Can you give me a non-meme answer for why you believe this is not the best programming language?

Can you give me a non-meme answer for why you believe this is not the best programming language?

didn't think so

Other urls found in this thread:

mypy-lang.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

slow as fuck

uh... install gentoo?

>no static typing
>use of white space for scope

Into the trash it goes

These. /thread

>>use of white space for scope

THIS!
All good programmers write everything in a single line, which is not possible in Python.

honestly it looks good, but I cant be arsed learning yet another language atm

white space actually doing something sounds clever, and the dynamic types thing must be great for soloing and quick prototyping. If you have a big team with some shit coders I think you'll miss strong typing though

>use of white space for scope
This is possibly the most retarded thing in Python

Nowadays dev time costs more than computation time.
>Cython
>Stackless Python

Dynamic typing is a real issue but you should indent according to scope anyway, if you work with multiple people on the same project that is.

white space

White space makes it easy to read, but awkward as fuck to write after a certain number of lines. Combined with how slow it can be, it makes Python best suited to being a scripting language.

People whose only argument against using a (otherwise) good programming language is that they don't like the syntax, tells you more about them than the language, honestly.

What does that even mean? Where and when do you draw the line between programming and scripting? Is your definition of scripting that Python is used as an embedded scripting language? I have rarely, if ever, actually seen that done -- it's almost always used a stand-alone interpreter. You don't seem to really know what you are saying.

>no clr
lol

>White space makes it easy to read,
This is one of the problems. Programming languages should be difficult to read and difficult to write.

Which is why the whitespace is a problem. It is more difficult to keep the code obscure and difficult to read. If its easy to read then you get lots of noobs programming in your open source projects.

Python's flaw is it's too good so it makes people envious

I dunno

I wish there were only a few languages

Like C++, Go/Rust, Lisp/Clojure, Python/LuaJIT and maybe ES6

each ecosystem would be bigger, faster, safer etc

Global Interpreter Lock.

Ikrr??? I can't just copy shit from stackoverflow or write everything in one line

Lua is faster and metatables are more elegant than python's bloated OOP stuff

White space isn't really a problem if you're using an editor that shows visually your scope, which most that support python do.

>dynamic typing

Why are you bringing money into the equation? The language itself is slow. You asked about the language not compromises a company is willing to make.

/thread

The great thing about python is deployment.
You do not have to compile stuff on other machines, if it works on one, it probably works on all.

Performance is also better than most scripting languages, but I usually see python in places where development speed is more important than execution speed.

Maybe it is because I am not as experienced with it, but I often find that it takes more time to read a python application to figure out what part is relevant to me.
Compared to something like C++, you generally get less documentation, worse performance, and less structure as C++ developers tend to make it more OOP than python developers.

But if I have to run something on a Pi and test it while developing, I will use python so I don't have to wait for Pi to compile stuff.
But for desktop applications, I stick with C++ as I think it is a better language.

absolutely zero static safety

accidentally pass a string to a function that expects an int? runtime crash
make a typo? runtime crash (or if you're even luckier, unexpected/weird behavior)

it's one of the most frustrating languages to write any amount of actual code in, because your development cycle is absolutely glacial

Good for beginners and for quick scripts. If you don't bother learning anything else after that and try using Python for every fucking thing, you seriously deserve to die.

>Thinking the whitespace problem is about forced indentation and not it breaking shit because a space got missed somewhere
Any modern IDE will auto-indent your code according to scope because it's not ass backwards retarded
Python can't do that because the indentation IS the syntax for scope

Lack of static typing, and it's interpreted. It's great for scripting or learning but I wouldn't make anything big or fast with it

>accidentally pass a string to a function that expects an int? runtime crash

Competent programmmers would always either check type or convert.

>python
>competent programmers

It's not as fast as a compiled, lower-level language like C.

It's not as powerful as something like Ruby. Better than php but php7 is a real contender and still dominates the web market. Also that split 2.x / 3.x bullshit. It's still widely used in academia / science so it has that going for it. It's got a niche but outside of that you of course have better options.

It's class implementation is fucking stupid. There for doing OOP on it feels anti-natural.

It's functional programming features are also pretty stupid: no tail call elimination, single parameter function literals, no proper high-order function support.

Good luck testing on a dynamic language.

Python is designed to be easy to use, not to produce good, manageable code.

>Competent
>Does manually things that should be automated to be impossible
Kek

Meant for

I'm sure, since Python is a C derivative, you could modify it to lose the whitespace and bring back curly braces. Probably breaks compatibility.

are you some kind of idiot?

educate me, shit stain

>which is not possible in Python.
(lambda sys:(lambda input:(lambda ilen:(lambda m,olen:(lambda star:(lambda f,g:None)(list(map(lambda i:(lambda b:list(map(lambda x,y: star[x].__setitem__(y,input[i]),[i,b,m,m,i,i,b,b],[m,m,i,b,i,b,i,b])))(olen-i-1),range(ilen))),print("\n".join("".join(char for char in row) for row in star))))([[" " for x in range(olen)] for x in range(olen)]))(ilen-1,2*ilen-1))(len(input)))(sys.argv[1]))(__import__('sys'))

>absolutely zero static safety
mypy-lang.org/

Well... I have to admit, that IS nice looking code and looks difficult to read.

I guess Python might not be so bad after all. But most Python code looks like it's written for babies.

>You don't seem to really know what you are saying

not him but I'm not sure you understand what a scripting language is

an interpreter is probably the most common characteristic of a scripting language

This. It's just a symptome for making stuff unnecessary dynamic without thinking twice.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "", line 1, in
File "", line 1, in
IndexError: list index out of range

nice code

Because it is language of machine learning and modern scientific computation.

Pass it an argument, retard.