IT'S HAPPENING!!!!

"China claims to have a working version of NASA's impossible engine orbiting the Earth - and will use it in satellites 'imminently"

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4052580/China-claims-built-working-version-NASA-s-impossible-engine-says-s-orbiting-Earth.html

Holy fuck how did America miss this? This is Sputnik all over again.

>america btfo
>"muh laws of physics!" btfo

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencealert.com/china-is-claiming-it-s-already-started-testing-an-em-drive-in-space
youtube.com/watch?v=jCAqDA8IfR4
science20.com/hammock_physicist/swimming_through_empty_space
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>claims

According to the comments in your link, British people invented that thing. NASA just test it.

>Holy fuck how did America miss this? This is Sputnik all over again.

Except of course America isn't investing shit in space while China is taking space seriously. China will colonize mars way before the rest even make serious plans to get people there.

It all sounds like total bullcrap,but i hope it will work only to rub into the face of tundercuck!

> Except of course America isn't investing shit in space while China is taking space seriously.
And they're right to do so, investing in space beyond comm satellites and ICBMs is a waste of money, there is nothing of use for us out there.

true interconnect revolution incoming if this thing works
lower satellite orbits
eternal satelites
faster internet
EVERYWHERE

>there is nothing of use for us out there.
Except raw materials, greater knowledge of the universe, and potential for life on other planets. God damn current year Sup Forums is dumb.

Muh bait

>Except of course America isn't investing shit in space while China is taking space seriously.

Isn't that pretty much what was happening when Sputnik orbited?

>dailymail
trash.tga

It's a lie. I work for NASA. EM drive is BS. Come on... You can't break Newton's third law like that. The idiots mistook thermal expansion for movement and published the paper. They even mention it could be a major reason to throw off the experiment but for some reason still publish the paper. There is a whole article about it if you search.

> raw materials
How many raw materials is being spend to acquire and deliver a gram of "raw materials" out there? And it's not like the Solar System is full of something really useful you can't have on the earth.
> greater knowledge of the universe
Well, yes, orbital telescopes worth it too, but that's all.
> potential for life on other planets
There is no such potential in the Solar System and interstellar travel is basically unfeasible if our "knowledge of the universe" is correct.

Space will became the same useless "prestige" money sink for rich countries to compete in as art is for centuries and professional sport - for decades.

No scientist have shown what you claim. If you have evidence then why havent you published a paper on it?

>I work for NASA.

try making up a better lie

Sebassss go to bed

Good for the Chinese if true. Like the old Asimov quote : there is a single light of science and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere.
Put simply if the Chinese succeed then others will invest in the tech.

Not surprised.

America
>sir we want to use X technology
>yeah well first make sure we got the patents and the certifications and all the bureaucratic slow shit

China
>sir we want to use x technology
>alright here's five bucks I want to see results by friday

I meant for colonization. We're running out of room on earth now. I'd just assume jettison people, willing to give up their lives, into space to lay the foundation for future colonies. It's going to get really crowded in the next 100 years unless a world war kills off massive amounts of people.

>daily mail

How is Sup Forums these days?

It's called the RED planet for a reason

>Working version of NASA impossible engine L@@K

Hundred years is a long time. Technology advanced tremendously since WW1. By that time we will be in a far better position to go colonize mars or whatever.

> No scientist have shown what you claim

I don't have to show its not working. Someone should show me it's working. The census amongst academics is that for various reasons it won't work.

> Try making up a better lie
Pic realted

>People taking anything Chinese sources say seriously

Pop on over to /k/ sometime to see how that always works out.

>We're running out of room
>99% of the habitable land mass is uninhabited
We could probably fit a few trillion people on Earth. Resources is a bigger problem, especially if everyone is going to have the same standard of living as we do in the Western world.

Earth itself lacks the resources needed to organize colonization in any number sufficient to make a difference. Like, if you want to solve overpopulation by space colonization, you have to send hundreds of millions out there. It's much easier to send free condoms to Africa and work on rising living standards and education levels in developing countries, since it works so well to limit birthrates in the west.

>You can't break Newton's third law like that
Unless it somehow doesn't break any "laws" and there are more factors you're not considering.
Or Newton was just wrong.

Observations always trump "laws"

its literally impossible to get an hdd bigger than 16 megaBYTES( holy shit!)

Burgers on suicide watch

>If the physics-defying concept is brought to reality
>physics-defying
Now come on, it can't really be physics defying, can it?

fun fact: it's actually old soviet military scientists saying:
if something is physically possible - we can make it

You're probably right. It's impossible to take risks in the US anymore because of regulations and litigation. China doesn't need to worry about operations being shutdown due to unsafe conditions or the families of dead colonists suing.

