise solutions, medical, genome, astronomical sequencing and such, gpu computing and that's still untapped so sometimes these games are also geared to optimize their intended higher goal, it's a smart model

basically if they don't have enough full cores, then they sell the imperfected yielded silicon as top tier gamer and reserve the best for the industry, so they control the supply and still sell top price because the user has no choice playing games designed with their toolboxes that lag with their competitors

You're fine, keep the 6700K you made the right choice.

Thank God.

>using a tractor trailer to compete in drag racing

That's essential what you are doing.

What is the maximum speed I can use with my i7-3770? It's officially rated for 1600mhz max but I've seen people use 1866mhz RAM with it.

I have no interest in overclocking.

Depends on what your motherboard supports.

It's the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H rev. 1.0 which states:
>Support for DDR3 2800(OC)/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules

However I'm a bit concerned about when it comes to anything over the intel supported 1600mhz, I don't want to be messing around with over clocking and my CPU is the non k version too.

A simple XMP selection is my preferred method, my current RAM is technically 1600mhz but its running at 1333mhz now as it doesn't have XMP and I'm too thick to manually set it all up as one memory setting seems to alter a number of different CPU settings. I'm kinda looking for stability and reliability over raw overclocked performance.

Would this be a good deal? amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CML16GX3M2A1600C9-Vengeance-Profile-Performance/dp/B009YOJZ5E

It supports XMP and is low profile which will fit under my monster thermaltake CPU cooler.