Name 1 (ONE) reason to not buy this laptop as a finance student

Name 1 (ONE) reason to not buy this laptop as a finance student.

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/computing/238878-apple-now-officially-dongle-company-happens-make-smartphones-computers
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues/
youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the 2015 model is a much better deal right now

how so?

>finance student
>wastes his money

wait for it to pop up on the refurbished store, you'll be getting an additional $200 or so off the list price, which is already $300 less than the 2016 model. you're getting an older processor architecture, but the higher clock and bigger battery more than make up for it. in another generation or two the new models will absolutely be the way to go, but redesigns always bump up the price a bit too much in the Apple world

buy whatever you want, but dont post on Sup Forums with bait threads thats faux pas.

only 1 port, need a fucking adapter for it at that.

any other laptop with excel will do you just as good if not better for less

get an xps 13, more ports, more powerful better screen

>buying refurbs

if it's a company that actually will replace shit if broken (apple, dell, hp) there's no reason not to go refurb, it's free savings

XPS 13 or Thinkpad X1 Yoga with an OLED display?

usb c

no one is using it. i dont see it catching on for at least 3 more years. that's only one reason. if you didn't get the 2015 model you goofed

>implying apple's refurb warranty is the same let alone as long as a new warranty

buying used computer parts is literally the worst thing you can do, unlike a car or a house theres no way to tell how much a computer has been used

xps 13

Why XPS?

its the best value right now compared to the other one you listed.

Yogas aren't that great because they get shit battery life and they're really pricy for what you get, also they don't come with an SSD IIRC.

the XPS13 has a better screen, better hardware and while it doesn't have the fucking bendy screen shit it does have a touch screen option

You'd expect a finance student would make good financial decisions

no escape key
too big trackpad
bad battery life
gimmick bar
sierra

The XPS has a really shitty keyboard and the touch display is a gimmick. Battery life is six hours despite their advertisement for 11 hours.

>battery life
source?

I have one.

anecdotes are not sources

Are you running Win10 on it?

Do you like the laptop so far or would you have rather got something else? I need something that'll hold up for around 6 years while delivering high performance.

:^)

I have ran Win 10 in the past and currently run KDE Neon.

I wish I got a different laptop. I thought I wouldn't care about the keyboards but it's too shitty to ignore. Also, the screen is too small for my taste. This computer is underpowered for the price too.

Check out the thinkpad general for a good laptop.

>finance student.
go for it, it's kinda hard to give rational arguments to someone who has no soul.

my throat got all dried up from all the salt in that post

the only reason i haven't bought one yet: apparent battery issues

apples have great resale value.

>used computer wears out

wat.

On a modern machine with an SSD there's literally nothing that can wear out except the keyboard, which would take like 10 years unless you pour Coke into it, and the case fans, which are even replaceable on the new Macbook Pro 2016 once you get the case open.

So on the 'worst things you can do' list, buying a used computer is probably just above 'sliding down the stair railing at the mall to look cool in front of this one girl you like because what could go wrong' but below 'ordering that burger rare at this burger place you've never eaten at before'.

Should I get a rMBP 15 inch with graphics card or not?

I don't intend to do any gaming on it whatsoever, but I understand that it is also used for speed-ups in rendering things like webpages?

>Breaks laptop
>Can't sell it
>Loses money

If you're a normie get a regular midsized laptop that has a num pad (you'll be using lots of excel).

If you're slightly autist then drop 200 on a used Thinkpad x220/x220t.

i5/8gb ram 180gb SSD with a numberpad that can be accesed with FN key. Thinkpads arent a meme. [spoiler]Like mechanical keyboards and Sennheiser headphones[/spoiler]

>buying a laptop with zero key travel

Absolutely disgusting

Im not defending apple im merely calling you out. You are stupid and uninformed. You get a year of the same apple warranty dickface does brand new. And you can buy Applecare to extend that warranty for three more fucking years. So it wouldn't matter how old or crappy the parts are if they are defective it is free

i get all day battery life.

people that say they dont never used it or believe anti-apple shill reviews.

i bought the 3,000 device and i know battery is ok

Accounting and finance software tends to be only on Windows and if you want to do something like dual boot you are screwed by Windows needing a fuck-ton of storage space and your mac's storage being non-upgradeable.

