Newfag to Sup Forums and computer repair in general here, this is from a monitor, the capacitor on the right is busted...

Newfag to Sup Forums and computer repair in general here, this is from a monitor, the capacitor on the right is busted, right?
inb4 >dust

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

maybe, if you are having issues then go ahead and replace the capacitor to see if it fixes your issue.

No way to tell. Doesn't seem too bad imo it shouldn't cause it not to work.

only if it ruptured.
This one doesn't look that bad to me. At least from this angle...

Yeah, this monitor has been dead for a few months, don't know what the problem is exactly, or how to diagnose it, just doesn't turn on. It's a samsung syncmaster 2233 though, and I read that they use cheap capacitors so that's why I checked.
Well feeling the top of it, I can feel the subtle concave texture of it, as opposed to the straight flatness of the others. I'm pretty sure it's busted.

Thanks.

It looks moldy so it's probably past its expiration date.

I have many caps in this situation and they still work good as new

caps can puff up a bit and still fully work, if they aren't leaking a brown electrolyte fluid they haven't busted.

Huh. Well I don't really know what else could be wrong. Thanks again for replying to my dumb ass.

The backlight tubes wore ou and stoped working, just like happens in every CCFL-lit LCD monitor out there. I don't know how you idiots started dignosing every broken component as 'hurr durr capacitors'.

>caps can puff up a bit and still fully work, if they aren't leaking a brown electrolyte fluid they haven't busted.
That's not actually true. Electrolytics do wear out, but only one batch of Chinese knockoffs did the 'spew out the top' thing. That was also 15 years ago.
IT'S NOT LUPUS^H^H^H^H^HCAPACITORS

>only one batch of Chinese knockoffs did the 'spew out the top' thing
one batch?

And chinese?

They were Taiwanese, and it was from the late 90's up until the mid-late 2000s. Far more than ONE batch

not to mention, it can happen to any caps, the shit from taiwan was happening after 6-12 months sometimes, most caps take 5-10 years before they bust.

>They were Taiwanese, and it was from the late 90's up until the mid-late 2000s. Far more than ONE batch
No, they were knock offs of the taiwanese equivalent, and once they made it into the supply chain they popped up for a while. Google it, well documented.
Since then, autists around the net have been blaming it for everything so it sure seems like it's still happening (spolier: it's not)

Oh, sorry, knockoff Chinese electrolyte that made it into a bunch of caps, not just Chinese.

Just touch both ends at the same time. If the cap is working you should just feel a slight tingle.

Refer to the first two words of my first post. Thanks for the additional information though, I just googled around for a bit and came on a blogpost of a guy fixing his monitor and the broken capacitor looked exactly like mine does.

Yeah, one batch, _of electrolyte_. No caps have used the electrolyte since 2003 at the latest.

When you say "good as new" do you mean you actually measured their capacitance and ESR and confirmed those were what they should be? Just because the device hasn't (yet) straight-up failed doesn't mean the bulging caps are "good as new." Different devices may have different tolerances to how a capacitor behaves, just because it still works doesn't necessarily mean all the caps are in perfect order. Some circuits may not be as sensitive to a deteriorating cap, others may just stop working earlier.

Just replace it, it's cheap, quick and easy to do. Just because it hasn't straight-up fucking exploded doesn't mean it's good. It doesn't mean it's bad either, but there's obviously some bulging going on with that cap and replacing it is so simple that it's not even worth thinking about, just do it.

This is a subtle troll right?

E-Caps are still enormously popular in most consumer electronics

caps still can burst fuckwit, those caps were simply far more susceptible because of a chemical fuckup that caused them to slowly produce gas and pop open.

>No caps have used the electrolyte since 2003
[citation needed]

he's referring to the capacitor plague caps, not e-caps in general.

ofc the one on the right is still swollen.

My TV doesn't work? Must be the caps.
My car doesn't start? Must be the caps.
Waifu won't put out? Have you tried recapping her?

