Best linux distro and why?

best linux distro and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
linuxfromscratch.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The one I use. Everybody should use it.
The distro you use is gay, and nobody should use it.

Linux 10

/thread
Also, NixOS or get fucked.

>inferior distros can't run other distros

WTF I love LXQT now

Xubuntu GNU/Linux because just werks.

Mint

nice try hacker

best distro is always lightweight and flexible

#!++ or manjaro

you're welcome

Peppermint OS 7

>it just werks
>plenty of software
>ICE application allows for quick and painless web services integration

rhel/centos or debian.
why ? ever had a job working with linux or worked at a company using linux on their workstations ? they all use rhel/centos or debian for a reason: they are fucking stable

QubesOS don't count, it's cheating. Would be unfair to the rest of us.

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution that can heal broken installs. And (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portgage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (packages) not found in the grimoire (repository) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Come and join sourcemage.org/

>muh stability

Yeah, Red Hat is the bomb on a server farm but I don't want those dusty ass packages on my new laptop.

You mean gnu/linux or gnu plus linux, there are only a couple of linux distribution, linux and linux-libre, but there are thousands of distributions of the gnu linux operating system.

Debian, the universal operating system provides the best avalible gnu/linux distribution: it is called Debian GNU/Linux. You can get it from debian.org.

job doesn't mean jerking off in your mothers basement
stability also is important for workstations

And how do you know OP is looking to install Linux for work related reason and not on his PC? Don't you think he'd know what distro he'd need if he was doing it for work?

elementary OS

Doesn't look like absolute fucking dogshit

Debian

i still have some hope that some people here can stop being neets and get out of their mothers basements.

it's an OS X ripoff with shitty native applications

Except every distro that has KVM modules built in can run other distros with 1 package install away.

Exactly, they knew what to copy. It's sexy as fuck and literally the only bearable distro out there

Best korea has best distro.

Red Star OS is pure beuty. Just look at this beauty, LOOK!

RHEL sucks ass for servers, only reason people use it is because of support/contracts.
You are fine using any distro if you have competent sysadmins that know their stuff.

All kneel to best distro.

I has a question from a non-linux enthusiast:

Isn't Linux basically completely modular outside of the kernel? Can't you basically take Arch for example and turn it into Mint using enough apt-get magic?

indeed

You are right, except for the "apt-get magic" part.

The only thing that will be extremely difficult is the package manager, which is the real difference in opinions among advanced users.

For example, when you say "apt-get" you are referring to a Devuan/Debian-like package manager, while Arch has pacman as the package manager.

Oh, almost forgot about systemd which is like a totally different OS altogether, but better not enter into that because we will have fanboys shitposting here right away.

dunno about rhel on servers, our managed workstations all run centos, but my project teams internal boxes and servers are all debian and i don't have much to do with the centos boxes, but they i've never had any issues with them when i had to work on them or deploy stuff to them

I use Mint Debian Edition. idgaf guise

There is no answer to your question because "best" is determined by the purpose of the OS.
>desktop
Any rolling release distro so you get support for newer hardware, or something stable if you're afraid of potential crashes
>server
Any stable release distro, preferably with packages you need pre-installed
>workstation
Whatever distro comes with your preferred software, or just a basic desktop distro where you'll install needed software

The only difference between distributions is default software and desktop environment and this is all personal preference, other differences are usually under the hood and unnoticed by most users.

I don't know if it's the absolute best, but I got openSUSE as my main distro and it's the nicest I've used so far. Shit just works.

Is it even possible to switch package managers within a distro?

Not that I'd ever do that - I'm just curious how much work that would take.

Did You run windows XP alongside other operating systems? once upon a time.

Why cant we do it right now?

>Is it even possible to switch package managers within a distro?
there are apt ports for other distros

>Is it even possible to switch package managers within a distro?
possible, for a GNU/Linux wizard

but most people just "distro hop", which is another term for installing a different distro

Windows 10. I can run all my software on it as well as the other linuxy shit!

tri boot debian/arch/win7 for work, games, and rice. love having three drives on this bitch laptop

>implying you can't run winshit software on linux
>implying windows can run linux software
>implying kvm
>implying linux software is not superior

Its just new software, relax guys.

>server
ubuntu - most popular, largest community, this means good support, LTS is stable yet modern

>honorable mentioned server
centOS - stable reliable free red hat

>desktop
arch - very popular, large community, very up to date packages, AUR is the largest repo, easily customizable, no bloat

>honorable mentioned desktop
openSUSE - all around good and solid

So, final verdict, Red Star OS is best linux?

>Arch
Nobody has time for that. Apricity and Manjaro will just work.

CentOS has all the freedom RHEL doesn't, for example you aren't allowed to use packages outside their repos ( a lot of people just do it) but they have lots of old packages and sometimes you just need up to date ones because of features or other things.
We switched from RHEL to Gentoo because it's a lot easier to make or grab a patch if needed and rebuild the thing also easy to maintain because we compile everything from 1 server and distribute the packages with patches or kernels instantly.

Looks pretty nice comrade but check out Cuba's distro: Nova

You can still rip systemd out of Debian and until that's no longer so I will continue to use it. It's the standard de-facto Linux after all, despite all of Red Hat's scheming.

Once every distro requires systemd and dbus I will go back to FreeBSD.

My bet some source based distros will pack with an installer and binary packages as an option, so we can prevent this OS apocalypse.

BROONG!!

Avaliable categories:
Best distro for certain purpose
Distro you like more

Ubuntu
Just werks.

Solus and I'm not even Kevin. Just Werks™ as well as Ubuntu whilst being more polished and less bloated.

Repository has less packages but everything I've needed so far is there, and if not I could just build from source anyway.

