/sqt/ - Stupid Question General

I'm fucking drunk edition

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11971437
git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/tree/src/compositor/plugins/default.c
youtu.be/-CpcaowJZQA
skidrow-codex.com/final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster-codex/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

can we expect manufacturers of non-reference envidia and EY Em dee cards to release versions with DVI-I ports ?
also small strawpoll
strawpoll.me/11971437

I ran the error checking tool (the one in the tools tab on the properties window) on one of my hard drives and it told me it found some errors that needed to be fixed. The log shows 92 lines like this one.
Found corrupt basic file structure for "\Files\video.mp4 "
... queued for offline repair.
one for each file.

After letting it fix the errors I found out that each file listed in the log is now a 0 byte file that can't be opened. The files are not important but while this 92 files are now 0 bytes in size, my hard drive's free space did not change.

Why did this happen? Can I do anything about it?

what are some good websites to learn coding ? preferably with an option to use EU Spanish (not latin american spanish if possible.

Can anyone recommend a good BASIC interpreter emulation for use on either Mac or PC? I want to go be stupid and comfy while I smoke week for a week. I want to play.

Ideally something that emulates either TRS-80 or Commodore 64.

Anyone got the install gentoo ftp username and pass? There isn't anyone on IRC who will help me out

MPC-HC is no longer being updated with significant unfixed bugs.

Is there a new suitable replacement for media playback on windows, or is MPV the new king?

PLS HELP

My cousin is working on some dual-monitor wallpapers.

We both have dual 1080p monitors.

What would be the best resolution.

I was thinking
3480 x 1080
3840 x 1080
Not sure

just downgrade
that's the only option unless you have differing heights or size/dpi

Reposting for posterity of new thread

>got my brother and my best friend RX 470 4GBs(same model) for Christmas
>both have the same CPU(FX8320), same default AMD cooler, same RAM(2X 4GB DDR3 RAM)
>only difference between the two is my brother has a full ITX mobo that was much more expensive than the mini-ITX my friend is running
>try to install my friends 470 and games crash every single time you start them up
>fuck with settings in Wattman, nothing works
>install both 470s, even the one meant for my brother, both have the same problem
>install my brothers 470 just now with no problems, everything seems to load faster on his computer(driver installation and games booting up) while my friends is slow as shit
>reinstall my friends 7870 and games boot up no problem

The problem must lie with my friends POS mobo right? I don't understand how both 470s can be having problems while his much older GPU is working just dandy

I recently got an email from AT&T telling me to upgrade my service with them before early February or I might risk technical interruptions/issues/etc. They've offered to upgrade me to U-verse in the past but Sup Forums has always sworn against u-verse, so I never bothered. However, this new email makes no mention of U-verse and just mentions that if I don't upgrade then I may lose service. Does anyone know exactly what effects the changes AT&T are planning to implement will have?

I've suffered with shitty internet for literally 10 years now, with no other options, and now AT&T is offering an upgrade for the same price that I currently pay, so needless to say I'm a bit suspicious that I'm going to get jewed very hard for only slightly less shitty service. Would appreciate any insight on the matter.

Examples of simple plugin for Mutter WM ???

Email the answers to me

Are there any good phone apps for learning programming languages?

Really, I can't find much information about what 'Found corrupt basic file structure' means and have no idea what chkdsk did to 'fix' the problem, if it even was a problem because I could open those files just fine before all this.

You'll have a bandwidth cap. That's it afaik. You can ask on DSLReports.

Install gentoo

What do you think of MPDN and Potplayer?

answer me

pls

I just got a new Android phone, and before I start doing stuff with it (shit posting, installing apps, rooting etc.) I want to make a nice, clean, backup of the phone so that if I ever have any problems, I can restore it. Will adb backup work for this, or is that not a complete backup? How should I do this?

I've been making hard drive images for years (first with Clonezilla, then Acronis), it seems like a sensible thing to do with mobile devices, too.

Kill yourself, you worthless piece of shit.

Which one should I go for?

why is BSD license a cuck license? are all free/open unix based OSes bound by that license and are thus doomed to failure

go back to best buy and get an iphone instead. you just spoke a bunch of gibberish when you could be sending emojis on imessage

im trying to see what a simple plugin for Mutter WM looks like. if you know of any please email them to me.

fruit / bean3

Why user, what did I do to make you so angry?

