/pcbg/ - PC Building General: Sponsored by AMD™ Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5811#ov
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck off generals need to die, if you can´t build a pc you should fuck off to reddit

do lower ram timings equate to a significant performance improvements when it comes to ddr4? how big of a jump would i see from a set of 15-15-15-15 @3200mhz vs a standard 16-16-16-16 @ 2400mhz. I'm looking for improvements in terms of rendering videos and 3D rendering.

Is there an autism section for the mentally challenged? You would fit in well.

What's a good budget graphics card that probably won't be used that much?
I don't really play games on PC that require a GPU. It's mostly used intensively for emulation and some game dev stuff.

750ti. I don't really know the AMD equivalent.

They're more expensive than I was hoping for.
Right now I've got an RX 460 which has double the memory for around the same price but I won't use the card that much .

My specs:

I5 6600k (scared to OC because I don't understand much about it, so I permanently ramped it to 3.9ghz)
H115i
16gb DDR4-2400
Gigabyte, Z170, SLI board
1060 Gaming X 6gb
Strix 970 (mostly used for mining)
600w PSU
240gb boot SSD
2x1.5tb HDD's for storage
Blu-ray drive
Black Phantom 530
Razer Naga, 2014
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, 2016
Pair of cheap, but nice, bassy speakers
27" 1080p main monitor
1280 by 1024 secondary

Not an amazing build, but more than enough to be relevant for several years.
Thoughts?

Here is my updated high end pc build. Any glaring flaws?

When I get my pc it's going to be placed on the ground with a carpet. It's not a shag carpet or anything it's flat but I was wondering is that bad for the computer?

also I don't know why the monitor says zero dollars..it said I purchased it but I'm pretty sure I didn't so I don't know what that is about...

i fucked off to youtube, then 10,000 review sites, and now im back.

oh god that motherboard lol

GAMING

more like

SCAMMING

and and over kill psu for a build that wont even need more than 400w max.

just scrap that build son.

>Using air cooling for a "k" CPU
The fuck are you planning doing, a 200mhz OC?
Go with water cooling. Better for higher overclocks requiring a lot more power going through the CPU.

>water cooling
>being any better than a high end air cooler.

think again fucko.

Has anyone ever bought Windows off Kinguin?
Is it legit?

over 400w bud. How is the motherboard a scam?

>In a thread about PC building
>Not know that water is more thermally conductive than air

but there is more air in my room than water and ive got this big fucken heatsink with fans.

what does that board have that you need?

LEDs!

xDDDDDDDDDDDD amirite like OMG?

Build is mediocore and buying an unlocked CPU but not overclocking it is stupid.

Doesn't matter. Water being much more thermally conductive, and easily putting the warmth from that water into the atmosphere via a nice sized rad, will always provide better temps, especially when overclocking.

>Implying I'm not learning about overclocking
I'm nervous that I may break something I put a couple hundred bucks in. I do plan on OC'ing the thing, but I've had it for less than a week.

Are there any known Sup Forums recommended guides out there for setting up dual monitors?

Max amount you should spend on a MB is 100€. If you dont want to OC and have 1 GPU a 50€ one is more than enough. I always cringe at retards that spend more for their MB than for their GPU and CPU

wtf do you need a guide for retard? put in the cables in the gpu and connect them to the monitors

Good water cooling will. Most AIO's are utter shite that can't beat those top end air coolers.

Shit like resolutions and what to do when common shit happens like a video on the second monitor slowing down games or shit on the first monitor.

It's stupid.
Mobo is just retarded, cooler is minimum for i7 OC, 3000 RAM is cheaper, that's a budget case, don't get it for such a build. If your PSU isn't G2, get the G2, Keyboard is trash.
Also, do NOT listen to this retard: Noctua NH-D15 shits on most AIO coolers.
This is also stupid. There's nothing wrong with buying more expensive mobos if you're going to use them, just don't buy meme (((GAMING))) trash.

Well, I get about 14°c idle, even with it permanently at 3.9ghz. I'll see how far I can push the thing later, when I'm not nervous I'll break the thing.

>Well, I get about 14°c idle

No, you don't. Unless you live in siberia that is.

provided your cooler isn't made from cheese, it's literally a case of going into the bios and changing the multiplier/ratio to something else. you could probably just type in 42, save and exit and change nothing else and it'll work perfectly.

then once you learn a bit more you can start trying to push it more/changing voltages etc.

I don't mind posting pics, if necessary.
Room is shit right now because family members bright their kids. Expect temps around 18°c.

>I get about 14°c idle
lol no

The temperature sensor on your CPU claiming that it's at 14C is different from it actually being at 14C. Those things are notoriously inaccurate at low temperatures.

>getting sub-ambient temps

lrn 2 thermodynamics.