Solus honestly made me so happy the first time I used it because I was sick of Debian / Kubuntu / Ubuntu always having little things that felt unpolished or broken, but when I first installed solus everything felt great.

>inb4 shill
The reason everyone shills Solus is because it's actually really good, it's become meme tier but it's not even a meme.

fuck off Kevin

Solus is pretty good teebeeh, think I'm going to install it on my x220 soon

Are you sure Kevin?

This

slackware my nigguh
thank me later

Holy shit does that look sexy

what about BunsenLabs? how does that compare to #!++?

/thread

its depends on what YOU prefer.

I like Arch and Debian.

>Not that I'd ever do that - I'm just curious how much work that would take.
Never done it myself but it shouldn't be much. The real hassle would be synchronizing the newly installed package manager which is close to impossible without help or well written scripts.

I mean you can easily delete your package manager and compile a new one, making them useful package managers is hard.

Also on the subject, distros are the same. There isn't much difference in general and in abstract sense package managers and repos are the only things separating one from the others, so you might as well hop distros.

To be serious, you first need to define criteria of being best because it is strongly subjective then define objective function and find your best distro. You can't just make threads on Sup Forums asking that question.

Chapeau. Fedora's Mint.

The best distro is Debian with current programs, which is just Ubuntu, but with Xfce over Unity.

In the end, the best distro is Xubuntu.

Fedora. Regularly updated (unlike Ubuntu) and it has been the most stable for me.

The best linux distro, is the one you make yourself
>linuxfromscratch.org

Ubuntu because of Unity and it just werks.

Debian Testing/Unstable on KDE

kevin please

>Fully committed to GPL
dropped

>being that much of a computer illiterate

>linuxfromscratch.org
share what ss what linux u created from scratch :)

Slackware does not contribute to the Linux community, it never did.
Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, SUSE Linux are trying their best to take linux computing further by actually developing stuff. What did Slackware ever do. It's been there for ages. It survived so long but yet to achieve ANYthing. Much like a cockroaches that survived ice age but never really obtained anything meaning full like Dinosaurs or Mammoths.
This might hurt you but Slackware community is a poison that Linux has no use for. What did they ever contribute to? Developing/contributing to BTRFS? Snapper? Kcraft/Kernel hotpatching? FreeDesktop? GNOME? KDE? Wayland? Mir? Snaps? Flatpak? LXC containers? OpenZFS? OBS? Convergence? KVM? High-end Xeon (or instanbul) support? GRO? Systemd-ui/kcm? KIWI?

I'll tell you what slackware ever did: Bitch and moan about systemd - because bitching and moaning is ONLY what Slackware is good for. It's pathetic and has a negative effect on the community.

The slackware userbase is just as pretentious: they never did anything productive because they are too busy in going to online forums to show off their manual dependency management skills instead of getting real things done. They will NOT like to admit there's no dependancy management because there's a sever lack of devs as mentioned in the number one reason in Slackware faqs. They'll BLINDLY follow what their cult leader do: use an abandonware bootloader and preach its superiority over any other bootloaders, or sperg about how vanilla their distro is.
When they are asked why they use the distro they ALL will give you the same brainwashed, mindless response: "Because of stability".
The users seem to forget the simple fact that Slackware does NOT fix ANY (again: ANY) upstream bugs. So if there's any bug in x-org or gtk, those packages will be just as buggy in Slackware as in Ubuntu. They just seem to forget that Slackware isn't more stable than other distros with the SAME bugs that causes instability.
Some of them will claim "Slackware doesn't have distro specific bugs"
However as I write this Slackware has had total of 35 security vulnerabilities: 9 of which is DoS, 13 remote code excecution, 10 Overflows, a memory corruption, a login bypass and 3 privilege esclations. (CVE details)

Now I know what you are thinking: "I should put my feet on the backpedal and claim it has ((less)) distro specific bugs"
Excuse me? I heard slackware is a "vanilla distro". If it were SO great, why are there vanilla bugs. If you are comparing to distros that are ten times more usable like ubuntu, I'd trade those bugs with usability and productivity. Ubuntu has paid, professional maintainers unlike an unemployed community of hobbyists.

I think we should completely exile them, they can move to BSD or some other garbage.

>Redhat
R they good for personal use? I mean they are good for servers but for private use?

WTF is /leftypol/'s deal with Linux?

RedHat is fantastic for servers, the best. But not for desktop use due to the dated packages, if you want an RPM based distro use Fedora. If you want free RedHat then use CentOS for your server needs.

You're being used as free unpaid beta testing with fedora.

>being this retard

get fucked systemd fanboy, like every other fanboy you are quick to criticize but you love poettering's dick

fuck off with your red hat shilling

It's copy pasta. Some autists here hate slack and the BSDs for some delusional reason. Made me want to give slackware a try desu.

Holy shit w2c???

xubuntu is literal shit, there is no best one. if you are edgy bleeder--fedora, if u are a grown man--debian.

You should try first

This shit is like seeing someone you know in a dream.

It could be him, or maybe not, it definitely looks like him, but your mind is pulling parts from your uncle's face and making you doubt.

in the end you're sure you dreamt about someone, but could not be sure if his face was the face.

>http
nope

This

Void. Works great. No systemd. No OpenRC. Systemd is crap when they break it on updates. OpenRC doesn't work well with Nvidia drivers.

Objectively best is Gentoo I suppose but I don't have the patience for compiling every single shit so I use Arch instead

Bedrock because it makes it easy to do anything you want with it.

Is Ubuntu any good if I'm not a programmer? Been considering that to get out of Botnet 10.

>best linux distro
debian
>why?
why not

How's OpenSUSE in comparison to ubuntu for beginners?