>caps still can burst fuckwit
Sure can! Try putting a few thousand volts through one!
Oh you mean for no fucking reason. Yeah, no.

>implying 1/4 it isn't the caps.

that is exactly what I'm >implying.
But by all means, replace the perfectly good caps and see if that fixes it.

caps are usually the first to go.
both of my motherboards have died because of it.
sisters TV died because of it.
computer monitor died because of it.

I think you mean they all died and you blamed the caps.
>both of my motherboards have died because of it.
Nearly all motherboards made in the last seven years use solid electrolyte caps that don't fail.
>sisters TV died because of it.
LCD TVs nearly always die of defects or worn out CCFL tubes (now that LEDs are more common, that's not happening as of the past year or so). CRTs almost always die from the HV system not being able to compensate for electron gun wear.
>computer monitor died because of it.
See above. Only Diamondtrons from the late 1980s routinely had bad caps (from a design flaw, not because of defective caps).

get a fucking multimeter and find the problem instead of guessing a random cap is broken

i meant what i said.
my motherboards were made in 2008.
surprisingly it worked for years with 2 blown caps...the last cap ended up giving me computer errors.
my brother-in-law replaced the blown caps
i decided to throw away my LCD monitor when i couldn't replace the board. (i didn't own a soldering iron and i have never used one so i didn't bother repairing it on my own.

>Refer to the first two words of my first post.
No, not you, I mean the idiots on this board. They think every goddamned problem is a capacitor.
Ironically I have a bunch of repair type posts including one recapping the resampler board on a Viewsonic from the era of legit bad caps. Your pic is a power supply/inverter board though.

There's a big difference between someone who actually knows what they're doing legit diagnosing a bad cap and... well... you.

"I thought it was bad caps, handed it to my brother in law and he fixed it. See, I was right!"

By the way, for future reference, concave is something that is curved inwards. Outwards curvature is convex.

Yeah, I always forget which one is which.

The way I memorized it is that con'cave' means that something caved in.

sure.
i guess you are right about that.
you need to be highly trained to see this and say, "hmmmmmm maybe its the graphics card?"

its impossible for it to be those caps.
its probably failing RAM sticks.

or it could be a failing hard drive...definitely not those caps.

component level technician here

buy components or salvage them from other old/junked hardware. often free tv's, dvd players etc. will contain caps you need. replace all components that look bad. ALL of them. you need to do this otherwise you might replace something that only blew/went bad because the thing before it was bad.

>2008
>Everyone has known about the bad caps problem for years
>still buying mobos using the cheap caps no other manufacturer will touch.
Hey man, it was cheap. Twice even!

>too fucking retarded to undestand what he's talking about
>starts posting anecdotal evidence

also that's an old piece of shit that got the bad caps, see using that to counter an argument just proves you're fucking retarded

>definitely not those caps.
Oh bad caps happen. Well happen*ed*. So what makes you think everything else is failing because of them?

"Engine's running rough there Fred."
"I know. Need to change the spark plugs."
"That's a diesel, Fred."
"When my last car ran rough it was the plugs."
"Diesels don't have plugs, Fred."
"Sounds like that's the problem then."

also thats just spotting broken caps, there's more involved in repairing electronics, you dumb fuck

GET A FUCKING MULTIMETER

I've done quite a couple monitor repairs since electronics high-school. I would suggest you replace all capacitors with the same type/brand so that you get a "lifecycle reset" on your monitor. If one failed, the others will follow in a year or less. Work once, so that you won't have to do a tear-down later down the road.

missing the point.
>its never the caps
sometimes its the caps
no shit Sherlock.
one of the first steps is replacing bad compnents...like bad caps.
> So what makes you think everything
>everything
when did i say it is always the caps.
i said sometimes its the caps.
ive had other devices fail for other reasons. its not always the caps.
find obvious broken parts.
then go from there.

no, you're missing the point

right one is bloated so its safe to say that they're bolt blown. replace them

So the only caps in the history of caps since 2000 that have blown are the single batch of plague caps?

thanks for confirming you missed the point

so its never the caps?
all electrolyte caps made after 2005 are fine and will never go out?

you implying he's not smart enough to tell either way isn't helping anyone here desu senpai.