Stop trying to meme the poor retard into buying a """""premium"""""" NZXT/Corsair case you autist.

Also, OP said hes not gonna OC, why should he buy anything but a 50€ mb?

>over 400w

thats what you get for buying shitty power hungry components.

Chroma's left click will die in a year.
PSU if you are going this high end, why shit out on the PSU. >G2 or go home.
Motherboard is over priced junk.
Your PC case is utter funking cancer.

I'm considering a downsize from my Define R5 as it turns out that I don't play PC games all that often and having such a big case that I will never fill is a meme. I'm thinking the Define C would be good since it lets me keep the rest of my components. I am however, looking for a premium build case that's fairly compact with good storage capability, solid top panel, and dust filters. I don't like case windows, but modding can fix that.

>400w

When slammed my system probably pulls best part of 600w and i'm only using a single cpu and gpu. I had so much fun overclocking this lot and the shenanigans I had to pull to get there.

I could push 5ghz on the cpu but the mobo can't take it unless I have it on an open bench with more dedicated vrm cooling.

I never said anything about NZXT/Corsair you autistic retard.
>OP said hes not gonna OC
No he didn't say that you illiterate retard.

I want to make a Vaporwave-ish PC with nice fucking a s t h e t i c s.

>scared to OC because I don't understand much about it
I'm the opposite.

I'm putting my 2500k to its limit, not caring if it breaks so that I'd get a justification to be a consumer whore and buy a new CPU but it's a warrior. Running at 4.7GHz 24/7, still not broken (its over 5 years old now)

Budget build that user from last thread helped me with.
Mostly going to be used for emulation and game dev stuff. What's the consensus?

>emulation
>i3

Dude...

Once I get my zen build up and running my venerable 8320e is going to do a suicide run - I will rig up loads of my spare fans (including several high rpm delta fans), bust out a truly ancient gpu I have (assuming it even works) and simply clock the cpu as high as it can go. With a bit of luck I will break 5ghz on a motherboard no way in hell rated for the sort of power draw that will require (I suspect just shy of 1.5v).

Not for PC, but what's the verdict on SSHDs?

I am considering a 1TB one for my PS4, but I generally don't trust Seagate

Hybrid drives are terrible.

Not sure about how the timing affects the performance, but Mhz itself does have an effect with this stuff.

Won't be emulating anything more than GameCube games at most. My old laptop could run Melee almost perfectly.

So I'm in the process of buying a new PC (CPU, RAM, Mobo) since my current mid-range self-built from ~2007 just isn't as fast as I'd like anymore. I'll be using my old ATI 4870 and the other components/peripherals of the old PC.

The decisive performance intensive applications are graphics and photography work, namely running Lightroom, Photoshop, and Illustrator usually at the same time while having a browser with a dozen tabs open.

Ideally, I would use Linux and have the Adobe programs run in a VM as seamlessly as possible; as the seamlessness is an important aspect, I'm not sure about that yet.

tl:dr;
>Adobe suite with large and many files, possibly inside a VM

Right now I'm thinking 16-32 GB DDR4, with a 120GB SSD, which ever speeds fit in my budget.
What I'm wondering is: i5 or i7? What will be the likely performance bottleneck? # of threads, single thread performance, or amount, or speed of ram?

Also, not really the topic of this thread, but if anyone has experience with Adobe products running virtualized, I gladly read it.

How much space do you really need?
If it's just 1TB you should go with a pure SSD instead, fucker.

>drive wood

I overclocked a 6600k to 4.4GHz yesterday, I think I accidentally underclocked it too and it crashed upon startup a few time. Setting the voltage back to "auto" didn't do anything so I just set it to 1.25v (it started off as 1.2v and online says don't go above 1.3v)
Now it's working perfectly, but now that I actually did fuck with voltages I'm scared to do it again. I increased my voltage, does that mean 4.5GHz might work where it didn't before?

"no"

I accidentally undervolted it at first*

Gaming motherboards usually only cost a bit more than the non-gaming (doesn't have as many VRM heatsinks that are yes usually gaymer styled)

You buy a gaming motherboard because it does perform better.

You probably can't recommend one good motherboard with overclocking without asking to get the DELUXE EXTREME CAD $400 ASUS

Just pay $130 for the gaymen motherboard that allows you to OC

A 1TB SSD is too expensive, especially for a PS4. I just need an upgrade from a 500GB.

Why are they terrible?

Gigabyte Z170X-UD3/5. There you go.

>CAD
A. FUCKING. LEAF.