>go back to best buy and get an iphone instead. you just spoke a bunch of gibberish when you could be sending emojis on imessage

It's alright, if it sounded like gibberish it's probably a little over your head. Don't worry! You'll pick up on this stuff eventually!

doesn't seem to be correct

How much more practical is using an old Mac Pro as a file server over FreeNAS?

You were born, you fucking shit stain.

Did mommy forget to buy you tendies?

How can I rice of linux desktop?

Aside from size, any noticeable quality differences between webm and mp4? Also the only other thing I can think of is that I'm guessing webm can't be played on a phone's video player.

this is the answer to my question:

git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/tree/src/compositor/plugins/default.c

so you can just go ahead and forget about emailing me.

oh an another thing - be careful wtih these android phones. they are a sinking ship so you could spend a lot of time on something that may be dropped tomorrow. just look at CyanongenMod

Should my set up be doing as bad as it is?

I have pic related as my GPU (HD 7870), 8gb of RAM and an AMD 6300 processor. I built this PC about 4 years ago so I don't expect it to be a supercharged machine, but I'm having trouble doing the simplest of tasks. After Effects and Premiere are torture to work with, I keep getting low memory warnings and programs keep crashing and I just tried to play Doom on medium settings with everything turned down and it's still glitching out every two seconds.

Should I think about upgrading or does this sound like something that could be fixed?

If I were to switch to Windows 10 today (from W7), what would I lose in terms of gaming and compatibility? What's been broken?

Windows 10 is the worst Windows I've ever had going back to 98. It breaks more and more with each passing day. Never switch to it.

take the leap over to mac.

youre going to have a great time. i guarentee it

by 6300 do you mean FX-6300? should have saved for at least a FX-8320 dude.
have you tried the Vulkan mode ? there should be an option for it.
if u want to upgrade it would be better to wait for Zen because even if you want intel, it will be much cheaper after zen

i have an integrated CPU motherboard that doesnt come with any fan, just a decent heatsink for the CPU.
Should I install case fans? im scared it will overheat, im just web browsing and its 42 ÂșC

>I'm guessing webm can't be played on a phone's video player.
Works on android

yeah Doom will work great

Since no one answered, I'll cut to the chase.

I want to image my Android phone like I would a PC hard drive. How do I make it happen?

DVI-I is dying quick, current AMD GPUs don't have the silicon for analogue outputs now so it costs extra for the GPU manufacturer to add in a DAC if they want it.

DVI-D will probably stick around a while for at least some non-reference models of each GPU.

FreeNAS is an OS, a Mac Pro is a computer, how can you compare them?

If you mean OS X as your OS, it's fine. FreeNAS has some nice data resilience features and a web based interface that's easy to work with remotely, but really, any OS is fine if it can host whatever services you want.

Hueg poorfag from down under here.

Recently splashed and got myself a STRIX RX 480, wouldn't fit in my mid tower but for some reason when I was looking in the basement for tin snips I found the guts of an old case that was just big enough for the 480. I think it was an old Gigabyte machine's case.
Anyway it's awful, there's nothing but the most basic metal structure (fuck knows where the rest is), the PSU is at the top and my 480 sits an inch off the base of the case, I'm currently flopping my drives out the back of it.

Can any airflow masters give tips for cooling a shell of a case? I have an old Proliant ML 350 G4P I stole from work full of deltas sitting in the basement so I have access to some decent fans.
Do I just duct tape some to the front and some to the back? Pull from front, push out back? Am willing to tape shit anywhere btw.

Also my 8320 appears to be bottlenecking games, I get nasty usage spikes on the 480, I've managed to overclock it to 4.3Ghz but it heats up SUPER FAST and frames are back to shit.
I need a temporary solution because the 480 emptied my spending account.
But I'm looking at throwing $250 dollarydoos at liquid cooling and a nice case in a month or so, any recommendations?

Is factory-recertified a big deal?

Getting a new internal HDD. Should I go 7200 RPM or is 5400 passable?

Should be way better than that. Reinstall your OS, make sure temperatures are all okay.

You can't really.