Caps can and will burst, even brand new caps if it has a manufacturing defect. Good quality caps from ~2005 are getting past their expected life at this point and I have personally seen a few of those blown, good quality Japanese caps

You are wrong

nice fallacy implying, keep showing your stupid

of course, thats how everything works. and thats not what im implying at all, but spotting blown caps vs OPs caps and other general tech repair shit is two different things.

get a fucking multimeter

you: NO ITS NEVER THE CAPS
me: b-b-but sometimes it can be
you: nice fallacy.

I have a board which does look flawless, but the capacitors are all dead anyway. Probably dried out or some shit.

thats not what i said nor what i implied

what are you implying then?
i said sometimes it is the caps and yet you rage and say that it probably isn't caps because exploding caps are a myth.
im not disagreeing with you that sometimes it can be other things. usually it is.
but saying that it is never due to caps is just as stupid as saying its always the caps.
that is all.

Fucking idiot this is Sup Forums take this shit over to /diy/ where it belongs stop shitting up my board

THEN SPEAK PLAINLY YOU FUCKING AUTISTIC SPERGLORD

go back to your watch/guts/OS/computer threads

As soon as desktop threads come back

>calling somebody a sperglord
>on fucking fourchins
>being an actual sperglord

Get a fucking room, you two

>rage
ok...?

you're probably confusing me with someone else, i just said you're fucking retarded for posting pictures of your obviously blown and leaking caps as "evidence" for anything in response to the other guy saying there's a difference between you and a certified technician (or a extremely experienced self taught one).

how is "you're missing the point" not plain?
>all caps
>calls someone else autistic sperglord

Thou shall join us then, i assume?

Room for 3, please!

>all caps

It was shift, did you just assume what keys i held down?

It's not gay, if it's in a threeway

>implying "all caps" means CAPS LOCK

my images were simply to show that sometimes its the caps. (it could've been other things as well but to say the caps have nothing to do with it is just plain retarded)

>implying that implying implies you didnt mean CAPS LOCK

Ok buddy.

but it was not relevant, hence "missing the point"

yeah, "all caps" means "all capital letters".

>not relevant,
>Newfag to Sup Forums and computer repair in general here, this is from a monitor, the capacitor on the right is busted, right?
>the capacitor on the right is busted, right?
>the capacitor
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
>Yeah, one batch, _of electrolyte_. No caps have used the electrolyte since 2003 at the latest.
>not relevant
yeah okay

It also means all capacitors.

Are they blown?, are they the reason?

Also means all caps lock too.

Youre still evading the question and just giving the guy vague answers instead of answering the question however.

Because you dont know the answer.

your pictures were not a reply to OP, hence irrelevant

no one has asked me a question

no it was a reply to a person saying that bad capacitors are a myth.
again:
OP asks if his capacitor needs replacing
user: sure change it. it could be a bad one.
user: oh god, why does everyone always say its the capacitor!!!
user: cause sometimes it is
user: no you're stupid
user: posts pics of exploded caps
user: nope, not relevant!

the OP stated a question, what did you reply to in the start?, Oh right.

Keep evading.

>OP's question
why the fuck do i have to answer that when im discussing something completely different? are you fucking retarded?

but just to make you shut the fuck up: i already answered that in another post

probably because OPs cap looks fine.

>So the only caps in the history of caps since 2000 that have blown are the single batch of plague caps?
The only caps that have blown from being defective in the memory of anyone here is from the (failed) electrolyte formula theft in China, yes.
And, to be fair, it was one hell of a batch. People started noticing quickly, but they were *so cheap* and as long as lawyers meant *no one had to accept responsibility*, plenty of manufacturers kept using the bad caps they bought through the supply chain (or committed to buy) until they were all used up.
I mean, hey, what are you gonna do? RMA it and wait six months or buy another one? Win Win (and win and win and win)!

