/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

Specs lookup tool from type number:
tp.krelay.de/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

benl.ebay.be/itm/AUO-B156HW01-V4-V-4-LAPTOP-LCD-SCREEN-15-6-Full-HD-AG-COMPATIBLE-/251505582570
benl.ebay.be/itm/NEW-AUO-B156HW01-V-0-V-3-V-4-V-5-V-7-LED-FOR-HP-1080p-15-6-LAPTOP-SCREEN-LCD-/151293038964
benl.ebay.be/itm/AUO-B156HW01-V4-V-4-LAPTOP-LCD-SCREEN-15-6-Full-HD-AG-COMPATIBLE-/271455583339
ebay.de/itm/322369929589
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=122224
insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just got a new mbp for Xmas
Blows my old ThinkPad miles away.

Open your eyes faggots

hey thinkbros i just got my first thinkpad (x230) and it's great and all
but can anyone tell me what the fuck the rectangular button next to the mic mute button is supposed to do? it does nothing at all (i'm running xubuntu)
thanks

can't remember but just map it to anything useful like opening a terminal

what's Sup Forums's verdict on the thinkpad 13 i5/8GB RAM? looks fine to me, should i get it?

So I am pretty new to ThinkPads and bought an x220 with an SSD but it only has 4 gigs of ram. Definitely going to upgrade that, but I have seen people say they have put up to 16gb into an x220.

Is this a useful meme or is it overkill for the machine?

Why is Canada such a third world country when it comes to buying.

They are so expensive and our money is not even worth the plastic it is printed on.

Dear /tpg/,
I have a budget of (max) 450 dollars, an ssd, a 4gb and multiple 2gb sodimm sticks, don't give a shit if something is new or pretty, and need a laptop. The possibility of an eGPU mod would be an added plus.

I need at the bare min:
4 threads @ 2.6 GHz
720p, 16:9

Any particular models? Ebay links?

Thanks in advanced.

i love my thinkpad :3
post your love for thinkpads

>tfw this is one Sup Forums meme that I do not regret falling for

All right Sup Forums I'm almost falling for the meme. I have a choice of either the X201 with Core i5 540 M or a T410s with Core i5 540 M and Nvidia 3100 NVS GPU. Which one is better for my needs of basic office work and casual gaming (Dota2)?

Any fellow /tpg/ europoors?

Looking for AUO B156HW01 V.4 for when I finally buy that beautiful T520 and given I'm stuck in Belgium, it seems I will have to resort to ebay resellers from UK such as
benl.ebay.be/itm/AUO-B156HW01-V4-V-4-LAPTOP-LCD-SCREEN-15-6-Full-HD-AG-COMPATIBLE-/251505582570
benl.ebay.be/itm/NEW-AUO-B156HW01-V-0-V-3-V-4-V-5-V-7-LED-FOR-HP-1080p-15-6-LAPTOP-SCREEN-LCD-/151293038964
benl.ebay.be/itm/AUO-B156HW01-V4-V-4-LAPTOP-LCD-SCREEN-15-6-Full-HD-AG-COMPATIBLE-/271455583339

Anyone with any experience with those or buying screen replacements in EU? I've also seen a few on AliExpress with "no dead pixels" warranty but.. yeah..

About to buy a T430, it's sold with a used 9 cell battery.
The vendor offers a new 9 cell battery for 35 € instead of the used one, should I get it with the new one or go with the old one?

Thoughts on the X1 Yoga with an OLED screen?

I'm in the market for a laptop and it would be my first Thinkpad.

Are Microsoft Authorized Refurbished thinkpads locked in any way?

probably overkill but if it's cheap enough why not max out. only problem is a x220 with 16gb won't play well with egpu setups unless you put in a custom bios

Always on USB port is damaged on X220(previous owner), how easy is it to replace, and where do I get an exact replacement

So I found a $43 SSD on amazon, but it's either from Germany or from Hong Kong
Would there be a risk of me being ripped off, or does amazon have protections against that
Both sellers are new sellers BTW

ayy, bought my x230. Its on the way

Is a x230

>grade A condition
>I5 3320
>128 ssd
>8gb ram
>IPS screen
>1-year warranty

the biggest meme you've ever heard? Europoor btw.

320 jewros btw.