Horrible reliability, speeds not comparable to SSD at all, and worse price/GB than HDDs
Basically the worst parts of both HDDs and ssds

that's basically a gaymen motherboard right there

ATX is really the only place they will put the gaymen features on your regular motherboard anyway with all the extra spice

if you go mATX or even mITX you wont have any fucking heatsinks unless you buy specifically gaming

you're fucking wrong it loads game files faster which is what most people buy it for

>heatsink equals gaming
Leave this board right now.

that's exactly what it means when they partition what each motherboard is going to be designed for

The mATX version of what he posted has classy black and yellow heatsinks
But I will agree that motherboard manufacturers really like to save their good bits (like gagabyte and all full x16 PCIe slots) for their expensive gay men boards with red paint

The Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 is what i got recently because it was well reviewed for Overclocking and had a lot of power phases, so it wont break for a while.

UD3 is essentially the same.

Most major brands have similar boards at those prices.

No it's not and you are retarded. If you can't supress your canadian urge to shitpost i suggest you go to Sup Forums or leddit.

Of course it's much faster than an HDD but it's not reliable in the long term, NOWHERE near as fast as a straight SSD and there would be absolutely no reason to get it of you could connect two drives
Just get an SSD and an USB
expansion HDD

>upgrade potato for muh gaymes
>get more excited while picking parts, waiting a week for them to arrive, and building it than actually utilizing it for gaming
I will probably just return to exclusively shitposting and musiclistenan with it in less than a week.

pro-tip

gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5811#ov

this is what i was referring to with your autism for "professional" and "business" branded stuff. They are just as overpriced.

What's the difference between "desktop" and "surveillance" hard disks?
Surveillance seem to have lower RPM and cost slightly more, is that the only difference?

You cherry picked a gaming mobo with fucking LEDs on it. You might as well have chosen the Asus Pro Gaming Aura.
All gaming mobos are overpriced because of the name tag, normal high-end mobos are not. You should also realize the higher the price the worse it's cost effectiveness, regardless of the name.
You think that only gaming mobos have good features and heatsinks and that is just wrong and stupid.

The WD purps are designed to be writing 24/7 and are not designed to be fast or powered off every day

Not that user, but I actually reached an idle temp of 14°C a while ago in Scotland with an air-cooled system.
It was pretty fucking cold that day.

Thoughts on the Node 304? I want a compact case with good cooling and drive support.

PS4 doesn't support external drives. USB for save data backup and an external for system backup + format is about it.

from the little that i know about the different types of harddrives you are going to want a Desktop harddrive if youre going to be using a single HDD for regular storage. Since they likely have software built into them to correct Errors. where other harddrives, like Enterprise, are built to be put in Raid, where Errors arent as important since there are redundancies. So if you get errors, it wont fix them.

My PS3 did just fine, I actually had an external drive constantly plugged in and taped to my console and it werked

This isn't a PS3.

Him again.
Would it be worth dropping the GPU to a 2GB one if it's not going to be used all that much? Or would the 4GB be a good investment anyway? Any money from that would go towards a better processor/motherboard.

All right made some adjustments. Keeping the gaming motherboard because it improves performance....apparently. It seems to trigger some of ya'll. Got rid of the "budget" case, changed keyboard and mouse. I heard some complaints about the cooler- will it suffice? Case comes with three fans.

Thanks again for guiding me through this process guys.

Never go lower than 4GB retard

Then get a PS3 and install gentoo
Or use a PC with multiply SATA ports
Either way SSHDs are trash and your money is ultimately your responsibility

>$396 motherboard
I take back what I said about top tier features being only on gaymen boards, your choice is fucking retarded and the $120 equivalent will be just as capable

>is X better than Y
It all depends on what you want from it, we told you this yesterday and we tell it today.
Imho your main problem is that you don't know what you want. If you're on a tight budget and fear that an i3 won't cut it i suggest you get an i5 and use the iGPU for now.
You can always get a dedicated GPU later on. Also get a used 24" monitor if money is an issue, all my 3 BenQ's are used and in good condition, saved me good money.

why

>$396.98

what the fuck are you even doing

You retard are immune to any kind of advice whatsoever. No idea why you keep posting here.

Wtf is a PS3 going to do for him when the question is about a PS4

What is Sup Forums's thoughts on wireless KB/M?

Sad! I've made changes what else needs to be done? I'm getting a different motherboard..

Get yourself a far cheaper fucking motherboard, you don't need one that's fucking $400.
Change the size of RAM you have to 16GB, you probably don't need 32GB.

As for the wattage on that PSU, I haven't measured the watts required to use that system, but it seems a bit much. Try using this website to give yourself a rough idea if you truly need 850W:
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I did this to 4.3 and haven't had any issues.
Just be sure to turn off intel speedstep or some shit like that.

Allow him to install Gentoo which will fix all of his current and future computer problems

You are an idiot.

I don't know

>he can't even install Gentoo on his "modern" console
>he didn't get $53 from sony just for installing Gentoo on his PS3 years ago

laser or optical mouse?