Why does Sup Forums think Windows is written so poorly?

Why does Sup Forums think Windows is written so poorly?

I've crashed twice in my six years of using Windows 7 and one time it was my fault for not seating the RAM properly.

Meanwhile Linux has crashed on me a dozen times in the three years I've used it.

>INB4 m-muh big corporation

Ubuntu and Fedora are the only distros that don't crash once a week but still every so often.

So maybe Linux is written poorly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TGLhuF3L48U
youtube.com/watch?v=kp0oMPww-t4
cvedetails.com/top-50-vendor-cvssscore-distribution.php
cvedetails.com/vendor/26/Microsoft.html
cvedetails.com/vendor/33/Linux.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

(。>﹏

poojeets

Because they are too mentally retarded to use it properly.

Loonixfags like to pretend they're more tech savvy than the rest but my experience is that their only experience with Windows has been with the shitty oem-packaged versions of Windows and never used a fresh install in their life.

Because windows 7 is the best OS and Linux users dont do anything aside from rice their anime desktop and dont use any hardware other than old thinkpads

Because Sup Forums is full of contrarian, tin-foil-hat wearing, autistic, weebs.

The truth is, is that while a good chunk of of Sup Forums probably runs linux on the side, I bet that most of the people running linux also have a windows machine available to them (or they're dual booting) because of some of the shit that Windows JUST WERKS for.

People who say they 'only run Linux', aren't doing any real work with computers, they just want to feel superior when they check their email and shitpost on 4chins... or they're just lying.

For a large part of its life, it was. It's gotten a lot better though.

youtube.com/watch?v=TGLhuF3L48U
youtube.com/watch?v=kp0oMPww-t4

I do understand the love for Linux. It has its place on the market and in the community. Its great for certain needs, things and people..
But i do not understand the hate on windows, honestly. I personally never had problems with a good instal of windows and a day worth on optimizing, provided i also have good, undamaged hardware..

is this the notorious cuteposter

wh-who?

I didnt hate it before, but now with my upgrade to windows 10 I'm about to format my computer for the third time in a month. It works for two weeks normaly until one morning I can't boot anymore, everything points to some shitty mandatory update that breaks the OS.
Unfortunaly for me windows is a must, but MS's products are being fruits of disappointment.

bloat

windows 10 introduced something dangerous and stupid
you have 12 hours a day to use your pc (in practice not allways) and then it belongs to whims of mc
there are ways to disable the service for a while and do your updates manually but who know for how long until it's patched

there is also a problem with windows taking minutes sometimes to kill a process that is hogging everything to shit

What are you talking about? Windows is infinitely better than Linux.

After all we don't require dos usage or knowledge just to get basic shit done with ease :)...unlike Linux.

>Meanwhile Linux has crashed on me a dozen times in the three years I've used it.
What the fuck are you even doing?

>Meanwhile Linux has crashed on me a dozen times in the three years I've used it.
your RAM is probably not seated correctly.

anyways, 4/10. pretty low quality bait. you can do better.

Eh, it just works on MY machi-- oh wait. Fuck not again

>i don't want to know how my operating system works
>Sup Forums - Technology

most of us switched way before windows 7 came out. most of us have experienced windows 95 and windows ME.

oh and my linux boxes never crashed on me running debian, but i've installed shit like fedora core or ubuntu on some other boxes and laptops which crashed all the time but not as bad as mandrake or suse (9 and 10) which were the worst distros i've seen in my life

low quality bait, you can spend your entire time on Ubuntu without even touching the command line if you're just doing "basic shit" like web browsing, image editing, or whatever the fuck you do on a daily basis. Unless you're trying to run a Windows program under Linux, that requires a little more dicking around, but I mean that's like trying to run an Xbox game on a Playstation.

wait, wtf ? did they seriously remove the error codes and everything ?

I only switched like a year ago lol

Honestly even Ubuntu is a breath of fresh air, everything just feels faster and more stable, nothing ever freezes or quits unexpectedly, programs don't chug along when you first open them-- man it's pretty nice.