Finally joining the lenovo master race. Waited 2 months for this and its coming thursday

Lenovo E570 15.6" Laptop: i7-7500U. 16GB DDR4, 256GB PCIe SSD, GTX 950M

Sprung for a T440p since its the last one with a socketed board apparently, swapped in a 4910m, 1866 ram, and a 1080p ips in addition to the drives. Amazing cooling, for what i assumed would be a nuclear holocaust of a chip in this chassis, keeps it nice and quiet too, hell half the time its fully passive. Only feasable upgrades I can do now are swap in some 2133 ram for extremely negligible gains on the iGPU, and swap the atrocious touchpad for the T450's much better one. Real solid, I think I'm in love.

>E570
>E
Shigiddy

How much did you buy it for?

It opens the ThinkVantage programs or can be used to access the BIOS. But that was in the past and you need the right drivers etc.

Is the fhd mod for the tblazeit ready?

>wanna set custom splash screen
>can't get the bmp file to below 38 kb, tried stripping color profiles and all
>when I try a gif it just shows up as random noise
what do

/tpg/,

I have happened across a T420s (i5-2520) with 8GB of RAM and no HDD (I have an SSD to put in anyway) for $115, yay/nay?

Well, since you live in Europe, they're going to be a bit more expensive
But shave $40 off of that and I'd buy it, as an american

Any of you use older thinkpads, ones with C2D cpus?

I am debating on whether or not to pick up a t400/x200

with 4gb of ram and an SSD, it should be sufficient for web browsing and video watching, right?

>E
You fucked up

Is this mabye something for me?

ebay.de/itm/322369929589
This, sorry

where to get cheap japanese keyboard for x230

Anyone get such a comfy, satisfying feeling from their ThinkPads? I just feel so comfy in my room with my x220 while there is so much commotion downstairs.

Im between the X220 and T420.
I'll mostly use it for light video editing.
Which one should i get, gee?

A desktop

i need it for portable editing while im on the plane.

a macbook
maybe a macbook pro if you're doing it for work

pls respond
I don't wanna get ripped off by commies

Do they have that standard description in their seller info saying something along the lines of "before ordering, please contact s e l l er @ shiteemai l .com"?

Buy a kingdian s280
t./csg/

>Please refer to the Amazon.com Return Policy or contact Thao Tran to get information about any additional policies that may apply.
>chink data storage
that's what I want to avoid

bout to purchase a p50

Would anyone highly recommend getting 16GB over 8GB memory?
Not a gamer, and won't be doing anything too intensive, but will be working with CAD programs once in a while.

It's an additional $160 for the upgrade

I have one in my t420
Its fine

Also,
importance of the colour sensor?

I've read of some people's laptops coming with poorly calibrated screens.
Personally I do dabble with design stuff occasionally, and sometimes hook up a wacom tablet to draw. Is it worth the $70?

Hello /tpg/ I have interest in purchasing a thinkpad. And I read through the buyers guide which was very useful, but before I purchase I wanted to ask for general opinion.
I want a normie thinkpad. I would mostly use it for web browsing and a little programing on the side. what model would you recommend?
Thanks for any replies,

What's the best lightweight distro for a T61?

OpenBSD

what can I do with a smart card reader?

What do you think?

T420

BunsenLabs/#!++/whatever DIY Debian+Openbox+tint2 shit you want

t. T601F owner

I just sold my w510 last month. I wish I still had it. Im thinking about buying another thinkpad. I've had t400 and w510 both have been great.

T430

Installed tlp on my t420 on debian 8, i removed default MATE power manager and now i lost battery status indicator. any ideas how do i manually put some battery status indicator up there

Shouldn't be too bad if you can solder, since it should just be a through-hole mount. You can probably find a replacement on digi-key or mouser or your other favorite electronics supplier.

Seems like a pretty good deal if it includes the hdd caddy, battery, and adapter.

You fucking missed it. Too busy looking for the green 420 sticker mod for it?
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=122224

You should be able to upgrade it yourself for cheaper. As for calibrating the screen, you could just find a color profile for your exact screen model that someone has already made and posted online.

So buy another one.

>i removed default MATE power manager
Why did you do this?

>So buy another one.
I have $200 extra right now. Anyone know what currently can get best for this?

