Why is 8GB of RAM considered the minimum for gaming? As far as I know, no game uses more than 4GB...

Why is 8GB of RAM considered the minimum for gaming? As far as I know, no game uses more than 4GB, and I've been fine running games for more than 4 years now with just 4GB of RAM.

Is having more than 4GB of RAM a meme? Will I even see an increase in FPS if I buy another stick? Redpill me on this, Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iKIavpEQQGg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Most new TRIPLE A games require at least 8 gigs.

Shit many recommend 16 instead of 8 now.

68 bit processors open the window for terrabytes of RAM

>Why is 8GB of RAM considered the minimum for gaming?
Because devs don't have the time to be neat and do a proper job.

64*

But WHY. Games don't use that much. Check for yourself, senpai.

Why do games run better on my PS4 than my GTX 670 even though my 670 is still more poweful?

Lazy devs not doing proper optimization is the answer.

>As far as I know, no game uses more than 4GB
Well, you are wrong.

Got any counterexamples?

Plus the operating system and anything else you have running is using RAM.
And the operating system will use more RAM if you have more RAM free to use.
Which is good..

GTA 5 runs like shit with only 4GB.

Because modern developers are lazy fucks and just throw shit at the engine and say "Get more RAM" instead of optimizing the game.

Because they do the minimal amount of optimization and lower resolutions, quality, effects, AA, AF, and so forth.

For example, the latest Hitman game has significantly lower texture resolutions and a limited draw distance on consoles compared to the PC port. It even renders fewer agents in crowds.
If the game wasn't specifically designed for a console (in which case there are already multitudes of well-documented tricks to get extra performance from the specific hardware, not to mention provided APIs to build the games in the first place for the specific console) then it's generally just a matter of start to strip stuff down to get it to run better.

Or to put it more succinctly: You 670 will run games better than your PS4 could ever hope if you tell it to run at PS4 settings. Lower the resolution, lower the draw distance, turn off AA, etc etc.

>Will I even see an increase in FPS if I buy another stick

kekd

For one, you might have firefox or chrome open with 50-200 tabs open, with a browser extension that has a memory leak, causing you to be at or maybe even above 4GB RAM usage. Most people will keep the browser open even if they're about to open a huge, resource-hungry application like a modern day game, so having 8GB of RAM will allow you to keep your browser open, which might have cheat codes and perhaps even twitch open while you play your game.

Amd also

This user gets it. With my monstrous browser session, music player and few other gubbins going on my system effectively idles at around 4.5gb. If a game demands 4gb woops suddenly I need to close shit to not murder performance. In fact a few games (like Doom and DE:MD) eat 6gb on their own when running vulkan/dx12 respectively and as such, 8gb of system ram doesn't cut it.

As I am insane though I have 12gb ram.

Redpill me on the optimal ram heat spreader color.

you don't need it, people just listen to the marketing hype without using their own common sense

Are you from 2009?

Because you probably have a gig of shit running in the background including Windows and services and Steam and updaters etc etc.

They are all judan lies. Ram doesn't need a heatspreader nor does it need to benefit from colour coding.

Red obviously, red goes faster yah dopey cunt

>using 4GB of RAM in fucking $CURRENT_YEAR
god bless your soul. this is my usage during web browsing and playing a not so demanding game

Why the fuck not. I got 2x8 kingston savage sticks rated for 1866 for 100 euroes. 2x4 didn't cost much less.

I bought them for my VSTs though.

why don't you ask Sup Forums? they are the gaymen board

XCOM 2 eats up my 16 gigs after a couple of hours.

Devs are lazy and don't make games to be optimized with lower RAM usage, so they advise people to buy more RAM "just in case" because lots of programs are RAM intensive so you might have a couple tabs open in your browser and still have some left over to use when gaming/streaming/skyping/ect...

Plus maybe put on a tinfoil hat but it helps boost sales if people need to be told that more RAM is better so Samsung/Corsair/Crucial/other OEMS get more in sales.

>16gb DDR4

Hmm, a tad expensive but I can deal with it

>32gb DDR4

fffffffffffffuck

>Plus maybe put on a tinfoil hat but it helps boost sales if people need to be told that more RAM is better so Samsung/Corsair/Crucial/other OEMS get more in sales.

More RAM = better has been around since practically forever. It gets tossed around all the time because it's arguably the most bang for buck upgrade you can do for most computers besides maybe an SSD, and most computers besides chromebooks are capable of getting easy RAM upgrades.

I agree with you that shit ain't optimized, but that came more from people constantly buying more and more RAM, giving them more breathing room to expand, while the people were more content to upgrade rather than complain that they were being forced to upgrade.

you can do it with 4gb, but having multiple games open or other shit open in the background and you run out of ram very quickly

>TFW your mobo supports 1866mhz and faster but your CPU can't understand

>Intel

Also: XMP.

I remember when 4gb single sticks came out and everyone shat a brick. They were also like $200 each.

If the game uses 4... where will the operating system go

It makes alt tabbing faster and less chance of crashing when you do. That was my experience. Otherwise devs are shit

Disk thrashing like a blender in The Division on 8gb.

I have 16gb but I mainly switch from programs to programs very often.

E.g. games to muh browser to muh dev c++ etc.

8gb is just right assuming you only to vidyas

Unless you want to close every other remotely ram intensive program you're running whenever you want to play a game, you'd want more than 4gb even if you don't really need it. Even then, in my experience thing slow down a bit when you have less than 1gb of free ram.

Aren't those recommended stuff more for illiterates that keep like a dozen or so completely unnecessary programs on startup and thus leave them running on the background because they don't know how to deal with them?

youtube.com/watch?v=iKIavpEQQGg

td;dw
If you only game and don't do content creation, 4gb is enough and more RAM makes little to no difference in fps.