You're probably fine with just the airflow from the PSU fan.

Why is Tiger so comfy?

OR a Toshiba HDD (2tb @ 7200 RPM)
OR a Seagate one (Same thing)

My options are limited because I'm going to get them in-store.

Trying to stream VVVVVV on Twitch using OBS. Question: How would I go about only recording the audio the game makes? Every time I use the Default or "Soundflower 2ch/64ch", I get background noises showing up (and I only want/need the game audio)... Any help?

Really? Neat-o. Thanks.

Not sure where else to turn since Sup Forums was useless, here goes

Pirated FFX/X2HD for PC and up until today it was working perfectly. Now for some reason the launcher starts but the games themselves do not.
I've tried opening as admin from the folders themselves and reinstalling but nothing. Does anyone have any clue why this could be happening?

Does mixing same sized ram but at different frequencies matter if it's just going to be downclocked to 2133?

I've done something stupid and wish to rectify it.

I installed win10 on the weekend and fucked around a bit to try to get everything nice and tidy, having my os on an ssd and bulky files on an hdd. Today, I wanted to move the Desktop, Downloads, Documents, ect... to the HDD since all downloads were coming into the SSD C: drive, so I went into properties to move the desktop to the HDD D: and it deleted some shit, nothing important but I couldn't revert it. It was fine for the Downloads and Documents folder but I deleted some programs that I can't reinstall now.

My question is if I want to do a fresh start, do I use the setting options within windows to "refresh" my pc or boot from bios on the usb I used to install in the first place?

And also how to not be retarded when trying to get most of my shit into the HDD instead of the SSD, like documents/desktop/downloads?

Sup Forums
My mom's laptop has bluetooth. I have bluetooth on this computer with a USB.

windows 7 sees it just fine but nothing wants to connect to it right. It sees my ear buds, phone and speaker but wont use anything.

Also her PC allows her to pair her phone to her PC as a bluetooth earbud, is there a driver for that?

Lately my computer has been randomly, (but not very frequently,) shutting itself off. Or at least seemingly. It's more like it's gone into rest mode but can't be woken up. The display stops, no mouse or key activity will bring it back up, and the computer remains on until I hard shut down.
This happens without warning, maybe once every few days or so, or even once a week. Not very frequent, but it's worrying.

Can anyone tell me the likely culprit? Or is it one of those things that could be any one of a ton of different issues?

And before anyone mentions viruses and the like, all my programs have scanned and found nothing.

>And also how to not be retarded when trying to get most of my shit into the HDD instead of the SSD, like documents/desktop/downloads?

I was in a similar situation and ended up just doing a symbiotic link

Check your temps, maybe something is overheating? What exactly are you doing when it does that? Gaming, browsing, cpu intensive work, nothing at all...?

So many things.
Try starting with a reinstall. Just run it with a different disk for the time it usually takes to shit the bed.
I've had a similar problem that wound up being the PSU. Could be your RAM though.

Anyone know a program that can tag folders just like a booru would? I'm trying to sort my collections and be able to find folders with a certain tag just by search

A little late for me I think. I had a few things that worried me since a lot of downloads from browsers automatically go to the C: drive, although I could adjust browser and torrent settings. I tried to move the desktop to the HDD and that is the only one that fucked up and had its contents deleted.

I went back to windows 7 from Windows 10 and have been seeing some odd behavior, the audio and video would stutter for a second then return back to normal (this happens mostly when watching videos and happens every 30 minutes or so), well I looked more into it and messed around with my WLAN card and found when pushing the antenna towards the motherboard, then the worse and more frequent (about every 5 seconds) the stutter would happen. I did the same with my phone and the exact same thing happened. Anybody have a explanation of what's going on here?

Currently writing a filesystem based around this. Not ready to go public yet so I'm not being helpful at all, but just saying there's something in the pipes. I'll make a thread in a month or so when it's usable.

Thanks, user. I'll be waiting for it

I think it's my GPU, actually. It seems it's been running unusually hot lately and it would explain the manner of the crash.

I'll try cleaning it and making sure the fan is working. Are there any other things I should do to make sure my GPU is working properly?

Are you using a skylake cpu? Intel skylakes have a known compatibility issue with 7, as if you're being forced to consider 10 by making 7 unbearably horrid.

