Hey, complete tech retard here. I have an fx 8350 and r9 280x...

Hey, complete tech retard here. I have an fx 8350 and r9 280x. I'm all of a sudden getting frame drops in every single game I play. It'll be 230 fps in league of legends, then drop to 40 fps randomly out of no where a while into the game. Americas army does the same thing, hell even modded doom was doing it. I'm not using the stock cooler anymore, although it was happening even with the stock cooler. I was told that the CPU isn't a big factor in gaming and that it's the GPU. But now i'm being told the fx 8350 is bad for gaming? I don't get it, could someone shed some light? My cpu is still getting really hot btw speccy reads 67 degrees while gaming Americas army

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=disable xbox dvr&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Upgrade to intel + nvidia

thanks man, that's becoming more and more and more apparent every day

np. make sure you also upgrade to windows 10 goy

yeah when I upgraded to win 10 and new heat sink at the same time, it improved. But went back to shit.

did you disable the xbox dvr thing

google.com/search?q=disable xbox dvr&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

it's a great new feature that records your entire desktop

yeah i disabled that. The problem is, i touched my heatsink and its ACTUALLY hot. It's not speccy reading it wrong.

The thermal paste was already applied to the cooler I installed so I'm pretty certain I didn't fuck that up. Could the BIOS have some sort of weird setting I need to change? ASrock 970 extreme3

Same fag.

is anything eating your cpu

OP and a guy helping me out. Go shitpost somewhere else please.

Maybe change the thermal paste or at the very least blow the dust off everywhere.

in terms of programs? Turning off discord i believe added a very SMALL amount of performance. However I started noticing these problems as soon as windows started updating, and adding PC protection. Not sure if thats just coincidence or not

(i have a cracked version of windows, i'm poor as you can tell by the AMD)

Looks like a memory leak or botnet mining coins.

>Not using a Macbook Pro
Found your problem.

>a guy helping me out.
LOL you're a complete fucking moron if you believe that shsitposters shit, he's basically telling you to install gentoo, but worse bcus he's telling you to waste your money on bullshit rather than install a new OS.

anyways
turn off turbo, it's causing your cpu to spike to stupid voltage levels which causes it to overheat, then throttle, which in turn will cause these annoying frame drops. it's also extremely buggy

shit, i didn't even think of that

Monitor your framerates. If you're hitting 100+fps like that you're bound to get massive dips and they will be way more noticeable than if it were only bouncing between 40-60.
You should be able to set a frame target in radeon settings that helps prevent framerates from going so high they're detrimental.
Also did you recently install new drivers? I know amd just released a big new software suite. If you have it set to automatically update it may have installed improperly. This is an unfortunately common problem for amd cards.
Try using their uninstall utility from their website. I always remove and install drivers myself because theyre so prone to getting fucked up.
Yes the 8350 is not great for gaming. Gaming likes powerful single core performance and the 8350 is weak in that regard. And unfortunately a lot of modern games are starting to require a capale cpu.
Finally, that's really not that hot for a cpu under load, especially a fairly high tdp one like the 8350. But its possible the thermal paste pre applied is not ideal. Get some arctic silver or whatever is recommended these days and try reinstalling it. Like i said 65c really isnt that hot, but i may help a bit.

Thanks man, yeah i'll set a frame rate limit. unfortuntately I don't' think that's the issue. AA see's 60 fps tops. I'll buy the good thermal paste and apply it, my friend has a legit copy of windows for me and I just turned off turbo on my motherboard.

67 degrees isn't hot for a CPU dumbass.

>AMD ever running on 67C

>67c
It's not the CPU. That thing will happily do 85.

disable antivirus

Are you daft? 8350 safe temps should be

Post speccy on load/hwinfo/aida64 temps

I stand corrected. I wasn't aware the fx chips were so sensitive to temperature, nor that they ran at such low temps in the first place.
But i also found that they don't have a true temperature probe and the reading displayed is like an educated guess at best. Which is really dumb and can apparently be pretty far off.

Op do you have a multimeter with a temperature probe accessory or one of those temperature guns? You can get them for fairly cheap and can be handy at times. Actually a multimeter in general is something everyone should own and know how to use.
I'm guessing no but it would tell you more accurately how hot your cpu is actually getting.
For most accurate results you would need to bring it to load with the side panels on as usual and take you measurements quickly after removing the side panel.
But yeah try the drivers and thermal paste. Fucked up drivers can cause all kinds of crazy shit.

Reading from Tj Max is the best.

The lower the Tj Max, the closer it is to throttling/unsafe temperature. AMD temp sensor is different and has been explained in many articles for years.

My AMD FX 8320 @ 4.2ghz never goes above 52c at full load.