So i got a GTX 1060 and im finding difficult to find a VGA to DVI-D adapter...

So i got a GTX 1060 and im finding difficult to find a VGA to DVI-D adapter, how bad would it be to connect it through hdmi?

in case anyone wonders, i have a Samsung Monitor/tv so i could use it for consoles aswell, so it only has vga and hdmi ports.

Is the image quality better with a direct dvi connection?

HDMI to DVI and vice versa is a passive remapping of pins. There is no difference in video fidelity.

Pascal doesn't have DVI-I?

WHAT THE FUCK

Wait... you mean that your monitor is only having VGA port? (aka 1024x768)
And you bought GTX 1060?

VGA supports 1080x1920
Use HDMI, it is objectively better than VGA.

Hdmi is much better than VGA.
Hdmi is totally fine. I know there are some snobs out there that will call you a pleb for not using displayport, but they're practially the same thing. Only thing that makes hdmi shitty for monitors is it doesnt have a latching mechanism like dvi-d and displayport.
Dvi-d is depricated by the way. No reason to keep using it unless you have a really cool older monitor that doesn't have better input options.

>Analogue in 2016

ill go with hdmi then, for some reason i always felt like the vga port had better quality than the "TV part" of the monitor, but then again i was only using a ps3 on the hdmi port, and the ps3 looked better on a better TV

There's no analogue signal. Find an Active Displayport to via adapter instead. I repeat, active.

The only reason to use analogue in 2016 is if you have a CRT

well, my 7950 had a dvi-i and i had the idea that it was the main connector, now i see this 1060 has this port for compatibility purposes and hdmi and display port is meant to be the main ones.

Correct
Yes, VGA can support the 1080p.
But at what refresh rate and quality? VGA needs ADC circuit for LCD monitor.
And we are talking about GTX 1060 beast here.

Maxwell is the last GPU architecture with analog support and DVI-I

Pascal is digital only, so no DVI-I

And retards here say Pascal is a shrink of Maxwell, which is proven to be absolutely false

>And retards here say Pascal is a shrink of Maxwell, which is proven to be absolutely false

it's refined maxwell

With a good reason, the refresh rate will not be able to carried over analog line i.e: 1070 at 100Mhz refresh rate.
>And retards here say Pascal is a shrink of Maxwell, which is proven to be absolutely false
That's AMD fanboi.
Of course, the ultra high frequency run in Pascal requires redesign.

I don't *think* the absence of an onboard DAC has anything to do with the GPU architecture.

Nor do I think the *shrink* part is meant literally instead of what says.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/open-gpu-doc/pascal/1/gp100-msi-intr.txt

>NVIDIA replaced the old interrupt control tree in Pascal and later architectures to migrate away from a legacy PCI interrupt based scheme toward MSI-X interrupts.

Again, Pascal is not a shrink of Maxwell, debunked over and over again

Do you realise you'll need an active converter to go from analogue to digital?

Well display port supports higher refresh rates.

But if you have a 60hz monitor then yeah HDMI is fine

>VGA to DVI-D
retard alert

If I'm not mistaken the 1060 has an HDMI 2.0 port which is good for 4k 60fps or 1080p 120.
DP can go higher but HDMI is fine for a 1060. Its strong suite is 1080p60 anyway.

144hz bud
Need displayport or dual link dvi

Is there an actual, noticeable IQ difference between VGA and DVI/HDMI? My sis bought a Dell 1080 IPS and it looks fine running VGA. Is it worth the trouble of buying an HDMI cable?

This is kind of a moot point considering AMD carried the carried the HD 7000 series almost in its entirety through to the Rx 300 series, only adding in a couple top end cards and adding more/faster ram to some of the old ones. There's the oddballs too like the 285 but that was more like a tech demo of their compression technology.
And yeah, re-badging old gpu's and selling them in the next generation is hardly anything new, but to the extent that AMD took it to made them look pretty bad.
Not that I mind. It means my 7870 kept getting driver updates for ~5 years.

>VGA supports 1080x1920
9:16 lol

>He never played pinball fx2

what's the maximum bandwidth of active DP -> VGA converters?

I have an old but high-spec (130 kHz/160 Hz = 1600x1200@100Hz or 1024*768@160Hz) Iiyama CRT that I've not touched in years but my primary video card is HDMI/DP/DVI-D only.

Do any adapters support these kinds of ranges, or would I be stuck at more standard limits like 1600x1200@75Hz?

Did you guys hear that? I think retardation took a physical form — and it wasn't me this time.

>im finding difficult to find a VGA to DVI-D adapter
Because you need an active converter. DVI-D (and Pascal in general) don't have any sort of analog video output. Unless you're using some nice (and old) high-end CRT you're better off spending money on a new monitor than spending money on an active VGA converter for your old, shitty screen.

Current gen cards Pascal or Polaris don't support analog outputs.

You need an active Displayport to whatever adaptor.

does anybody make one of these that screw into the back of a monitor and accept a DP cable?
I feel like there would be fewer interference issues (ghosting etc.) with the DAC as close to the tube as possible.

Could someone recommend me a DisplayPort cable? I bought one but it was garbage compared to the DVI-D cable that came with the monitor I got. The DP cable doesn't display black correctly since the monitor seems to have a white filter over it when I use my DP cable (but when I use my DVI-D cable it looks like it's supposed to look)

user, DP is a digital format.
If the cable is affected, most likely all colors will be affected.
Don't blame the cable first, google about DP colour issue. Yes, I am saying that it is most likely a monitor or graphic card setting

But user you were supposed to buy an RX 480, also just get a passive HDMI to VGA adapter if you need to hook up a CRT

Although mine doesn't support my CRT's 1600x1200 resolution natively

Mkay, I'll check it out when I get home.

AMD dropped support for analogue outputs from Fiji. Switching to a RX 480 wouldn't help much

It's mostly for the better DX12/Vulkan performance for the future, and free-sync savings

Here is the pinout of DP.
All colours data will flow on the same lane

Ooops

I have two monitors connected to my 1060 using DP to VGA active adapters, and one with native HDMI. They work all fine, but if I try some chink cables or whatever it won't work right at all.

Just get that DP to VGA active adapter from ugreen and you are OK to go. Also, my 1060 has a DVI-I port, doesn't yours too?

No, I mean DVI-D like in the OP.
Ill maybe get a second handed display to hook in there to use as much native ports as possible (a DP one is on the way).
I guess using native ports is """""""better""" for higher refresh rates and such, right?

qeq

Supposedly my monitor is running at 1920x1080 at 60Hz off of VGA

OP said his monitor only has HDMI and VGA, so it isn't greater than 1080p@60Hz.
Just rotate your monitor, bro.