Reapp the thermal paste if you're brave and have some around.

Make sure it's seated properly. Sometimes you might not notice but you may have not pushed it fully into the PCIe lane.

cheapest way to get w10 without pirating and without being assfucked by shady non-microsoft companies?

worth it to just use the media installer and not have a licence key for a while?

In recovery you can backup system and data. You could also use Titanium Backup for data. Android is different. You were being lambasted because the question is sort of silly and naive.

That sounds likely. I'm bad with hardware and always feel paranoid about breaking shit so I'm not very firm with connecting things to the motherboard sometimes.

Another thing worth adding though is it seems to run unusually hot while I'm in Chrome, for some reason. I'm currently cutting down my tabs to see if that helps but it seems weird that it's fine when idle but Chrome can make it run as hot as a Steam game does.

Nope, using a sandy. I may just be stupid and something else is happening :/

Thank you for the serious reply. I'm curious, why IS Android different? It uses drive partitions just like any other OS, why is it such an odd-ball thing to want to copy/backup/move the partitions?

Nothing happens when I try to get my windows forms program to select text in a textbox. I'm using C#. I've tried it two ways:

myTextBox.SelectionStart = 0;
myTextBox.SelectionLength = 2;

myTextBox.Select(0, 2);

It just stays the same, nothing happens. what the fuck?

Would an antistatic bracelet keep me from shocking my cat's nose?

I took the antenna off and it's worse now. Here is a video of it.

youtu.be/-CpcaowJZQA

(Sorry for audio!)

>What are display makers going to do past 4/8K

We're reaching the limit of what's humanly possible to see, what will they do when they can't just keep moving forward with resolution? Concentrate on colour rendering? Then what?

Are we getting close to an age with a perfected technology? Has that ever happened before?

>
I think there will always be something to improve on. I would hope that the next thing for monitors is working on making them less physically straining to look at.

You're not really supposed to touch the os. OEMs do everything to keep it locked down and it can be tightly coupled with the hardware. Apps don't suffer from this, so you deal with backing them up. That said, Android has various partitions you can manipulate and backup. I'm mostly talking about the user stuff. It might help to study Android's architecture a bit.

probably working on making curved / ultrawide screens the norm

>connect tv box to crt tv and 1080p monitor
>crt tv picture looks beautiful
>monitor picture looks colorless and pixelated
How come this happened?

I imagine the next step beside stuff like HDR, IPS, 240 Hz, and crazy form factors will be making the smart tv smarter. Cramming better hw and sw into a flat screen.

oh...

Could you tell us how the game is cracked?

I'm not sure that ff10 doesn't have weird DRM or it's linked to a steam account.

I have an mkv movie with more then one subtitles in it, how can I view two of them at the same time?
remember it's not a separate file

Maybe you could run the subs with two different filters.

Hello,
I need to configure this AP: Zyxel NWA1100 for extend a WiFi coverage, such as a range extender, with this model can I do this?....
Here it is the user guide: ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/NWA1100/user_guide/NWA1100_1.pdf

Thanks

Not sure of the specifics but it was cracked by these guys
skidrow-codex.com/final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster-codex/

that meme about Windows 10 actively making pirated games not run after a while isn't true right

How about emulator of Commodore 64?

in a thread about FreeSync, G-Sync and other shit a couple days ago someone posted a pic that recommended activating another option to make pictures run more fluently
I don't remember the name of it and what exactly it did but I'm interested now
something that makes movement seem like on a CRT or something
anyone any idea what I'm talking about?

ok found it, it's called ULMB

What's a filter?

I would say back up your shit, save personal files elsewhere and do a clean install of windows 7.

Before that, check to see if you have any drivers you need to update.

Getting a new CPU cooler soon - do I use some arctic silver I have lying around or should I use the pre applied paste on the cooler?

The preapplied stuff should be fine.

hello fellow Sup Forums,
since i don't wanna make a new thread for this. i am gonna ask here.
media and media server drain battery like crazy. many people on internet complained about it but no actual solution.
that ever happened to you? how can i fix it? help me.

Is there a universal Qi receiver that is turbocharge compatible?

I already tried this, all my drivers are updated.

MSI motherboard?