>no it was a reply to a person saying that bad capacitors are a myth.
You're arguing with the wrong person; I'm the user you have an issue with. I said "You autists blame absolutely everything on bad caps".
There have been four monitor threads over the past week here and on /diy/, and although we're yet to figure out what happened here, the other tree were not caps. But long after OP had figured that out, people were still suggesting he replace the caps.

FPS drops in Battlefield? Replace the caps.
Poor WiFi signal? Replace the caps.
Gummy oatmeal? Replace the caps.

I service electronics all day every day. I haven't seen a legit failed cap in about six years. I haven't seen one bulging/leaking for close to 10. Maybe others have, but goddamn guys. You will parrot fucking anything half plausible for-fucking-ever.

and this is how i see it when people say its never the blown capacitor.
>post picture of motherboard with 5 blown capacitors.
could be a bad ram stick or cpu but its not the capacitor because that is something that happened 15 years ago. its not a problem today. i see that your caps are bulging and one has exploded but its probably something else.

i simply posted pics of my motherboard with 5 messed up caps.
>that sometimes its the caps.
SOMETIMES

Then maybe you're not the user who also claimed it was why his monitor died and his sister's TV died and his pet iguana died?

>sometimes
if you have old ass hardware made during cap plague, sure

(Also, posting motherboard made during the era of bad caps, which no one claimed didn't happen.)

no, i am the same.
ive also had other devices fail for other reasons.
the ones i stated also had blown caps. are you implying that the blown caps didn't need replacing?

>After I removed the bulging cap FROM THAT MOTHERBOARD my iguana ate it and died.
I _might_ grant cause and effect there.

blown and bulging? Ah, so also from the era of cap plague.
...I guess it's still fun to keep arguing, but it's long past there being any point.

that doesn't mean anything.
a bad capacitor is a bad capacitor that needs replacing.
doesn't matter if the device is 50 years old or 1.
a bad capacitor is a bad capacitor that needs replacing.

Show me a bad capacitor from a device manufactured in the past year. Pic, with post number. I'll wait.

caps made before and after cap plague dont exhibit the same obvious damage as those chink shit caps

right, the outgassing that blew the vent was characteristic of the botched/fake electrolyte.

You can get normal caps to pop the vent, but only with massive overloading.

Nevertheless, I'll accept a pic of said cap on an LCR bridge demonstrating out-of-spec performance.

and what does that have to do with replacing bad components?
my point has always been the same.
caps can go bad.
just like cpus, hdd, and ram.
if it looks bad
check it
if it is bad
replace it.
test the device
does it work?
yes: stop

someone suggesting to replace a bad cap isn't retarded.
it is retarded to go straight to capacitors if its a simple computer error.
but when all you have to go on is a single picture of 3 capacitors, then the only suggestion is to replace messed up looking caps.

>if it looks bad
but OPs cap doesnt

>check it
need a multimeter for that like i already said

>someone suggesting to replace a bad cap isn't retarded.
suggesting it when it looks fine and without actually fucking checking it with a multimeter, THAT IS RETARDED

>caps can go bad.
over the timespan of decades
>just like cpus
over the timespan of centuries
>hdd
have you tried replacing the caps?
>ram
Pretty much only from static damage.
>someone suggesting to replace a bad cap isn't retarded.
Someone suggesting, in the absence of any other evidence, that the problem is probably a cap... is indeed retarded.
>but when all you have to go on is a single picture of 3 capacitors
All of which look normal and from a recent device
>then the only suggestion is to replace messed up looking caps.
If he posted a pic of his cat, would you suggest replacing the cat?
Or just replacing the cat's capacitors?

i agree.
replacing components blindly is retarded.
>implying its never the electrolytic capacitor is also retarded.

looking normal and working normal are two different things.
its why you test them.
do you also open the hood of your car and say, yup! everything looks normal.

>do you also open the hood of your car and say, yup! everything looks normal.
If the car runs fine, yes.
If the car does not run fine, I do not start by removing and testing all the capacitors.