Man, that's amazing that there are NASA employees on Sup Forums. What's your specialization?

I'm a freshman studying CS, know physics pretty well. Always wanted to work in space research field. I'm not American, but studying in US. Is there a chance for me to work for NASA from law perspective? I know that SpaceX doesn't hire foreigners, which sucks...

>Man, that's amazing that there are NASA employees on Sup Forums.
it's actually not: NASA the most luddite organization on earth

The Space Race is back on!

Your pic proves nothing dumbass. Ur just jelly that chinese are better than you

Yes, most scientists are sceptical, even the ones working on the EM Drive. Observations appear to contradict theory. One of them is wrong. Finding out which one is how scientific progress occurs.

this

I work for area 51, we've been using these engines since the 80s

>asteroid belt full of the rarest metals on earth each one worth billions of dollars

ok

>Observations appear to contradict theory.
wow, earth is ROUND! wow, earth is spinning!

>reading the Daily Mail
>using it as a legitimate source

You know it's a tabloid, right?

It's raw materials of a different kind, moron.

For example, we are depleting our helium, yet the moon is full of it.

My dad works for nintendo.
They came up with these in the 60s.

let Sup Forums have their fun.
their lives are empty and miserable

It's a tabloid, and a shitty tabloid at that.

The story isn't fake, though. The Chinese have claimed to have tested the EM Drive in orbit.

sciencealert.com/china-is-claiming-it-s-already-started-testing-an-em-drive-in-space

I work as a software engineer for an EDL component of the Mars 2020 rover. In other words, if it lands and trips over a cliff, I probably fucked up.

Due to ITAR regulations, you have to be at least a permanent resident to be taken in for research I believe (I am one), but to directly come in contact with flight hardware you NEED to be a US resident. There are also many foreign students working as interns each year, but most of them are IT or just some excel work. They don't perform any actual work on flight stuff.

My recommendation would be to get in as an intern and there you can network. I know if you've completed a NASA internship, SpaceX gives you priority, but if you're not a US resident, then no dice unfortunately.

Why would I be jealous of chink scientists? I literally have about 15 days off for holidays, all while in China people throw themselves off of buildings due to work stress.

As soon as someone told me that the plans for the EQ drive leaked, I told them China was going to have a working prototype within the year.

Dailymail should be bannable word on Sup Forums

don't go to Sup Forums
problem solved

what actually should be banned is wcctech and videocardz

Don't claim that there is no potential for life on other planets unless you can prove it. We have no idea what we might find if we start doing serious digging on Mars. Even if all we find is microscopic fossils, it would be one of the most profound discoveries ever made.

>People believe this

youtube.com/watch?v=jCAqDA8IfR4

or on Europa... I have more faith in finding life on Europa.

Unfortunately, the Chinese just sucessfully tested the EM Drive in orbit...

>Someone should show me it's working.
Your employer already did that. And don't reply with 'muh thermal expansion' because that was accounted for in the last paper.

>The census amongst academics
Fuck off. Consensus means NOTHING in science. Only observation.

The guy in the youtube video seems to believe that people think the EMdrive can lift itself off the ground.
Or that it's useless if it can't do that.

It's simply for space where solar panels can give it continuous amounts of energy and there is no gravity to worry about.

And the reason it works may simply because of the same reason you can swim in space and move forwards.(only if space is curved)
science20.com/hammock_physicist/swimming_through_empty_space

Wow only 15 days? They literally have more off-days than you work monkey.

Competition is best.
The Chinese with their space program have
already mapped the resource-rich areas of the Moon for potential future mining Operations.

Now, they are going to the Dark side of the Moon in 2030.
If they built a moon base, it would just be like the Golden Age of NASA.

Americans would be forced to either put their
money where their mouth is or continue fellating the Ruskies.

ITT: the difference between ''''''''Scientists''''''''' and red blooded engineers.

>hurrr durr but it violates muh conservation of momentum
>muh newton
>hurrrr

>Fuck you it works, see you on the moon, nigger.

You are missing the point, thrust is thrust, on or off the ground, he uses 'lifting off the ground' to show how ineffective it is in comparison to the other engines that we use.

the idea that existence has set laws is baseless. there is corelation and they should be recorded but nothing is known to be impossible

This...

There is no proof of these laws of physics. There are evidence that imply them, but no proof they actually are real.

i work for NASA and the earth is flat

That's a ridiculously stupid argument. Lifting from the ground, thrust-to-weight ratio is crucial, since you have to counter gravity. In space it rarely matters; it's delta v that's important. Guess what, if works, gives the craft infinite amount of delta v? EM Drive.

