Have an i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz with a GTX 1070

Have an i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz with a GTX 1070.

I think it's holding back the GTX 1070 in games like GTA V and Witcher 3 where it's hitting close to 100% utilization.

What upgrade path should I follow? I can just put in a i7 3770k, but is it worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8jUESmuy-XQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A lot of games are more GPU dependent than CPU dependent. Best to upgrade the GPU

I already have a GTX 1070.

3770k is a beast CPU. Have one in one of my machines and it still competes with skylake CPUs without any oc. Put an 212 evo or liquid cooling and you're set.

I went from a 2700k at 4.7ghz to a 6700k and it was a pointless waste of money. I also have a 1070. The processor is going to hit 100% utilization no matter what, the games use what resources are available to them.

The opposite has become more and more true in recent years. Namely because single core performance has largely stagnated and a shift towards building processors with more cores has taken place, while api's like directx and OpenGL were built for single core and were given haphazardly implemented augments for multicore.
So regardless of how beefy your cpu is, if special care hasn't been taken to improve scaling across several cores, it could easily become a bottleneck for very capable graphics cards.
This phenomenon was a key factor into AMD's efforts in developing mantle and assisting in the development of vulkan.
It's also a big contributing factor into dx12's performance benefits across many hardware configurations.

As for OP's question, the 3770k has a fair increase over the 2500k in single core performance and also benefits from hyperthreading in the somewhat rare cases games have been better optimized to make use of it.
However you should take care to insure your current mothboard can support it (I'm unfortunately not familiar enough with intel's chipsets to know if it is or not) and if it can handle overclocking it as that is the greatest feature of the k series parts.
Should this not be the case, weigh the cost to benifit ratio against getting something more modern or potentially waiting to see how the release of AMD's Zen line affects the current market.

Wait for Ryzen

And what are you even talking about? Unless you have a 144hz display there's no chance for a CPU bottleneck

I mean you don't just have a 1080p 60hz display do you?

Witcher 3 tends to use both cpu and gpu to their max though.

I'm running an i7-4790k and a GTX1080SC and they will both hit 100% utilization on Ultra with texture mods.

Kind of hijacking the thread - I am planning to put a 970 in a computer with an i3 2120T processor. Do you think the CPU will bottleneck the graphics card terribly? The computer's PSU is a 600W, that should be enough, right? I might be able to swap the i3 for a 2600K in the future.

What do you already have?

This guy show some benchmark of the first i3
youtube.com/watch?v=8jUESmuy-XQ

i'm a faggot

I have a 980Ti in my main computer (6700K) now and am going to put it in what has the 970 (4770K). The third computer has no graphics card and the 2120T. My plan is to buy a 1080Ti to replace my 980Ti, put the 980Ti in the 4770K box and the 970 with the 2120T. Thanks for the video, will check it out.

Do you even have a 4k or 1440p 144hz main display?

Three 2560*1440 (60Hz) displays, but that's beside the point. I will find use for the extra GPU power, trust me.

So buy a better GPU

Neither GTA nor Witcher 3 hit 100% on my 4970k

Just save your money man, unless you actually try to came across 3 1440p displays

might as well wait to see what Vega offers as well, since you could always replace that triple set up with a single 3440x1440p high refresh rate display, that's bound to be cheaper with free-sync

Disable the Windows defender background service and that will free up quite a bit. If you're nervous about doing that, just look at performance manager and look for hungry processes

It's Hillary in her 20s

Who is this system daemon?

Nigger faggot are you fucking retarded?

move to something with more PCI-e lanes available for the GPU either haswell skylake or kabylake

haswell has about 8 pci-e 2.0 lanes while skylake has 16 pci-e 3.0 lanes. the chipsets have additional lanes the z170x has 4 additional lanes so you can have an m.2 SSD to go with your 1070 giving skylake 20 pci-e 3.0 lanes.

skylake also has DMI 3.0 which is much faster than the haswell DMI 2.0, you have DMI 1.0. DMI 3.0 has a transfer rate of 3.93 GB/s DMI 2.0 2GB/s and DMI 1.0 1.16 GB/s. These are speeds at which the northbridge can talk to the southbridge or how fast your mobo can talk to your CPU.

now that's just all on paper, in real life performance as of right now you won't see much of a difference between haswell and skylake but there is an appreciable difference between sandy bridge and haswell of about ~10% performance improvement.

I recently upgraded from that cpu, it is a fucking beast I use it as a server now.

since nobody else ITT noticed it

we didnt have color when she was in her 20's

I'd still fuck the shit out of her pussy with my penis, if you know what I mean.

>not being gay/MGTOW in 2016

No one gives a shit you autistic fagfor.

When will a 3570k be a bottleneck?