I use Arch now though, for the record

I don't think so, I just picked a random image off of Google. Last time I saw this screen (a month ago) it had error codes at the bottom

It's not fucking bait. Linux doesn't fucking work without command line bullshit. Not even unbuntu.

>we don't require dos usage or knowledge just to get basic shit done with ease
That's exactly what I need when I need to use Windows. I'd rather write 1 command into cmd instead of clicking my way through 4 Gui Windows.

more bait. nice

really ? have you ever tried to access ram beyond 4gb in windows xp ? or disable the fucking spyware in windows 10 ?

>basic shit

What the fuck are you even talking about? You do NOT need to use the command line to open a program, copy or move files, or even install a program if you're on a system like Ubuntu that has a Software Center.

I've had windows crash and shit itself many times. got a couple BSODs in the last month and multiple times had PC shut off randomly.

turns out I just had a bunch of shit and malware from being a retard with torrents, and also I pirated Win7 to begin with. used CCleaner to clean up my registry, used Revo unistaller to unfuck my shit from crap I had installed, and fixed the BSOD by reseating my RAM. got a $22 (no joke) water cooler from Fry's for my CPU and adjusted my settings to keep my CPU cool--my fans were spinning too slow and causing my PC to shut off during gaming.

really all the problems were easily fixed. on the other hand Ubuntu made me want to kill myself. I had initially used it on my pC beacuse I didn't want to pay for windows but I just got 7 for free anyway.

I'm gonna use mint on a thinkpad though.

How can you suck at using computers that much?

Hello faggot.
Hows the tracking bracelet?

nani?

Just letting ya know why Linux has never had adoption rates outside of the server realm.

Your choice to not listen.

>(You) count
+1

where do i get this feature?

is it true that u don't get yous anymore if u don't use Sup Forums x?

Leave her alone

Try and install something from outside a software repository...I'll wait.

The appropriate usage of the command line for the vast majority of users is...NEVER.

This is why.

I don't suck. I'm just a retard. I can do shit when it needs to be done but I'm too lazy. I probably could have gotten Ubuntu to work, but seeing as I wanted to use my PC to play games, it wouldn't really be feasible anyway. and anyway, I have no problems now.

I think my Ubuntu install was fucked to begin with though. text wasn't rendering properly upon booting from the disc.

yep

>Disgruntled Ganoo user spergs out

Post something new

>Why does Sup Forums think Windows is written so poorly?
IDK you tell me
1/?

>her
nice one.

2/?

search indexing is shit
the entire OS is designed to push software as a service and tracking
windows has great backwards compatibility, but that just holds them back. There's no reason to offer compatibility before XP or 7 at this point in a consumer OS, and it takes up hard drive space (inb4 space is cheap, that's not the point).

t. poojeet

tl;dr but the top bit is funny

have you ever looked at the fucking sourcecode ? it actually is really really poorly written
and i doubt much has changed since the leak because most windows vulns effect windows 2k up to windows 10

The Windows source code is actually really well written.
Go take a look at the leaked W2K NT source and compare it to open source projects such as Linux or any of the BSDs.
Well, maybe not Linux because Linux' codebase is a God awful mess, even compared to other open source projects such as openIndiana or the BSDs.

As for functionality and stability, Windows and Linux are about the same.
Both have their quirks and obvious flaws, but work okay regardless.

>Linux because Linux' codebase
Popular buzzword. Can you elaborate?

you should really stop doing crack, or learn programming and take a look at the leaked code again... but probably both.

cvedetails.com/top-50-vendor-cvssscore-distribution.php

Check the +9 segment and see the difference between Linux and Microsoft, now you ask yourself why we think it's poorly written.

They have QR codes now.

>looking at windows source code
Bill is that you?

Also check this ;

cvedetails.com/vendor/26/Microsoft.html

cvedetails.com/vendor/33/Linux.html

>he doesn't know about the leaked windows source
you aren't much older than 18 i guess ?

>MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH
Interesting codebase

Vista bullshit bingo by some Microsoft employees at that time

Security bullshit bingo, to be exact

All beliefs to the contrary, most commercial software is written by interns. They are supplied with tight specifications and absolutely no info about connecting modules.
Each module is tested in isolation. Many modules are assembled from pre-written stock sub-routines.
The software architects responsible for the specs and planning also write the testing specs.
It's a very different world to FOSS.

dafuq happened to linux in the 2015-2016 period?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>There's no reason to offer compatibility before XP or 7 at this point in a consumer OS, and it takes up hard drive space (inb4 space is cheap, that's not the point).
Yet Windows 10 still only consumes 3.5GB on a fresh install, rest is hibernate and swap file.
Fucking Android and iOS are mobile operating systems and they use more space (usually 4-7GB depending on manufacturer), macOS Sierra uses 18GB. Ubuntu uses 4.8GB and that doesn't count swap.

Windows 10 is actually pretty light and it boots fast as hell even on a hard drive. It's just a shame that the tracking and mandatory updates just kicks you in the teeth.

>it boots fast as hell even on a hard drive
It boots fast on my m.2, but I suspect literally anything would.

I switched my laptop over to Antergos and KDE, and it still booted faster on that hard drive than Windows 10

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

This is not because you didn't have problem with it that problem does not exist you know?

You can be that lucky guy that achieved to have a fully working Windows, despite the 95% of people with problems

>I switched my laptop over to Antergos and KDE, and it still booted faster on that hard drive than Windows 10
Different story here. 320GB spinning drive on my X230i.
Windows 10 boots in 8 seconds UEFI boot.
Lubuntu in 13 seconds, POST included.

That being said, is there a non-fucky way of installing Linux on UEFI?

I'm currently using 7 after switching from 10. I also use GNU/Linux on my daily machine. Here's my experience with Windows versions over the last decade.

Windows 10 is a security/privacy breach. It's basically unusable for anything personal, which kinda removes the P in PC. It also has too much control over the user instead of other way around. Also, it has lots of bloat you can't remove. Not to mention it has a terrible interface.

Windows 8.1 is basically a hybrid between desktop and tablet OS. Other than integrated app store and an additional home page it's basically Windows 7.

Windows 7 has no drivers after installation, forcing the user to download them each separately on a different machine (since wifi/ethernet drivers are also not present), though this is true for every Windows version. It also comes with no software, so you have to download software yourself as well. This is good usually as it keeps it lighter, but too time consuming as Windows tends to start falling apart after a month of use and by the end of the year you're left with nothing else but to reinstall it.

Windows Vista is basically a beta version of 7. At the time it was shit because of weak hardware, it's still shit because it was abandoned.

Windows XP is an old, unstable and easily infected OS. It would actually be the best of above if it had better hardware and software support, and permanently extended security updates. I would actually love to see it open sourced in a couple of years.

They both have their bugs, but everyone is forgetting that updates are handled in a way more efficient manner than windows.

On linux we can choose when to update, and when we do, it takes at most 5 minutes if you haven't touched your pc in a long while, and your updates are applied without having to restart. While in windows, (i do use insider preview, but still) it forces you to download updates, fucking up your ping without easily being able to disable the automatic downloading.

And after updates, restarting takes twice as fucking long than installing two linux distros from a floppy disk.

Also, shared packages between programs make installs take up much less space.

Android 4.4.2 used 800MB. This is shortly after a factory reset and with some additional apps integrated into system. Obviously, latest versions will consume more space due to additional features but I don't believe they're that bloated by default. Manufacturers do bloat them, Samsung for example shoves additional 1GB+ of bloat. though I won't do a factory reset now to test all this.
The fact that idiots/kids pile up data and useless cache is their problem, and same applies to desktop operating systems.

I have a powerful PC which has windows installed that I use to play games and a Thinkpad that only has Linux on it which I use for school work and programming.

This is the objectively best setup.

cute

Never had crashes with Debian Stable, what are you running?

This.
I have a Windows desktop purely for gaming and Photoshop/Adobe suite

I spend more time

ruri is cute!

I've crashed my home pc on windows probably 5 times or mores but its because i run a midly unstable overclock because fuck it