How many monitors are needed to be productive when programming?

How many monitors are needed to be productive when programming?

Im currently doing some Unity and C# shit with only one monitor and i really feel like i could need three monitors. One for documentation, one for MonoDevelop and one for the the engine itself

Other urls found in this thread:

unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Let's be clear, if you're using Unity you're effectively scripting, not programming.

If I theoretically had as much money as I could want, and I fill a room top to bottom per wall with screens in 4k, I would still not have enough for all my productive tasks.

One.

C# is not a scripting language

Unless I'm playing a game I do all of my work on a 13" laptop.

I need focus not 300 windows at once.

If you think more monitors make you productive you're going at it from the wrong direction

If you're using SDL you're effectively scripting, not programming

Unity uses it as one.

No it doesn't

Straight from the Unity website

>lacking reading comprehension
Nowhere does it say that C# is scripting, hah what can you expect from Sup Forums

not wasting time vs wasting time and taking pride in reinventing the wheel

unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting

Scripting = programming

>Scripting = programming

Three.

One 16:10 in portrait mode for editing
One 16:10 for all the debugging/project management tools
One at whatever for running your application

This many

I'd say three:

Left - Debug log
Center - Code editor
Right - Output preview

All of them

3 of course

This.

If you're not doing some overly complicated thing, which you shouldn't be doing in the first place, you don't need anything other than one decent sized monitor.

Have one window take care of your text editor, one window for a console where you can build your program, and another window for testing(if you think it's necessary).

In case you need reference material or anything extra, you can just have multiple workspaces, which sane window managers let you have.

Personally I like either 2x 1440p or 3x 1080p. I've worked in both. In the 3x 1080p I tend to let things fill each screen, and with 2x 1440p I tend to use one tiled as split screen and the other full screen.

So basically I want three discrete work spaces, no matter what my actual monitor count is.

Hi Mr. Gensokyo.

I'm using a 21:9 and 16:9 monitor for programming.

Works perfectly

One monitor with vurtual desktops
/thread

>posts a thumbnail
REEEEE I was interested to see that setup

If you're not using a font made by yourself you're effectively scripting, not programming.

2 is the sweet spot. Beyond 3 you're starting to see diminishing returns.

I use 3. One for documentation, one for project, and one for movies or whatever I'm watching.

I used to make music, one big monitor was enough. Nowdays I do photo edits, and I use two a 17" and a 13" with almost perfect colours.
I don't know about coding but, using two monitors maked everything easier (and kinda cooler).

Let me repost this here.

First let me start I'm not from Murica so your awesome deals don't apply here.

So an upstart shitty web dev and I wanted to buy monitors for my work. Currently I'm stuck with my shitty 1366×768 laptop monitor.

Now I was wondering what do I do? I have about 300$ but for reference I'll convert prices into USD here.

The DellP2416D is a 24" 1440p monitor that costs 288$

The Dell U2417H(could get HA for the arm) is a 24" 1080p monitor that also costs 288$

There also an option to buy 2 entry level IPS monitors from say ANYONE really... so I get a 2×1080p setup and later buy a 50$ Dual Screen mount or arms.

I was also considering going a decent IPS monitor and later just adding another one say a P2417H?

So what would be best for productivity. I most have notepad++ open together with a few browser windows, some paint.net and folders also word.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Install gentoo

Okay first don't use monodevelop you fucking idiot. Use visual studios. Now for your actual question, two. One for the code the other for the engine itself.

t. Guy who uses unity with two monitors

Buy 2 crappy, then upgrade your stuff.

Off. The botnet now wants to identify pizza. What's Google's endgame?

at University we had two displays in the CS computer rooms.

At home and at work I have three monitors. At work I could use more than the three I have and at home I have one turned off most of the time.

>don't use monodevelop you fucking idiot. Use visual studios
Why the fuck would anyone use Visual Studio?

Korean 27" 1440p monitor, or two of them

2 Samsung PLS (IPS) monitors, about 100€ each

I find it comfy with one screen even that I have two, The second one its for media (music player)
Alt tab or swithing workspace sems a decent workflow that having to turn my head and losing focus.
But somtimes if i have alot of windows I put my doc on the second one

Just test it, learn the shorcuts to switch workspace fast (asuming you have an Os that suports multiple workspaces)

There is clearly benefit to having more screenspace than standard 1920x1080 or even 2560x1440, but it's diminishing returns as soon as you have to start tilting or pivoting your head or moving your body to read arbitrary windows.

> vertical space usually matters the most for dealing with a single task, up to the point that you're craning your neck or whatever
> more horizontal space for more parallel tasks/doc windows helps, but not quite as much
> you probably still want more horizontal space to keep email windows, music players, etc. open anyway though

40"-50" UHD with a tiling window manager is probably the premier coding setup at present, and will remain so until either >27" 5k screens get made (less likely) or 8k TVs roll out (probably inevitable because Japs and Olympics)

Is PLS better then IPS?

Same shit different names, only an autist will notice any difference.

>How many monitors are needed to be productive when programming?
One.
Two if you're testing netcode.

One, maybe two at most. There's little reason to have more than this, unless for some reason you need to have another application open to see other data or run another application with.

These Koreans ones where do I buy them?

How much is shipping to Europe?

three 1920x1200 (or 1920x1080 in a pinch) in portrait mode are bretty great, but honestly 40" 4k makes me jelly.

> central window for primary editor window
> one side for supplementary editor file or properties panes or whatever
> other side for email or shitposting
> shit setup for watching movies or playing most vidya though

if you have a DE with workspaces, the gain from additional monitors is diminished so greatly, it's essentially zero.

Would you rather have two curved 1440p ultrawide monitors on top of each other in the center with two 1080p ultrawides mounted vertically on both side? Or just two 2160p ultrawide monitors on top of each other?