What do you mean by finding a color profile, and how would that work on Windows?

because i have tlp to manage my power consumption and they cant work at the same taem

no one owns a 13 here? i'd really need an opinion.

if you mean the 12.5'' X-Series, they are awesome. Super lightweight and battery lasts about 12 hours of doing whatever or like 18 hours shitposting.

Is it reliable like an equivalent samsung or sandisk?
is that the shark brand shit?

read smart cards

Mixza is the shark, go ask for benchmarks over there, its fine for personal use

It's got rounded corners
aka it's shit

no, i'm talking about the thinkpad 13.
is this some kind of an insidermeme?

Macbook has round corner therefore round corners are shit
QED
t. PhD candidate of shitposting

It's the abandonment of the classic "bento box" design language in favor of looking like a generic $150 laptop
If I were to buy a thinkpad, it would have to look like a thinkpad
round corners ARE shit, user

How would a t420s go as a hackintosh?

no docking, not a good battery

Mostly fine, its been done before

pantone color calibration a worthy investment or nah?

Help?

Can anybody explain to me what these options do exactly? and for what purpose I would select each one.

>the kits for non-s T420/T430 will be out, but special terms might apply, which I will open another thread later

Alright, this is what I was meaning

I don't like slim n light models of anything

Same guy here, what green 420 sticker mod?
I don't get it.

RAID 0 -- double storage across two drives
>benefit of faster speed
>drawback of LOSING FUCKING EVERYTHING if even a single drive fails

RAID 1 -- clones everything you do on one drive to a second drive
>benefit of always backing up everything, never lose anything unless both drives fail at the exact same time
>drawback of less storage space, due to the drives being seen as a single drive

fucking use google next time, asswipe

DUDE WEED LMAO

Oh...
Well, at the risk of sounding boring, I've never done weed.
I justified it by saying "drugs cost money, and money is a pain to find"

I mean, I can easily google for definitions, but I'm mainly concerned about which option I should choose when buying a new laptop, and why.

Guess I should go with the no RAID option though.

just set up my "new" thinkpad I got for Christmas. Took a little bit to set up (it ended up being the software's fault) but I fucking love this machine.

P50 ordered and on the way!

im fucking hyped

anyone know how long the lenovo site usually takes to deliver? says ships within 7-9 business days.

So I ordered a X230 from online

Asked the seller if there was a bios password. he said no

Forgot to ask about computrace.

If it comes with it enabled, do I just flash coreboot?

You flash coreboot regardless

I hope either it doesn't come with it or you have a hardware flasher. Not the same process as '20 series or before.

oh fuck i didnt realise you needed external equipment to do it

I have an x230. Is it time to upgrade? I'm majoring in Accounting.

More than likely it won't have Computrace if you bought from a reliable seller. Play it by ear. Don't worry about problems you are not sure you have yet.

How are PNY SSD's?

Isn't all your stuff on the cloud by now?

i'm a newfag to technology in general, and after lurking a bit i decided that i want to buy a t420. please help with the buying process. i have no more than $220 to spend on one
please answer these questions
>is a t420 good for everyday use? can i watch my animes in good quality and do some low/mid-end gaming?
>is 2.5 ghz good, performance-wise?
>is an intel core i5 2520M processor good?
>is 4 or 6gb of ram passable?
>should i buy an ssd and replace whatever hdd is in the t420 i buy?
>how bad is the TN? how easy and cheap is replacing it with an IPS?
please respond, Sup Forums. don't bully

What's the best ThinkPad to install gentoo Linux on?

they can have up to 8 gigs of ram
yes, they are sufficent. modern day tablets have about same cpu performace

Wouldn't the c2d be a bottleneck for the ram?

Depends on what you're doing with it. 8GB will be enough for you to fuck about with a bit of overhead while running a Windows VM with [whatever] running.

8GB is arguably overkill for whatever you're doing with a C2D but not by a lot. I've been RAM bottlenecked at 6GB on my T601F.

cant answer all of that but i would say definitely get an ssd, the boot of OS and programs is awesome. and cant you find a thinkpad with an ips already in it? and why not go for a x220

The standard T420 guide apparently works.
insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/

W500 libreboot when? Should I exchange mine for a T500 if freedums is important to me?

I have a t430 with an i7-3520, is it worth upgrading to a quad core processor? Does that require a mobo swap?

No, and no.

Love the one you're with.

Or SSH/RDP/VNC into a desktop/server for """serious""" work.