Programming basics

I want to learn how to not be a useless shit. Are these good books to start with?
I'm getting a loan to go back to school since I'm 22 and fucked my early life up. Any advice on getting a career as a programmer/software engineer would be appreciated.
I'm looking at automated testing as well with some info my dad tells me about since he is an AGILE project manager in D.C.

Other urls found in this thread:

edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x
ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/
edx.org/course/how-code-systematic-program-design-part-ubcx-spd1x
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Check out the mit opencourseware with python and how to think like computer scientist with python.
Then try some of Bjarne Stroustrups beginner books on c++. Then you can move to whatever you want.
Thats how I learned the most at least.

I'll check those out! I've got 3ish years before I get a degree so I want to be as knowledgeable and prepared before I start looking for internships in my area and the D.C. Area

The best book I ever read as a beginner was Practice and Principles using C++ by Bjarne even if you dont plan to do c++ I think its a great book. It starts you on a path to learning things that are important later on in your education. I've been programming for a few years and I'd still look back through it if I hadnt given it away.

>Practice and Principles using C++
shit fucked that title all up just look at the picture

That sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the advice!

No problem. I'd start with python or something similar for a week or two before you get into that book if you have no programming experience. It's more difficult than your average beginner book but is worth it imo.

That Python book is the best book on Python you'll find. Never read the other one though.

>22
You're already too old grandpa. It's too late for you

Elaborate.

I think he's just making fun. You haven't fucked up your early life, youve just started it.

This. I'm in the same boat OP. Work hard and make good choices and things will work out, or so they tell me. Good luck bredda

I was in the same situation as you at the same age. Go to your local community college and talk to a counselor to set your education path. Get your 2 year degree and then transfer to a 4 year university. Learn and do things (work, volunteer, etc) to help yourself to your goal. I did that. I am working in Silicon Valley in a stable job making $100k+, married with kids, and bought a house in the valley several years ago. It won't be easy, but it's doable.

If you like your dad are in DC, I'd learn Java or C#/.NET. They are meme languages but have a huge install base in this area.

Python I wouldn't even bother with around here unless you also have a head for math and statistics.

Self-study/open courseware/MOOCs are trash unless you are extremely self-motivated, which you probably aren't. Motivation is social for most people - you pick up on the social cues of those around you in a room. Classroom time is important for 99% of people.

Community college is under-rated.

program atleast 4 hours a day. Learning to program counts has programming.

also, have fun. Program thing that you will find satisfying to do. Might not always be the case when having a job~

edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

Probably easier then reading a book because motivation,I'd stay away from python unless you have damn good resources because most stuff learns you bad habits.
Also this is pretty damn good to learn ; ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/

>books that teach language syntax instead of teaching you how to write programs
Those books are both useless for you, OP.

You need to learn how to program before worrying about which languages are worth using. A good place to start is by working through the book How to Design Programs: ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/

There's also an online course using the textbook if you're into that sort of thing edx.org/course/how-code-systematic-program-design-part-ubcx-spd1x

The books I'm studying right now are:

How Linux Works, 2nd ed
Python the Hard Way
And
The C Programming Language

Anything else I should be reading? Or is this a good start? Thanks!

That's a good start.

Why are you reading 2 programming language books?
Waste of time tot read 2

Because I want to learn both

This is good user. Pretty much where I started years ago except c++ instead of c

Still dumb way to do, since C is entirely different then python and to advance in both takes longer then reading 1 book.
I wonder if you could even make sense of both languages when you finished reading both books.

Usually you pick one and stay with it untill you want to advance more into other things.

This is a fair point dude and Python is getting more of my time and focus but I do want a base in both

Also python the hard way doesn't teach you programming, and the C programming language is more a reference to the C language and even really old..
C programming a modern approach 2 is the king, also you want to learn programming links above are good starting points.

For most people, you're not going to really learn until a third party starts giving you tasks to do. It's probably not too late to sign up for Intro to Java at your local community college.