>using the smiley with a carat nose

This.

>Have water damaged 2015 MacBook Pro 13.
>Send to Aplel for FREE repair, yes FREE repair.
>They replace the top case, logic board, cables, every single thing by display assembly.
>Literally replace every single component.
>Screen is the only thing that wasn't replaced.

what the fuck

>Accounting and finance software tends to be only on Windows

It's 2016 nigga, QuickBooks and Excel comes on OSX, too

This.

CHekem

>if you want to do something like dual boot
>mfw people on Sup Forums don't know about VMWare Fusion

You could just find any gay bar and get your ass rammed for free instead of spending thousands of dollars to get the same

I knew you non-STEMs were retarded, I just didn't realise how retarded.

MBPs are great and they hold their value.

Just sold my late 2013 model for $1k. Bought for $2.5k and used it daily for 6-10 hours a day. A bunch of autists are going to try to tell you that a $1500 LED-covered plastic Asian abortion of a laptop is a better financial decision. These same autists won't tell you that that laptop won't be worth even $500 in less than a year because of horrible build quality and manufacturer support.

A good laptop doesn't need a resale value because it will last you nearly 10 years.

Pretty much this: better hardware, better battery life, almost same form factor, it have useful ports.

>XPS 13

Hope you like loud, constant coil whine

>Thinkpad X1 Yoga

Hope you like plastic cases and shit-tier keyboards and trackpads and driver support

Cheapest chink components inside a "pretty" case.

Yes, let's put even more overhead on the really shitty CPU.
Retard.

You do realize that only extremely mentally ill (ie homosexuals) use macbooks, RIGHT??!

Its barely an upgrade, last years model is coming down in price and losing the Apple tax. Plus you'll save a lot of money on the older better magsafe2 power supply and wont have to spend a bunch of money on dongles since none of your devices can actually connect to it

My Macbook Pro only lasted 5 years.

you'd think after three generations dell would have fixed the issue

I think the keyboard is acceptable. I had the touch version, but then Dell was selling the same model with non touch one sale, snagged it for $880 with tax. Returned the touch one I got on sale for $1228 with tax.

1. It would be fiscally irresponsible. There are laptops with better specs for the same price, and if your current laptop is not starting to get slow as hell or the battery is not dying, you would in effect, just be throwing money away on a toy.

2. Apple cannot into security. During 2015, Mac OS X had the most security vulnerabilities of any operating system. The second most was held by iOS. They are willing to spend up to 6 months to patch a privilege escalation vulnerability, and the patch didn't even work when it was first released. If you do any sort of online banking (which, in general, you shouldn't do, but I know a number of people do it anyways because they're lazy), you would be putting your banking information at risk by accessing it from this computer.

3. It will be a pain to carry around a number of adapters just to make this product usable, and you would be encouraging Apple to continue selling products that need adapters to be usable. Smart consumers should punish bad behavior with market failure. It's the only way to get companies to listen.

Mine only lasted 2.

bump

>only 1 port, need a fucking adapter for it at that.

That's not the 12" in the OP you blind prick.

I don't get it. Does Apple give you a free course in COBOL?

>Name 1 (ONE) reason to not buy this laptop as a finance student.

Because then you get exposed as someone with no economical sense. You can get way better machine for that kind of money. And you can even install MacOS on that if you want.

Also there is no numpad on the keyboard and you will be using numbers a lot so you will end up buying a separate numpad and live in dongle hell if you buy one of these

Any finance student will know that there is a high inherent risk to this and a bad argument for buying something.

>1. It would be fiscally irresponsible. There are laptops with better specs for the same price, and if your current laptop is not starting to get slow as hell or the battery is not dying, you would in effect, just be throwing money away on a toy.

