ITT: Dumb tech shit you did/believed as a kid

ITT: Dumb tech shit you did/believed as a kid.

Almost everything my father "taught" me. Took me a long time to realize that he's a know-it-all and knows fuck all about tech.

For example he still believes that best way to treat batteries is to discharge them completely every time. And yes, we're talking modern cells not nicad

A 2.4ghz dual core was 2* 1.2ghz cores that combined into 2.4ghz processing power.

I always thought you can take a hdd and put it in a different pc and it would work

pulled shit apart by breaking it rather than disassembling

And a Pentium 4 with hyper threading was the same as a dual core.

wtf I hate Thailand now

When I was like five I always had this fear that if a computer crashed bad enough, the CRT in front of your face would blow up.

When I was a dumb fat kid I used to take the side panel off my PC and blow a desk fan into it during the summer.

Why would this not help?

I guess it disrupts the airflow

computer will be damaged if you reboot too many times

you can't do this?

Everyone on the Internet is from my town.

>For example he still believes that best way to treat batteries is to discharge them completely every time.
What "modern cells" are we talking about? This is pretty much true for any phone and laptop battery.

It doesn't work if you're a Windows nigger

That my friend was a hacker and could print money out of his floppy drive.

He meant you won't expect windows to boot.

first problem is the ahci driver. good news is that most of them are the same now, everyone uses intel, so it should work. You could also set it to IDE in the bios to get past this.

second problem is the chipset driver, I think if it crashes windows (because it's wrong motherboard) it will know to disable itself next time. Certainly done this 1000 times through sysprep which removes all drivers for this reason and then inject necessary ones through DISM.

I know nobody that repeats this will bother to read but I have to sperg out on this topic because I was at a retarded business managing IT once where 4 different people didn't know what a bios or driver was

I believed you could get electrocuted if you messed with the connectors on the back, there's really no way for this to happen unless you stick something metal inside the case while it's on. also even if you did the psu and house circuit would shut off in a microsecond after the spike

>as a kid.
>dual core
babby

>refreshing the desktop on Windows will make the OS run faster
This is what everyone adult told me.

Do you have a source for that? I've read that the best way to treat lithium ion batteries is to not fully discharge them or fully charge them, but keep the charge between 20 and 80 percent

I used to think putting a little water on the outlet would make electricity go faster and charge my gba faster

This won't happen with GNU/Linux

Thats what everebody in Peru actually does. Every Teacher and Student i worked with did it.

instead of shutting off my computer normally I would just switch my power supply off

I used to think that ram was the only thing that could make your computer faster

i've booted from a harddrive with a copy of ubuntu that I installed on an amd machine and it worked on a haswell machine

You are right. Don't listen to the other fool. The old batteries had a memory effect and lithium does not. Discharging completely is actually hard on the battery.

That's because Linux is better with drivers and shit. Windows is intended only for a single machine or an identical one once it's set up.

This is what I thought too, thanks for confirming. I try to not fully charge or fully discharge my phone these days to keep the battery healthier.

What if I didnt believe it, even when I was a kid?

>somethings wrong with the computer! Its obviouslly all your damn video games you put on here user! They put viruses on the computer and now its not working! You have to delete your games!

>its 100% not your sisters fault! Kazaa is fine user, theres no viruses on there. She gets songs off there all the time. Its your games!

Modern batteries with integrated controllers (not 18650 for example) won't let you go into a deep discharge anyway, reporting 0% when it's not really at 0. The same with 100%. Just be sure to recharge it shortly after full discharge.

I thought that the save icon here meant 'copy the game to floppy disk' so I told my friend to come over with a floppy so he can play this game on his computer too
I was so embarrassed when I found out what it actually did

3 4

>Linux is better with drivers

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahaha
hhahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahaha

haha

still remember the first dumb shit i did as a kid was changing the switch from the power supply from the EU standard to probably the US one.Got scared as fuck because of the smoke.

Also the second dumb shit i did as a kid was changing the theme in windows 98 to negative/inverted. It wasn't big deal for my father but at like 4 years old i thought i fucked up the computer.

this
i used to keep track of how many times i rebooted and i waited a week before the bext restart when i hit ~20 reboots. i don't even know.

>late 90s
>I'm around 10 years old
>ordering food from the Internet suddenly emerges as the new modern thing

I kept envisioning the food teleporting in and being accessible from a hatch on the computer case

I remember having a RPGMaker2000 CD that would install malware alongside it. I think it was probably one of the fan games that came with it, that was the only occasion of "games breaking the computer" that my mother was actually right about.

My cat 'held down' the internet by sitting ontop of the CRT

I used to believe Harddrive space was a measure of how powerful a computer was.

I remember we had a 600MB HDD in our computer and this kid has a 1GB HDD and I was jelly as fuck

When my father got me my first laptop back in 2000, I tried to move my games from his laptop to mine by copying the shortcuts onto a floppy. I learned a lot from that laptop :)

(Relevant pic. Laptops given name was Hayley)

Band wrecker.

I thought that
0.1 + 0.2 == 0.3

yeah, I too thought I was a genius kid if I copied the shortcuts from games from the video rental store

It also took me a surprisingly long time to understand the concept of a monitor.

