I'm a long time user of GNU/Linux and I'm tired of configurations and constant loops. I just want something that werks...

I'm a long time user of GNU/Linux and I'm tired of configurations and constant loops. I just want something that werks. Forget this I'm going to Windows.

>Windows
>werks
heh, good one

But I agree, Linux is great for many things, but as a desktop OS it is absolutely useless. That's why I started using a MBP with macOS as my daily driver at home, and ssh onto my headless Linux workstations at work to do work.

If you had been a long time user of GNU/Linux then you would have been way past any state of frustration because you would know how to get something that 'werks'.

Linux is the most popular server OS just BECAUSE you can get something that reliably works without any downtime if you know what you are doing.

So you are likely just a child who has never even tried the OS. If what you say are true, then give me a ONE-LINE command that can change a folder filled with files looking like this:

season-6 episode 3.avi
season-8 Episode 7.avi
season-8 episode 8.avi

And change the name of all the files in the folder so that they look like this:

S06E03.avi
S08E07.avi
S08E08.avi

Anyone who have used GNU/Linux for a long time would have no problem doing simple one-line file management.

I'm doing the same because I need to be able to play VNs.

I ran into a problem though. My wireless adapter's manufacturer mediatek is no longer offering drivers on their website. What the fuck.

My laptop isn't a server

It's the same OS, just with different applictions. You still can get it just as stable. But you have likely never used Linux, and you are especially not a long time user.

You could not even answer my simple question

cd videos && mv season-6* SO6EO3.avi && mv season-8 E* SO8EO7.avi && mv season-8 e* SO8EO8.avi

Been using Linux for 2 years. This right?

No... Imagine that I have several thousand files like that is what I meant... I just showed you a small sample.

>Been using Linux for 2 years.

Then just use Linux Mint or Ubuntu, then you get something that "just werks" with your level of knowledge.

Why not use Windows or MacOS like a person with an actual life and career

Well... you CAN be more effective both in life and in your career with Linux. It is by far the most powerful OS.

But of course anyone who can't handle Linux don't need to use it.

What's the answer then?

When you lack the Adobe suite and with only alternatives that come no where near it. When you need to go out of your way to get basic printing support and even wireless card drivers. No one with things to do can use Linux as their main driver.

The rename command can change multiple files

Which Adobe program were you unable to run when you tried to?

Illustrator and InDesign

full answer?

>just werks
>Windows

he won't give it to you very readily. he's happy enough to parade his superior file renaming skills around without sharing. google it and save yourself the annoyance of dealing with such a fag.

Went windows after using Linux for the longest time. Feels good man

ls -1N | perl -ne '/(\d)+.*(\d)+/; chomp; printf("\"$_\" S%02dE%02d.avi\n", $1, $2)' | xargs -n2 mv

>it is by far the most powerful OS
what can Linux do that windows can't?

SO INTUITIVE!

t. wincuck who can't understand a dead simple perl one-liner and xargs

>I just want something that werks.
>I'm going to Windows.

Install updates without rebooting

Reboot without installing updates

>as a desktop OS it is absolutely useless
You've never used debian with GNOME3

It can do this: Which takes maybe a minute or something to to on Linux, but might take hours, days, months or even years to do if you have hundreds of thousands of files.

Likely not asked because it's intuitive, but because it's difficult to google for stuff that involves regular expressions, but is common to know among Linux experts because it gives the users a lot of power that is inaccessible on Windows. (But I assume you can do the same thing on Mac)