You see Mr Job Interviewer, I bought this poorly fitting thrift store hobo blood stained suit because I am financially responsible

>>implying apple's refurb warranty is the same let alone as long as a new warranty
but user you stupid fuck, it is
>1 year automatic, extendable to 3 with applecare, exactly the same as a new model

BULLSHIT.

When I took my macbook in they wanted to charge me SEVEN HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS FOR CHANGING ONE FUCKING RESISTOR.

So how many offers do you get with your 10k Armani suit when McDonald's calls you in for interviews?

All the new PC/Laptop motherboards are using USB-C and phones now are exclusively USB-C.

Why would a finance student need anything more powerful than a netbook?

As a finance student you should be the one justifying your purchase, not us.

Price, no numpad, most finance software is written for windows.

I rarely recommend a windows laptop, but this is one case where it makes sense. You should be able to cover your needs for around $500

Getting laid with your cute art student girlfriend(male).

>linux
>good battery life

choose one and only one

Windows 10 gave me 6 hours out of the 11 they advertised

>most finance software is written for windows.
This and if you want to buy a mac get 2016 model solely because of the magsafe.

i mostly use thinkpads but i've bought and sold use apple laptops for years. yes, a normie can do it too.
me, being a "power user" i buy a new laptop every 2-3 years and sell old ones.

i have a 2015 X1 Carbon that I will probably sell as soon as the new ones come out. *shrug*

The keyboard is shit, no number pad and overpriced as fuck. Get a 2015 MBP if you really must...
Source: economics MA who learned to cherish a quality keyboard

/thread

My sister is studying finance. The only program she needs is excel. A 200 dollar pc can do the job just fine if you dont bloat it with malwares like she did with her pc. You are not an engineer, architecht, or a computer scientist. Dont waste your money on it.

Forgetting a dongle when you need to plug in a USB stick, projector, printer or anything else.

Other than that you cant go wrong.

If the browser you use supports GPU acceleration, yes. It's also always good to have a GPU if you can i guess, maybe you'll do video editing or something one day.

they dont make netbooks anymore

My 2011 MBP is going to stay with me at least until 2020.
But i wouldn't buy the new ones because meme battery, meme keyboard, meme thunderbolt 3 and meme bar.

Whats the point of using Apple products if youre too dumb to AirDrop so you need a USB-please-rape-my-face-hack-me-and-steal-all-my-data stick?

/thread

if you are seeking to show off your wealth, don't go for the newest model, at some point you have to connect something and that then you have to use dongles and nothing shows lack of wealth like work around solutions.

>sells it for 40% of original price
>proposes theoretical laptop that dies in less than a year but still sells for 1/3 its original price despite being dead and is more powerful than the 2.5k laptop at 60% of that price

>finance
lack of a numpad would be the biggest pain in the ass.

Buy an X220/T420 off of eBay, buy an SSD for them, then invest the rest of the money you didn't spend.

>studying finance
>buying a laptop for $1k

the best advice would be to drop out

USB

It acts like a rolex, every retard knows its expensive

Don't bother with the dGPU if you're getting something with an HD 6000 or higher

Heterosexuals don't buy Apple computers.

Why not just buy a few suits?

Because the previous model has a far better keyboard. Seeing how you'll be writing a shitload of essays that'll be important right?

>really shitty keyboard
Compared to the mac's 0.5mm travel? Or the Yoga?

/thread

>this keyboard
wait what?
Did apple seriously put a flat membrane keyboard like on a ZX spectrum?

This shit was absolutely garbage to do anything on

>go to American debtors class
>begin lesson in slavery by buying a laptop priced like car

extremetech.com/computing/238878-apple-now-officially-dongle-company-happens-make-smartphones-computers

9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues/

youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU

youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o

>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>keyboard shallower than a hollywood slut
>keyboard louder than a sheboon nigress
>proprietary SSD
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>tamper tape on battery screws

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously/

>it's 2016 and moving files around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

APPLEL IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

MACFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

if you're a serious finance student and not some shitty community college, then you'll have to write stuff in Latex. Writing stuff in latex without function keys is barely possible