I remember I was playing some Flash game as a kid. It said to press f5 or f8 or something. Anyway after that it downloaded heaps of embarrassing bullshit to the desktop like KissingGame. exe and shit.

Still not sure how that happened but it was awkward as fuck.

>mfw reading this thread
Holy shit, this board is filled with idiots.

>I'm tech illiterate

Moving an icon to the trash can deletes the program

It does, you fucking idiot

>not using portable software

KYS C'UCK

Someone who sticks his desktop SSD in his laptop when he goes out here

Worked with no config when I ran windows and I have scripts that sort shit out on Arch now

Turbo button

I thought that future computers are getting better and faster than older ones.
How fucking wrong I was.

this

My older cousins used to do this all the time on Windows XP. did it after quitting big program or while waiting for a program to load

I used to think that purple gorilla was my friend

No it isn't. Keeping lithium at around 90% would maximize it's life

Every kid born in Turkey between 1980-2000 believed that playing too much "atari" (atari is literally everything that plays video gaymen) fucks up a TV. TV was expensive, so...

Pulled an hdd with windows 8.1 from an amd system (fx8320 processor), and it worked perftect when I put it on an intel system (i5 6600). It just had to set up devices again, which it did on it's own.

of course a muslim's first thought is an explosion..

I used to kick the shit out of my first computer. 6.2GB HDD, windows 98, it crashed, hanged, froze, and generally fucked up all the fucking time.
And so my kid self kicked it.

Why was I so full of rage?

My old geforce 6k series card had a yellow AV port, it looked identical to the port of my old CRT TV for analog cable television. I ended up pluging in the cable for analog TV into the yellow port thinking I could now watch and record my TV Shows with my computer. What I really ended up doing is frying my graphics card.

as a kid i thought the NES would push paper though the connection wire and that paper was what i was seeing on the screen

>half of the users here are winfags

you only noticed it now?

>Lincucks derailing, ruining yet another thread.

nope
you want to keep the voltage around 3.7V for longevity, which would be around 60-ish percent charge

Internet worked through the power plug.

This was like 20 years before power line adapter ethernet existed.

I thaught 72 was the max text size in ms paint,

Usually service guy would tell that to my Dad. Wasn't sure if that was true or he just wanted me off of the TV.

He didn't say explosion. Are you illiterate?

If something went wrong with PC - first solution was12 hour session of Scandisk + Defragmentation

I II
II I_

Technically, it's related to the power. Compare these two. Which is fast?
8 GB RAM 2,4 GHz
50 GB of 500 GB Hard Drive

or

8 GB RAM 2,4 GHz
495 GB of 500 GB Hard Drive

same in india, during windows xp days. sometimes it actually made it faster.

Bonzi Buddy?

This is adorable.

When I was a kid I thought that leaving the side panel off of my desktop would decrease the temps.

ya

I've never heard this. Source for more info?

I switched the 110/220V switch on the back of the PSU.

You can. I did this like 20 times already. You just need to do several things in order to make Windows work on a new HW.

This OEM version of Windows 7 i am currently using has been running without a problem on like 10 different MoBos, 3 of them were laptops.

Used to believe that if I didn't safely remove my USB flash drive that my mother would die in her sleep that night...

>When I was a kid I thought that leaving the side panel off of my desktop would decrease the temps.

I've tried this with just about every computer I've ever built. My experience is that, on average, it decreases the temp about 1 degree C -- not enough to make it worthwhile.

>forgot I left phone near the fire place
>come back
>baterry percentage went up
>better keep my phone real warm

kek you absolute madman

>That fucking pic
>Arch
I'd say blx but
>Laptop

Most older computers only had fans on the CPU and PSU and no in/out blower. I would think it would help because the air is free to dissipate instead of stagnate inside those old cases? I guess it really depends. no bait.

I've thought, that when nobody moves or speaks, the game will load sucessfully on Atari.

He's a muslim

>PC doesn't do what I wanted it to do
>better turn it into a puncing bag

>"ram is the most important thing"
>get 32M ram into my 486 box with no 3D card
>hopeful it'll now run harry potter 1, which had a minimum requirement of 32M (among other things, it would seem)

>get bored of mame32
>decide to open every folder, exe, dll on my machine
>mfw

one time i copied the .exe for a friends' worms armageddon split with winzip onto two floppies

i was pretty familiar with moving data around on floppies, but alas, full games need more than just the main exe, i was mostly used to small demos

I thought I was cool becuase I could make messages appear on the screen with batch/vbs files

>use kaspersky
>it finds a virus
>screamingpig.mp3
>mfw the devil got a hold of my PC

How do you did it on Windows?

I did this as well and it works just fine provided you don't have a case with great airflow. Gets things awfully dusty though.

I thought 64-bit processors would mean we could select 64-bit colors in Windows desktop configuration.

I thought people could hack me if they had my IP.

I thought antivirus actually did something useful and was essential.

I figured game developers had to program every single possible frame from every angle.

my dad wouldn't let me use my guncon (playstation light gun) on the loungeroom TV because he believed it would damage it

windows 8+ is much better for this than any previous versions
you can do it properly in previous versions by running sysprep generalize beforehand