Alright Sup Forums lets answer the question once and for all...

Alright Sup Forums lets answer the question once and for all. Is Stallman and Wozniak right about pic related being a Hero?

he was a hero for doing it,
but he was a complete idiot for screwing up his life

He did not reveal anything new. All he revealed was public knowledge and written out plainly in the Patriot act. He could just have pointed out the passages in the patriot act (which is public by the way) and went "hey guys, you know when the government wrote a law saying they would generally spy on the american people and collect sms, phone calls, internet traffic, chat logs and etc. from everyone. They might actually be doing it you know... There is a reason why they made that explicit in the law."

But then again, he might have been viewed as a nut job. But it was not really a secret, making a law allowing it explicitly DOES implicitly mean that the government is going to do it. He did it all for nothing.

He did the right thing.

100% hero, i worship him daily

He is a hero and kill yourself

Hero.

You're a traitor OP just for asking this question.

100% hero

He's a Hero, because he has the best interests of the nation in his heart, not the best interests of some corrupt government bigwig.

"NSA Director Keith Alexander initially estimated that Snowden had copied anywhere from 50,000 to 200,000 NSA documents. Later estimates provided by U.S. officials were on the order of 1.7 million, a number that originally came from Department of Defense talking points. In July 2014, The Washington Post reported on a cache previously provided by Snowden from domestic NSA operations consisting of "roughly 160,000 intercepted e-mail and instant-message conversations, some of them hundreds of pages long, and 7,900 documents taken from more than 11,000 online accounts.""

There is no way he read every piece of information he released, and can not vouch that it all pertains to his political ideology. His actions, regardless of their outcomes, were too reckless to be considered heroic.

you are implying that the masses are looking at such things
the reason it was important is exactly because someone implying that the government could do something bad is a "nutty conspiracy idea that is not worth to waste even a second thinking over"

I can only bring anecdotes about it but
The people i have been talking about such things always called me paranoid
and he proved everything true from a relatively high level of authority which led to the autists who called me paranoid accepting that i was correct

is this thread posted everyday?

I think he could have shown a little more discretion in his releases. Overall what he did was good though

since when does recklessness mean it can be heroic

Wtf are you talking about?

What is optic-nerve?

A: not specified in the usapatriot act

What other choice did he have? He knew what was coming after the leaks.

DAMN RIGHT

how would u become a hero without sacrifice? do you really think u can make an egg without chicken ? or make a chicken without egg

you for a fact can make an egg without a chicken
take any reptile/bird and you'll get an egg

I just saw his movie and theres only one thing that bugs me out.
He never returned all the money he made from all the shit he did.
He was living a pretty "comfy" "sheltered" life money wise you know?
Its like some merc went all medieval doing le deep operator geting tons of money then turns around completly ignores the moral ramifications of his actions and call it quits.

Is he living off his savings in Russia? Or does he have a job there now?

Really made me think.

>he didn't reveal anything new

>the things he revealed damaged national security

I don't understand how giving money back to the contractor who paid him or the agency who is committing the abuses would be the moral thing to do.

Traitor, there was absolutely 0 reason to reveal the US's foreign spying operations.

err i mean he was enjoying the lifestyle procured by the shit he did.
So now he should face charges from all countries he spyed on.
>inb4 hurrr he only joined to make usa safer
Everybody know that place keeps tabs and collects dirt on everyone.
>everyone

The US uses its "foreign" spying power to illegally spy on its own citizens and teaches other governments how to do the same.

I could understand that argument if he had spent 20 years working contract jobs making 250k a year, but he was there very briefly and completely blew up his career as soon as he found out that the US government was whimsically spying on its own citizens.

>He's a Hero, because he has the best interests of the nation in his heart

>leaking classified documents that might damage vital intelligence and counter-terrorism operations is in the best interests of the nation

No.

What is the least corrupt country in the world? Taiwan?

>domestic spying is vital to national security
>Snowden leaked anything that damaged any significant operation

No.

He did right for trying to expose the problems with the Obama administration, but putting true patriots out on the lines in danger is unacceptable. That and he's a spy.

That is a great argument, except after 3 years, the NSA still can't point to any person Snowden put at risk.

The whole organization?

Why would they further compromise someone to prove a point about a traitor?

This. I'm not even American but that's exactly what I think.

>Liberals bashing US government for being bad guys
>Multiple people supporting their opinions
>US government bashing liberals for being bad guys
>Multiple governments supporting US government's opinions
You are all no different

Whistleblowing is important when I have more reasons to fear my own government than any foreign entity

The whole organization is the leader in a world wide conspiracy to spy on literally everyone, creating their own secret laws as they see fit. Fuck them and everything they stand for. Not a single terrorist attack has been foiled by these programs, yet they continue to pound their chest and screech artistically about "muh terrorism" everytime anyone questions the programs.

The idea that any terrorist learned anything from Snowden is laughable. The organization's explicit goal is to spy on these people. They've known for years, it's why bin Laden only used physical couriers to communicate and used encrypted software as far back as 2001. What we learned is that the NSA is spying on everyone all the time. The only way notifying the public of that is treason is if you regard the public as an enemy, which the government surely does.

>us citizens being subject of this dystopian-esque level of scrutiny without any reasonable suspiscion.

>patriot act anything to do with obama

Snowden explicitly said that the actions of the Obama administration is why he came forward. Obama campaigned to end these surveillance programs and curtail the Patriot Act, he ended up expanding it.

Doesn't he provide Russia with NSA's secrets in exchance for them to not deporting him back to the US, and living a pretty comfy life in Moskva.

No, that's just another smear campaign by our government. He wasn't even in Russia on purpose, he just had a connecting flight out of Moscow. The State Dept revoked his passport before he could catch his flight out of Moscow, thus stranding him in a Moscow airport for a month before he could submit his asylum paperwork.

Proof?