Anyone have a Raspberry Pi? What are you using yours for? I'm currently putting together a portable RetroPie...

Anyone have a Raspberry Pi? What are you using yours for? I'm currently putting together a portable RetroPie. Also any suggestions on screens?

Just bought one literally hours ago waiting for it to arrive. I was thinking of using it as a pi-hole, but there's gotta be more useful shit to do too.

I use mine as a low power always on server that I can ssh to over my vpn for whatever reason I might have. I use it to wake up other devices in my network to access them while I'm out, without having to leave them on. I have it collecting logs for all my traffic from my firewall and it hosts a personal website as well.

From what I've understood, you can use pi-hole along with other things. Apparently it doesn't consume too much CPU which I may add to it.

Along with RetroPie, I'm considering getting a few more Pi's and making a smart mirror and potentially a rear-view camera though probably not as cheap. Haven't looked into it too much

What controller is best for retroPie?

Retropie connected to my TV

I've been trying to come up with better uses for it, but I can't. I have the old ass 1st model Pi, so it's slow as fuck and useless in general.

>tfw I'm the only one who replied that isn't using this for viddy games

Exactly what I'm using mine for

I'd use mine as a web server, but fuck it, my connection only has a 4mbit upload speed.

I use mine with Xbian to run Kodi

Freenet, we need to support the pedophiles.

Media center

Mine is collecting dust. Going to have ubiquiti management software put on it when I upgrade my wireless infrastructure at home

Trying to figure out if I want to make a wooden case for my RP3 and a 5" screen. Not sure how it would turn out but could be nice.

>people use their Raspberry Pi for video games even though their computers would be infinitely better
Why
I wish this Pi meme would just die off.

I assume because most people don't bring their desktops with them wherever they go. Having a Pi is smaller and easier to carry with you.

Pi 3s are quite powerful and versatile for the money. Just because you're too stupid to do anything with it doesn't mean it's a meme.

Your laptop is by proxy also much better.

Not talking about the other uses. I'm talking about the people that buy it for emulation. Usually because some normie-tier site told them to use fucking RetroPie or something when Lakka exists.

It's an easy, cheap and low energy way to play roms on the TV

I have RPi 2 and use it as sort-of-seedbox and home page server. I used to run Tor node, but got tired of getting b& everywhere (though it wasn't even an exit node). Also used to fuck with osmocomBB and RPiTX SDR.

Yes, but a laptop is still bigger than a Pi 3.

>dude size lmao
Your laptop also has a decent battery, a built-in screen, enough ports for multiple controllers, built-in speakers and all of that.

While a Pi needs more adapters than an Apple product.

same thing, but using a dead SNES case

>While a Pi needs more adapters than an Apple product.

What adapters? Literally all you need is a microUSB cable for power and a HDMI cable to connect to your TV/monitor

Don't even need a USB hub anymore either since new Pis have 4 ports.

You can let it run 24/7 and not worry about it consuming power, generating heat or making noise. You don't power it down, so you never have to wait for it to boot to play games, no need to worry about your battery getting worn out etc.

How does that 5v PSU do you? Which did you buy and is there any particular one you recommend? I want to use one to power a few Pis.

Remote file transfer. I used to use it for emulation but I use my 3ds for that nowadays

Thinking of getting one to run as a private server, how much power do they typically use?

5V at around 2A max, so about 10W max.

I'm running a VPN Server, RetroPie, kodi and PiHole on mine without problems. The server only receives a connection when Im not playing or watching anything anyway, so it doesnt run into performance issues.

Pretty satisfied. Also have several OrangePis and NanoPis, like all of them.

DNS server
VPN tunnel
Web Server

I have run openvpn/shadowsocks gateway, baikal, and home assistant on OrangePi One. It was a horrible experience. Armbian is buggy piece of shit, community support is nonexistent, HASS interface was not responsive at all.
Now it is replaced with 50$ c2d era "office" pc with 10$ chink e5440. And it is now running zfs smb share, netatalk, transmission and plex too with no problems whatsoever. Would never fell for arm meme again.

Nominally 0.6-1.0A, so >1W
Uses more with peripherals plugged in, but you should really be using a powered hub for anything more than a thumb drive.

it's pretty great, got it for like 4 euros on Aliexpress. it's 15W (5V3A). make sure you get one with adjustable output, since the Pi is pretty sensible to voltage and i've found that the more things you connect to it, the more the input voltage drops. i have my PSU set to about 5.35V, of which the Pi is getting 5.1V (measured at the Pi's GPIO pins). less than 5.0V input and your Pi won't be stable, so keep that in mind

Holy shit so it's using as much as a lightbulb?

Mine is collecting dust since i already have a homeserver that does everything i need.

>user desribes his basement dwelling lighting

My kitchen light has 6 60W bulbs. My Pi uses 0.6A at 5V, so 3W with just a LAN cable plugged in and streaming videos.

>Nominally 0.6-1.0A, so >1W
0.6-1.0A is 3-5W you dufus.

Will keep in mind.
I'm looking at powering up to four Pis off one PSU, so I'm looking at the 50W range, hopefully that will give me enough head room to keep the voltage within the adjustable range.

>VPN
>on home network
literally why

Want one for a testing Web server particulary for trying out different tool chains and not having to mess stuff up on my main computer. I want another one for experimenting with the idea of using one as an out in the field server to collect data from sensors over a 425mhz wireless signal. Not sure how to start the second but it's all fun and games I suppose.

not him, but i've considered doing this so that i can access some sites (like 4chin) than are blocked on my network at my job

So that you can securely connect remotely and access resources at home?

OpenVPN server, Apache, personal applications.

I made a whole arcade machine out of it

>Sweat stains on the left
>Clean on the right
No friends eh?