I disagree. I believe there is ample evidence that the laws of physics are real, however it is possible that the way they have been defined are not completely accurate.

In this case however they are claiming that this engine works without fuel, but then say that it is powered by solar energy gathered through panels.

I'm sorry, but that is fuel. Energy is being preserved, we aren't getting something for nothing and some reaction is taking place that is producing propulsion.

yeah brah, we're like all in charge of our own destinies brah.

Just read 'the Secret' like I did and you'll be enlightened.

>how ineffective it is in comparison to the other engines that we use.
you mean engines that die when there is no fuel?
solar panels can essentially work forever

you are the one missing the point

the moment we leave earth is the moment all laws no longer apply. there are still things we don't understand too and for all you know on one side of the universe there is no gravity at all

15 days just for the new years. It's a lot more year round...

do you know how much everyone confused in aerodynamics?
there are no laws - only observation
we wouldn't have planes if anyone followed "the laws"

So what do you think about a solar sail?

You seem to be missing the point.

The EMdrive only requires energy, which you can get from solar panels.
A solar sail only requires light.

The EMdrive selling point is that it's going to be more efficient than a solar sail.

Rocket engines require fuel.

"lifting off the ground" is fucking stupid because it doesn't have to battle gravity in space.
In space the problem is with fuel.
Rocket engines will experience a fuel problem, a solar sail or an EMDrive does not.

that would be the start of the war, moon is a very important part of our lives and the US isn't going to let the chinks fuck up like they do down here

>hey are claiming that this engine works without fuel
They are claiming that they don't need to carry the fuel with them.
Just like with a solar sail.

So it isn't breaking any laws.

The difference between a solar sail or EMDrive is that it doesn't have to carry fuel with it, if you can get it from the stars there's practically infinite energy.
A rocket engine does have to carry fuel with it.

>The difference between a solar sail or EMDrive
*and rocket engines

this is sci-fi territory, anything beyond solar system is out of question

also continuous acceleration is major EM drive point

>continuous acceleration is major EM drive point
A solar sail will also experience continuous acceleration.

As long as there's light on the solar panels for an EMDrive.
Or as long as there's light on the solar sail.
Acceleration will be continuous.

EM drive can also be powered with nuclear reactor though.

>China doesn't need to worry about operations being shutdown due to unsafe conditions or the families of dead colonists suing.
Sounds like they've got their priorities straight.

Honestly, why is the one-way-trip-only volunteers idea such a debated one. If someone does it of their own free will, for family honor and self honor, Fucking do it. For honor and science!

It can.

Anything that delivers electricity will be able to power it.

Which makes it a bit more versatile than a solar sail.

how do you decelerate with solar sail?

not if you don't invest into developing technologies

the reason we have advanced tremendously since WW1 is because we actually put money into developing new/better stuff

Trumpistan BTFO

That's a fucking meme you dip. Navier-Stokes was solved computationally decades ago.

I do CFD for a living. kys.

flip it over.

Either turning the sail or you use another engine to decelerate it.

congratulations, you know about 1/8th of how planes work

what if there is not enough light at the point of deceleration?

What if I cut the brake lines in your car?

the same reason most of the english speaking world disbelieve in UFOs
>It's so crazy it can never be real, let's pretend it doesn't exist and spend no effort in trying to understand it

I also fly planes, nigger.

Nasa didn't prove shit
they basically set up the test and messured its out put then then spoke to various sienceists and theriests that said it could not be used and it shouldn't work because pyshics etcs and say say yes it could because thermals , magnetic waves etc on take off and its output is very low and it some what breaks some laws that we are not happy about that is what they said in universesties un able to disprove or appove the idea of the EM drive.

but in space it would be a better test etc.. and nasa was like

wow its fucking useless shit.

Yeah BS claim.
Nasa never disproved shit.

#rekt

so? I use computer right now, doesn't meant I understand even 10% of how OS works

Ayy lmao this fucker believes in AYY LMAOS

>t. Illiterate

fallacy
you can't count what amount of light you will get outside of solar system, you can barely count amount of light in asteroid belts - too many variables

So? Just because you're a dumb nigger, doesn't mean I am too.

Stupid Americans have to respect old ass Newton's Law while Chinks colonize the outer space

>delta v

Spotted the faggot who played kerbal space program and now thinks he's an authority to tell anyone about space travel.

Fuck off autist

good luck explaining to anyone how in detail kernel works

It's an assumption.

If there isn't enough light, then shit happens and we need something else.

This.

Just call Del-V what it fucking is..... acceleration.