So I was helping a friend clone his HDD to an SSD with Clonezilla when I found out the HDD was 1TB and the SSD was...

So I was helping a friend clone his HDD to an SSD with Clonezilla when I found out the HDD was 1TB and the SSD was 500GB.

The HDD only had 290GB on it however, and we already created an image of it in clonezilla and it says that the 500GB SSD is too small. How can we get around this?

>What is partitioning

Please explain? How would partitioning anything help here?

What's the OS on the HDD ?

>clone his HDD to an SSD
retard

Windows 8 I believe, although we're booting into Clonezilla through a flashdrive before Windows even loads.

Boot into windows
Download macrium reflect
Clone drive
Macrium reflect only copies over data used

Yes he is, but i've already started the process and want to finish helping him out.

Can I get Macrium Reflect to turn it into an image and restore the image onto the other drive?

resize partition with gparted
dd partition onto SSD
done

that's how I've done it (500 GB to 60 GB SSD)

Yea you can do that or you can just cone it

Nice trips.

Okay, here's the deal.
Clonezilla images drives or partitions. That means that it copies the blocks (used or not) of said drive/partition to another device. That's why you need a 1+TB drive to clone another 1TB drive.

To migrate his 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD, you'll need a tool that copies only used blocks and also takes care of moving NTFS system shit and also resizes the partition.
Don't forget to copy the EFI System Partition (if applicable) and copy/recreate any MBR/EFI entry or the system won't boot.

this is the only logical true answer

Can I make an image of the partition and load that onto the drive?

So let me make sure I understand this correctly

1. I can just pirate Macrium Reflect
2. It's a software I run in windows, I don't book into it like Clonezilla
3. I can make an image of the drive (which only images the data on it), and then restore that image onto the other drive.

Will it be faster than Clonezilla's process? Making an image of the drive last time took 2 and a half hours.

Over complicated answer
Also I believe dd copies block by block

Macrium reflect is free and the most optimal way of doing this.
Also macrium allows you to create image of the drive and restore it later or just clone the drive directly

Cool, that's what i'll do. Do you know if it's faster than Clonezilla.

Lot faster.

What does the paid version have that the free version doesn't?

Backups I think

Backups of? Aren't you already creating a backup when you make an image?

Image is not backup. By backup I mean incremental backup

Well thanks for all the help, i'll definitely use Macrium.

What's the difference between a backup and an image though? Can't you just use the image as a backup?

Can't clonezilla do compression while imaging? If most of the blocks are not used it should compress under 500GB if you zero all the unused space and do any kind of defragmentation.

The IMAGE is under 500GB but it will look for a drive of 500GB since that's what the original media was.

Ahh. I guess in that case repartitioning would be the way to go cutting off the tail of 0's and imaging that, cloning that image unto a new drive then extending the partition.

That's if the other solutions in here don't work out.

You could use the image as backup if you want but if you are gona backup every day it will create full backups meaning creating image of whole drive every day that will take up lot of space. With incremental backup it will add to the image only the files that were changed.