Torrent seeding, cloud storage, web browsing proxy, retropie.

I also use one as a personal computer, easy to keep in a bag, and use on any TV with any keyboard and mouse laying around. I travel a lot and that's something very useful to me.

it's unsealed MDF. I have a finished one ready to go as long I feel like rewiring all the buttons

>6 60W bulbs
Incandescent or halogen?
Get on with the times, grandpa.

The only difference is the amount of light they produce, not the energy consumed.

Fluorescent and LED lights have greater efficiency at lower wattage, so making them 60W is retarded.

I use mine as an auto plant waterer and pet feeder.

It activates a smaller water pump to water the plants and dispenses a small amount of dried pellets at lunch for my cat. It also sends a message over pushbullet to my phone if an error occurs or if water or food is out

I'm about to have a 1Gb/s dl speed but it can only handle 10/100

Use an ODROID C2.

Why the fuck would anyone put up with the RPi and its pathetic I/O? It's like they TRIED to make the RPi complete shit.

True, but fluorescent and LED have their own issues.

I have a pi as a seedbox. Is it possible (and safe) to also install PiHole on it?

>but you should really be using a powered hub for anything more than a thumb drive.

why?

>dial-up users with 56k modems

>using raspberrypi to play 20 year old games
>not using it for home automation
literal manchildren

It depends what you emulate. Buffalo controller is good for the old ones.

pi zero - dev and robotics
pi 2 - webserver & RTL-SDR tcp/ip server
pi 3 - retropi / kodi & other media use

implying others are capable of such a feat, you forget this is a sales and shilling board, no longer a place for creativity and problem solving.

>le shig

Enjoy your game-breaking input lag.

>Holy shit
LE HOLY FUGGING SHIT DEWWWD

shut up, faggot

OpenHAB automation server with IR transceiver for my AC unit

Calm down, autismo

oneattached to my tv with xbox 360 controllerfor emulator gaming.
one as a download stationforusenet.

>fluorescent
mercury poisoning

>LED

I have one hanging on my printer so I can send an email with attachment and CUPS will just print it. A cloud printer is just one of the things I run on there though, I also run a squid cache and keep an encrypted partition on there for sensitive files

Media center running osmc. Just plays files from a local share. Kodi is comfy af

>why can't I power this kettle and charge my car battery over 5V 2A USB at the same time?
kys my man

I keep mine around as utility for temporary projects.

Last thing I used it for was setting up a streaming webcam and putting it on the top of some cabinets in my kitchen when there was a hurricane coming, that way I could log into it to see if I still had power/internet at my house and if my shit was getting fucked.

Luminous LEDs tend to produce a lot of heat and require circuits and voltage regulators aka controllers, which tend to blow out a lot causing the light to either strobe and flicker or go out.

video games for mine, might buy a temperature sensor and use it to monitor the temperature in my room as well so I can know if it feels good before I get home

How is the software support on orange pis? I wanna pick up a OrangePi zero but i heard that the loonix distros barely work on them

Thinking of getting into this.

What's the most inexpensive model I can get with the most bells and whistles. A friend of mine might need one.

It's shit, was gonna get one but looks like only armbian and retropie/osmc have support.
You gotta do some hackjob to get distros running on it by using months old guides while crossing your fingers and the kernel is also outdated as fuck.

Yes, model B, first gen

Absolutely nothing
I hoped to run a NAS with it, or emulators for a small arcade build
But it overheats (i am assuming) and freezes up rather quickly so there's little to no hope of it having any worthwhile uptime. I'm waiting on some heatsinks to see if that improves the situation

I plan to get an orange pi or something similar however

Still less heat and longer MTBF than incandescent bruh.

>home automation
Literally why

>tell the thing to switch off the lights for you
>wow i saved 10 seconds of the day, this is so useful!

nothing, i can't decide what i want to do with mine.

>But it overheats (i am assuming) and freezes up rather quickly
That's strange, by default Pi throttles when it reaches 80C to prevent damage

Maybe you're not feeding it enough voltage. I had to bring my pi to work one day and had to use about 4 meters of USB extension wires to connect it to an outlet, it'd freeze and turn off at random, presumably the length of the cable made the voltage drop too low.

At home it's just fine, I also have the first gen model B.

I wonder if it would be possible to utilize the Pi to passively make money for you, in a way that can be automated.

I found a bing rewards automation script however it uses pure http requests so you're likely to get banned after any amount of time.

So... at best you'll save like 10 days in a year. Great. I'm happy for you.

I'm planning on using mine as a server

Control an array of Arduinos to run my grow ops.

Mind sharing the script?

kodi

All day, every day.

Best $50 I ever spent.

Runs a bot to periodically post TRUMP GENERAL: xxxxxx EDITION threads to Sup Forums.

Iptables + Snort in IPS mode = decent security box for my network.

This sounds like a pain in the ass and an indication you might have some life issues that you can't leave your electronics when you're out.

Huh, that may be it
I've tried running it off of a cable plugged into my PC as well as a wall outlet.
When it halts however, the screen stays as an image of whatever was last shown

I've heard that it can be used for home automation. Also in conjunction with the Google home. Has anyone done something like this?

Absolutely nothing. Got it for Christmas but only set it up. I haven't conceived a project for it as of yet.

Seedbox and OSMC

Pi-hole is a buggy piece of shit. Manually updating the hosts files wiped / twice

Get a 5V 2A (even better 2.5A) phone charger and you should be fine

>Was super hyped when it was first announced.
>Wanted to have one super bad, "for playing around".
>Thought about what I mean by "playing around".
>Realized that it will just land in a corner after a couple of hours.
>Never bought one.

Using my Raspi to record the temp of my house and send it to the Thing Internet.