I have a statement to make, Sup Forums

I have a statement to make, Sup Forums.

I deplore the unbridled temerity of the VLC programmer … he haughtily eschews opportunities to present the correct answer (as Venkat Eswarlu so graciously did here) … and he does that here and in other venues.

Today (in December 2016) I spent valuable time ascertaining the source of and getting rid of this undocumented non-pre-approved nonsense. I checked whether VLC had improperly accessed my net connection to do an unauthorized update. I learned that it had not done that, and then learned that the programmer had lied by omission.

He put in a functionality whereby my machine was directed to do something he wanted it to do that I did not want it to do . Nowhere in his documentation does he disclose that his program set will do that. Nowhere in the install process does he show any concern whatsoever about user preferences regarding the matter.

I will never again trust that programmer to not be nonchalantly self-indulgent and casually dismissive regarding the sovereignty of users over their machines.

A programmer who puts unauthorized non-pre-announced surprises in his code arrogantly violates the trust of the user and so casts programmers into disrepute.

I am grateful to the programmer for his excellent program; however, I am incensed at his high-handed contemptuous imperiousness in presenting an unannounced date-triggered behavioral change surreptitiously.

I am a programmer and I would NEVER deliberately insert a surprise behavior in a program. If its really so irrepressibly cute, give the installer an option to allow or disallow cutesy on-the-fly customizations sneaked in by the programmer. Programs are always inexorable commanders to the machine and so should always be absolutely abject servants to the user who owns the machine.

I still think VLC is the best program set of its kind but I detest the damnable disdain exhibited by the programmer for the authority over their machines of the persons using his programs.

8/10 vocabulary
4/10 grammar
May I recommend a dedicated class on shitposting?

Nice blog xD

>VLC
It's shit. There is literally no reason to use that garbage. MPC-HC exists on Windows, and MPV exists on Linux. Use one of those instead (MPV is shit too though, make sure you compile it without LUA support or malicious video files will exploit your shit).

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

*tips fedora*

>retard detected

>VLCtard detected

mpv is better than mpc-hc in terms of playback quality. mpc-hc + madvr brings it to about equal.

So... fork it maybe?

Decorating your writing with a bunch of multi-syllabic adjectives lowers the comprehension of your message.

OP's tl;dr: I'm a cunt - don't read this.

But it's still shit, and no one on Earth has tools to compile it from source without LUA support on Windows.

>retard detected

>I don't get the joke

>MPVtard detected

>MPV is shit too though, make sure you compile it without LUA support or malicious video files will exploit your shit

Care to explain?

he cant, he's full of shit

>he cant, he's full of shit
lel

There were videos on Sup Forums that have malformed parameters that allow the video to run LUA code even if you don't tell it to run it with command line arguments. The videos also had exploits for VLC in them, but they just used buffer overflows. The MPV exploit didn't use a buffer overflow, or if it did it wasn't being caught by Linux' SSP.

so we just have to take your word for it? cool

>downloading videos off Sup Forums

>thinking it's so outlandish that there's an exploit for a shitty program written by shitty devs
New exploits are discovered for Android and Linux weekly. Bash had a 20 year old bug. The reason that your shitty video players aren't seeing public exploits is that there's no fucking market for it. The only reason people find and use them is to catch pedophiles, and the exploits from those videos are 2+ years old now.

Holy fuck, the autism, hahahahah

Then it wouldnt be outlandish to assume there are exploits for mpc-hc aswell. Especially since its windows only, and most people target windows.

MPC-HC is programmed by professionals so there aren't any exploits for it.

lol

I take it you havent searched for mpc-hc exploits have you? I've found a few already.

Someone's been hitting the thesaurus

>or if it did it wasn't being caught by Linux' SSP.
MPV hardcodes it's cflags/opts In waf crap (env variables do nothing), I tried adding stack protection strong and it straight up fails to build. With networking support MPV is a security nightmare unless you jail/sandbox it.

This explains why mpv has been shilled on this board so much and has Windows builds conveniently hosted on SourceFraud.

quality shitpost OP

Step away from the dictionary, boy. You are having trouble using the big words. It comes across as awkward and try-hard. Now, retype that post in plain English, mmmmkay?

MPC-HC doesn't run arbitrary scripts.

>what is scriptless exploits
MPC-HC uses ffmpeg like every other mainstream player, since the last stable release of it tons of ffmpeg exploits has been published.

It's that word of the day toilet paper. I got one for Christmas too.

Which doesn't mitigate LUA exploits in MPV.

Neither it mitigates MPC-HC API exploits.

>MPC-HC
It's shit. There is literally no reason to use that garbage. MPC-BE exists

please die

wtf, I hate vlc now!